Monday, February 15, 2010

Me and My Valentine!

First of all, before I forget, the winner of my One World, One Heart drawing is Changeling Things (a knitting blog, purely a coincidence, but it was delightful to discover!) I'll look forward to hearing from you and getting your information!

Now, about the cherub with the bow -- his aim was very good!

I'll show you a bit of his present a bit down the post, but first I have to tell you what an amazing Valentine he was!


As I arrived at Rick's for dinner, I was greeted by a lovely table with a wonderful menu, printed in French (sort of!) for our dinner!

Upon closer inspection, I could see what work he had put into our evening!


And oh, it smelled wonderful!

We had a wonderful spinach dish... I know -- it just looks like creamed spinach here, but it was exceptional!


These potatoes-to-die-for where he thoughtfully carved our initials...


Steak on the grill...

And I brought the dessert -- Remainders d'Partee were leftover brownies from our visit taking dinner to his aunt and uncle on Saturday (plus a few chocolate covered strawberries and candy hearts!)

And the wine! Oh, it was wonderful, just wonderful.
I would definitely recommend this bottle of Bordeaux!

The flowers were beautiful, too. I love African violets -- they seem to be the one plant I can't kill! And these were beautiful in their little basket and so many pink-and-white blooms!

If you've read The Gypsy for awhile, you may recall that a Valentine's Day tradition I created with Rick is to each year make him a poetry book with photos that summarize our year.

This year we had a lot of depressing events -- cancer and bike crashes and other sickness. I had trouble coming up with many happy poems! So I included a few depressing ones, because after all, ups and downs are part of what we all are.

But all in all, I'm pleased with the book. The book itself was handmade with a wonderful textured paper as the cover and brown pages inside. The heart and key were affixed to a small watercolor I did, and the title reflected our relationship. It was "sewn" with very thin wire and has a beaded spine.

And while the poetry is nothing to write home about, it's a way to capture some of our experiences and marry them with photos.

Everything from Christmas to Rick's accident and bike rides, Greg's cancer surgery and even wine tasting was included!

I went with a blue-green theme for the cover to make it look a little less "girly," but the pages inside were brown paper and I used hand-painted tissue made at an Artiscape workshop to add some texture. Then I added embellishments and photos. (The button is by Joanne of ad libitum and the top photo in his "Fiddler" cap and vest is Mama K's husband, my cousin David.

Inside I included a couple of tags.

I especially liked this one, with the musical notes "coming out of" Rick's hands. Three cheers for tape transfers!

And yes, he liked it! Very much!

Now, onward to participating in Karla's "Alice in Wonderland" swap!

24 comments:

BONNIE K said...

I love the books you make. Rick is a very lucky recipient!

Anonymous said...

There's "giving a valentine" and then there's GIVING A VALENTINE! That book is astonishing and wonderful. Your creativity seems to know no bounds, and I can only imagine how much Rick appreciated it. And good for you for "keeping it real". The best lives are!

Kitty said...

You have done it again. Love the book and the poems and you and Rick. The valentines brought back lots of memories too. Kitty

Rosa said...

You two are just wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited to have won your collaged tea box! Thank you so much - it's been so much fun finding new blogs, including yours! I've emailed you with my address. Many good wishes, Cath.

Ruth said...

You have the best Valentine celebration ever. You are both very good to each other. Your attentions and efforts are brilliant and touching. Thank you for sharing, Jeanie. I love it all.

anno said...

What a beautiful book -- a real testament of true love! Sounds like you two did Valentine's Day up just right... I'm gonna be on the lookout for that wine, and someday, when you have time, you need to tell us more about those mountains of gold, those fabulous potatos.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea. It beats store bought any day. It's priceless, really. How could you ever put a price on something like that. It honors your lifetime commitment, and that's what it's really about.

beth said...

I made a book this year too...
he cried when he read it....

Linda Jo said...

How beautiful! You do the best stuff!

~*~Patty S said...

so lovely and romantic!!!
you two are great examples of living in the moment and making the best of life ... VERY SWEET!!!
oxo

~*~Patty S said...

also wanted to congratulate the lucky winner of your OWOH giveaway!!!
oxo

Naturegirl said...

How romantic..Love was in your hearts ..that's for sure!Creative expressions of love for each other.
..Love will keep you warm during those cold Michigan winds!Cuddle up.

ForgedinPaper said...

What a nice valentine meal especially the potato intials, love it. You book is fab and your right you need the downs to appreciate the ups I think. You make the neatest things.

Beth said...

It looks like you had a wonderful Valentine's Day. The dinner looked wonderful! Loved the African Violets.
You did a wonderful job on his book. Loved it!
Hope your feeling good. I will try to post on my blog soon.
xoxoxoxo

fullsoulahead.com said...

Wow! You both went all out! What a beautiful dinner and a beautiful book! Such creativity!

And what a lovely orange cat you have!

Janet said...

What a fantastic Valentine's Day! The dinner sounds delicious and the book you made is so special. I'm sure Rick loved it.

Joanne Huffman said...

A wonderful day for wonderful people.

Pugelicious said...

What a wonderful Valentines Day. You are very spoilt. The table looked beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Jeanie, you are just the sweetest doll!! I love hand made books - and I can see from his face that Rick was delighted.
A belated Happy Valentine's day to you with love.
Qu

Ann Marie said...

a menu printed in french! how lovely!

Unknown said...

oh Jeanie reading your post, well it made me cry,really, it was such a special Valentine's for you both, so much Love and care shown by each of you too each other.
Through Life's ups and downs if you have the LOVE of that "Special One" you are blessed and I am Happy that you and Rick truly are.

what a beautiful book you made him, he will treasure that FOREVER.

Funny my friend, I think of you often, and then with one thing and another a day goes by without me telling you so, so know that I do think of you often
Love ya my precious, wonderful friend... must talk soon
e mail me when is a good time and I will call (oh and let me have your no. again) xxxx

jet1960 said...

You have a special guy! Of course I'm sure he knows he's got something wonderful in you, too, as evidenced by all the thought he put into your Valentine's Day.

Judy Winter said...

I am so proud of both of you for your wonderful Valentine's Day gift choices for each other (although Rick really outdid himself) WOW!! Only one thing left to say to you, good buddy. When do I get my book??!! xo

Popular Posts