Sunday, September 1, 2019

Postcards from the Lake: Art Camp - the Art

More from art camp where our supervisor is taking a break!


For the first time I decided to have specific goals. They were to:  Use materials new to me, including the pan pastels Kate gave me for my birthday and my watercolor brush markers; work outside my comfort zone and rely a little more on drawing it all instead of tracing through the key outlines with graphite paper; learn to work a little more freely and creatively and to watch some instructional videos instead of just diving in!

Kate's goals were to complete two or three of her pages for her 2020 bird calendar which she does every  year for our November sale.


 So, how did we do?

Let's start with new materials.  My first efforts at the pan pastels were not great! (A first time, what can you expect?!) But I like this new mediium, both for using on its own, like this cat...


...or sunset.


I was probably happiest with this bunny. Still not right, but all pan pastels. They have wonderful blending qualities.


You can also use them on watercolor. I did this sunset scene from one of my photos in watercolor, then enhanced the water and sky with pan pastel. It's not my best work but it was good practice.


Remember this one? I enhanced the sky and ground with the pan pastels here, too, and I like it much better than the initial version. It's a little brighter and has more energy.


The sunflowers were also a watercolor, enhanced by pan pastel.


I also learned that when you are finished with the work, you have to spray it to keep the pastel from "spreading" its color on just about anything you come into contact with!


Kate graciously sprayed mine because of my lung issues. I'll have to wear a mask when I do this at home. The stuff is seriously stinky!


I'd say I really enjoyed working with the pastels and will continue to use them often. I suspect I will probably use them more for highlighting watercolor than independently, but when I watch some of the videos on the soffttools site, I am amazed at their potential. (And by the way, watching those videos helped meet another of my goals!)


Another new material to me was my watercolor pens. I've had these a few months and fiddled with them and can't say they knock me out but I did get some practice with them.  I'm inclined to think that they will be most used for adding detail to my regular watercolors. Maybe it's just this brand -- Arteza -- but they don't seem to blend very well. Most all of the blending below came from -- you guessed it -- the pan pastels!


Another goal was to incorporate my drawing or sketching more than I usually do into my art. Quite often for the main outlines or details, I will sketch in over a graphite paper, an erasable paper similar to carbon paper. This helps keep my lines straight and proportions right but even though I know a ton of artists who either use this method, a light box, projections or pencil-scratching on the back of a photo and tracing over the main lines onto the painting surface, I feel a teeny bit like it's cheating. So the sketch below is from hand only -- looking at a photo.


Then I drew it freehand onto my watercolor paper. (To be honest, I like the sketch better!) I painted it in, enhanced the sky with the pastels and then added some sketch detail lines. It's a little wonky but I kind of like it!


And this one was just free-drawn from a Paris photo I took of the bouquinistes. I did this in pencil and added the back detail lines later. I'm still not gung ho on the bookcase. There was so much shadow in the original, I'm not sure I could really get it like I wanted. But I still feel really happy with this one overall.


I often feel my painting is a little tight -- a little too detail-oriented, a little over-painted. Not long ago I shared this book of wonderful watercolors from Paris., rene Ochia's "Carnet de Paris 7e & 15e Arrondissements."


I like the style of the sketch as well as the fading out of the extraneous material. Earlier this summer I did this one. (At least one blog reader should recognize this setting!) If you note, it is "fully painted" and it's harder to find the subject of the painting -- the fellow with the bicycle.



This is the re-do. I like it much better. By lightening up the building next door to the house, the cyclist shows up better. He will show up even better when I add another gentle layer of blue to his shirt!


I also did a couple of Christmas cards and this one -- a get well card.


All in all, a good body of work.


And how did Kate do?


Very well!  She finished two of her paintings for her 2020 calendar and the preliminary sketch for her last page. Happy camper indeed!


I leave you with a burst of color, courtesy of the sky.


Future painting, maybe?

Sharing with:  Let's Keep in Touch     /   The Creative Connection    /   Best of the Weekend    

48 comments:

Joyful said...

Lovely, lovely paintings :-)

bobbie said...

I think you did just great with the pan-pastels on your first try!! I know I don't have to remind you that practice makes perfect!!
And yes, that sunset needs to be a painting!
Hugs ~

Valerie-Jael said...

You have made lots of beautiful and colourful art. Glad you are having fun with new materials. Fixative spray is always smelly! Have a great, new week, have fun! Hugs, Valerie

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Isn't it fun to have something new to play with? I love what you are doing, and look forward to what you do next, as you say your end photo is a possibility, and I think would look stunning! It's a scary thing, spray fixing your pastel, I remember watching my first one disappear into the oblivion of using the wrong paper.

Deb in Wales

Joanne Huffman said...

Love the photo of all the watercolors on the table. I also like it when I like a piece and then you redo it and I also like the redo. And, sunset photos are always beautiful.

Iris Flavia said...

The bunny´s look is awesome, he´s planning something "naughty"?
Oh, the sunflowers, so lovely!
You´re so talented. I gave up, sadly.
When studying architecture we had "Aktzeichnen", figure drawing, maybe I´ll share some of the pregnant woman one day. I always wanted to do a class again, but somehow... the spirit is lost.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is great to keep challenging yourself, Jeanie. The journey is surely as important as the destination and I think your whole life is living proof of this.

Sami said...

What a great idea to become acquainted with new painting mediums. I've used pastels a long time ago when I used to paint and liked painting with them.
The watercolour with the cyclist (Rick I presume), I also prefer the softer second version.
Well done to you and Kate on your productive work.

Evi Erlinda said...

Wonderful paintings! I love all of them Jeanie. Sunflower looks so sweet and bunny is very cute :)

Mae Travels said...

Your accomplishments are fantastic. I really like the image of the red brick building with the cyclist.

best.... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Pamela said...

Gorgeous pictures! I want to go to art camp with you!

My name is Erika. said...

Good for you for using pan pastels. And you had success. I am impressed. I have some but have never mastered them even close to what you have. But I love the idea of enhancing your watercolor pieces. I enjoyed looking at all the art today. Happy September. hugs-Erika

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Your art camp was a great success! Trying new materials and techniques always brings out such wonderful creativity and fun in learning the process. You're making me sorry I donated all my pastels. Be sure you only use that spray outside. It's very dangerous for your lungs.

Carol @ The Red Painted Cottage said...

Jeanie, I really love your rabbit and your happy Santa, as well as many of your other colorful art work! You’ve been on quite the roll creating amazing art!

La Table De Nana said...

Oh well done and I have to say you are so fortunate to have such a very lovely painting buddy!Lusting over the book..I have a few..not this artist..and I am lusting.;)

Linda said...

So fun to experience something new and have it go well. To be honest, I like the fat cat on top...he made me smile. And your Eiffel scene, I liked it the first time but the colors do pop now. Well done.

Looks like you guys enjoyed thoroughly.

Susie said...

I like learning to use new art materials. I love the sunset and street fair pictures the best. The blue door painting is nice too. :) You ladies had so much fun. I need a weekend of art fun...I have been talking to my granddaughter about us painting sunsets, as both love them. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You paint beautifully, Jeanie. I've told you that before, and I mean it. You got a great body of work.

I bought a bunch of Pan Pastels on clearance several years ago at $2.50 (USD) each, plus tax. They were originally marked $6.95, so I was happy to get them. HOWEVER, the first thing I did was smear them when my arm brushed across the page. No one told me how tenuous they were. I also didn't buy the special tools. Instead, I use tampons (Tampax brand to be exact) to blend mine. Of course, I'm using mine for backgrounds, not focal images. Your first attempts turned out PURRfect.

Regina said...

I sure wish I had your talent. My daufhter is the artist and she's really good at it. I think she inherited it from her grandmother on hubby's side and my dad who loved to draw.
Have a blessed week!

FrenchGardenHouse said...

All of your work is stunning, but of course my favorites are the French ones! You are so talented, I enjoyed seeing all your pieces, they are lovely! As soon as I retire from the FGH I plan on working more on my art again, and its always an inspiration to see what you are creating. Thank You! Xo Lidy

Rita C at Panoply said...

I am fascinated with your artistic process and mediums used! I see your work as beautiful end results and much talent.

Anca said...

I love how the sunset painting looks like now. I'm very keen on vibrant colours. You are so talented, I enjoy seeing your artwork a lot.

Sandra Cox said...

You accomplished so much. I love everything.

crackercrumblife said...

Wow these are all so wonderful!!! I really love the sunflowers - so bright and cheery!

It looks like this was a great day!

Susan Kane said...

Your art always makes me happy.

Red Rose Alley said...

These paintings are very nice, Jeanie. I especially like the bunny, Paris café, and of course, Santa. : ) The get well wishes is such a thoughtful idea. And the sunset photo at the end is beautiful. I can't wait until Autumn, cause the sunrises are dazzling and are much earlier in the mornings than Summertime. : )
Keep painting, Jeanie. You definitely have the gift.

~Sheri

Hena Tayeb said...

So many lovely pieces.. you have to spray pencil and charcoal drawings as well.. so increase their life and keep them from smudging.

Prims By The Water said...

They all look so wonderful! Janice

Lowcarb team member said...

I think they are all beautiful and so colourful, thanks for sharing your art-work.

The colours in the sky in your last photograph are truly amazing.

All the best Jan

Carola Bartz said...

Wow Jeanie, you did extremely well. I wish I would only be half as creative as you are. I like Pan Pastels, but I'm the messy type and often use my fingers instead of the sponge tools. Very messy indeed. The spray smells awful, but it is indeed quite important.
I like the free hand cathedral. I am hopeless at freehand drawing something like this, but perhaps I just have to try and practice more often.
By the way, I wish I had a supervisor like you do!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Enjoyed the pastels, Jeanie, although i can understand how they could really be quite challenging to work with because of easily smearing. The Paris scenes were my favorites here.

Sketchbook Wandering said...

OMG, I wish I could be there at art camp with you two!!! What a fun setting in which to play and experiment and work/play! I appreciate your courage in trying new materials & ways. I like the effect you got of the pastel over watercolor and I do like the sunset! It's vibrant. I can't be exposed to sprays as I have chemical allergies. There are pastel crayons & harder sticks, but they don't have that soft quality of pastels...

To loosen up, I would recommend some drawing à la The Natural Way to Draw...It's better in a class or group than just reading the book, still...A key is gesture drawing, a sort of scribbling & contour drawing. Yay for you to leap into some free hand drawing instead of tracing. I do both, depending on the context, it is the freehand habit that allows me to put more expression into my sketching, even if i lose some accuracy.

Thank you for your wonderful comment (s). I just love hearing from you...Happy creating, Rita

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jeannie,
OMG!! What a wonderful post filled with so much eye candy!! I wish I would be able to paint like that but I do not have a steady hand!
Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Sketchbook Wandering said...

PS I also have that Carnet book, and love it! I think it's part of a series. I just love those French illustrated journal books! There are "a few", ahem, on my bookshelf...

Pam said...

HAHA...loving the look on the kitty's face! Priceless. Great art work. You have really been going to town on them. I need to light a fire and get busy....I have a paint party coming up and I need to paint a couple paintings for them to go by, a Christmas card and some ornaments....oh my, I need to get BUSY.

NanaDiana said...

You do such lovely paintings. My favorite is probably the bunny though...and the city scape with the brightened colors. How wonderful to have that kind of talent.xo Diana

Marie Rayner said...

Oh my, you have been so busy Jeannie! I have loved seeing all of your work. You are so very talented. I started with Pastels when I was only a teenager. I have to say I prefer alcohol markers and then water colours. I don't seem to have near enough time to play these days. I wish I had more! Happy September! xoxo

Little Wandering Wren said...

Art Camp looks tremendous fun and very productive! I love your artwork, your cat came out well. The tea and cake Get well Soon card would be sure to cheer someone up. Happiness is having a friend who will spray your art when you can't do it!
Lovely post, Jeanie.
Wren x

Tracy said...

Oh, how sweet is that "portrait" of Miss Lizzie at the top! That could be some painting practice for you, Jeanie! Pan Pastels are fun! They do take a little bit of fiddling with. But they are fun to layer with, like you did with the watercolors, they become "more" somehow, even richer...as you say, more energy. I really like how you've embraced this new medium! That is the only drawback about Pan Pastels--you gotta spray the finished pieces--definitely not the fun part. :/ I've tried watercolor pencils and crayons, but not watercolor pens...fun! LOVE seeing what you & Kate get up to in the summer... And that last imagine HAS to be a painting, oh, yes! ;) Happy Days ((HUGS))

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Wow! Your paintings are wonderful and so varied in subject matter. Love them all!

thepaintedapron.com said...

I love seeing your experiments Jeanie, and my my you did produce a lot at art camp! I got some pan pastels last summer and have barely played with them...they are very different from regular pastels, and ultimately I think I will love them...I like seeing how you used them with watercolor, I know alot of pastel painters do an underpainting with gouche, one more thing on my to try list! As for the watercolor brush pens, try using a water brush pen along with them {or a brush dipped in water} They do take some getting used to but they are so easy to grab and go! Ultimately I think all art is experimentation, and you should do it however you enjoy it!! I love your Paris street scenes!
Jenna

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Thanks, as always, for sharing your art. It's fun to see what others are able to do! I do not have any drawing/painting abilities (trust me!) so I really respect what you and Jan are able to do. I loved seeing the contract between the 2 paintings with the biker! So cool how you are able to make him 'pop' a bit more.

Decor To Adore said...

You are a true talent! I adore the scenes of Paris. I'll have to try pan pastels.

Anonymous said...

I'm convinced, you can do anything! Love all of your art work. Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sandra at Maison De Jardin said...

Oh, Jeanie, I want to participate in Art Camp. I know, I will cook for everyone and you can teach me to draw decent stick figures. Certainly, I could earn my keep. I am truly in love with, the bunny, the Paris street scene, Santa, and the sunflower. I would be happy with them all in our home. You are an amazing talent, Jeanie. Enjoy these last of summer days.

Marilyn Miller said...

What wonderful paintings!!! I love the one on the Paris street with the bookcase, but all are wonderful.

William Kendall said...

The sunset, painting and photograph, stand out beautifully.

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

You did quite well with your new materials. As I scrolled through your paintings, I thought, "Oh, I love that one best!" until the next one popped, which I seemed to love more, and so on, through to the end. So, I guess your could say I'm a fan of your work!

Popular Posts