Sunday, March 8, 2020

Maneuvering Down the Genealogy Highway

I have a new cousin! Probably third cousin, maybe fourth. And it's a very cool story. But first, the background!

Several years ago when watching "Finding Your Roots," comedian Stephen Colbert's story was featured. As host Henry Louis Gates, Jr., gave him his family tree, he revealed a familiar name -- Leatherman. That's a name I knew well from my mother's family and it set me to wondering, "Is Stephen Colbert my cousin?"

That question sent me down the Genealogy Highway, trying to dig out the story of my mother's ancestors. I've mentioned this here before -- discovering my great grandfather's story (he was in one of Michigan's insane asylums for the last 13 years of his life); finding the graves of my great grandmother and her father in Michigan and her grandparents in Ontario; and visiting the home site and the church where my second great grandparents on her mother's side were married while we were in London. I even set up a blog about that family search.

But I really knew very little of my dad's family, especially on his father's side. So when I discovered the photo of Hannah Wells Holcomb Hard, my fourth great grandmother, I was curious to learn more.


I started out with her name and dates on the back of the card, which I assumed were birth and death dates -- 1765-1865. A search on various genealogy sites revealed some information but far too many holes to be sure I was looking for the right person. But then I remembered something else I had found at home quite some time ago with little context.


It was a book -- a photo yearbook -- published in 1896 -- that highlighted the first 100 years of Ohio's Western Reserve. This is basically the Cleveland area and the towns in several surrounding counties. There were some badly scrawled references to certain pages and some names marked with an asterisk in the index. One of those names? Hannah Wells Hard. And sure enough, there was the photo of my fourth great grandmother, along with her daughter, Harriet, my third great grandmother.


This gave me another search term -- Cleveland. And when that went in, along with the name, I came up with a rather long book written by Harriet's daughter (my second-great-gran's sister) which included at the front a history of the family. The book was online and after some copying and pasting, now lives as a word doc for my reference.

I've always had a warm feeling and great affinity for Cleveland, given that cousins on my mother's side all live there and we've visited for many years. I love the city, what I know of it. I had no idea I had some connection to it!

The book had loads of information on the founding of the region, the churches, the colleges (Baldwin - now Baldwin Wallace - and Oberlin) and the various organizations, notably the Women's Club (responsible for the publication of the book) and the Women's Christian Temperance Union. Let's just say my ancestors would not approve of Cork Poppers!

The online book sent me back to Familysearch.org, with some names and locations. Their records revealed interesting things like Theodore Parmalee's Revolutionary war records (or some of them). Whether this was Harriet's husband Theodore or his father is still up for grabs, but it is the direct line, which gives yet another generation's information.


Well, I couldn't keep all this to myself. I posted this page on my Facebook page and one of my friends, the wonderful Kim, my IT Goddess (without her, I'm not sure I'd have a working computer!), wrote, "I have a Parmelee in my family tree."


Well, it turns out -- I think -- that her second great gran Eliza Parmelee, is my second great gran Lucia Parmelee Davis' sister. It was their sister who wrote the history I found online.

Should the DNA check out -- or more facts -- it would appear we are probably third or fourth cousins. I can't think of a better person to add to my family tree!

And as for my people? Well, this is Lucia's daughter, Adelia, and her husband, Henry Croope (what a beard!), my great grandparents. It's hard for me to wrap my brain around all that!


I have no idea how this daughter of a doctor met farmer Henry Croope, or where. I do know, though, that she kept bees!


I have some direct information on Delia (my dad wrote this letter to his mother who was in the hospital when Dad was eight. Apparently he was really missing his mom!)


I can see why. She also served up Dad's pet chicken, Pedro, for dinner one night and when someone said "That was good," she said, "That was Pedro." Dad was about eight and I don't think he ever forgave her. Nor was he that fond of chicken for the rest of his life. I also have the eulogy he wrote for her when she died. She, too, was active in the Temperance Union. I'm not sure if we would have got along.


From Hannah to Harriet, Harriet and Theodore to Lucia, Lucia to Adelia, Adelia and Henry to Charles and the Charlie to my dad.


And Dad to me.


So many people I never knew I had. Some I discovered by sheer accident. My people.

45 comments:

R's Rue said...

Wow.

Evi Erlinda said...

It is a great news that you discover new ancestors, and indeed, cousins as well!

Sandi said...

His pet chicken?? 😕

So, are you related to Stephen Colbert?

Valerie-Jael said...

Your genealogy studies are taking you back in time on a fascinating journey. Glad you have even found a new family member! Well done on keeping on the search, and good luck on discovering even more. Hugs, Valerie

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I love genealogy. We learn so many interesting things, not just about your families but also about the nation and what it took to built it.

When I think of you the first thing that comes to mind is your bright smile. You clearly didn't get that from the ancestors you featured in this blog post.

Karen said...

This is amazing! good for you to keep the search going ~ I probably would have turned vegan too if my grandma fed me my pet! The note is priceless ~ Blessings to you

Mary Rose's said...

Loving this new development in your search!
The stories, especially Pedro the Chicken. (Your poor father...!)
I've just begun an ancestry.com search of my own and have been so impressed by, and so grateful to, those who have preserved the stories and photos of earlier generations.
XOXO
Maryanne in SC

Pamela said...

How interesting! Love the stories!

Susan Kane said...

This is astounding.

Karen said...

Happy WOmen's Day.
And isn't it great to finally get it all sorted out!!!
Great family story Jeannie, thank you for sharing.

My name is Erika. said...

Nice detective work. And photos too. Last year my great-grandfather's brother's great grand-daughter (now that is a mouthful) lead me to a book with my great-grandfather's photo in it. So I get your enthusiasm. Happy Sunday. Hugs-Erika

Prims By The Water said...

You chicken story reminded me of when my grandfather named a cow after me and then I found out later it was butchered. I hated him for that. Janice

Lynne said...

You inspire me to check out “my tree!”
Now to just get with it!

Mae Travels said...

Such great sleuthing work! Every discovery seems to find new people and histories for your family tree.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

So fun to find out that you and your friend share an ancestor! Wonderful to read about your family tree - it's always so fascinating. Love seeing all the photos. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your search! xx Karen

bobbie said...

How fabulous!!! And how sad about Pedro! Keep us posted about what else you discover ~ fascinating!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Diligence and persistence pay off eventually. Tiny scraps of information soon start to tie together. I have recently found two new cousins too, rather, they found me!

~~~Deb in Wales

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, what an interesting post. My son is into genealogy and has done quite a bit of research. I love the letter from your Dad to his mother, how sweet that you have it. Have a delightful week!

I need orange said...

You are finding out so much! Good for you. :-)

Iris Flavia said...

We have two Leathermans here (or is it Leathermen then?) - a tool that helped us through a lot!

Amazing how your feelings relate to all of this!!
And wow!!
We are more or less all one people, huh.

OH! LOL! Poor Pedro! My Mum was like that, also :-)

Especially the last pic nearly made Ingo come over as I "aawwwwed" so loud :-)
Cute! Very cute. Both of you. Sweet.
Thank you for sharing all this!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

My trips into genealogy started with boxes of papers in my mother's closet. After her death I became guardian to lots of "stuff" my sister wanted to throw away. I went through and tried to make sense of lots of photos and papers. I made a tree on ancestry.com and shared it with my sister, brother, in-laws, and nephews. They do not have to start from scratch but can add to tree. I did the DNA test too. It hasn't been very helpful yet but I have hopes. Wonderful post - it's a journey and I enjoyed visiting yours.

Hena Tayeb said...

Oh wow that is incredible.

Arti said...

Wow how about that? Your long search as a genealogy detective. You should write a book about it. BTW, that leads me to think of a book I read about a woman's search of her own family history. Have you read Inheritance by Dani Shapiro? That's one amazing but disturbing read.

The French Hutch said...

Enjoyed looking at all the pics. Especially the last one of you and your dad. Jeanie, you had the same smile as an infant! I know you treasure this new info and findings.......

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love watching Finding Your Roots! Your family history is interesting. Having photos to go along with it is priceless. That note your dad wrote is adorable. Kids are so funny how they express themselves. How awesome it is that one of your friends turns out to be related!

Sami said...

Love that you are discovering new family members and have found photos and articles about them.
Your Dad's note to his mom is so cute.
The story about the chicken reminds me of one about my Dad when he was about 6 or 7. He used to have a duck that used to follow him all over, this was during the war and of course one day being short of food his Mom killed the duck and served it for lunch. A few hours later when he couldn't find the duck he was told it had been killed and he was devastated.

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Great stories! I wish that Stephen was my cuz. I'm his biggest fan. Thanks for sharing, Jeanie. Stay healthy!!

Victoria Zigler said...

Very interesting, and congratulations on finding more relatives. :)

Sandra at Maison De Jardin said...

Jeanie, this is fascinating. You have inspired me to begin the journey. Something I have always wanted to do. I may bug you for help.

Wishing you a great week!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Jeanie, you may have inspired me to return to my own genealogy search which I began a year or so ago, then stopped. I asked a few cousins for information, but never received much except from one. So it was really slow going. I am not a FB user (and don't plan to join up) fan so that avenue is closed, but I may try some online sources again. I really enjoyed reading how you have found family members and of course seeing those photos!

Rita C at Panoply said...

Genealogy is such a fascinating rabbit hole!

BeachGypsy said...

I am so thrilled for you for all the info and pictures you've found!! I am fascinated by genealogy--to me it's so interesting, even other people's families, LOL! Love your history and your genealogy posts!

Pam said...

Don't you just LOVE knowing your family history. I do and mom had done so much work on her dad's side and my aunt did it on my dads side. I love it all.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Very interesting...There is not much on my family as a friend of mine did a search for me....She did find some documents on my paternal grandfather like when he clae to America and why and the ship he came on but that was about it and I am good with that....Thanks so much for always stopping by!!
Hugs,
Debbie

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Wow, you have done wonderful work researching your family. It is neat to find cousins and new relatives. I enjoyed the story and the photos are wonderful. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just love this stuff! How exciting to reach into your ancestry! Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

DUTA said...

The journey is a fascinating one, the discoveries of relatives along this journey are exciting, and yet... I've done it and when trying to contact descendants I often got disappointed.
In spite of this, I highly reccommend embarking on a genealogical quest.

ashok said...

Interesting post

Marilyn Miller said...

How fascinating! Oh that chicken story; so many back then would do things like that. My husband still remembers his mother trying to kill a family turkey for Thanksgiving. It was indeed a different time. And bee keeping, how fascinating! My grandpa did that and would cut a chunk out of the hive and bring it for evening meal on bread. Yummm!

Sandra Cox said...

What an exciting journey through your family history.

Anca said...

It's fascinating to learn so much about your ancestors and, of course, to discover relatives. I love to see all those pictures too, it must be very special for you to be able to see them and discover details from their everyday lives.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

So cool! You are very good at researching genealogy! There is so much to learn if you have the time, patience, and desire to research! I love that note from your dad to his mom. Too cute. There's no one like mama!

William Kendall said...

Fascinating!

Lowcarb team member said...

So fascinating, wonderful story and photographs.

All the best Jan

Sherry's Pickings said...

family history is a fascinating thing. i have been doing a bit of research lately into mine. lots of germans there...

Popular Posts