As I think I mentioned in a previous Greg-related post, he is the artist in the family. So, as he was confronted with this cancer diagnosis, I thought about his art and expressing himself that way. So, I had been thinking of making him an art journal.
Then in an e-mail, I think, Karla suggested the same. When the same idea keeps popping up, I listen.
This is what I came up with. Actually, this is it before I added the Japanese coins -- three of them, different sizes, in various spots on the top. I never got a photo of the finished thing.
I first covered the journal with a peachy wallpaper. (I couldn't get the spirals out, and I'm not fond of the black edge, but they were a little different than some and I didn't think I'd get them in again.)
Then I did the pull-down paint technique I learned about at Artiscape. I pulled down two colors with a buff, and then started using the turquoise as accent. The words are packing tape transparencies. After it was pulled together, I used Dorland's wax to finish it off.
Now, I hope he uses it!
While I had supplies out, I prepped some stock for future bookmarks.
I started out with the heavy white stock and put layers of modeling paste on both sides. While doing so I added texture with some stencils and mesh from an onion bag. Then I gave it a light bit of color.
I didn't like those, so out came my favorites -- turquoise and greens.
With both sides covered with the paste, the texture is like a leather or soft plastic. I'll slice them up for book marks and textured embellishments for an upcoming project. I'll show you how they turn out later!