Saturday, August 13, 2011

Doing Something "New"

I haven't been in a canoe for a few years. But I was excited when I heard that canoeing was on the schedule during our visit. Could anything be more fun?

Maybe. But I'm not so sure! A perfect day, a beautiful river, just the right temperature -- ideal!

We journeyed to the New River, which has its start in Blowing Rock. We were on the South Fork of the river.

Blessed with a cloudy sky but a lovely day (which helped keep the temperature down), we paddled down the river -- generally in good spirits (apart from the times that Rick couldn't deal with my style of paddling)!

And yes, I did steer us into the rocks more than once. But we didn't fall out!

We were a happy crew (except for the rock and paddle incidents) -- our canoe and the one handled by Rick's dad and Kathy!

The scenery was magnificent. Haze over the mountains in the background, sweet smelling air.

I loved seeing the turf around the river. There were lots of McMansions, but this house struck me more. (Gotta love the laundry.)

And there were cows grazing along the river bank.

I just loved that! And the butterflies I saw so often in North Carolina were in full force once again!

I think everyone would agree that we had a wonderful time -- I know I did!

Our trip also included seeing a wonderful production of "The Sound of Music," and I enjoyed running into Rick during a shopping trip in town.

Although I have to say, when he rode off -- as it so often happens -- my heart was in my throat and I was glad to see him back home.

Our three days were all too short. I loved spending time with Rick's family, cooking together...

...though truth be told, when it came to the cooking department, we really were slackers!

But the dinners were wonderful!

There was time to watch the moon, see the array of stars in the night sky.

Time to catch up, time to laugh, time to relax.

Yes, time to watch the birds.

Farewell is never easy for me, nor is returning to the "real world" after a holiday. This time was no exception!

12 comments:

Oh said...

Jeanie! what a wonderful trip - actually, during your narration of the canoe trip, I was afraid you were going to have a whitewater issue or some such and lose your camera - but no! this was great. I cannot get over the cows grazing at the river's edge. So bucolic - so beautiful. So Americana.
love it love it love it.
And on top of all that, you look fabulous in a hat!


Isn't it difficult to leave family, drive away from them, after having such a lovely time? There is nothing quite like the loving embrace and easy times of being with family. So glad you could pack so much into 3 days!

hello to rick, too!

ds said...

What a wonderful trip. (I love canoeing, too) You certainly crammed a lot into your three days. Gorgeous scenery; lovely family moments. And that oh-so-poignant house; I suspect the family actually live in the trailer...

Annie Jeffries said...

I'm guessing, Jeanie, that everyone here will be moved one way or another by that McNot-A-Mansion with the laundry on the porch. And the cow on the riverbank looks so free and unfenced - almost wild.

anno said...

About the only thing better than being on the water is seeing the world from the water. ... and, well, on a red canoe, all the better! It all looks wonderful. And, maybe ... hard to leave. Hope the re-entry is going well.

beth said...

how fun.....i love water of any kind....but you know that :)

and the only time in the last 5 years that i ever really felt out of shape was canoeing....after awhile my arm muscles burned.
now granted, the water was still and level and we only had to go 7 miles to find our pick up van....but still. ouch.

needless to say, i haven't been in a canoe since.

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

Oh, Jeanie, what a wonderful trip! I didn't think anything could top Myrtle Beach, but this is just glorious -- from the canoe trip to a time with family over homemade dinners! It doesn't get any better than that. Thanks so much for taking us along with you!

Sally Wessely said...

The canoe trip sounds so relaxing, and like a lot of fun. I'm glad you had time to hang out with family. The dinner looks great! You look happy. Now, if you could bottle up that happiness and relaxation and take it back home to use in small doses at work that would make everything even better.

Linda Jo said...

What a great trip, indeed!

Joanne Huffman said...

I like vicarious canoeing better than the real thing. It sounds and looks like a wonderful trip.

Shane Pollard said...

Dear Jeanie

What a wonderful journey you had - the scenery must have been amazing.
How lovely to be able to spend some quiet time at one with nature.

Shane:))

Jennifer Richardson said...

Blowing Rock and the New River
are just a short jaunt from
my digs....an easy daytrip.
Glad you came this way
...next time let me know
and I'll paddle alongside:)
-Jennifer

~*~Patty S said...

wonderful photos of your canoe trip Jeanie ... I can just imagine how peaceful and wonderful it was with great scenery too

we've stayed in Blowing Rock and enjoyed that little town so much...they have some remarkable fog events lots of summer mornings

oxo

Popular Posts