Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Postscards from the Lake: The End of Summer Walk

I love how Garrison Keillor used to begin his monologue on "A Prairie Home Companion." "It's a quiet week here in Lake Woebegon..." he would say. More often than not, I feel that way about the lake, especially as the days shorten and summer draws near its end, the skies change and there is a definite nip in the air.


I've been trying to walk while I'm up here. Sometimes my foot isn't up to the longer walks I did last summer, even if the rest of me is. My "bare minimum" circle is exactly a mile, walking along the road behind many of the lakeside cottages until I turn the corner and find myself in front of those who live in the woods.

So, I leave the vigilant Lizzie, on the hunt for (presumably) a mouse as she stares relentlessly at the area by the kitchen sink. (I have seen no signs yet, by the way). And I head off on my jaunt.


It's changing. You can tell. It's early evening, about seven, as I start out, but already the sun is sinking lower in the sky and the hustle and bustle one might find midday has quieted. I smell a campfire. Or perhaps a barbecue. Probably the latter, as it's a bit early in the evening for a beach fire. It smells good and is a sweet reminder of the times when I could be at a campfire for hours without breathing problems.

I pass by a cottage with a vegetable garden growing atop its septic field in the road across from the house. I hope the septic is doing its job because it is in pretty much full shade most of the day and those things I see from the road like they may be tomatoes that are quite a tad short.

As I walk I am more conscious of sound than when otherwise engaged. From the road I can hear a few boats cruising along the lake -- not too many, as probably most people are still eating dinner. My footsteps make a steady rhythm on the asphalt and a slight breeze (a blessed respite from the heavy winds of the past few days) rustles the leaves of the birch trees. There's little highway noise -- I keep hoping to hear the train but its schedule is far too erratic to plan anything by it.


On occasion, a car passes and we always wave. I have no idea who those people are nor do they know me. But the "wave" is just what we do. To be honest, if someone doesn't wave, I feel a bit slighted. There are many kinds of waves at the lake -- all of which I wrote about HERE. No matter what kind, it always makes me smile.

The wildflowers are still at hand but fading. Jewel weed grows in clumps, there are occasional daisies. The Queen Anne's lace is in the half-and-half stage. Half still boasts large, lacy blooms.


The other half has shriveled into a seedy ball and soon will drop those seeds for more blooms next summer.


Most prevalent is the goldenrod. A few weeks ago there was just the occasional bloom. Now they line up, like Follies girls in a row, all with their colorful headdresses.


And now and then we see an early turner -- generally a clump of maple leaves going red or elms going yellow. Fall is coming.


A flock of geese flies north (why north?) -- seven of them, squalking along the way. A few minutes later I see another flock headed west. (Why west?) There are eight in this group. Perhaps they are directionally challenged. I can relate to that at times.

After spotting Bunny Number Twelve, scampering off into the woods, I have completed my circle, landing back at the cottage. Inside, two fresh bouquets of sunflowers bought at the morning market greet me, along with a chatty cat, stretching and flirting, hoping for a treat.


I settle in to the porch, the first day in four that I have been able to sit out here, for it has been too cold and far too windy. The sun is low in the sky, casting golden shadows on the lake and a small group of ducks float by, in no seeming hurry. A small bird is at the shoreline. I can't see him well, as he is backlit but he appears to have rather long legs and moves quickly, eating his way down the shore.

Next door (the good neighbors), a young boy, maybe five, is dashing around in a black tuxedo, complete with bow tie and shirt tails hanging. "I'm James Bond," he tells me. How a five year old knows about James Bond I find a bit disturbing but as heroes go, he could emulate worse. (His uncle tells me that earlier in the day he was a ring bearer and he has been wearing the tux ever since.)

The lake is calm. The sounds of Frank Sinatra (or maybe Michael Buble) are coming from next door, quiet, just enough to get the melody. I'm inclined to ask them to turn it up a bit. But maybe not. A pontoon boat goes by slowly, the sun is about to burst out from under cloud cover for what I suspect might be a very nice sunset.


"James Bond," whose real name is Dylan, has returned in a life jacket, headed for the dock to go for a boat ride with his uncle. I hope nothing blows up. You never know with James Bond.


It has been a good day. The market, painting (three new watercolors), a good walk, a car wash (well, good until the vacuum broke before I got the second side of the car cleaned out but at least the outside is good!) and a good book.


Rick has arrived at the lake after 400 miles on the bike. Cooking out. Baking bread. grabbing on to the last of summer. Life is good.

Sharing with: Let's Keep in Touch     /    Best of the Weekend   

45 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Boy summer sure does end awfully fast, doesn't it? Shorter days, cooler nights (although that makes good sleeping), the gardens starting to fade. I know what you mean. Its like all of a sudden nature starts to wear out from all its summer glory. Boy that's a gorgeous sky photo. And good Rick made it there. Enjoy some yummy bread. Hugs-Erika

Susie said...

Jeanie, This is the best post ever. The only way it could have been better would be you reading it to me while I am swinging in a hammock. :):) Your pictures and descriptions made me feel the end of summer is here. I have noticed the shorter daylight, oh that crushes me because I love those long days. Blessings to you dear friend, xoxo, Susie

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Beautiful word pictures of life in the lake counties of Michigan. I miss those days and reading your descriptions pulls at my heart. But I do wish it didn't feel like fall already! It always makes its first appearance with hurricane season down south, doesn't it.

Marilyn Miller said...

What a perfect way to grab the end of summer. I loved your descriptions along your walk and could almost imagine walking with you. Oh, Lizzie looks so happy too in her vigilance. What a beautiful place to celebrate summers end.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Jeanie, when you have a beautiful place to get away from it all, it must be sad to see the summer come to an end. It sounds so peaceful there and I can tell you love it. Just keep the anticipation in mind for next summer..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Jeanie, I loved hearing about your lovely day. Described so beautifully--Your cottage at the lake sounds like paradise. Grab hold of the last days there, my friend.

Lowcarb team member said...

Life really does look good :)
Lovely post and photographs.

All the best Jan

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Beautiful picture of “up north” that you paint with your words.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think that your analogy of the goldenrod reminding you of the follies girls is entirely appropriate, Jeanie, and it made me smile. Goldenrod can make me smile, in fact, and I am sure a follies girl would too! As for the Canada Geese, it is too early for them to be migratory birds and I suspect they are just travelling in the direction of good feeding. Soon you will be closing the cottage for another year and returning home. Enjoy it while you may.

Mae Travels said...

You are forcing me to face the changing season. Not summer any more. We are leaving town and I know that everything will be different when we return -- but you are making me see that it's different already! So many clues, and you have called them out so beautifully.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

bobbie said...

Gorgeous pix, as always! I am eagerly awaiting fall here ~ it was 96* here today!! So thank you for sharing your cool evening with us!

DUTA said...

Frank Sinatra's voice and a glorous sunset! Yes, life is good.

Iris Flavia said...

It is so sad - but certainly natural - that summer has to end.
Sorry about your foot! Just yesterday I walked 3 km to realize I forgot something and just turned around - to imagine I could not do "just that" - you make feel very thankful.
You wrote this very beautifully and took me back to Outback Australia, too, where you wave hello whenever you meet another car(-driver).
James Bond made me smile big :-)
Oh, what a bitter-sweet post - "I did it my way" comes to mind, one of my hubby´s fav songs.
Enjoy your sweet company and the bread!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've also noticed how the sun is setting faster and is lower in the sky. Your pictures are magical and bring all that to the fore. However, it's not cool here. It's still hot, hot, hot. What I would give to say the words it was too cold and windy to sit on my porch. Windy, yes, I can hear the wind chimes even now, but not cold at all. Lucky you.

You got some lovely photos. And I laughed at the little boy who played James Bond. I think that's an admiral hero. Far better than one with "super" powers.

What a lovely end to the summer at the lake.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your lake sounds such a wonderful place to be, Glad you manage a short walk every day, that's good. The evenings are getting shorter here, too - autumn is coming! Hugs, Valerie

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Utter bliss to read this treat of words as I sit here sipping my morning tea.

Deb in Wales xo

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

I loved that, Jeanie; very nice, evocative, piece of writing. On a more boisterous note, I can't help thinking, "Oh - Oh - Dylan!". Way back in another life, Garrison Keillor used to appear on BBC Radio 4 when I was driving somewhere tedious. He had such a mellow voice; I assumed that Lake Woebegon was a fictional place, but you tell me...

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

You made me smile with the whole James Bond going out in the boat thing. (Husband and daughter enjoy watching those movies). I know the "feel" you are describing as summer winds down. Have a great week, Jeanie! -Jenn

Joanne Huffman said...

The end of summer and early fall are always welcome - no matter where I am. It's always good to read about and see pictures from your time at the lake.

shoreacres said...

How I long for a taste of autumn! This is the season of autumn envy for us, with hundred-degree days forecast for the next full week, before a slide down into the -- nineties? Oh, my. I've not seen any goldenrod yet, although I've heard that a few teal have shown up from the northland. Autumn will come, but not for a while.

Your description of your walk was lovely -- I could smell the woodsmoke. And that photo of Lizzie made me laugh out loud. That is so cat. Sometimes Dixie would do that, and I never, ever could figure out what she was aware of. They're such fun to watch.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Beautiful reflection as we enter the end of the summer season. As you know, I used to be a huge runner, but now I mostly walk. It's been a nice change of pace (pun intended!) for me. I notice more and soak in more on these walks than I did when I was running and focusing on my pace. Most of my walks are family walks with Phil and Paul. Phil and I have our best talks on these walks since there are no distractions. Paul loves to wave at people and he often gets slighted - mostly because people have head phones in and are looking down. I get it, I used to be one of those people with headphones, looking at my pace on my watch. But now I'm looking up and greeting people and I feel a little bummed when Paul's enthusiastic wave and 'hola' goes unacknowledged. We notice bunnies, ducks and squirrels and Paul excitedly shouts 'agua' over and over when we walk by the creek. It's a nice way to take in the world!

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, I adore everything about this post from the gorgeous photos to your descriptive commentary! Lake life suits you my friend! Enjoy the waning days of summer.

Pam said...

okay.....first KUDOS to Rick for the miles and for the fact he rides that bike and stays fit. KUDOS also to you for walking. Walking is a great exercise and suppose to be really good for fibro folks, however since this last flare up gave me a lot of issues with the legs I have not been walking. The pool has been a MAJOR help. Walking around here consist of walking in the hood on the road. I could go to the greenway but being off and about out on those trails where so many walk sort bothers me to do it alone. Anyway, maybe if I could rework my thought process and get out first thing in the morning before coffee and blogging I could start walking again.....there is a thought!

William Kendall said...

Summer certainly is racing towards its conclusion.

Pamela said...

Such a wonderful life at the lake!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A great post, Jeanie, as I did enjoy seeing all the blooms and especially that wonderful sunset and hearing Sinatra or Buble is all good. Glad Rick arrived safely and wondered HOW long did it take to cycle 400 miles and hopefully he stopped all along the way as well.

Carola Bartz said...

400 miles on the bike - wow! He really is back, isn't he?
I loved your walk. Thank you for taking me, it was so beautiful.

Evi Erlinda said...

Nice and sweet experiences in the lake :)
Love your photos.

Tamara said...

Ah Jeanie, ive just ceelebrated the best start to spring, with beautiful weather and a gorgeous view of sydney harbour shining its best welcome to the new season.... its time we swap seasons again! Seriously tho, i agree with many of your friends, this is just the best post! One day I hope to get to visit this lake of yours...

Tamara said...

Ps. Well done Rick! I look forward to Ricks guest post?

Sami said...

Beautiful photos and so lovely to be relaxing and enjoying the last days of Summer.
The waving reminds me of the small village where I lived in Portugal where everyone waved or said hello when driving or walking. A wonderful habit and makes you feel connected to the community.
Enjoy your time there Jeanie.

Victoria Zigler said...

Sounds like a wonderful walk, and a delightful end to the day. Not to mention, a perfect way to start saying goodbye to Summer. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I hope Dylan has only heard of James Bond, and isn't entirely familiar with his... Erm... Shall we say adventures? *wink*

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Jeanie, so many wonderful things here to comment on. I'll just comment on Lizzie--perhaps she was only staring at a spider (I *hope* you don't have to deal with a mouse!). Our cat goes into that same vigilant stare, and can't be distracted, whenever he is stalking a sweet little daddy-long-legs spider.

Michelle said...

Your post paints such a lovely picture - one that delights the senses.

Joyful said...

You set the scene at the lake so beautifully with your photos and your prose. I enjoyed our walk. It is always bittersweet when summer comes to a close. Enjoy the time left at the lake.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks for letting us share your walk and time spent on the porch, and with Ms. Lizzie. It was quite peaceful and lovely:)

Sandra Cox said...

Glad Rick made it back safe and sound.

La Table De Nana said...

Well written⭐️⭐️

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

It was a pleasure sharing this virtual walk with you! It was so descriptive that I could hear your footsteps on the pavement, and smell the barbecue. I especially love the golden lake photo!

Sketchbook Wandering said...

I love everything about your essay...in the present tense, you have taken me with you...I love how connected you are to your thoughts & feelings...These are moments that can be so fleeting, but writing them brings concrete form...(these are some reflections I've been having lately, about my own process.) The wildflowers were so familiar as I just finished my "Garden" book...I didn't post my photos, but maybe...Queen Anne's Lace, I havent seen the little red seeds, I must go looking! But the Goldenrod, the Jewelweed, the others, they have beome my friends as I spend time with them...Yes, Keillor created atmosphere & pictures...Speaking of atmosphere, that first photo is just gorgeous and so painterly....It's all out there when we stop to notice....

Thanks for your comment on the subject of drawing...If you can, find a class or a group based on The Natural Way to Draw it would be better than just the book...

I feel like I just went on a meditative nature walk with you, & now I can begin my day! Thank you, Jeanie!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! Summer is fading and fall is coming. I just wish I could feel it a little - it's hot hot hot here!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jeanie,
Beautiful photos!! Thanks so much for sopping by!! I went to Dollar Tree again and came home once again with another haul of goodies!! They keep putting out new things every time I go!
Hugs,
Deb

Joanne said...

I sure hope James Bond made it back home safely! LOL. He sounds like a real cutie. What a beautiful sunset!

Sandra at Maison De Jardin said...

Love this post, Jeanie. Especially Miss Lizzie, did she ever find was she thought might be around? And the glorious sunset - no words.

Thanks for sharing your lake with us, I have enjoyed every post.

Monica Hein ~ Beauty Diary said...

That sunset picture is amazing

Following!

Popular Posts