Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentines from Long Ago!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Enjoy some lovelies from the "Love's Little Messenger" exhibit at the MSU Museum.


Who could resist these elaborate cards?


And these vintage postcards --

oh, I'd love to have those in my collection!

As a writer, I couldn't resist this one!

Some of these were awfully pretty...


I liked these a lot...


...and these brought back memories of days gone by. Did you make Valentine's boxes for school? I still remember mine!


These "Penny Dreadfuls" were insulting valentine's.



And some are awfully funny -- I don't know if you can read the words, but the graphics alone get the message across!

Funny cards always make me smile...

And some were on the suggestive side!

And this one was just cute!

Finally, I couldn't leave without saluting "Man's Best Friend" (and lots of women's!)...

And a salute to the four-legged companion in my household!

And this might be my favorite!

As for my two-legged Valentine -- well, we plan on having a wonderful time too!

And you? You're all my valentines! Happy Valentine's Day!

NOTE: All of these vintage valentine's were from the MSU Museum's collection. The exhibit continues through early March if you live in the area. I think I may use some of these in some tags or ATCs. What do you think? Feel free!

14 comments:

anno said...

They're darling! And, yes, it would be wonderful to see them in tags or cards. Wishing you a wonderful Valentine's Day

Anya said...

WONDERFUL post !!!!!

Wishing you a Valentine's Day
filled with love
and the tender sound
of a voice that gives you comfort.....

Happy Valentine's Day :-)

((hugs))

Kareltje =^.^=
Anya :-)

BONNIE K said...

Very cute valentines. Altho I don't see why they named the penny dreadfuls as they did - they don't seem dreadful to me! Happy Valentines Day.

beth said...

thanks for sharing.....I love the vintage goodies !

and

happy valentines day to you !

HerzBlatt said...

Lovely...all the cards!! But I am sure, that Rick doesn`t like the card with the man who fell down his bike.....:-))
By the way: Happy Valentines Day to you !

Janet said...

Since I don't live in MI thanks for the peek at the exhibit. Old Valentine's Day cards are so cool....and yes, I remember making my valentine's box at school and waiting to see all the cards I'd receive.

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Linda Jo said...

Happy Valentine's Day! This was a great glimpse into Valentines!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jeanie,

I did have a Valentine box - and better yet, I have three of my grandmother's extraordinarily fancy valentines. I had them framed for Mom a couple of years ago for her birthday. They're beautiful things, and will show up in a post eventually so you can enjoy them.

I hope your day was lovely! Thanks for giving us such a nice overview of these precious cards!

Joanne Huffman said...

What fun! I'm still in the midst of my California trip and Valentine's Day got away from me this year.

Annie Jeffries said...

What a fabulous post, Jeanie. I love the fancy vintage cards. They are so romantic.

joyce said...

That sounds like an amazing museum...(however the heck you spell that!). I love the posts you make about their vintage displays....is the whole musuem like that, or do they just always have a vintage display? Thos ecard are beautiful, and yes, I will save a few of those images for personal use if you don't mind. (What's a ATC?)

PeterParis said...

That was before the electronic messages! Some regrets, no doubt! :-)

~*~Patty S said...

What a lot of thought and substance you put into your bbb posts dear Jeanie!
This one is a delight, how nice to get to see some of the exhibit and those scrumptious valentines of days gone by
I must say the Snow White one really spoke to me too!
oxo

GwendolynKay said...

What wonderful , lovely valentines. Why does it seem things were more special back when.....
Blessings!
Gwen

Popular Posts