Friday, December 30, 2022

November Books -- and Anniversary Drawing Reminder and Link

Boy, I had a tough time reading in November. (And even a harder time writing about it in December so you'll get two book posts this month!) I dumped one book about five chapters in; tried picking up another WWII bio I hadn't finished and it was too heavy for me. I'm all for the Resistance but I have to be in the right mood to read it. 

Then I quit another after the introduction deciding I didn't want to read the diaries of Anne Morrow Lindbergh during WWII, when her husband, aviator Charles, was advocating non-involvement in the war and anti-semites like Father Coughlin were on his side. It reminded me too much of the situation in Ukraine and the increasing signals from the incoming House of Representatives here that we should cut funding. 

Maybe it was the delightful distractions of November that made reading hard. Who knows? I finally settled on two that were well worth the time and one that wasn't. (And face it, the upcoming holiday preps, physical therapy and not feeling my best  didn't help much either!). 

So, the books!

"The Reckoning" by Rennie Airth

This entry in the John Madden series of mysteries by Rennie Airth finds the retired Scotland Yard detective enjoying the quiet life of a farmer in post World War II England. He and his wife Helen enjoy the company of their new neighbor, retired Scotland Yard chief Angus Sinclair and keep in touch with former colleagues at the Yard.

So, when a seemingly random execution killing of a fisherman takes place is tied to an earlier killing of a doctor in Scotland, DI Billy Styles asks his old mentor for his insights. But apart from the execution-style of shooting, no other similarity can be found. None, that is, until Madden notes that both victims served in World War II and one, the fisherman, was penning a letter to Madden before his death.

The murders don't stop there, when a third veteran is killed and Madden draws a frightening conclusion: the killer is out for revenge. But they are leaving no traces behind and Madden and his former colleagues at the Yard are stumped. 

This is another well done mystery by Airth with engaging characters, a good plot and a satisfying conclusion. I look forward to the next one in the series. (Recommended to read in order; "The Reckoning" is the fourth of six books.)

"A Line to Kill" by Anthony Horowitz

This is the next in the Hawthorne series of mysteries in which author Horowitz writes himself in as a character -- "mystery writer Anthony Horowitz," who is writing a series of books about Inspector Hawthorne, an enigmatic detective with the observational skills of Sherlock Holmes. 

This episode finds the duo at a literary conference on the island of Alderney in the Channel Islands, where they are there to speak about their upcoming book, "The Word is Murder" (reviewed here). The fellow authors all have their oddities and the islanders are in a political frenzy about a proposed power plant for the island.

When the sponsor of the literary festival turns up dead on his property after a party to kick off the event, there is no shortage of suspects: The wife, with whom he has an open marriage; a television chef and cookbook author appearing at the festival and the chef's personal assistant; opponents to the power plant; and pretty much everyone else, given that he was greatly disliked.

These books are always fun. There's the tension between Anthony and Hawthorne and the fact that Hawthorne always sees things that go by Anthony who, as a mystery writer, thinks he should be better at solving the cases! It's a very Poirot/Hastings or Holmes/Watson dynamic and loads of fun. 

You don't need to read these in sequence but there is mention made of previous cases which make the book a little richer. Your call!

"Meet Isabel Puddles" by M.V. Byrne


M.V. Byrne's bio says he is from my town of Lansing, MI and is a screen and television writer. "Meet Isabel Puddles" is the first in a series of mysteries set in Michigan. I'm all for supporting local writers. But this isn't the book for that. It's OK. But Byrne might be better suited to sticking to the screen.

It's cute. And pretty darned implausible. And has way too much surface "local color" that really doesn't move the plot forward and just eats up a lot of the 330 pages in the book. It's way too chatty and the chat isn't integral to the story and only slightly to establish character. But, it's cute. I'm not sure I'd take that as a compliment, though. Should a murder mystery be cute?

Isabel Puddles is a widow, probably in her 60s. She lived in a small resort town on the west side of the state (the Lake Michigan side) in a town similar to towns like Pentwater, Whitehall or Montague, for those who know the state. Because she's always willing to help out when someone asks, and she's asked to do make-up to fix up the body of a local farmer who presumably died from a stroke. In doing so, she makes a discovery that leads to a revised conclusion -- murder.

The man's son is arrested soon after but Isabel doesn't believe he is guilty and is determined to prove it. Along the way she nearly gets herself (and several others) killed as she closes in on the killers.

Isabel has the most annoying friend, Frances, and if Frances was eliminated from the book, it would greatly help both the editing and the sanity of the reader who just wants to murder Frances to get her out of the series. The other characters are fine but we just spend way too much time with them. Think about if an hour-long "Murder She Wrote" episode was stretched into two hours or more without adding anymore plot, just a lot of unnecessary conversations between characters. You'd switch channels. 

I should have "switched channels" but by then I was close enough to finish that I could speed read through it. I'd describe it as a murder mystery that tries to be funny but just ends up being a combination of silly and trite. It could have had potential but it missed the mark here for me. I'd say give it a pass unless you like fanciful chase scenes that I hope never appear in real life. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

December doesn't look like it's going to be a big reading month. I'm just trying to keep my head above water! Let's get merry!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

And don't forget, if you haven't already entered the 15 Years of Blogging Anniversary drawing, please leave a comment on THAT POST (once only, please!) before midnight, December 31, Eastern Standard Time (US). International entries are welcome but if you do NOT have a blog or are a no-reply blogger please leave your name and email in case your name is drawn! Otherwise, I have no way of contacting you.

37 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

November wasn't a big reading month for me either. Too bad that local author's book didn't hit the mark. I met a local NH author this month (he was working at the cash register at the marine boating store) and I've found a used copy of his first book. I haven't started it yet, so I hope it's a better read than your local book was. And I really must read some Horowitz-I have read the Moonflowers Mystery and I liked it. I've added the Rennie Airth to my list too. Hopefully the new year will not only be a happy and healthy one for you, but a good reading one also. Happy New Year Jeanie. Enjoy! Hugs-Erika

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jeanie

I had a good month of reading, I think there was only one I could not finish.
I have not heard of the John Maddon Mysteries, I will add them to my reading list. I have read the first from Anthony Horowitz, A Line to Kill would be a new one for me too. I will look forward to seeing your reading post in the New Year. I wish you and yours all the best in 2023, sending wishes of peace, joy and happiness for the New Year. Take care, have a great New Year's weekend.

William Kendall said...

Good reviews, Jeanie!

Iris Flavia said...

WWII is difficult.
I cannot "overread" and read some awful things, I got dizzy.
My neighbor was a child of WWII and I sometimes have to stop him. It´s too awful.
A second neighbor I met. Also war-child, but remembers it not that bad. To me still awful.
We can be so lucky. When Ukraine is on TV Ingo always says, don´t look away. But I don´t want to see it.

Now I got a book on Schroedinger´s cat on Mandelbrot-Baum. Science is better than war.

Still have one on (real) murders in Braunschweig. But then... will I leave the house ever again? ;-)
Kidding, I will read it sometime.
But one shop I pass and know the story already, brrrrr....

Sue in Suffolk said...

Read the first two - both excellent but I'll not be bothering with that 3rd one even if it was available over here!

Anonymous said...

WW2 books is relevant reading stuff, as there's probably going to be a WW3 in the near future: Russia, China, Iran, N.Korea against USA and its allies. Even though they say never fight a war with the tactics of the last one, still there are lessons to be learnt.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Some months are like that! And you haven't been feeling well either which often does not help when it comes to reading! I am glad you had some winners during the month, though! I would like to try a Horowitz book sometime. I've heard great things!

Bill said...

Thank you for sharing your nice book reviews.

Jenn Jilks said...

Nice reviews! It always helps people find new titles.
I just finished The IT Girl. It was a good mystery, not excellent, I didn't think. Dunno.
I should have read some more, I would have liked to have sat outside, bundled up reading, as I tend to do, but the snow soaked my front deck bench!

ashok said...

Solid reviews Jeanie

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm familiar with these authors but not those particular books. I share your opinion on "silly". The streaming services have done a number on my reading.

anno said...

November and December tend to get pretty darn busy -- you deserve credit for maintaining any kind of reading life at all! Interesting mystery series -- thanks to you, I've discovered Anthony Horowitz, and the book you reviewed looks like fun. When I've worked up my nerve for something more serious, the Airth looks like a possibility.

Lately I've hardly had the attention for anything more than my morning dose of comic strips (Luann, For Better or For Worse, Doonesbury, and Calvin and Hobbes, in case you were wondering). In an effort to re-boot my reading life, I've been returning to favorites from my childhood and adolescence: Harriet the Spy, Ramona the Pest, Jane Eyre. Highly recommended.... just like watching old childhoood movies (Lady & the Tramp, just for example), you see things differently as an adult than you did when you experienced them as a child.

DUTA said...

WW2 is relevant reading stuff, as there's probably going to be a WW3 in the near future: Russia, China, Iran, N.korea against USA and its allies.
Even though they say never fight a new war with the tactics of the last one, still there are lessons to be learnt.

roentare said...

Another 3 book reviews. I feel so guilty that I am working through the festive season that I cannot even start with a few you have recommended!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Jeanie. Hope your Christmas was a good one. We still haven't had ours yet but will in the next couple of weeks. I thought it would be fun to leave decorations up a little longer, but seems like they are wearing a little thin. This year has pulled out all the stops and I wish it would get over with. Leaks in the roof, literally, and with everything else that went on, I am looking for some good times! Happy New Year, anyway..xxoJudy

Sandi said...



Here is a review of a book I recommend:

A person does everything wrong in life, bad choices, dumb decisions, selfishness, pride, and unforgiveness. Then in one day all of that is washed away suddenly, unexpectedly, and most shocking, undeservedly. The war zone in which they live is overwhelmed by peace. Fruit and vegetables sprout where they were not planted. Everyone has enough, even those who wasted time and did not even try. Everywhere a discouraging word is spoken, it is swallowed up instantly by a graceful response and lack of offense. Joy comes to every soul.

I haven't written this book yet. :) So you have to wait.

Just bummed reading about the WW2 books, and the looking forward to WW3 in some of the sorrowful comments, and thought I would refuse to comply! 😂 Have a good evening, Jeanie. Peace, be still. Mark 4:39



DVArtist said...

Well that seems like some heavy reading for this time of year, I think. I admire you for reading. My eyes just won't allow me. It's OK I have movies. LOL I want to thank you for being part of my blogging world and wish you the very best for 2023.

Gill - That British Woman said...

Got a pile of books to read in this household as well. I am hoping to read 3 books a month, but we'll see. I go through spurts of reading lots then not reading for a couple of weeks.

KarenW said...

Happy New Year Jeanie and Rick

Linda P said...

Thank you for your book reviews. It's always good to get recommendations. I shall concentrate on what you have written about each book when I have a quiet moment. Life has been fun here in our corner with the holiday festivities. Now it's time to enjoy some quiet time. I have missed my regular trip to the library in the park over the Christmas period where I browse the book shelves. This new year I'll probably not read many real books because of eyesight problems. Perhaps audio books would suit or a tablet where the written words can be adjusted and made bigger? Best wishes to you and loved ones as we welcome in a new year. It sounds as if you are going to party! May your health improve in the coming year.

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy New Year to you and yours, stay safe and healthy!

Victoria Zigler said...

I've had a tough time getting in to books the last couple of months too. Too much going on in the real world, I guess. *shrugs*

roughterrain crane said...

Happy New Year to you and your family.

crackercrumblife said...

When I saw the cover of Meet Isabel Puddles I was like yes please! Then I read your thoughts on it, and now, no thanks. LOL. Cute cover though!

My December reading was abysmal..

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Great book reviews Jeanie. Wishing you a new year full of love, hope, peace and good health. Happy New Year.🎊

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love Horowitz because he always gives you the killer if you are watching (or reading) carefully.

The Lindberghs were popular and their voices carried weight. What Charles did to turn some against the war made me stop respecting the original image I had of him. On a different note and later time period, have you listened to the Rachel Maddow podcast, "Ultra?" It is stellar and well worth binging on.

Overall, it sounds like a bad month for reading.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I published my comment too soon. I may have been forced offline by the storm at Christmas, but I want to wish you a joyous, safe, healthy, and prosperous 2023 in advance of the new year.

Joanne Huffman said...

I haven't done much reading lately. I have started my list of recommended books for the new year, though. I always find your book reviews useful.

Marilyn Miller said...

Really good reviews. I had to smile at your comment on a murder being cute for the third book. I kind of think that is what I am reading right now in another murder mystery series. I like the way you think in your descriptions. Thanks for the reviews each month. Wishing you a January for reading.

Mae Travels said...

Sad that the Michigan book is so disappointing! And sad that your “responsible” reads turned out to be unreadable! I hope your goals will be more achievable in the New Year, and that you have a great evening, and a wonderful year in 2023. And above all, better health.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks for sharing these books.
My reading seemed to slow a little just before Christmas.
I never set myself a goal just pick-up and enjoy a read when I have the time.

Happy New Year Wishes.

All the best Jan

DeniseinVA said...

Looks like a few great reads here Jeanie. Enjoy! And have a very happy new year!

Ricki Treleaven said...

I hate that you were disappointed in Meet Isabel Puddles, especially since it is set in Michigan.

Pam Richardson said...

Thanks for the reviews, Jeanie. I didn’t read a single book in December and only one in November. Don’t know what happened except life was full and busy!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I always feel guilty when I start a book and decide to give up on it. But why waste time when there are so many good books to be read. I applaud your reason for quitting the diaries of Anne Morrow Lindbergh.

Arti said...

Have you watched the Magpie Murder TV series on PBS? They’re quite well done, especially with Lesley Manville playing Susan Ryland. BTW, I’ve just started listening to Louise Penny. I know… well, better late than never.

Carola Bartz said...

Sometimes you just don't get into a book and sometimes it's not the right time, and it is perfectly fine to stop reading or come back to it later. If I don't like a book after 50 pages, I usually stop reading it and don't waste my time anymore.

Popular Posts