Friday, September 11, 2026

Postcards From the Lake: A Walk on September 1

We may not technically be into fall, but it certainly is beginning to feel and look like it. Mornings and nights are cooler, sometimes downright cold. And we're beginning to see all the signs in nature too.

 

Not long ago, it was time for Queen Anne's Lace.

 

Those days are past. Now goldenrod lines the road. 

 

And bushes of jewelweed are thick and abundantly flowered.

 

I love the detail on the blooms, so intricate and colorful.

 

On the morning of September 1, I woke to a world draped in fog. This was the view from the house. If wasn't as though you just couldn't see across the lake; you could barely see beyond my neighbor's dock. It was a vast nothingness.

 

It seemed like a good day for a walk, so off I went down the road, in search of nothing in particular and discovering signs of autumn everywhere I looked. Ferns, usually a rich green, have started turning brown.

 

 Berries are beginning to be more prominent. First I saw these red ones.

 

Then, these more neutral ones. But the leaves look the same so are they different or just changing at different times? 

 

My cousin's house is on my path and I needed to bring their trash can back after pick up, so I went out to the beach for a look. The fog was beginning to lift, ever so slightly.

 

The lake has gone down, despite our heavy rains and storm and all the stones that were in the shallows were now on the beach. 

 

 It was so quiet, this weekday morning. No one was around so I did as we did with kids and walked through the back yards and spotted this rock garden. (We call the street side the back yard at the lake and the lakeside is the front.) I think grandchildren may have had a hand in it but it reminded me of the days when my cousin Patty and I would paint rocks all summer long.

 

Continuing down the road, I noticed that the apples hanging from a tree were brown and rotting. . . 

 

. . . and many had already fallen, joining the carpet of acorns from the many oaks.

 

I think these are cedar trees, making their new cones.

 

I stopped for a break at the public beach. By then the fog was lifting even more and everything was in shadow. This building is about three quarters of a mile away. It's now private but used to be the old Arbutus Beach hotel -- or at least on the site. It was almost as though I'd put a film of Vasoline petroleum jelly over the lens. It looked mystical, like a little town rising from the water. 

 

I love watching the gulls at the beach and today they made for interesting photos. 

 

It was almost as though they were suspended in space. 

 

Only when they were on the water could you get any sense of scale. 

Venturing back, I noticed not all gardens had gone to seed. This one was looking quite spectacular.

 

And this is the other side of that one. These people must really work at it!

 

I have always loved this little fence with the hollyhocks!

 

And then I came to this.

 

The first full-on color tree I've seen. I'm definitely not ready. 

 

But it will come, whether I'm ready or not.

 

So, off we go. What lies ahead? Who knows?

NOTE: As this posts, blogger reading list is not updating. If you have a blogger blog, please comment so I can be sure I have your link. (At least photos are finally uploading.) I'm seeing subscribers who if signed up for email alerts, so if you haven't already, please do. Or, bookmark https://themarmeladegypsy.blogspot.com. Thanks! 

Sharing with:   Love Your Creativity  /   Share Your Style      

45 comments:

an artist reflects said...

Lovely series of nature photos ~ Wow! ~ Hugs ^_^

Anvilcloud said...

It was lovely to walk with you in your very pretty place. It went down to 8 this morning before it warmed up again. That is probably close to 46 in American. We have seen some very faint colour tinges but the green is still holding on pretty well

Granny Sue said...

What a beautiful, serene walk, Jeanie. Thank you for sharing with us.
Blogger is certainly having issues. I wonder if they're doing updates.

Pamela said...

What a wonderful walk. You are a great photographer.

Veronica Lee said...

You have a gift for turning everyday scenes into something magical. This walk was a joy to follow.
Beautiful photos as always, Jeanie.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am pretty sure your cedar is Eastern White Cedar (Thuja occidentalis), sometimes referred to as Northern White Cedar. The first picture of the gull is amazing. Now if only we could get Blogger working again….

Nicole said...

Gorgeous photos! I am at my parents' lake house right now, and there is a frost advisory, so I guess it's fall!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Love the photos in the fog. The house made me think of Brigadoon, coming out of the fog once every 100 years.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

A lovely walking adventure Jeanie. Your photos capture the essence of everything you see. Thanks for sharing. Happy weekend.

Kari Rogers Miller said...

Jeanie what a delightful walk with you this morning. I appreciate you taking the time to photograph the sites you saw. The fog reminds me of colder weather and I shivered at first glance. However, I have seen foggy weather with warmer temps, but I still relate to wearing sweaters and light jackets anytime there is a foggy morning. (The only time we need outer wear down here is when we go into a restaurant or movie.) We have had loud thunderstorms and lots of lightning here in Florida of late...I love the rain but not the accompaniments. Have a pleasant and relaxing week-end my friend.🥰

Shari Burke said...

Your walk was magical! Thanks for taking us along!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeanie,
What a wonderful post, We are seeing little signs of Autumn here.
Love the views of your foggy lake. The gardens and flowers look pretty. Love the berries and ferns. Nice collection of Gull photos. It is fun finding the painted rocks. Take care, have a happy weekend.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely walk. Fog over the lake is always a mysterious autumn event. It sets a mood that makes sweaters and a hot drink feel even better.
May

jeanie said...

How beautiful! We had a very foggy part of the drive to my parents recently, but I couldn't get the beauty in a photo quite the way you captured it.

Christine said...

Lovely to see signs of fall coming in

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Hi Jeanie, wow!!! Your photos are absolutely stunning, dear friend!
As far as following blogs, many people use Feedly, which is free for updates on your favourite blogs.
I have put that plus follow by email on my own blog for those who enjoy my blog posts and wish to follow me that way. I only post twice a week.
Thank you so much for sharing, and I hope you are having a great weekend!

shoreacres said...

I'm so ready for fall, but we probably have another month to wait. There are some hints of a cool front at the end of September, but who knows? Your red leaves on the green tree are lovely, as are the berries. The red and pink are the same; they're just at different stages of ripening. Our purple beautyberries are pink when they begin to ripen, and we have another plant, the peppervine, that often has green, pink, and black berries at the same time: each at a different stage of ripening.

DVArtist said...

OHHHHHH Jeanie, I just want to come live with you at the lake. LOL It feels idyllic. The photos are stunning. I'm thrilled that I have been able to see your world through your blog and photos. Thank you.

Lisbeth said...

I agree, I also love the autumn colours, especially on an automnal sunna day. Beautiful photos.

Jenn Jilks said...

This is a beautiful story of Autumn!
There have been storms...
Durn blogger...
By all means, please use the cat photo! I can't remember if I said...

Tom said...

...the seasons are changing. I rarely see European mountain ash these days. Stone collecting is one of my many interests.

anno said...

Gorgeous photos from the fog! Those seagull pictures are extraordinary -- a brand new way of seeing these birds, for sure. And some lovely gardens in there, too (the grands are showing a nice sense of color design!). The summer here has been a bit of a humid, smoky, murky bust, and I'm looking forward to some crispness in the air, the flights of geese heading south. I love the era in early autumn when cool nights and warming days mean that we see rivers of fog drifting over fields. Means it's time for sharpened pencils and sharpened wits. Apple cider and rum.

Bill said...

Wow, what beauty you discovered with your camera. Amazing photos, well done Jeanie.

Joanne said...

We are seeing so many of the same signs of fall approaching! Lots of the same berries and things in blooms and we're slowly starting to see leaves turning orange and brown and yellow and red.

Hena Tayeb said...

Blogger has been so glitchy lately.
Wow look at that fog.. its otherworldly. Beautiful photos of flowers and berries as well.

Carola Bartz said...

You had a beautiful walk, Jeanie. I love foggy days, maybe not quite a dense fog, but those that still let you guess what's in the milky distance. The fall tree at the end is beautiful. I have noticed changing color in my garden for a few weeks now, probably because of the lack of rain. Since fall is my favorite season, I'm happy to see the warm colors.

Barbara said...

Wow! What a beautiful spot you have there. The photos are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing these.

Nancy said...

What a delightful stroll you shared with us today.
Look at your fog! We had a day like that just recently, and I drove through it. It was slow going for me.
What lovely photos of your happy place. The fall feels are definitely occurring.
Soak it all in, sweet friend.
🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, the reading list is still not functioning, sadly. It's definitely starting to look autumnal there! That very manicured garden is looking amazing. Every time I see gardens like that I'm reminded how much more I could be doing with ours. LOL!

Jewelweed is something new to me. Don't think I've ever seen that before.

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I thoroughly enjoyed my virtual morning walk with you, especially since we're still having temperatures in the 90's and more down here in SW Texas. There is such beauty, peace, and joy in nature, if you just take the time to look. Thanks for visiting my blog and blessings!

My name is Erika. said...

I somehow missed this post as the test one came up when I looked this weekend. Glad I checked again. :) What a lovely walk you had. I know, fall approaching quickly, isn't it? They say tonight we could dip below 50 degrees. Brr. I really loved all the colored rocks. And someone does keep up their garden. It is beautiful. I want to know how they manage to get all their flowers blooming at the same time.

And thanks for the space heater suggestion. I hadn't thought of that, mainly because I was so focused on the getting the honey out for the first time. I love learning something else; that's why I love posting things. Thanks for that good idea.
hugs-Erika

This N That said...

When I first started to read your post, I thought you were well into fall, but having seen the perennial gardens later on you’re about the same place we are. Those berries look like they’re coming from the same kinds of leaves so it’s probably just timing. Enjoyed our walk.

Diana said...

Nice to catch a glimpse of nature from the other side of the world. Greetings from Sicily!

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, I so enjoyed my walk with you! Fog always seems magical and mystical at the same time. That garden is gorgeous!

nicole orriens said...

Such beautiful photos! I love all the pretty flowers and berries. This morning there was fog in our garden too!

Alexandra said...

So much to enjoy along your walk, I felt like I got my fill of nature! I wonder do you ever find beach glass when the level of water at the lake goes down!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

What a beautiful walk. The lake is so pretty and how cute to stumble upon those painted rocks. I hope you are enjoying the week.

Red Rose Alley said...

Jeanie, I love to see your area when Fall is getting ready to show up. Those misty foggy mornings are so pretty, but do not like driving in them. Love that train track photo too. That seagull looks so cold hanging onto the post. And those colored rocks are just so pretty. What fun it is for the kids to paint rocks with vibrant colors.

**we are all having an issue with friends' posts not showing up on time. Blogger will eventually figure it out. It always does. It's been a faithful site for years. Hang in there.

Marilyn Miller said...

What a beautiful walk. I can just imagine it would put you in the mood for fall. I am trying embrace it, but not quite yet there. I think I need a walk today to look for fall. Your lake is so enchanting. Loved the rocks painted and left on the beach. Even rotting apples speak to me of the end of harvest time. And the fog! Wow! So beautiful, but a bit lonely too.

French Ethereal said...

Jeanie, I see you have some new changes on your blog! Love your new photo/bio!! I hope that you initiated the changes and it wasn't something that HAD to be done. I sorta freak when WordPress makes changes if I can't immediately figure out how to do something. So, hopefully all is well with your blog. :)

Love the foggy mist covering the town!... I pinned the seagulls as the first photograph is really cool with the seagull's turned head. <3 Hard to believe that fall is falling. We were still 101 F in our backyard but only for a short time today. Our weather is supposed to turn after this weekend. I am ready!

Warm fall hugs,
Barb :)

Debbie said...

so many really beautiful pictures today!! it is starting to feel a little like fall here also, the night especially have been a lot cooler. my gardens have been so neglected, i have not been able to care for them the way i usually do. i have heard it was a bad year for apples..but i'm not in any shape to go apple picking anyway!! i really enjoy pictures of fog, yours are so nice!!

Lisa's Yarns said...

The foggy pictures are gorgeous! They have a spooky vibe to them! The temps have started to cool off here and I am not mad about it because it's still quite nice. I was in Dallas most of this week where the highs were around 100 and it was VERY humid. I was so happy to land in Mpls this morning and experience from cooler, crisp weather. And we've finally had some rain this week, too. We are in a terrible draught so need every drop we can get!

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs.
Autumn/Fall is one of my favourite seasons.

All the best Jan

Boud said...

The little fence with hollyhocks is a great painting subject. Just sayin.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

You have seen some lovely sights on your walk.You made me start to think about the signs of fall such as the goldenrod despite our weather is still hot and humid- although our mornings have cooled off somewhat. I always enjoy seeing little berries and especially those pink ones!

Popular Posts