Friday, June 26, 2026

In My World

By the time this post goes live, I will be at the lake, and working on the first of my summer series of Postcards at the Lake. But before I start those, I thought I'd give you a mini update on life as we left it! (That orchid is now bloomless.)

 

We've had some fun time with friends, including a wonderful chicken dinner at their home; then more chicken at Rick's a week or so later! When we were at Mark and Jan's, they made a beer can chicken but in this kind of cool pan I'd never seen before. So moist and flavorful and no can required!

 

I haven't seen as much local theater as I'd hoped but I did catch a most delightful production by our university's free summer theatre called "Pride@Prejudice," a very fun version of the classic in which five actors played countless parts, often changing character within seconds. They were fabulous!

 

I did earlier posts on our trip to Stratford where we saw two magnificent musicals, then to the Emmy Awards with our friends and finally a recent Cork Poppers. It sounds like we just do stuff like this all the time, doesn't it? But we don't! And believe me, this was over three or four weeks. 

On the home front, Rick has been going through a world of hurt with his house. Water issues mean that part (hopefully not all) of a wall is coming down and then rebuilt with new wood to replace the rotted part. (The other side of the wall is a bedroom closet and that's the door you see.)

 

When they pulled off the drywall, the wood was so rotty that he could pull out the nails by hand -- and they were so rusted, they were bent.

 

It will also mean work outside, reinforcing the roof overhang. When that's done, drywall, painting, and floor repair. 

 

Meanwhile, at my house down the street, I had weeders come in to tackle the overgrowth in the front yard. I wish I had taken "before" pix, but the "after" looked great. You could actually see spaces between the day lilies and the ground! (That pile of green on the right is the sweet pea, Audrey Two. She looks flat now; give her a week or so and she'll be taller and filled with pink blossoms!)

 

And, there is finally room for the berries to breathe with the traveling sweet peas pulled out -- at least for now. (Not that I expect berries anymore this year, but at least it looks better.)

 

Most of these plants are now in their new summer home at the lake. The car trunk was a tad full! 

 

RIck has been on two bike hikes. The first took him to Ohio and Indiana for a weekend ride. Then it was off to the lake over six days and five nights.

 

As he took off, he passed by the truck with the workers getting started on the wall problem. Probably glad to be out of it! 

 

Finally, the night before I left for the lake, I had one last dinner at Coral Gables, an old favorite restaurant that is going out of business after decades. Well, I didn't have it AT the restaurant -- I couldn't have got in if I tried, it was so packed. But I picked up two of my favorite things -- the Caesar salad and a mini-pizza to take home.

 I had lots of good memories of the Gables, dating back to age nine when we had a college student living with my family. He spent practically every Friday and Saturday night at the Rathskellar, where good bands performed and the beer was plentiful. Years later, my family went there after the funeral of my dad, sharing many memories. Most recently, it was the first place our WKAR retiree group met when we were still very small and intimate.

I saw Notre Dame burn on its oversized screen in the bar. One that usually was tuned to some sports event held shock diners who were riveted by the tragedy.

 It has been the spot of many lunches and dinners with friends, the 90th birthday party of my dad's last living relative, his cousin Marie. It will be sorely missed by many of us for its good but fairly priced food and warm friendly service. 

As I said at the beginning, I am now at the cottage! When I drove up, it did not look like this! The grass was knee high and my first shopping job was to head to Lowes to get a lawn mower! (I also have a scythe for round one of cutting it down to size. 

 

It may be a bit before I get out the watercolors!

Sharing with:   Friday Face-Off  /  Love Your Creativity  /   Share Your Style  / Talking About It Tuesday        

66 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you certainly haven't let any grass grow under your feet. Or should I say at least not at home. Enjoy your summer at the lake and don't work too hard. Karen (Back Road Journal)

DeniseinVA said...

A lot going on and another enjoyable read Jeanie. Enjoy the lake!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

It's wonderful how full of friends and good memories your life is. Saying goodbye to Coral Gables sounds emotional. Don't know how you got all those planted pots to the lake house!! What a job... Enjoy the lake house . Looking forward to reading the postcards.

Carola Bartz said...

It's always sad when a restaurant that has been there for decades goes out of business. Especially one that holds so many memories for you.
Enjoy the time at the lake!

Dorothy Borders said...

I happened upon your blog while responding to a comment on my own blog, The Nature of Things, and I was captured by "About Gypsy." I could tell a similar story about my cat, Nicky, who will always have a special place in my heart. It sounds like you've had a lot going on in your life and maybe now you will have time to relax at your cottage on the lake. Enjoy!

DVArtist said...

Well I don't even know where to start. You have been so busy. That is too bad about the wall. Thankfully it is getting fixed. Your yard looks so beautiful. Packing up all of those plants for the lake house is quite a job but I know they will thrive there. OMGosh, mowing the lake house yard. You did a great job. Thank for all of the info and for sharing with FFO. Have a very nice weekend.

Nicole said...

I did not realize you have his-and-hers houses! Your plants look lovely and I hope you have the most wonderful time at your lake cottage. That sounds divine!
I am a Jane Austen Super Fangirl, so I bet I would have loved that play!

Debbie said...

it's fun to read about your comings and goings...but gosh, it is a lot. i am a little confused about your housing set up. lake house, your house, the house down the street?? i have a similar "chicken cooker" and i am amble to put all the veggies and potatoes at the bottom and they cook in the juice. it is a GREAT way to cook a chicken!! rick has been busy, he must really love biking!! the lake house looks great...along with the flowers at the "other" house!!

Pamela said...

Good friends and good memories. The yards look great and Rick’s house will soon be repaired. Summer has begun.

Distortus said...

Wow, I would love to see that version of Pride and Prejudice! It's always fabulous to see actors change parts very, very quickly - slip into another character with a different voice and a different posture... When it comes to the fire that hit the Ukrainian Notre-Dame (or Dormition Cathedral) on June 15th, it's another Russian war crime.

Lorrie said...

You've been busy! The Pride and Prejudice production sounds like it was fun and interesting.
Enjoy your time at the lake! Now that the mowing is done you can relax.

Prims By The Water said...

Oh no on Rick's water issues. Hope all goes well with the re-build. Your front yard looks wonderful now. It was heartbreaking seeing Notre Dame burn and so glad they brought it back. Janice

Linda Sue said...

your watercolors at the lake are what i yearn for1 Everything else is just med.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Hi dear Jeanie, your photos are beautiful! It looks like a wonderful time, dear friend. It is definitely sad to see a beloved restaurant or store close down.
Thank you so much for sharing, and I hope you have a lovely weekend!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can empathize with Rick. MY water came in because of a broken water pipe. At least I didn't have to replace a roof.

How fun it must have been to see the play. And FREE is always good.

All those plants! Wow. I'm in awe you got them AND Lizzie to the lake. The place looks great now. Happy FFO.

Boud said...

I like how you take your garden to the lake. Portable. Condolences to Rick on the water issues, miserable situation. But it didn't stop his biking.

Carol On The Lake said...

I'm so impressed that you still mow your lawn. I haven't done that in years. Have a great summer at the lake!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

You are a busy, busy gal, Jeanie. I'll bet you are looking forward to a peaceful summer at the lake with all your pretty flowers. Good job on the grass mowing, too. Sorry to hear about Rick's water problems and hopefully all will be right soon. The restaurant closing is sad and that is happening more and more in this economy. Good memories shared there. Looking forward to the Postcards. x K

Tom said...

...have a great time at the lake.

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, I think you make the most of every day. I always look forward to your postcards from the lake. I hope your time spent there will be memorable and full of fun!

Asep Haryono said...

I really love all the photos you have displayed on your posts today. They represent the love of a family, not to mention a beautiful and stunning home that you are staying in.

Modrina Neba said...

Jeannie's life is really beautiful and surprising, even my two orchids are now without flowers, I will wait for a new one like you :))
Morning hug, Andreja!

roentare said...

I hope your time at the lake brings plenty of peace, beautiful memories, and a well-earned chance to relax after taming that wild grass

Rita C at Panoply said...

Wonderful transition to the lake. I feel badly for Rick. Water is the worst issue in home ownership IMO. I guess because I've my share. Enjoy lake life!

Anvilcloud said...

The flowers at your house look terrific. Who takes care of them while you’re at the cottage? Enjoy your time away.

Pam said...

haven't you had basement water issues before. That stuff is such a pain to deal with. I hope all gets fixed fast. I know you must love the lake trips. How long do you stay when you go there. My brother has a cabin in NC Mts right on a flowing creek, they try to go for two weeks, home for two and go again for two....etc. For them its a five hour drive there. All that going would wear me out. For me its over six hours.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I hope you are able to get to the watercolors soon! I can't wait to see your work.

La Table De Nana said...

Busy gal! Oy home things..what a shock..mold too? ..He will be content with all new underwires;)Poor Rick..what a good natured guy to go biking..I would be overseeing;) Cottage looks great and fun times..Coral Gables looks like a diner in a late 60's show:) the font etc...Happy summer to you!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Looks like serious damage in Rick’s house - a bank account buster, unfortunately. Hope all goes well with the repairs.

Kari Rogers Miller said...

Jeanie thank you for such an informative post on your typical day (and weeks). You are right, sometimes when we post our happenings our readers think we 'have fun' 24-7 but in reality we are able to highlight the fun times that happen over a period of time...I love seeing your day to day and I know you will get to your 'paints & postcards' after you feel you are caught up at the lake. So sorry about Rick;s water issues, but as you know...that is the 'unexpected' of owning a house. So glad he caught it. I also felt your pain about the restaurant closing down after all these years. There is a family fried chicken restaurant (Brookville Hotel) back in Kansas that we always visit when we go back and they closed down after 150 years. So many memories there from when I was a young child and up through all the years...it breaks my heart. Enjoy your 'down time' at the lake...🥰🇺🇸❤️

My name is Erika. said...

You’ve been busy. Your yard looks fantastic. Those weeders did a great job. But poor Rick. That looks like a major project. 😩. Hopefully is done or close to being finished. Have fun at the lake too. It’s that time of year, isn’t it? Hugs-Erika

Catolico said...

Deus caritas est!

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad you're back at the lake, enjoying yourself! I don't envy Rick that wall project -- ugh. At least he's got guys doing it and he's not doing it himself. It's funny that there's a restaurant called Coral Gables in Michigan! Do the owners have relatives in Miami?!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Sorry to hear about Rick’s water issues. It seems like with owning houses, we always have maintenance. Your house is lovely with the weeds gone. I was working around our house for three solid days, weeding, weed whacking and cleaning. Happy weekend.

Cindy K. said...

Welcome to "your lake!" May your summer be a wonderful one.

Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry about the house repairs, they are never fun but these look especially severe. It’s sad when a favorite place closes but you have the memories and a great photo (probably many) of those dear friends and happy smiles.Enjoy the bike rides, lake days, lovely flowers and of course, Lizzie. Looking forward to the Postcards! Happy summer days to you, Virginia

Lowcarb team member said...

Goodness me! You have been busy! So much going on!
The damage at Rick's house doesn't look good, hope all goes well with the repairs.
Well done on your weeders ...
I hope you may be able to relax a little soon and get your breath back.
My good wishes for your time at the lake.

All the best Jan

Shari Burke said...

Wow, the water damage at Rick's is intense! I hope the repairs go quickly. I'm so happy for you that you're back at the lake! I hope you have a summer crammed full of happy moments there!

Nancy said...

Your yard looks fabulous! And don’t work too hard at the lake. As I well know, it will all get done. Have fun! Enjoy the lake!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeanie,
You have been busy, it is nice doing fun things.
I can not imagine having to move all those potted plants.
I know you will enjoy your time at the lake. Sorry to hear about the problems with Rick's house, I hope all goes well.
Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend.

Chrissy T said...

Lots of life you are living. I love it all. The ups are the best and even the bumps let us know we are living. :) I would say you have been busy. Which you have but I want to say is that I love reading about you LIVING life! :) Watercolors will be sure to come!!!! Yay!

Bill said...

You're on lake time now, relax and enjoy every minute!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Looks like a fun few weeks, apart from the chores, and the housing problems for Ric. I didn't realise you get to take all your pot plants to the Lake, I wouldn't want to lose any either!
Have a lovely summer there, I look forward to checking in with you.
Happy days!
Wren x

Acorn Hollow said...

Your life is so full. So sorry to hear of the water damage for Rick. It is awful dealing with it.
Enjoy your sweet cottage.
Cathy

Hena Tayeb said...

Sorry to hear about all the water damage. Must be dreadful and I am sure expensive. Enjoy your time at the cottage.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeanie :)
It was lovely to read your comment on my blog this morning. Good to know you are pleased with your progressive glasses. I will probably get mine on Tuesday. You do have a full life and it's good to read about it. I am however a little confused that you live with Rick in his house but you also have your house down the road, but share a home by the lake where you can chill out and
take time to enjoy nature. I do hope the repairs to Rick's home
get rid of all that water damage. Enjoy your time at the lake,.
All the best
Sonjia.

Joyful said...

You and Rick have certainly been more than busy. I'm sorry he has to deal with water damage. That's a bummer. I look forward to your posts from the lake.

Alexandra said...

I look forward to following your Postcards at the Lake series! I wonder being there does that mean time to relax or will you be as busy as ever! I am staying tuned to find out!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

It is always sad when a great restaurant decides to close. Your plants are doing very well! Lucky you with an orchid that blooms! Sorry to hear about Rick's house needing so much work.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh no, that looks like a lot of damage and work to be done at Rick's house. Sorry to hear about that. Your house is charming in front, and I don't think I've seen the front of your house. Your plants look green and healthy. I don't know how you got all those plants to fit in your car to take to the lake house. Isn't it nice to have that one special old restaurant that we can count on? Your pizza and salad sound delicious. Lots of good memories you have from this restaurant too, and a few sad ones, like watching the Notre Dame Cathedral fire on the big screen in the bar. I look forward to hearing about your days at the lake, Jeanie. I always love to see the peaceful surroundings there during the summer months.

jeanie said...

Enjoy your lake time! How long have you been doing the lake trek?

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeanie :)
I understand more clearly now, and thank you for taking the time to explain. xx

anno said...

It's always something, isn't it? So sorry to hear about the water damage at Rick's home -- this doesn't look like an easy situation at all. Glad he was able to get away for a bike trip or two. And it looks like you've used the time productively as well, hiring weeders for your front yard -- it looks lovely! And I love all your pots of staged in front of the house, so much color! If you took most of these to the lake, I can imagine that your car was very very full.

Best of all, glad to hear you're finally at the lake. Let Art Camp begin!!!

Veronica Lee said...

You’ve certainly had your hands full!
I’m glad the wall repairs are underway--it sounds like quite a mess.
Your yard looks wonderful after all that work, and I can only imagine the effort of hauling those plants up to the lake.
I hope the lake brings you the peace and space to recharge, with your flowers settling in beautifully around you.

Iris Flavia said...

LOL. Ingo can make a good beer can chicken. We bought one and my Brother suddenly invited me to a holiday with our Mom, so I took the chicken with us.
It was drama! (Ingo was not with us). Poor thing flinged from left to right and back in the oven. Our Mom had a good laugh!
We just sat it on a beer can in a tray.
Oh yuck with Rick´s house. And wow, you have a beautiful house!
Sad when a good house goes out of business. Like "my" Da Nico. No kids, retirement, back to Italy.
No more "Ten without ham"... which I had since aged 14. "Can get cold, goes to Braunschweig, right?", when my family brought one for me.
Your cottage is so beautiful, too!

handmade by amalia said...

Wow, you've been busy, and so many fun things. Good for you! I hope you're enjoying your time at the lake and that the weather is being nice.
Amalia
xo

Granny Sue said...

Busy times, even if spread over a few weeks!
How i would love to hire a crew to do my trimming. But as much as we have it would cost a month's income, so we soldier on.
Your summers at the lake sound idyllic, even though i know there is a lot of work getting things set to rights. But I bet it is more than worth the effort.

Lisa's Yarns said...

Outsourcing your weeding was a grand idea. That is a tough job and best to let someone else handle it! My MIL hired a recently retired guy on her block to weed her flower beds. She was able to do some weeding but at 83, it was limited. Phil is the solution for most of the things that need to be done around her house, so I am thrilled he can take weeding off his weekend project list!

Have the best time at the lake! It's hot and steamy here so I imagine it's the same for you!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Home ownership always brings things to be repaired and maintained and you and Rick have certainly had your share of both. I know you will enjoy the getaway to the cottage and more fun adventures the rest of the summer. It's always sad when a favorite place shuts down because you recall the good times there with friends.

This N That said...

Hi Jeannie. It's nice that you have finally gotten to your Cottage now we know that summer has officially started.
Sorry that Rick is going through all this water damage problem. That must've been leaking for quite some time. Your Cottage looks great .smart to have somebody else do it.
Sorry to hear that that restaurant is closing. Sounds like an oldie but goodie.
Looking forward to more news from the Cottage. Happy fourth.

Marilyn Miller said...

Enjoy summer at the lake. Loved following along on Rick's bike rides on FB. It is always sad when a long time favorite place/restaurant closes.

Daniela said...

Dearest Jeanie,
I hope you're enjoying your cottage on the lake, now, and spending a lovely time together with your Rick!
Blessings
XO Daniela @ ~ My little old world ~ (Dany)

maya said...

I loved your wildflower bouquet in your most recent post... you've worked so hard! And the landscaping around your house turned out so nice.

Rick's house woes sound nightmarish--what a nasty surprise it must have been. I hope you can put it all aside and relax over the summer.

crackercrumblife said...

Wait is that the Rathskellar in Detroit, the Dakota Inn? That place is awesome! Billy and I have been meaning to take Wyatt there.

And I am sorry about Rick's house and Coral Gables. I always get so sad when old favorites go out of business. :(

mireille said...

Love all the plants! With summer, we have to tackle the backyard hill which is just weeds that need to be weed wacked! That chicken sure looks tasty!
www.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com

MELODY JACOB said...

Dealing with house repairs like Rick's rotted wall is always a massive headache, though getting the yard weeded down the street must have felt satisfying. Saying goodbye to an iconic restaurant like Coral Gables after so many decades of memories is incredibly tough, but grabbing that last Caesar salad was the perfect send-off. Good luck tackling that knee-high grass with the scythe before you get to the watercolors.

Popular Posts