Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Something In the Air

I left work the other night at 11:30 -- we had been doing pledge breaks, and when I walked out the door, the sky was black and dotted with stars.

And then, I smelled it. Hanging in the still, calm night, like a soft shawl the weight of a feather, was a fragrance I'd not smelled in a long while.

It was gentle, subtle. Yet most definitely present. It was the smell of dirt and grass, damp -- no, saturated -- with the melting snow.

It was the smell of spring.

The thermometer in my car told me the temperature was 34 -- certainly not the temperature one equates with spring. Yet, this was nearly midnight, when it's generally much colder. Another sign of spring.

I think we all have sense memories that click in each spring. It may be visual, with the first bulbs popping, or aural with the returning birdsong of old friends or a rushing river, the ice broken at last. I certainly noticed the receding ice the other day while walking.

You can see it here in the distance...

...and even closer.

Soon, these cattails, brown against the white of the remaining snow, will blend into the environment as tall grasses begin to crowd them out of view.

And certainly when it comes to smell, there are more than enough fragrances from which to choose. Soon our campus will be abloom with apple and cherry blossoms, and a lunchtime walk becomes a heady experience.

I've been walking a lot these days. Earlier this week, I noticed clumps of snow...

...and the crisp bare white branches of birch trees against the welcome deep blue sky.

I've been treasuring the last sunsets casting shadows on the snow...

...and enjoying the return of sunny skies and slightly warmer temperatures.

But I had yet to smell anything but clean, fresh air.

The other night, I smelled spring. Even a late snowfall can't deny the change of seasons that is on its way!

18 comments:

KRCampbellArt said...

Wonderful photos! Glad you enjoyed the guitar string bracelets. I thought the same thing - I must be able to do something with these!!
hahaha

Jane Rosemont said...

Stunning photos, Jeanie, absolutely stunning.
Hey, I saw you on TV last night and want to remind you that you are SO GOOD at what you do. So comfortable and pleasant. Bravo!

Rosa said...

How beautiful!!! Even if it is almost spring. xo

Anonymous said...

loved the pictures and the lighting in them - magical. And I am delighted that you have scented Spring in the air! Cuz if it's happening up there in the northern midwest, then it's for sure happinging here. (actually,we had a glorious sweet sunny day.)

Congrats on your TV pledge work. Wish we could see you in action, too!

more later--
hugs, Oh

beth said...

change is SO good !
I can smell it, too !

Anonymous said...

What a beautifully evocative post, and all the more facinating for knowing that if I was over in your patch of land I would walk outdoors and wonder what that scent was, having never encountered it before.

Anonymous said...

What a beautifully evocative post, and all the more facinating for knowing that if I was over in your patch of land I would walk outdoors and wonder what that scent was, having never encountered it before.

anno said...

It's in the air, isn't it? Sure smells good! Thanks for this beautiful post & gorgeous pictures, Jeanie.

Sugar Bear said...

I know exactly what you mean! The smell of spring is definitely in the air. I have spring fever big time over here. It is going to rain the next five days here but that is okay as spring is here!
Karla

Sugar Bear said...

I know exactly what you mean! The smell of spring is definitely in the air. I have spring fever big time over here. It is going to rain the next five days here but that is okay as spring is here!
Karla

Mae Travels said...

That's very beautiful.

I hope we won't be disappointed by the early promise.

Michigan! Not for wimps.

best... Maefood.blogspot.com

Joanne Huffman said...

poetry, pure and delightful poetry!

Linda Jo said...

Beautiful pictures...real and mental....

Anya said...

Very beautiful post :)
Looks all so lovely
winter wonderland !!

Have a nice weekend
Hugs Kareltje =^.^=
Anya :-)

GwendolynKay said...

Thank you for leaving me the kind comment on my post.
You must be further north here in Mi. than I.... Our snow is just about gone now... only the plow banks are left. But don't you just love it when you can feel the change in the air? Don't forget to change your clock this weekend.
Blessings!
Gwen

Beth said...

I do Love Spring! I knew when I heard the little peeper Kermit froggys in the creek behind our house, Spring was very close! Yay!
Loved all your great pics!
xoxoxoxoxo

~*~Patty S said...

magical photos Jeanie
each and every one!

this past winter was one of THE most beautiful I can remember, I actually missed the white stuff when it finally melted away ... but soon the browns will turn green and the flower parade is already beginning here in N VA ... ahh spring!
oxo

ForgedinPaper said...

Funnily enough I've been having the same thought here. The snow is gone and things are starting to peek out and you're right it does smell different. I loved the bulb gardens you have been picking up this week they are lovely.

Popular Posts