Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Old Friends, New Friends -- A Road Trip to Toledo

There's something about fall that calls for a road trip. And even though it wasn't what I call "full fall" (in fact, it had only just begun), our road trip to Toledo was still filled with loads of fun and yes, a little bit of color!

 

But before we could hit the road we had very important fun to attend to! My friend Tom Taylor and his wife Mindy were in town for Michigan State's homecoming festivities and we got together for brunch before we left for the trip.

Tom and I met when we were in grad school statistics class and believe me when I say I never would have passed that class without Tom who could explain things infinitely better than either of the two instructors who taught it. We had a little study group that somehow helped us get through it together! 


After graduation, Tom returned to Syracuse, where he met Mindy and gave up broadcasting for law. We've kept in touch and saw each other  most recently when he was in Michigan as an election worker during the 2020 election. I'd only met Mindy once before (another homecoming trip!) so it was wonderful to see them both and get caught up once again.


Then it was off to Toledo and Rick's 50th high school reunion. We decided to take back roads and the old state highway and it made for a beautiful drive, through little towns and loads of farmland.


Before we went to the first event, we drove through his old neighborhood. This is the house where Rick grew up. As we cruised the streets, he pointed out houses of people I would soon meet! 

The first night was held at a restaurant and Rick was absolutely giddy, seeing people he had known for decades, some since grade school. It felt like the place was packed -- and indeed, it was almost impossible to get a good group photo (especially because the light was terrible and no one stood still!) But there would be other opportunities to come.


Rick was so excited he hardly slept at all. We were staying with his Aunt Carol and after he finally emerged and we had breakfast, we hit the road for some local sightseeing and a walk down memory lane.


 Our first stop was Camp Miakonda, the Boy Scout camp that Rick attended. It used to hold world's longest swimming pool!

We happened on it during an open day so families could check it out and enjoyed a short walk around part of it. I think we all would have enjoyed staying longer but we had places to go!


We drove around University of Toledo and then past Rick's grandparents' house, where he spent a good deal of time as a kid.


Another destination? The house where his mother grew up.


And finally, to his cousin's house. Below are Matt and Renee standing in front of an enormous chalk piece that our Greg did for him. Designed to hang by a sport bar with a mirror opposite, you can see the backwards writing of  University of Michigan's "Hail to the Victors Valiant" along with symbols relevant to U of M, the Big Ten and Matt's dental career!


Then it was time for the reunion dinner. One of Rick's classmates has a beautiful farm and all were invited there. The weather was perfect, a huge tent was decorated with the typical reunion things -- school colors, memory boards, that kind of thing (and, I might add, all beautifully done.) The weather made for a much better class photo than the one I took the night before. Rick is in the front row, between the left and and center!


After Carol's wonderful breakfast the next morning we headed for home, going the back roads and highways again. Of course we had to stop at a pumpkin stand!


You couldn't have asked for a better travel day -- blue skies, corn fields, and lots of farms.


And, we passed through a town with the cutest old movie theatre.

 You can't beat a good weekend like this! Old friends and new friends. Family and sunshine. It's all good.

One other thing -- blogger is not sending me notifications and I know I have missed replying to some comments. Apologies for that. Hopefully it's fixed up now.

A Special Note: Several people asked about the over-the-air antenna I bought so I could drop my cable. I got it from Amazon and it's the Direct ClearStream FLEX Amplified Indoor Antenna. I paid about $47 for it. It's flat and I have it clipped on the side of the bookcase by my front window. It's very unobtrusive and so far, so good!

53 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

We have a similar antenna and have not had cable in many years.
What a lovely fall trip. I think fall is the perfect time for reunions. Your adventure almost makes me think about going again to my own reunion next year.

acorn hollow said...

What a lovely time you both had! Beautiful weather and family and friends who could ask for more?
Cathy

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
What a fun road trip and reunion for Rick and you. It is neat seeing the home where Rick grew up. Love the pumpkin farms and the pretty fall colors. Have a wonderful day!

Joanne Huffman said...

Looks like a fun weekend.

Bill said...

The perfect trip to begin fall. The reunion sounded like a great time for everyone. Enjoy your day.

Mae Travels said...

I love the photos of the family homes. That must be a fabulous stable neighborhood!
Your trip looks great. We never have the patience to take back roads.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I miss fall colors in Michigan. It looks like you had a great time. Enjoy Fall!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy 50th Reunion!
Great smiles on everyone.
The farm silo is beautiful. The mural is gorgeous, great artwork!

anno said...

It sounds like a fabulous, energizing weekend -- and you had the perfect weather for spending time out of doors! I love your pumpkins!

roentare said...

Such a wonderful weekend. Toledo here is different from the city in Spain. Love seeing the bond you share with past friends.

Sandra Cox said...

What a grand journey. So many wonders. Glad you had fun:)

Tammie Lee said...

It looks like you had good weather for a very fun time. Nice that you both have old friends that you enjoy so much! Lovely to see all those beautiful squash and trees donning new colors.

Linda said...

50 is a big one. Wonderful that so many people showed up.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What a lovely post. I am amazed that his mother's house was still standing and looks so good. Sounds like the reunion and the trip was memorable.

Rita said...

I had a broadcast antenna that worked great in the last apartment I lived, but wouldn't work here at all because of the metal siding maybe or something else. So, I had to switch to using the internet.

Looks like such a wonderful reunion! And perfect weather, too. What fun to go back and see all the houses people have lived in. Always fun to see how things have changed or not changed.

We just had our 55th but I couldn't travel back to Minneapolis. I've gotten the group photo and some information from a couple ladies who were there, though. We've had them every five years and I never missed them until must have been the 30th or the 35th. We are getting older. The deceased list is getting longer every time. But the ones who are still here are still a hoot! :)

My name is Erika. said...

That sounds like such a fun weekend trip. I always enjoy those memory drives.It puts a place behind the stories, doesn't it? And it sounds like Rick still has a lot of family in Toledo, so he must have been thrilled to see them, and of course, you also. Hope you're feeling on the improve, and I'm glad you were able to take this trip. hugs-Erika

Veronica Lee said...

What a wonderful fall trip!
I absolutely enjoyed seeing the pumpkin farms and lovely fall foliage.

Hugs and blessings, Jeanie

Lynne said...

My kind of drive and weekend.
Country roads versa freeway I would also choose.
Sometimes not possible though if time is involved.
I enjoyed seeing the family homes . . .
A weekend filled with memories for each of you.

shoreacres said...

I did so much moving around in the years following high school and college that most of the ties from that time have dissolved. In fact, the last time I was in my home town in Iowa was the year we took my mother back for burial -- in 2011. Consequently, I've never been to one of my high school reunions, but Rick's would have been a fun one to party-crash!

Anvilcloud said...

As someone who would shun reunions, this looks very joyful, so I know that I have missed something in life. OTOH I think we all miss something.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Love the photos of the pumpkins, looks like you had a great trip.

La Table De Nana said...

Great happy soul medicine! Love the pumpkins!

This N That said...

Looks like a fun reunion. That’s a lot of people for 50th … I love the homes in that area. I also would’ve chosen the back roads ….more to look at and probably safer. happy fall …

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

What an amazing trip to see old friends, new friends and beautiful s every. The weather was so nice for you to enjoy your getaway. Love the pumpkin patch. Happy fall. If you are missing notifications, go to Setting, scroll down to Email. Choose invite people to comment notifications. Add your email and save. You will receive an email from Google. Click subscribe and you will start receiving email notifications again.

Valerie-Jael said...

What a wonderful trip. Great to be able to go back and meet old friends and see places you know. Really a trip down memory lane. I thought at first you meant Toledo in Spain . now that would have been a long trip! Stay safed and well, Jeanie, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, that sounds like a lot of fun! And such beautiful houses, too.

gigi-hawaii said...

Those houses look so charming. I like the camaraderie and the festive atmosphere. I have been going to most of my class reunions, but next year, I plan to skip my 60th. Too disabled to attend, sorry.

Rita C at Panoply said...

Great weekend for you guys! My brother next to me in age shares Rick's graduation year, and also just celebrated his 50th (while our high school celebrated its 100th year!). Love the chalk graphic Greg made!

Nancy said...

What a wonderful weekend you both had! And what a great turnout for the reunion! It's always so fun to meet up with old classmates.
The houses were beautiful along with that chalk graphic.
Happy Fall Jeannie!

carol@The Red Painted Cottage said...

Looks like the perfect weekend for Rick’s 50th reunion. I loved seeing all the old family homes. Mr. Cottage went to his 60th class reunion this past summer. It was here in town. We went to my 50th a few years back and had a fabulous time. My class had over 500 graduates. My 60th should be in less than 2 years, but no one has mentioned anything about it. It took a lot to have the 50th, so maybe no one want to take it on at our age. Who knows?

Divers and Sundry said...

What an interesting trip.

We got rid of cable years ago. Those antennas work well. And we have a Roku tv, which gives us access to plenty without the expense of cable.

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, the trip sounds perfect. My 50th high school reunion was last summer. It is a great time to see those you haven’t seen in years and probably would not recognize on the street. I am so glad y’all had a good time. I love the photos!

Sandra Cox said...

Don't ya love all the different colored pumpkins they have these days? They're so rich and vibrant.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Looks like wonderful weekend.
Reunions are so much fun. Good for you two!
Lovely countryside and beautiful skues too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Reunions can be interesting and fun. It sounds like Rick enjoyed his. He certainly was able to visit places of meaning to him. And you got a nice reunion with a fellow statistician, one of my favorite subjects. Oh those pumpkins, Jeanie. Look wonderful.

Thanks for the antenna info. Seems it is only good for 50 miles, though, which won't work for me. I saw one with a 70 mile range, which might work, though. Kansas is not just flat. We also have lots of farm land between towns that have stations, like PBS, which is about 65 miles away. And I won't give up PBS (grin).

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

My husband used to get as giddy as Rick about his class reunions. It sounds like you both had a great weekend. So happy for you both.

Sandi Magle said...

Wow, what a great trip...yes, stepping back in time to when you were, "YOU", raw and fresh and those friendships that know no bounds or years, but endure. Lovely post, and great pumpkins!

Joanne said...

That sounds like such a wonderful reunion weekend!

crackercrumblife said...

I love this post so much! It just radiates joy!! And those backroads and farms and pumpkins - beautiful!

R's Rue said...

Lovely.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Jeanie. That looks like the best trip, full of everything that I would love, class reunions, farm country, old homesteads and back roads. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and relaxed a bit..Happy Fall..xxoJudy

Lowcarb team member said...

This looks and sounds a wonderful trip.
Your photographs were great to see, you packed a lot of fun and laughter into these few days ... wonderful :)

All the best Jan

Pamela said...

A great weekend! It looks like a time travel weekend. What fun!

Sandra Cox said...

Glad you had fun with Tom and Mindy:)

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Statistics was one of my favorite classes in school. I loved working with numbers through my career. We have a little movie theatre like that in Hot Springs SD that is still in operation. Now that I am thinking about it, Barb and I will have to go there this fall sometime.

thepaintedapron.com said...

What fun Jeanie, and beautiful photos of the back roads scenery!
Jenna

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

What a wonderful trip! All of those pumpkins!

I have to note though that the door on the grey house isn't central! :D

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Such a nice trip and so many wonderful memories with friends and family. Looks like you had great weather and a nice turn-out for the reunion. Statistics class does sound pretty awful - my mind shuts down when I have to play with numbers! Nice to have help and make a life-long friend, too. Love the sweet photos. x K

DeniseinVA said...

I know how that feels, I’m looking forward to a road trip. Doesn’t have to be too far. The one you took sounds great! Your get together with Tom and Mindy and with such a special connection with Tom, is lovely. So nice to find out about them both. And Rick’s HS graduation too. I am sure he was happy to introduce you to everyone and show you around his old haunts. Sounds like you had a great time and I enjoyed looking at all your photos. What a great trip! Thanks for the tip about the antenna too.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeanie :=)
What a fabulous road trip you had, with reunion with Ricks old class mates and it was nice to see where he grew up,and the house of grandparents and the house where his mother grew up and finally his cousins house, what a great neighbourhood.It all seems so jolly and high spirited
Your smile says it all.
All the best
Sonjia

Sami said...

Love the pumpkin photos, such diverse colours!
50th school reunion, wow, how exciting. And I love that Rick took you around to show you his old homes.
Great trip Jeanie :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I think we have something similar for our antennae. Phil has never had cable! We have always relied on an antennae for local channels and then we have prime, hulu, and netflix. It works out well most of the time. The signal can get a bit wonky when there are high winds but that is pretty unusual. I hope it works well for you! It's nice to drop the cable bill as it can be quite expensive!

What a fun trip for both of you. That is a big class! And Rick and his family have lived in beautiful homes. I love traditional brick homes. They are so timeless!

William Kendall said...

Quite a trip.

Popular Posts