Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Postcards From the Lake: The Season of Abundance

There are those who say the season of abundance is autumn. I don't entirely disagree. But for me it begins about six weeks before the calendar officially tells us it is fall. By midsummer, and definitely in mid-August, the markets are beginning to be packed with things fresh from the farms. And it is glorious! 

 

Cherry season is over here in Northern Michigan, though some "imported" bags can be found at the grocery store. But early in the season, I bought a half-peck, then a quarter-peck and finally just a quart or two as the supply diminished. Michigan sweet black cherries are probably my favorite fruit, perhaps because their season is short.

 

I confess, I cannot stop when they come in. They are so tasty! If only cherry season was right before one's colonoscopy!

 

Now it is that wonderful mid-August time. Rick and I headed to the market and came home with enough food to keep us going far beyond the rest of our stay. At the top of the list were blueberries. The Michigan blueberries this year have been exceptionally sweet  -- it would be a sin to add even a little sugar to a bowl. At times like this, I wish I still made pie!

 

When I was younger, and before the neighbors on one side clear cut every tree and bush in a double lot to build their big, long house, my neighbor Eulah used to have loads of tiny blue huckleberries growing low to the ground on that lot, between the pines and other bush.

 

My cousins and I would pick them. It would take hours just to get a decent haul. So many to fill even a coffee mug. Getting them from the blueberry lady is a much better, if pricier, plan. 

 

This is my Fruit Guy at the farm market (yes, I have a fruit guy). He  isn't having peaches this year, which is a pity. Last year's were so sweet and juicy. He said apples are coming in next week. Instead, he had delicious melons! I also bought more than my share of summer squash to grill when making chicken or burgers. It's just so wonderful brushed with a little olive oil and seasoning and grilled up -- still a bit crunchy and firm but definitely warm and delicious!
 
 
 
And this is my Tomato Guy. Well into his 80s, he's still bringing wonderful vegetables and tomatoes to the small Friday market. Last year he missed the season with a bad bout of pneumonia. This year he's back. I see a half-bushel of Roma tomatoes in my future and many containers of sauce or soup!
 
 
 
Our fridge is packed with freshness -- tomatoes, blueberries, zucchini and summer squash, fresh cucumbers and peppers, canteloupe, and peaches. And, you can add sweet corn to that too -- a dozen freshly picked ears, soon to be devoured!
 
 
 
Add to that my own basil, thyme, mint and cherry tomatoes and you can tell, we won't be starving!
 
I had left a rotisserie chicken for my cat sitter when we went to Gladwin, along with pizza, ham and some other things. He left the chicken, which turned into first dinner course for Rick and me, then an easy chicken salad. I added loads of herbs and cherry tomatoes from my garden, red onion and blueberries from the farm market and some walnuts. When you are sorry to see the last of your chicken salad devoured, you know you've hit on a good recipe. And can you beat fresh corn and a caprese salad for a good dinner?
 
 
 
Same for the anything-goes peach crumble (which turned out to also have blueberries and raspberries in, so I suppose a fruit crumble is a better name). Mix and match -- if it sounds good, try it and the worst that can happen is that it wasn't as good as you expected!
 
 
 
This weekend I'll use the xquisite eggs that my new neighbor at home gave me before coming up. They were so beautiful, such a symphony of pastel colors, that I didn't want to eat them! She has chickens, cats and likes Christmas. I think we'll be great friends! We've had them scrambled for breakfast. Later I made a terrific quiche with spinach, mushrooms, ham, and onion. Tasty!
 
 
 
All those tomatoes I bought are going into a great gazpacho with onion, cucumbers and garlic, maybe some peppers. We'll freeze what we don't eat and enjoy it for lunches on what I hope are a few hot summer days as the season wanes. And of course there will be more than a few caprese salads! Summer food. It's the best!
 
 
 
On another note, thanks for the happy birthday greetings on my last post. You gave me lots of smiles!

1 comment:

Joy's Book Blog said...

Peaches are about done here, but we're enjoying local melons and tomatoes, right now. Some of the tomatoes come from friends' gardens. Apparently, they have been a bumper crop!

Popular Posts