Saturday, September 7, 2024

Postcards from the Lake: Road Trip to Petoskey

Labor Day -- our last full day up north before we returned home for a bit. We started the day with a walk down to the public beach.


On the way back, Rick joined up with the fellows who own Bennethum's, the restaurant where we had enjoyed our birthday happy hour the night before. Of course, they talked wine!


After returning to the cottage, we headed to the town of Petoskey, Michigan (about an hour north) to see oldest son Greg. It was a glorious day for a ride! The sky was an amazing, brilliant blue, the clouds, as puffy as a pillow of cotton balls.


There were lovely farms, as well. And loads of hills!


After a stop at my favorite hardware store (where I added another small piece of Polish pottery to my collection), we ventured toward the bay. Along the way we ran into our friend Pat, who used to live in Lansing and now lives in Petoskey, where he volunteers as a trail ambassador.


It was a wonderful treat. Pat explained to Greg that he and I had known each other about 40 years -- which kind of freaked me out! Rick, of course, was checking out the bike!


After bidding farewell to Pat, we walked out the pier toward the ferry that takes people to the nearby town of Harbor Springs. Unfortunately, it wasn't operating on Labor Day.


The adjacent lighthouse looked beautiful with its blue-sky background and a couple of kayakers and a family of geese making their way through the bay.


After, we went to Elder Piper, a new brewery in Petoskey. Built in a converted historic building, the beer was great.


But the real reason we went was to see a wooden sculptural piece Greg had designed for the brewery, using their logo. The parquet amazed me!


From there, it was dinner (good shrimp tacos!), then farewell to Greg and the ride home. The light was in the golden hour and it was lovely. 

I leave you with a mural found on one of Petoskey's storefronts, featuring some of the businesses.


And of course, a word of warning.


Never underestimate an old man with a bicycle! 

A note to my blog friends! September is getting out of control me for so I hope you will understand if I don't reply directly to comments (which I do if I have your email). Between closing the cottage, getting the house in gear after a summer away -- you don't want to see my yard -- a boatload of doc appointments, trying to get a organized for a month in England and a trip in a week to Stratford (Ontario) and finally, recovering from my worst medical summer of all time, including a recent fall which has really slowed things down -- well, there aren't enough hours in the day. I'll be doing a question-answering post later this month if you asked a question or to clarify something, and visiting you all as often as I can. And I will follow and cherish every comment you make. (And yes, a couple of posts are in the can, more or less ready to go.) I know you'll understand. But I thank you!

Sharing with:      Love Your Creativity    /   Friday Face Off   

2 comments:

Bohemian said...

You really have been busy!!! The scenery there is lovely. I hope the Medical Issues get resolved so you can enjoy all your trips for Autumn.

Pamela said...

Looks like a nice holiday! Love the shirt message!

Popular Posts