Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In the Kitchen! (Recipes below!)

NOTE: At Chopsticks and String, check out "Wishin' and Hopin'" by Wally Lamb!

Now, I love cooking, and usually I'm very content to spend my Sundays that way. But Rick was returning from his trade show last Sunday (a week ago) and I had plenty to do before I picked him up. Finish wrapping some Christmas and birthday presents (I know -- but they're almost done). Start getting my creative Valentine's Day act together. Hit the gym. It wouldn't kill me to pick up the house or take down another tree.

Cooking something elaborate wasn't in my plan.

Recently I wrote about my experience making Julia's Bouef Bourgouginon (I really should look that up -- I don't think I've ever spelled it right!). That experience resulted in a fabulous dinner -- one that probably took five hours to do! (Granted, it was my first time; still...)

Well, about two years ago, I posted a recipe from that treasured collections of recipes called "Mom's Recipe Book." She loved to cook too!

This was for a mock version -- and one that takes a heck of a lot less time.

Having learned a couple of tricks from Julia, I revamped the recipe -- it's still easy and fast, but I think a little better than mom's original (though that's even faster). I'm posting both recipes below -- first the original, then my knock off!

Mama Zean's Fake Beef Burgundy
Add Image
1-2 pounds of stewing beef -- put in casserole.
1 package of sliced or button mushrooms

Separately, whisk together: 1 can Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup
1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix (I recommend using less; it's a tad salty)
1 c. wine

Toss it together and bake for two hours (and you can go more) at 350. Serve over noodles (or, I suppose, Julia's recommended potatoes!).

Jeanie's Phony Beef Burgundy

Season 1-2 pounds of stewing beef with salt and pepper and brown in olive oil over medium high heat till a tad "crusty" (this was a Julia trick!)

Put beef in casserole with 1 package of sliced or button mushrooms.

In skillet, soften 1-2 onions (depending on size) and a couple of carrots in olive oil. Add to beef/mushrooms. (This was a riff on Julia, too.)

Separately, whisk together: 1 can Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup
1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix (or less)
1 c. wine
lots of thyme (I kicked in some herbs de Provence, too.)

(Note: I got wicked and used more wine, and I didn't have the packaged soup, so I put in the liquid from a can of Campbell's onion soup -- about half the can. This presented a problem and I had to add some cornstarch when it came out of the oven to thicken it up; still good -- but next time, I'll stick to the recipe quantities!) Toss it together and bake for two hours (and you can go more) at 350. I served it over whole wheat noodles -- just because.

9 comments:

Sugar Bear said...

Sounds yummy! I have made something similar in the crock pot before. Tasty!
Karla

Anya said...

THANKS for the recept
and YES I can read it !!!!!
I will try to make it :-)
Sounds very delicious.

BONNIE K said...

I can attest that this was very good. And very easy. I have a friend who adds canned peas (the tiny ones) at the end of recipes like this - just cooking enough to heat up, and that is good too.

Amy said...

That sounds so ridiculously good! I'm saving it for later on in the week!!

Joanne Huffman said...

Sounds pretty tasty to me.

Linda Jo said...

Sounds verrrrrrry comforting to me!

Pugelicious said...

I love these types of meals - although our current summer temperatures are probably not the best time. I will definitely give it a try when our season changes though.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anno said...

This sounds so good -- beef burgundy over noodles is just the best (far better than potatos; sorry, Julia), and this sounds fabulous! Definitely not a meal where you should worry too much about dietary virtue: I'd go for two bottles of wine, just in case. Enjoy the wickedness!

Popular Posts