It started out down the road when my cousin David welcomed a group of his friends dating back to high school for their annual Otsego Lake summer reunion. I've met all these guys over the years and while I'm not part of the "gang," I delight in their company.
This time, that included a pontoon boat ride around the lake. I hadn't done this for a long while and it was fun to see what had popped up over time, and be reminded of places I'd forgotten, like the old Arbutus Beach hotel that is now a private residence. We also said farewell to their friend, Bill, who recently passed away.
The next day was a busy one! Look who stopped by on their way to camping!
We all enjoyed lunch -- a good break in the action before setting up camp with their friends. And these two played.
And played!
And, they brought world's cutest dog, Teddy Graham, with them!
My only disappointment was that Rick couldn't be here. That said, he was having a lovely time at his dad's. And what a view!
Then later that day, my friend Suzanne from Canada arrived. She hadn't been here since -- well, a long time -- when we spit cherry pits on the beach. (I sometimes wonder if that's why I have a weedy beach.)
(Actually, her last visit was later than that -- around 2000, so still a good quarter-century!)
When we're together, there is always plenty of talk time -- books, theatre, movies, life in general. Of course we had to hit the fruit market and get some cherries! 'Tis the season and this was the last week for our Michigan black cherries! Suzanne found a great necklace at one of the booths.
We went to see "The Odyssey." I left after about the first 40 minutes. The audio was too loud, the theatre too cold and life was too short. So, I caught the ends of "Toy Story" and the new "Minions" movie, hit the dollar store for some necessities. Then it was on to Kohls, where I bought a sweater and two shirts on clearance. I picked up Suzanne and we went back to the puzzle we started the day before. (My movie review -- probably very well done and good effects, but I guess it just wasn't my thing for the next three hours.)
It was a great puzzle, with images from theatre playbills. Parts of it were easy -- and parts ridiculously annoying!
And, we enjoyed a lovely happy hour at my favorite restaurant, Bennethums!
The food is so good, it's really not appetizers, it's dinner!
And, a Rick update. He's left his dad's, having a great time and made a new cycling pal. He departed NC and after a camping stop in Kentucky, then an overnight with a cousin in Ohio. He's home now, but this view will be a lovely memory.
Oh -- and we finished the puzzle!
I'm home alone for a week. Maybe I'll get some art done!
Sharing with: Friday Face-Off


.jpg)


22 comments:
...may the good times continue to roll at the lake this summer.
Jeanie, as always I enjoy your postcards from the lake! Looks like your friend’s visit was very special. So glad Rick make it back home safely with many wonderful memories!
Visits and puzzles; Good times.
Lots of fun times, Jeanie! I enjoy doing puzzles too. Enjoy your alone time!
I think your place at the Lake is where everyone wants to be!
Lovely photos, dear friend. I love jigsaw puzzles and crossword puzzles. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely visit.
That certainly was a while between visits! You seem to be having way too much fun there.
Your friend, Suzanne, must be one of the few Canadians who actually still visit the United States!
So glad you are having fun at the lake. That is an awesome pic Rick took! Janice
Whew! You're making me tired just reading all that! Reminder to me to buy some cherries. I haven't had any yet this season. Glad you had the chance to visit with all of your friends and family! -Jenn
Looks like a fun time Jeanie. Too bad you had such a terrible viewing of the Odyssey because it was actually a good film. But, there's nothing worse than being cold for 3 hours and a film that's too loud. :( But other than the movie, it sounds like you've been having a good time. And I love how your cousin has a group that's still getting together since high school. That's great. Enjoy your quiet week. I need one now too,, so we can share our quiet stories in posts later on. hugs-Erika
As usual great pix and update. Love the lake life there! I might bring earplugs if we go to the Odyssey movie. I hear others are wearing them. Cool that Suzanne is back ... and the puzzle got done. You two are a team.
Lots of fun things to do to keep you busy. Too bad about the movie, the Odyssey. It is always fun to get together with friends and family.
Your other choices of movies are Mobettah! You are right, life is too short and getting more so. No time for that which does not click. Glad your friend came for a time and for spitting cherry pips on the beach.. The air has changed- slipping into autumn - just barely. Leggy flowers ,leaves dropping. Summer has been enjoyable.
What a great trio of visits: friends, family, and a BFF! Looks like you all had a wonderful time -- and your appetizer dinner looks fabulous ... that bread!!!
Sorry to hear about The Odyssey. Unfortunately, that seems to be the type of review I've been hearing from others.
You're clearly having my portion of fun this summer! I'm glad Rick had a good visit and a safe return, and it made me happy as could be to know that you were able to say "too long, didn't watch" to a film! I do the same thing with books from time to time. As you say, life's too short for some things!
Rich in life..Your family is growing up so fast! Adorbs!
This little part of your world is so beautiful. Days to cherish for sure.
Hello Jeanie,
Good times at the lake, the boat ride sounds fun.
Lots of fun with family and friends, creating new memories.
I am glad Rick is home safe and sound.
Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend!
How wonderful you are keeping busy as well as enjoying the leisure lake time. Old friends are the best aren't they? I have one who lives in Nebraska and we keep in touch regularly, but our face to face visits are rare. I am so blessed for all the fun times we use to have when we lived closer. The Captain and I have walked out on a couple of movies...one, the movie was horrible and one because of the cold, even though we asked the front people to turn the air down, they said they could not and so we said" we cannot either" and we left. 🥰 Your lake adventures are so cool as you meet up with family and friends. I love to work puzzles too...but that one looks to be challenging. Glad Rick is home safely...I take it he is not at the lake or you would not be "a week alone?" Hugs and Blessings my friend🤗.
So many wonderful visitors! It looks like everyone had fun. Hope you get some time to make art now.
So much fun, so many good things. I would love that ride on the pontoon boat. And a long visit with your friend is just perfection.
Safe travels to Rick!
Post a Comment