Thursday, September 12, 2024

The Books of August

I was hoping to read a bit more in August but it just wasn't happening! Add to it that one book was close to 600 pages and I've come to the conclusion I shouldn't beat myself up about that! This month's books included a two historic fiction books (one based in biography, the other loosely on a factual incident) and a mystery by an author who surprised me.

 

 "Three Sisters, Three Queens" by Philippa Gregory


All the time I kept reading this historical fiction novel (550 pages, plus notes, interviews and discussion questions) I kept wondering, "How am I going to write about it?" Its primary character frustrated me tremendously and more than once I thought of bailing and starting something new. But the history fascinated me, so I kept going -- and I think (with some reservation) that I'm glad I did.

The (presumably true) story of the three queens in question -- Katharine of Aragon and sisters Mary Tudor (Empress of France) and Margaret Tudor (Queen of Scotland) -- are told through the perspective of Margaret in first-person, diary-like chapters. The plot evolves around Margaret's life as the Queen (later Queen Regent) of Scotland and the Tudor court under Margaret and Mary's brother, Henry VIII.

When we meet Margaret, she is twelve years old and her older brother, Arthur, Prince of Wales, is about to marry the Spanish princess, Katharine of Aragon. This does not please his adoring sister, Margaret. (And I should get this out of the way up front: Margaret is a character in which I could find little redeeming value -- though that does come near the end of the book. She is entitled, egotistical, prideful, envious, gullible, arrogant (although she calls Katharine "Katharine of Arrogant"), shallow, vindictive and childish (to name a few). She is continually badmouthing Katharine, her "sister" (in-law) and jealous of her younger, beautiful sister Mary.)

Margaret is married off to the older James IV of Scotland. She's a difficult wife, barring his illegitimate children from her court, but he treats her lovingly and well and she comes to love him. When he is killed in battle at Katharine's order (serving as queen regent while Henry is away in France while England s at war with Scotland), Margaret's hatred of her sister-in-law grows. And, as her sister marries and receives a wealth in jewels and gowns, Margaret's jealousy becomes greater.

With James' death, Margaret is regent for their two-year-old son, James V. But that, too, is not without challenge. It's too complicated to explain here but with the Councillors (who more or less run the government) often at odds, new regents appointed, clans are at war, separations abound, and a passionate love affair with a scoundrel who captures the respect of the others, Margaret finds herself in a fight for not only her own pride and power but for her son and for Scotland itself, while dealing with estrangement from the one who could be her ally, her brother Henry VIII.

Meanwhile, in England, Henry has found a new interest that threatens Katharine's existence -- one of her ladies in waiting, Anne Boleyn. 

I found myself going to online sources to learn more about Margaret and I have to say by the end of the book, I found a grudging respect for her devotion to her adopted country, her ability to hold fast to extremely difficult circumstances, and her love for her son and commitment to seeing he maintained the throne. She grows into a strong warrior, a capable woman -- and I appreciate that.

Gregory is a solid writer and while I thought she often spent a bit too long on certain elements (mostly pertaining to Margaret's character and love affairs), my primary quibble with the book is that when it ended, it ended. I was stunned to turn the page from the final chapter, thinking the book would continue, and finding the author's acknowledgments. Of course it couldn't continue forever, but to end so abruptly was a shock. She could have done much better.

Still, if you are a history fan or interested in the history of Scotland and its often conflicting relationship with England, I think you'll find it worth your time.

"Year of Wonders" by Geraldine Brooks


Why on earth would a book about the bubonic plague in an English village in 1666 be a gripping read? Especially after living through our own version of that not so long ago with Covid. But when Geraldine Brooks is the voice behind the pen, it clearly becomes one inspiring novel well worth one's time.

When the widow Anna Frith takes in a lodger at her home -- a tailor from London who has brought the tools of his trade and bolts beautiful cloth -- she couldn't know that the cloth would be contaminated with fleas that would begin an epidemic of plague in their village. As townspeople begin to die, first, the tailor and then many others, including Anna's two children, the town becomes panicked and helpless. It is the words of their pastor Mompillion that convinces those remaining to wall themselves off in the town and stay put, as to not take the germs of the plague elsewhere.

That decision begins a year of wonder for Anna, who is a servant to Mompillion and his wife Elinor. Determined to minister to the villagers, Elinor convinces Anna to join her in learning the healing properties of plants and herbs after the two local woman whose work this was die. Anna learns the skills of midwifery, bringing new life into a village that is desperately shrinking. As they minister to the ill and to the dying, they form a powerful bond of friendship. 

But not all in the town are willing to cooperate. There are those out for greed, especially when the disease gets worse. Tempers flare, false placebos are sold to the desperate. Can the town and those within it survive? For some, it is the better angels of their natures that triumph. For others, it is a time of anger, greed, aggression.

Sounds an awful lot like 2020 and 2021 to me, when we saw the best and the worst of people.

Brooks tells a wonderful story (based, according to author notes, on the village of Eeam during the plague). We see Anna and Elinor come into their own as strong and courageous women going far beyond what they ever imagined would be expected of them. And, in a conclusion that is as satisfying as it was unexpected, we see Anna build a new life. 

I got this one from the Little Free Library. I would have happily paid for it.

"Shadows of Death" by Jeanne M. Dams


Those of you who read my book reviews regularly might be surprised I was reading another "Dorothy Martin" book by Jeanne M. Dams so soon after I expounded on how much the character of Dorothy makes me crazy with her meddling. It isn't just asking questions or coming up with observations but she gets herself into ridiculously inane situations which blows the whole idea of a smart amateur detective to me.

Well, I'm pleased to say that I might have to change my mind on Dorothy and Dams. If the books in the series I haven't read (and I've read quite a few) are as well done and un-annoying as this one, then I'm happy to say, "bring 'em on."

In this outing, Dorothy and her former police constable husband, Alan, go to the islands of Orkney in the far north of Scotland to look into a historic archaeological dig taking place there. It isn't long after they arrive that the financial benefactor of the site is found murdered, and of course suspects abound. There is the dig director, the museum director, the head of the archaeological "Friends" society, and a farmer who wants the dig stopped. All have some viable reasons to want the donor dead -- but which one did it?

Because the local constabulary is involved with a potential terrorism situation on one of the islands, Alan is asked to help out -- and of course, that means Dorothy will, too. Together, they pull together the threads of the mystery and bring it to a very satisfying conclusion.

Why was this one good for me, you might ask. I think is because Dorothy doesn't take things into her own hands this time, but works with Alan (the most endearing of characters -- every woman should have an Alan.) So, there is no scatterbrained scheme, just some good questioning of the locals in this outing.

And, another plus, it's obvious Dams loves England and her descriptions of Orkney, its history, its people, its excavations and more, are wonderful. Indeed, I was about ready to change our trip plans (again) to go there. It'll have to wait -- but it would be a wonderful destination.

2 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

You read the equivalent of 4-5 books with that hefty first one! I haven't read anything by Brooks but this post makes me think I should check out one of her novels. I have heard good things but get distracted by new releases and forget aboul all the great back catalog books!

Pamela said...

All three sound interesting. The historical book sounds like something I’d like, but the length is daunting.

Popular Posts