Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Postcards From the Lake: Celebrating Rick

Rick celebrated another circle (or cycle!) around the sun this past week. I'm a firm believer in celebrating birthdays -- sometimes it takes a lot to make it through a year and that life should be celebrated!

Greg came down from Petoskey to celebrate with us, and he was bearing gifts, all of which were lovely but several that were especially fun -- bicycle jerseys. Can you think of a more fitting gift?


And what made these special was that Greg designed them for the League of Michigan bicyclists. This one focused on a trip through Michigan's Upper Peninsula (MUP).


I love the detail of how leaves associated with the state's trees form a background. Here's a closeup.


Rick wore the sunniest of them all day!


And that day included a father and son kayaking spin around the lake. When they started I wasn't sure they'd make it without a collision!


But all was well. I love this picture of the two of them, off for a paddle.


In perfect synch!


Dinner, of course. I had picked up some steaks which Rick grilled.

They were accompanied by potato salad, corn salad and caprese salad..

And for dessert, cherry pie!

 

I am so lucky when I think that I have been able to spend the past 27 years with this guy, but we actually met 30 years ago when I was being evicted from my apartment (in which I'd been living for 16 years) because of my illegal cat, Stimpy. I wanted a bigger place to live, saw a duplex down the street I liked and thought the landlord seemed like a good guy. He lived on the other side, which is handy, and didn't seem to mind the cat. (Rick later says he saw "16 years" at my other place and thought I'd be a great tenant with longevity. He had no idea!)

Rick's duplex -- I almost moved in -- but I didn't.
 
 I ended up across the street but we were friendly neighbors and three years later, after I bought my house (and moved two blocks down the road) we started getting together. Who knew?
 
This was Rick on New Year's Day, 1996 -- the year we started moving beyond just friends.

Rick grew up in Toledo, the oldest of five boys and by the time he was 10, a single mom. That's him, holding the cat with several of his brothers.


He started cycling as a kid. This is one of his early bikes. He and his brother Tim often took off on bike hikes and when he got to college at Michigan State in the early 1970s, he found a group of cyclists and started riding and racing proper. 

 

He made it to the Nationals in both distance and track cycling, competing with guys who would later ride in events like the Tour de France and Olympics (and doing well against them). 

 

It was injuries from falls that stopped that career but you can take the boy out of biking (for awhile) but you can't take biking out of the boy! As you know, he rides to this day, avidly and with great distance. He's headed to Ottawa, Quebec and Massachusetts later this summer.


You may or may not know he was also instrumental in the founding of the Kal-Haven Trail, a rail trail from Kalamazoo to Grand Haven, Michigan. It took a lot of grit, bureaucracy and fundraising to get one of the state's premiere trails up and running and it remains popular today. He considers it his greatest accomplishment. (Now there are rail trails and other bike trails throughout the state.) 
 
The bridge on the Kal-Haven trail where we are to one day take what's left of him -- (but not soon)

When I met Rick he worked at Lansing's Chamber of Commerce, where he became their guy who worked to bring Japanese businesses to the state. He traveled there about seven times after his initial trip -- an accidental journey when he was asked to join a Rotary tour of the country. On many of those trips he took along one of the boys, his mom and even me! During those years and his time with the Japan-America Society, we made many friends from this beautiful country and had some wonderful experiences here and abroad.

Kyoto

But he wanted to do  his own thing and that was why he founded his company Geographic Insights, which does data analysis and mapping, often dealing with things like site selection for a business, though there are many other applications. Through that, and a series of serendipitous encounters, he created WellMagic, a software office management system for the groundwater industry. Thanks to that, I got to go to many of his trade shows in places like Las Vegas, Myrtle Beach and Massachusetts. (The trade shows weren't that interesting to me but we always had fun with the travel!)

One of the trade shows -- I was a helper. (Not that much help, I'm afraid!)

He has recently sold that part of his business to the National Groundwater Association and I suspect that as the transition nears and end he will have more time for practicing his classical guitar and -- wait for it -- 


Riding the bike!


I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I wouldn't have hung around for 27 years just because he rode a bike, took me fun places, is a great cook and better bread baker, or played guitar. Those are bonus points (and I'm not even sure they are all bonus points -- I get nervous every time he goes out on that bike!)


But he's always stuck by me and been the best partner and support a person could have. I'm not always easy to be around with my persistent cough and challenges. He's there for me every step of the way and at times he's had to put up with a lot -- things that I don't really write about here. He knows how to care and love and family matters tremendously. Family is important to both of us. I've been grateful that he has shared Kevin and Greg with me during their early years (and beyond). They were 7 and 9 when they came into my life and I think of them with all the love their dad and mom do. 

Our first Christmas together

The same goes for our grand guys. If the role of grandparents is to hang with the littles and just have fun, Rick is a master!

A lot of people think we're married. Heaven knows we've danced at enough weddings! We probably should be after more than two and a half decades, but we like our own space and we don't need he paperwork. We have paperwork for later years and know where to scatter the ashes and pull the plug and that our resources will pass on. That's good enough for now. (And one day, I'll move into the other side of the duplex and it will be full circle and we'll take care of each other till we can't!)


I don't know why I'm writing this now -- I should wait till he turns 70 or 75! One of those milestone birthdays. Except we all know what can happen to cyclists. (Or, I suppose, anyone!) so "do it now!"

So, Happy Birthday, Rick. Here's to looking ahead...


...and many more celebrations and more years of fun for us both!

59 comments:

Bill said...

What a fun and exciting life you both lead. To many more amazing years ahead, onward you both go!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

What a beautiful relationship you share with Rick, Jeanie! I loved reading about him and his accomplishments. What a guy you have there!

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful post! and I love the new jerseys
Hugs Kathy

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy Life for Many Years!

Wonderful praise for a fine man.
I am glad you two are together.

The Happy Whisk said...

I am with you, we celebrate birthdays too. It's great fun. Love that. Congrats on another milestone and I LOVE that he's your partner in crime. That's the best, to have that support.

crackercrumblife said...

Jeanie, I love this post so much. So much happiness and love and joy. You and Rick have had quite a life together! Happy birthday to him and enjoy your summer at the lake!

anno said...

Jeanie, I think you've said it all here. And said it beautifully as well.

Happy Birthday, Rick!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a marvellous birthday celebration. It is interesting knowing the backstory to all this.
I hope Ottawa treats him well. We lived there 25 years!

Valerie-Jael said...

Just a short comment, I'm soooo tired. Happy, happy birthday to dear Rick. Love those jerseys, I would wear them, too! If you love and trust someone, you don't need official papers. I wish you both many, many happy years to come! Hugs, Valerie

DUTA said...

You and Rick are a smashing couple!
Happy Birtday to Rick, and many happy returns of the Day!
Rick sounds and looks like the ideal guy one wishes to spend one's life with him.
Thanks for sharing.

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy Birthday to the birthday boy. That steak looks perfect! and cherry pie is a great way to top off that meal. Your history together is such a sweet love story. May y'all have many more years to enjoy with each other.

roentare said...

What a life of events. The T shirt is indeed glaring.

Prims By The Water said...

Happy Birthday to Rick. What fun bike shirts! So glad he had a wonderful day to enjoy to cycle along another birthday. Janice

Lowcarb team member said...

Celebrating Rick ... I like the title of your post and this is such a WONDERFUL post with some LOVELY photographs.

Happy birthday wishes for Rick and happy summer wishes for you both.

All the best Jan

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Such a beautiful touching post! I enjoyed reading it and seeing all the photos! Happy Birthday to Rick too.

Karen said...

Awww Jeannie, what a wonderful tribute to Rick. You are a lucky couple to be sharing such a great life.

The Happy Whisk said...

Did I by chance end up in the Spam folder?

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

This is a wonderful post and loved every event you described. Happy Birthday Rick! I wish you health and happiness for the coming year - and you too Jeanie!

Marilyn Miller said...

Jeanie, That is the most loving, special tribute to your guy. You are one lucky lady. I love his new bicycle jerseys too.

gigi-hawaii said...

What a nice tribute to your significant other. Loved every word and all the pictures. I didn't know you had a persistent cough. I had chronic cough, too, until I switched from Lisinopril to a different BP drug. Now, no cough at all.

Gretchen Joanna said...

Those jerseys are great fun. It seems like the perfect summer birthday.

Rita said...

Great jerseys. Happy birthday to your honey. I didn't know you guys weren't technically married. Marriage is just a legal piece of paper in my old eyes. You're probably common-law-married long ago, anyways--LOL! This was a great post! Loved seeing you through the years and hearing your story. You two have a great love. Can hear and see it through cyberspace. *love and hugs from Fargo*

Iris Flavia said...

Quite a journey so far and you are right: Write it down NOW.
This was a wonderful read, thank you for sharing all this.
To happy times!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Happy Birthday to Rick! Love the look back and all the wonderful photos. You and Rick make a lovely couple. The bike jerseys are colorful and Rick looks good modeling his new jersey. Take care, have a great day!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Happy birthday, Rick. Keep on doing what you do. Too soon to even talk about scattering ashes!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Beautiful post, yes, say it now.

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I really enjoyed getting to know more about Rick, and the early start to your relationship. How lucky to have found each other!

La Table De Nana said...

I have always read through the lines what an absolutely great guy he is:) The shirts are gorgeous..the colors everything what a talented guy his son..Is that rainbow bike at your place? Love it.
All we know is yes to ashes..no service no memorial nothing.
Where is to be decided..Last yr I thought I was on the right track lol..nope..a long story;)

Anvilcloud said...

What a story and tribute. It is absolutely right to celebrate one’s birth and, therefore, one’s life. Well done, and Happy Birthday to Rick.

DVArtist said...

What a great family and so much going on. Happy Birthday Rick. I love the photo with the bread. I am baking bread today. Hope it turns out as nice as Ricks. Have a great day.

Rita C at Panoply said...

Wonderful birthday and relationship tribute! ❤️

This N That said...

Happy Birthday Rick...What a nice story..sounds perfect..Glad you have found and enjoy each other..

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

A beautiful tribute to a great fellow and your wonderful relationship!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Very sweet story of you two. Happy birthday to Rick.

Joanne Huffman said...

A lovely tribute to Rick and your life together. Here's to celebrating many more birthdays together!

My name is Erika. said...

What a sweet post about Rick. This is such a lovely tribute to the guy in your life. And he is definitely a keeper. You are lucky to have him and hopefully you'll both have so many more years together. I think you're smart to have some space too, not that I want to leave my husband in any way, but sometimes a little space would be nice :) I hope you're having a great week and some nice weather too. hugs-Erika

Cindy said...

What a wonderful celebration of Rick, you, and your relationship with many years to come.

Anonymous said...

First, happy birthday Rick! And I love that you shared so much about how you met Rick and your relationship. I am also with a long love; actually was my first husband ! We divorced, we each re-married others, we both got divorced again and .... found each other again. Since then, as I am more comfortable with it this way, we share a home (a rental townhouse) and expenses but we keep our separate bank accounts, etc. and basically live together, lol. But I have a strong independence streak and knew I didn't want to remarry. I am happy with our relationship too and he had a son with his 2 wife (I never was blessed with children) that has been a part of my life too (and he just got married). I do have a 'foster' son, who I met while working for a non profit 22 years ago, as he was 'aging out' of the system and I have been his unofficial "MOM" ever since. Anyways, enjoy every day together and those littles !! DAWN P. ALBANY, GA

Carol @ The Red Painted Cottage said...

It looks like Rick had a great birthday. I really loved the back story on you and Rick, as well as seeing all these photos when you were both younger. I think I mentioned that I was in Japan on three separate occasions when our son was stationed just outside of Tokyo. I loved it there!

Jenny Woolf said...

What a great tribute to Rick - and all kinds of nice photos - and oh that loaf looks wonderful! What a blessing to share so much with a partner with such a good heart and soul. Long may he cycle happily for miles and miles - and play the guitar, and bake wonderful things, and enjoy family with you.

Pam Richardson said...

Happy birthday, Rick! It is a lovely tribute, Jeanie and I enjoyed hearing about his accomplishments.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Jeanie, you and Rick obviously have a lot of good things going on despite the legal paperwork and that’s so much better than some folks. This was a loving post to the special person in your life. Happy 🎂wishes to Rick and also safe travels on his upcoming cycling trip. Also, happy many more years to you both🥂

Linda Sue said...

… He's my sunshine in the morning
He's my fireworks at the end of the day
He's the warmest chord I ever heard
Play that warm chord, play and stay baby
We don't need no piece of paper
From the city hall
Keeping us tied and true
My old man
Keeping away my blues

Great post, Jeanie. lovely!
Lindasue

It's me said...

Wowwww….beautiful shirt…happy birthday for Rick …what a lovely post….love from me and Leaf 🍀🐾💗🍀

William Kendall said...

Happy birthday to him!

Pamela said...

Happy Birthday to Rick! Beautiful history!

Lisbeth said...

Happy Birthday, Rick. You seem to have had a wonderful time with family.

Anonymous said...

This is Lisa! What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful guy! You guys have found a set up that works for you and that is all that matters. I was one of the people who (stupidly) assumed you were married early in our blogging friendship. I am glad you found each other. You have a rich life together and bring each other joy and contentment and that is all that matters. I love the jerseys that Greg designed. They are works of art! And there is no better gift for Rick than something useful designed by his talented son!! His birthday celebration sounded perfect!

DeniseinVA said...

Such a pretty cycle, a whirligig? The custom-art shirt/gift, splendid design and Rick looks great in it. Cool photos on the water, and I loved the story of how you two met and all photos of your life together. Thank you for sharing all that Jeanie.

Happy Birthday Rick!

Carola Bartz said...

Happy birthday to Rick!
You wrote about your relationship so beautifully - he really is a wonderful guy and I'm glad that he is YOUR guy.
I completely understand that you get nervous every time he gets on his bike. My husband bikes to work and every morning when he's leaving I pray that he comes home safe and sound. Let's face it, the US simply isn't a bicycle country.
To many more happy years!

Stevenson Q said...

Happy Birthday Rick!
This is very beautiful and heart warming post as you shared your beautiful story of love! Thank you so much for inspiring us and I pray many more years to you and Rick :)

Hena Tayeb said...

A very Happy Birthday to Rick. They story of how you met is so sweet and this entire post was a beautiful tribute to him.

Sherry's Pickings said...

it all sounds wonderful Jeanie. Well, there was a surprise! I kinda naturally had assumed you guys were married. Of course it's no biggie but I do think for legal reasons, it's a good idea to be:=) Love the colourful cycling jumpers/sweaters. Have a great month. Xmas is zooming in ...

thepaintedapron.com said...

Happy Birthday Rick! I love the colorful bicycle decoration! I so enjoyed reading about how you met and some of the experiences you've shared over the years. I have often wondered why you didn't get married, and you've explained it eloquently. Cheers to many more happy years!
Jenna

Arti said...

What a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing Rick with us… what an extraordinary guy and interesting character. Many more happy years to come, Rick! And from knowing about his business, just makes me think he would make one excellent side job: location scout for movies!

Veronica Lee said...

So much joy and happiness in this lovely post, Jeanie.
You and Rick make a beautiful couple.
Those bike shirts are so fun!

Hugs and blessings

Bonnie said...

Happy Birthday, Rick. I enjoyed the tribute, Jeanie!

Sami said...

Happy belated birthday to Rick. Love the story of how you met and reading about the amazing life you've had together.
Wishing him and you lots and lots of more fun days together!

CrystalChick said...

Happy *belated* birthday to Rick!
I love to celebrate my birthday, but my husband isn't ever very interested in doing much for his.
Cool bicycle jerseys!
I really enjoyed reading a bit about Rick, and your life together. May you both have lots more wonderful memories to make with each other.
~Mary

Popular Posts