Saturday, February 20, 2010

Chocolat

One of my favorite movies is "Chocolat." It's organic and sensual, beautifully filmed, well acted, and I swear sitting in a theatre you can even smell the chocolate!

My favorite bits of chocolate are Trader Joe's French Truffles and the hand-dipped chocolate covered oreos our local candy shop sells. My molton chocolate cakes are to die for! And while chocolate isn't my favorite of flavors (give me a lemon square any day!), it's right up there.

So, when the MSU Museum held its annual chocolate party, of course I had to go!

When we walked in, we were greeted by a display of museum artifacts on one side (more on that below) and a display of beautiful chocolate creations on the other.

Look at this -- all in chocolate and confections! Definitely a display piece for a museum fundraiser!

And this one -- I think the octopus was marzipan.

Who could pass this by and not admire the craftsmanship.

Here's a better look at the dinosaur.

Well, then it was off to the vendors. We sampled mousse and cookies. There was toffee and fudge. Cakes...

And more cakes!

The vendors jazzed up their spaces with bits that fit their style, like this one from Sweetie-lictious Pie Pantry. (She was the winner of a Food Network pie challenge!)

I mentioned the wonderful exhibits. Here are a few that our gem of a museum has to offer in its collections.

I loved this one -- you'll probably see it again next October!

I'd wear this robe any day! All my colors!

Or this one!

These are wedding banks. Beats my piggy and cow banks!

This vest would be a tad warm for most of us...

You may not believe this -- I hardly do -- but I had more than my fill in an hour and really didn't care if I saw chocolate again.

Not that if anyone handed me something divinely decadent right now, I'd pass it up!

Next month is our museum's Wine Tasting Party (March 26, if you're local). If you love wine, be there and sample favorites from the 200 wine vendors on site!

13 comments:

Janet said...

I love that movie, too. It's luscious!

And all that chocolate on display! What a binge I could go on there!! It all looks wonderful. That dinosaur is amazing!

Ruth said...

I did not know about these tastings at the museum. Thank you for telling about them. I wish I didn't live so far away, evening and weekend events are tough to go to.

I do love our museum. Now why can't they have a chocolate tasting during my lunch hour?

BONNIE K said...

That chocolate party sounds wonderful! Although I have to ask what's wrong with the octopus' eye - it looks like it's infected! That pie pantry creation looks amazing.

Baroness Bijoutery said...

My husband would have loved that Chocolate Party...To him Chocolate covers all four main food groups.."White Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate and Any Chocolate"....Yes he is a Chocoholic.... Love all you pictures...Great post..

~*~Patty S said...

Yum! I caught a bit of the Oprah show yesterday and they had a Chocolate Stage Set, quite amazing, she shared it with the audience at the end (imagine a chocolate chandelier, fireplace, chess set etc)
Love the octopi in your post!
When you are craving chocolate again ... I highly recommend the chocolate covered Pomegranate seeds...great combo!
oxo

Beth Leintz said...

Oh yes Chocolat- that would be worth watching again on DVD- I'm adding it to my Netflix que. Thanks for the peek at the museum and chocolate creations- incredible- and of course, I LOVE that little pink stove.

anno said...

mmmm... delicious -- and those are some fabulous exhibits, too!

It all looks wonderful, but I know what you mean about too much of a good thing. One reason I quickly tired of my very brief career as a dessert caterer.

That wine-tasting party, though? If I'm anywhere near Lansing, I'll be there!

Unknown said...

I love that you take us on a virtual outing with you! I can almost TASTE your photos! The can of chocolate frosting in my kitchen cabinet is looking pretty good right now!

Chocolat is one of my favorite movies too!

Relyn Lawson said...

I love the movie. I love the dessert. I love this post!

Rosa said...

I shouldn't have even looked at that chocolate.

Joanne Huffman said...

Yum on the chocolate, and I agree with you about lemon.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful event and wonderful post. I confess I just skimmed it because... well, I have to. When I get started on chocolate I can't stop, and like your friend who mentioned the can of chocolate frosting in her cupboard....

I just have to get out of here. Now.

ForgedinPaper said...

I'm always amazed at the restraint of people who make fab chocolate creations. I would be eating bits here and there and then realise half an ear or a leg was missing. Wine tasting sounds even better. Our museum is nowhere as exciting as that. I like the second robe it's lovely.

Popular Posts