Monday, March 4, 2024

The February Books

February is a short month. But that's no excuse for a low-reading month. So, I come before you with no excuses -- and only two books completed (though well onto the way of March's first book!).

 "Toast and Marmalade" by Emma Bridgewater

 

 

Emma Bridgewater is one of my favorite makers of household pottery -- wonderful mugs, teapots, dishware. "Toast and Marmalade" is a memoir, but not a linear one. Yes, you get to know a bit of her upbringing and childhood family in several essays. She  jumps around -- past to present and back again, as the stories and ideas move her. It makes for a delightful telling.

But much of the book deals with how she came into the pottery design business, first through designing four pieces. She then found a factory and learned how pieces were created, from the designs to the molds to the decoration. 

And then she took off, now owning one of the main pottery factors in Stoke-on-Kent, England with over 300 employees and business over $40 million.

It's a fun story told well, interspersing stories from her own family and past with those related to her business. She's a delightful, eclectic-sounding person from a bohemian family that sounds like loads of fun. It's well worth the read, especially if you are a fan of dish ware!

"George: A Magpie Memoir" by Frieda Hughes

Frieda Hughes is an artist/poet/writer who, with her then-husband (referred to in the book as "The Ex," bought a dilapidated manor house in the Welsh countryside -- a real fixer-upper. Early on in her residence, a big storm hit and a magpie nest was blown to the ground, killing at  least one of the baby magpies and leaving behind another just hatched chick. Hughes, a lifelong lover of animals rescued the bird, named it George, and brought it inside where it co-existed peaceably (and not so peaceably) with Hughes' three dogs and less than enthusiastic husband. 

"George" is the story of how Hughes raised this wild creature in her home -- and ultimately allowed its freedom. But it's also the story of how caring and loving can build such a deeply strong relationship that it is almost obsessive and certainly one of great passion and devotion. Her book is chronological, following the antics of George the Magpie -- the sweetness, the playfulness, and the thievery! Magpies are known for taking and squirreling things away and George did it with mastery!

As we follow George's story we also follow Hughes' life -- her obsessive quest to renovate the dilapidated manor house she bought, her fraying relationship with her husband and her battles with chronic fatigue syndrome. She's a wonderful writer (it's in the genes -- she is the daughter of Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath) and the book is illustrated with drawings of George. It's a lovely book -- not only a memoir of George but of Hughes at this time in her life as well. It's an especially good read for those fascinated by birds and their development (or at least, magpies!).

46 comments:

R's Rue said...

You read great books. Happy Monday.

Valerie-Jael said...

I enjoyed the magpie book, too! Hugs!

DUTA said...

I appreciate and admire women in business - in this case , household pottery design (Emma Bridgewater, "Toast and Marmelade").

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jeanie
Two interesting books. I would like to read George, A Magpie Memoir.
Thanks for the reviews! Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.

Joanne said...

These both sound great! I had a fabulous reading month for February but seem to have stalled out on reading this past week or so barely even getting in a handful of pages a day... I'm just not motivated to read and I don't know if it's me or the books I'm currently reading.

Susan Kane said...

These sound like sincere and meaningful books! I would read either or both. Writing sounds good.

roentare said...

She must be a prolific pottery maker. There are many artists that make pottery in regional Australia here. I tend to shop in their studios in my regional travel

kathyinozarks said...

Ineresting books-thanks for sharing-I will check into that first one especially I love handmade potteryI bought allot of it from different artisiams in the '70s to the late '90s

Tom said...

...sadly every month is a low reading month for me.

Prims By The Water said...

Wish I had time to read. These do sound interesting. Janice

Rita said...

Sounds like two interesting books that were worth your February time. ;)

My name is Erika. said...

I have and have read Toast and Marmalade. It's been quite awhile since I read it, and you've inspired me to give it another read. (I looked on Amazon and I bought the book in 2015.) And George sounds fabulous. I haven't heard of this book, and I now I want to read it. The cover itself is really appealing. Two good books is a good month of reading in my book. Better than no books or reading 2 books that don't sound very good. :) And maybe March will be better, but I think mine will not be with a trip at hand. Happy new week Jeanie. Hugs-Erika

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Jeanie, Toast and Marmalade sounds terrific. I love her pottery and have visited her place in Stoke. Thanks for the recommendations and reviews.

Marilyn Miller said...

You always find fascinating books to read. Toast and Marmalade would be intriguing. I do like her pottery too, though I don't have any. Right now I am reading Tom Lake, per your recommendation. I can definitely see why you would have enjoyed it.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jeanie,
The one thing I am looking forward to about the Summer is that I do get some reading done...I hope to do more than I have been doing which was non -existant during the Winter because I just seem to busy...Thanks so much for stopping by!!I hope you are having a good week!!
Hugs,
Deb
Debbie-Dabble Blog

Pamela said...

Thanks for sharing your books!

Lorrie said...

Both books sound enjoyable.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Only two books!
I like the sound of the Magpie one and will now hop over to the library website to see if they have a copy.
I'm not so fond of the EB pottery - it's so pricey here - paying for the name rather than the product always puts me off!

The French Hutch said...

I am a fan of Emma Bridgwater plus you know I am a love them all dish fan so Toast & Marmalade is a must read for me! I really have to add a few pieces of her pottery to my dish collection. George the Magpie is not on my radar but I'm adding it to my slow as we go reading list! The move set me way back but finally catching up. I look forward to both of these. Thanks for your review Jeanie.........

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I actually read quite a bit in February. Flights to and from Cuba helped with that!

Pam said...

This the time of yr where the outdoors calls me and there are things that I have to do or, things I really want to do.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Steve Reed said...

They both sound interesting! I'm curious about the magpie book (as a longtime Sylvia Plath enthusiast) so I may hunt that one down.

Anonymous said...

Both of these sound well worth a read! Thanks for the heads up. I don't like appearing as Anonymous - but it doesn't seem possible to change it back at present. Odd! I will try again when I'm on the computer at home... maybe it's a problem with my phone?! Jenny Woolf

acorn hollow said...

I do love her pottery but it is a tad expensive for me.
Glad you got some reading in you have been busy
Cathy

gigi-hawaii said...

Your reviews always sound so enticing. Good for you!

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like Emma Bridgwater pottery.
I think 'Toast and Marmalade' may well go on my reading list!

All the best Jan

anno said...

These both sound wonderful, and since I am doing a LOT of reading these days on my Kindle, they are both now on it. Thank you!

Mae Travels said...

Maybe there are only two, but they look like really good choices, and I enjoyed your reviews a lot. I had no idea what became of Sylvia Plath's children as her story for me always ended at that fateful day of her death and then the appropriation of her work by her abusive husband.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

crackercrumblife said...

These both sound fantastic!

Linda P said...

I've been reading non fiction lately. I've reserved the memoir by Frieda Hughes from my local library. Thank you Jeanie for the recommendation of two books that I know I shall find interesting.

DVArtist said...

Wonderful books to read. Enjoy!

Sandra Cox said...

Glad you enjoyed the memoirs and I'm sure you'll catch up on your reading;)
Cheers,

Barb said...

After not having magpies at our altitude, a few years ago they started to show up. I enjoy seeing them flit about. The book sounds good - will have to investigate. Hope you're well, Jeanie. Barb

Jenn Jilks said...

I've been enjoying sitting in the sun on the front deck reading! The birds are singing and it is lovely.

Iris Flavia said...

Awww....have you read about Penguin, the Magpie?
Great book.
Magpies wake us every morning (well,today we have to leave) and a wild one once followed me around our car when I was looking for a can that rolled under.
Got to get this book!!!

DMS said...

Both of these look so interesting. Thanks for putting them on my radar. :)
~Jess

Carola Bartz said...

If it's some kind of comfort - I only read 3 books in February. There was just too much going on.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

The cover of that 2nd book is so delightful! I was wondering if it was going to be a graphic memoir or novel of some sort! You may not have read much but I'm glad you liked what you read - that was not the case for me as you saw on my blog this am.

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful! Always look forward to these, thanks Jeanie :)

Pam Richardson said...

So sorry, I am late to read and comment. Both books sound interesting, Jeanie and I always enjoy your reviews. Currently I have gone back to reading the classics once again! I hope you are having a good week!

Lux G. said...

Sounds like a fascinating book indeed. I find birds majestic.

thepaintedapron.com said...

I didn't read much in February either Jeanie! I like to read late afternoon with a glass of wine after my work and chores are done. Lately I've been hooked doing jigsaw puzzles and playing MajJong on line. You've motivated me to get back to reading! I always enjoy seeing what my friends are reading, thank you for the reviews!
Jenna

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I always get so many great ideas when you do posts on books. We love so many of the same authors. I actually turned in a book that I didn't finish today. I hate to give up on a book...but life is short! lol Hugs!

Sami said...

I love magpies, have many that come and visit me daily in my front yard, so I would love to read "George" :) It's gone on my "To read" list.
Thanks Jeanie

Lisbeth said...

I seldom read memoirs/autobiographies, but these sound like interesting, and fun ones.

Popular Posts