Friday, September 15, 2017

La Belle Quebec, Au Revoir

And so, as all good things come to an end, it was time to leave. Rick packed up his bike and we bid farewell to Guitta and our B&B.


Then a short walk to the train station. Downhill, thank goodness, though when dragging luggage, that isn't quite as easy as it seems!


We had to arrive early so Rick could check his bike but that gave us some time so we enjoyed a few quiet moments by the lovely fountain outside. Take a look at that sky. Figures. The day you leave, the sun is out full force!


Our destination? Montreal. We were taking the train to Toronto (I was going on to London) and due to connections we'd have an overnight. We arrived several hours later and were ravenous, not having eaten since Guitta fed us so well that morning. We found a fabulous restaurant called Industria next door to our hotel that is worth mentioning.


Rick had the orichette, I had the pizza Calbrese (and we shared). Both were outstanding!

 

Then our room at the Alt Hotel -- with its fabulous view.


The next morning it was the train to Toronto. We no sooner arrived that Rick changed into his bike clothes and was off on his bike to meet me and Suzanne later part way to London.



I, on the other hand, found myself in a great city with about an hour to spare on the day of the eclipse! The sun was bright as could be and we saw no shadow overtake it, but the bellhop at the Royal York, across from the train station, gave me a glimpse through his special glasses. It was remarkable. But I couldn't keep his glasses, so I did the next best thing. I took shelter in the Royal York.


Think about it. Sit in a train lobby for an hour or sit here? After all, I was in good company!


Yes, I thought so!

Canada is celebrating 150 years (although that's the British 150; the French might have something to say about that!) They are encouraging tourism and I recommend it too!


The rest of the story is cut and dried -- a solo train jaunt for me, reuniting with my wonderful friend in London and hopping in the car to get Rick at our meeting point. More or less. It would be home the next day.


There's one more post in this series -- travel tips. While they are especially useful if you're headed to Quebec, you'll find they may well apply to other destinations, too!

Miss anything -- here are links to Day One (Arrival) / Our terrific B&B / Day Two, Morning / Day Two, AfternoonDay Three / Three Churches / The Murals

31 comments:

Joanne Huffman said...

You really do know how to travel in style.

Marilyn Miller said...

What a lovely trip, even sitting in the hotel and by that pretty fountain. The meal sounds delicious too.

Joyful said...

This brings back memories. I used to take the small plane from the Royal York back to Ottawa when I lived there. Such a lovely place to take a plane, or a train :-)

Pom Pom said...

How lovely! Beautiful! I bet you soaked it up and are living in the afterglow!

My name is Erika. said...

The idea of traveling by train is rather romantic-not in the love way but in the big idea. What a cool way to travel. What were your impressions of a few hours in Montreal? One of these days I am going to head that way-it's only 4-5 hours away from me. And why do I never think to go north to Canada? I guess I get so wrapped up in my own little piece of the world. Enjoying your travel posts. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You confused me SO much. I knew you were in Canada, then you were headed to London (and Rick was biking there), then back home the next day. I've always said I was geographically challenged, and now I know there is a LONDON in Ontario. Boy do I feel like a blond bimbo. SO glad I have the power to search the internet (grin).

That fountain at the train station was fabulous. It looks like RUST to me. I love it.

Looks like you enjoyed your meal, and of course, the view from your hotel was stunning. I simply adore night shots, partly because they are often so hard to capture.

Thanks for sharing your lovely trip with us and thanks for forcing me to learn a bit of geography in the process.


Valerie-Jael said...

What a wonderful journey you had, so much to see and experience, just fabulous. Thanks for sharing the photos. Hugs, Valerie

Bella Rum said...

You guys know how to enjoy life. That is the coolest fountain. I bet it was really neat in person. Rick has to be the fittest person ever. He makes me feel lazy. :) Glad you guys had such a wonderful time.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Jeanie, with going back to school and having extremely late nights and early mornings, I missed your last post. I HAVE TO GO here! What a lovely trip you had and everything is so old world, it's a perfect getaway! Welcome back.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Ha Ha Well I'm glad I wasn't the only one really impressed that Rick was cycling halfway to London, UK to meet you later!!! I had to google a map of Canada and then I found the other London - forgive my ignorance, although I'm sure Rick will be pleased to know your readers think he is a complete marathon man!
Wren x

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Jeanie- we are off to Toronto next weekend, to go to a university "fair" so our son can figure out what to do with his life! Ha ha. Both husband and I have lived in London, and my sister and brother and their families live in London. It's one of my favourite places. Hope you had a good visit there. -Jenn

Lynne said...

Loved your Quebec/travel/highlights series . . .
Happy you spent some time with Elizabeth and Phillip . . .
(I need to return to look at her signature . . . seems like she spells Elizabeth differently.)

Kitty said...

A wonderful travelogue. I love the way you write - and I love you - and Rick of course!!!

Arti said...

Yes, I must follow your travel paths to Quebec one of these days, and I live right in Canada. But you know, it just might be easier for you to get there than me. Many years ago we were thinking of a trip to the East coast of Canada, the Maritimes, and eventually opted for Europe instead, as the cost was much lower. But yes, to Quebec, one of these days/years. Thanks for sharing your travel log.

Victoria Zigler said...

Sounds like a lovely end to a wonderful trip!

The French Hutch said...

I've loved my tour with you and Rick when he was between bike trips. Destinations i would love to add to my list of places to see. I know it was a fabulous trip!

Tammie Lee said...

It all sounds so wonderful Jeanie. I am glad you had such a lovely trip.

Sandra Cox said...

I was quite confused about you traveling to London via train till I googled London Canada:)

BeachGypsy said...

Hi there Jeanie, so glad you stopped by and thank you for all your kind words. Yes, it sure was some storm!! We evacuated last year for "Matthew" and yes, we stayed home for this "Irma" and she was one nasty one yes she was. We didn't have any major damage, just lots of garbage and junk that the flood waters brought in, so so so so THANKFUL the water stopped in front of our house, our street completely was under water, but our house stayed dry. I was fine and CALM until the tornado warnings started happening one right after the other---my nerves were shot then! ha ha LOL Now I am off to go read your last post and see your pictures. Hope you are having a real nice weekend my friend!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Great photos of what looked like to be a wonderful trip!! Thanks so much for stopping by!
Hugs,
Deb

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I would have chosen the lobby where you spent your time over the train station waiting area! Much prettier surroundings. I am glad the start of the journey home went smoothly! Looking forward to your travel tips post as I tend to pick up ideas from other travelers when they share their tips!

Pam said...

Looks like you have had a totally amazing time. I love seeing it all through your lens!

Barb said...

Hello Jeanie, Looks like you were bitten by the travel bug this summer (and Rick the biking bug!). Just stopping by to say Hi and hope you're feeling well. Can you believe summer is almost over? Enjoy your fall.

Decor To Adore said...

I wish we had a better train system here in the states. It's such a joy to travel that way. Can't wait for your travel tips.
Have a wonderful week!

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, you have given me a fabulous tour, we enjoy the same kind of travels. I have only been to the western part of Canada, Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff, Calgary,,Victoria, etc. I have to visit Quebec! Thank you for taking me along with you and Rick!

Summer said...

Love following your adventures, Jeanie! Happy Monday :)

Tracy said...

Oooo... more treats, Jeanie! And where the Queen spent some time too! ;) Looking forward to your travel tips & tricks! Happy Days, my friend ((HUGS))

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Doodle T said...

I actually grasped at the sight of Queen Elizabeth and Phillip's signatures in the guest book...how wonderful! What a fabulous trip,Jeanie...can't wait to see your travel tips to Quebec...definitely a place we need to experience.:)

Jenny Woolf said...

Rick must cycle like the wind!
And that certainly looks like a wonderful place to spend an hour or so!
The fountain is quite interesting, I spent a while looking at the picture to see if I could figure how it worked.

Sally Wessely said...

The lobby of that hotel was just amazing.

Popular Posts