Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Commemorating D-Day

We all have the travel memories we will never forget. It may be the first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower, standing at the foot of a pyramid, looking at the vista from a mountaintop. For me, one that will stand forever is visiting Omaha Beach at the American Cemetery in Colville sur Mere, France, ten years ago this month.


As I stood on the beach and looked up the cliff that the Allied forces had to scale -- while being shelled and avoiding mines -- I was in awe. How in the world did they do it? What gave them the courage?


Ultimately, I think it was because those brave men believed in the cause. Did they know that millions of Jews, homosexuals, gypsies and resistance workers were being gassed by the Nazis? Maybe. Or maybe they were worried about any one country controlling such a significant amount of the world. Or perhaps those from England and France were simply defending their own homeland.


What matters is that thousands of brave young men fought and died for their beliefs and to preserve the values of world peace and tolerance, liberty and democracy.


I wonder what they would say now?

Those who remain for this 75th D-Day Anniversary are now largely in their 90s or older. It will be the last of the 25-year celebrations those veterans will attend. What do they remember, these once-young men? The fear? The camaraderie of being with their fellow soldiers? The fact that they were doing something to help their country and others preserve freedom?

It is easy to forget that those on the other side were also fighting for their country. They were conscripted and required to fight -- many didn't realize what was happening in Germany until it was too late to leave. I'm not sure every man fighting for the Nazis even fully knew or believed in what their leaders were doing. They may have been forced to fight or part of the mob-mentality and frenzy that often comes during polarized times. But these men had mothers and fathers, wives and children, just like the Americans and the Brits. Yet they were in the bunkers on Omaha Beach, shooting at others just their age, with wives and children. Shooting at those who were shooting back.


Are there really winners in war?


On this 75th anniversary of D-Day, I find it important not simply to look back but to look at today and tomorrow as well. Our national and world situation is as bad as it has ever been. When you look at the documentaries that tell of the advent of World War II, the footage is not all that dissimilar from what we see on our news each and every day.


People are divided more significantly than at any other moment in my lifetime, and I came of age during the Civil Rights movement. Strides made in this country in the post-war years have taken a huge hit. Xenophobic attitudes and religious intolerance, racism and the "Me first" attitudes have not just returned but increased. We fought for liberty and freedom and yet some seem quick to deny it to others.


We see it in day to day encounters. Bullying is on the rise in schools. People are angry. There is more lashing out. Less civility.


Even good people who do wonderful things may react in ways that do ourselves, our country, our world no good. We all know the people who faithfully attend church or do good works in their community and are first to help a friend in need. But then they will express racist views, privately or publicly, bully a co-worker or neighbor, will say hateful things. "Not in my neighborhood." "Not in our country." "Those people." Every word of intolerance builds a fence, indeed, a wall, that becomes more and more difficult to scale.


War and hatred doesn't begin with countries. It begins with us. Individuals. Our thoughts. Our deeds. The way we raise our children. The words we say -- in person, in print, tweeting or online. It begins with not listening to others, respecting and valuing others' opinions. Walking in our own shoes and forgetting to think about what it is like to walk in someone else's.

We aren't perfect but we have to try.


People die because of this. They die because someone believes their way is not just better but the only "right" way.  That someone may walk into a school and shoot innocent children or take out strangers in a parking lot or at a concert, perhaps feeling angry or slighted or simply because they were told to do so because in doing so, they were defending their rights. And then, people die. That someone may oppose a belief but not see that for others, the choice is different.


Changing attitudes can take time. It isn't easy. Honoring and respecting others who disagree with you can be hard thing to master. Some of us spend a lifetime trying. But trying is all one can do. Doing our best. Day by day. Grains of sand, each a thought. Letting them go so our hand can be open to something more beautiful.


Peace.


So, I ask you on this commemoration of D-Day, to look deep within, as I will do. To seek the "better angels of our nature." To think outside our own boxes, our own families and neighborhoods and look to others. Not just the others we know and understand, but especially those we don't. The poor. The mentally ill. The immigrants. Those whose beliefs are unlike ours but as valuable to them as ours are to us. Those we fought to protect on a grim, wet day seventy-five years ago.


And if you ask, "Why should I?" perhaps this image will remind you. It was a child I saw on Omaha Beach. One small child. One large beach. I don't know her name. I never spoke to her  and I never saw her again. But I will never forget her.


This is who I do it for. And all the others.


Everywhere.

(If you are into learning more about D-Day and the experience of visiting these sites, I recommend this beautiful article from The Atlantic. It's a keeper.)

Sharing with:    Pink Saturday     

39 comments:

William Kendall said...

Very wise.

Sandra said...

A beautiful post, Jeanie, that is unfortunately very significant today.
I hope we get things turned around before its too late.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have nothing to add, Jeanie, except to state that this is a well written, moving piece, for which I cannot commend you enough, and to simply say that I am very proud to call you a friend.

Jeanie said...

Blogger isn't emailing me comments again. Until they do I'll try to keep up with you individually but if you don't hear from me, it's not because I don't care!

Sandi said...

"I'm not sure every man fighting for the Nazis even fully knew or believed in what their leaders were doing."

I am certain this is true today too.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

What a wonderfully thoughtful and thought-provoking photo-essay. You out did yourself on this one, Jeanie.

bobbie said...

An absolutely BEAUTIFUL post, Jeanie ~ you captured the heart of the day.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Perfect tribute Jeanie. War is just not the answer. Hatred is just wrong. You are right, we all know the do good people who are really not all that good on the inside. We need to listen and respect one another.

Joanne Huffman said...

Very thoughtful and thought rovoking.

Iris Flavia said...

I do "hope" many died for their beliefs and not "only" because it was an order, as you added, too.
I´ll never ever understand war.
Ingo´s great-grandfather was in two wars, his life was ruined. He woke up at nights, screaming, he could not eat bread (that´s all they had at times), he had no choice, he HAD to be a soldier, doing these stupid things.
There are no winners in war, just "survivors", many broken.
And then to add this stupid, sick man starting WWII was Austrian, not German.
And, yes, this "me first" becomes even stronger, religious intolerance, racism rises with and from those coming here!!!
Media helps, too! Guns and such are hard to get here but a pupil went against his class "mates" with a knife.
Persons in a train were attacked with an axe, hating people find ways.
I had a Muslim colleague who did Ramadan in summer, at work. I tried to understand (not drinking water in hot temps???) He´s in Germany since 1999, his German is so bad, the customer complained. We got along anyways.

The picture of that girl is very powerful.
The Allies helped Germany to be freed of Nazis. Being half-German sometimes really "sucks"...

To all the men (and these days women, too) who stand up against the bad....

Valerie-Jael said...

Omaha Beach and the history connected with it is impressive. We often visited there with school groups and visited the various cemeteries from the time. It's so important not to forget what happened. Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I also wrote a tribute to D-Day, but mine was not as poignant as yours. I was really moved by your photos and your words. I agree that the world is more divided now than it has been in years past. We seem to be taking two steps back, rather than one foot forward. I have been saying for months how many of the actions in our country remind me of Germany during WWII and beyond. We have to remember that each person has the right to his or her own opinion, which we should respect. But they don't have the right to forcefully force it on others.

BeachGypsy said...

This is a very meaningful post, you did a great job and I hope lots of people read it! Hope your week has gone well my friend, wow, it's almost Friday!

DUTA said...

Well said, beautifully written!!
So far, we humans have miserably failed, so,I don't share your belief in human ability to conquer its flaws.
All we can do now is to wait for God's verdict. Judging by the intense climate anomaly, HE's going to Reset this world. Not sure, humans will rule again. Maybe HE'll create us differently - not race divided, but more homogenous in appearance and character to give fewer reasons for hatred and killing. Who knows, Mystery, as at the time of the first Creation.

My name is Erika. said...

Very nice post, Jeanie. You made some good points. And you also have some beautiful photos from the beach. I can only imagine what it was like there during that day and how it changed so much for so many people. Hugs-Erika

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Wonderful post, Jeanie The photos are lovely. I agree 100% with your words.
Love trumps hate.. Enjoy your day!

Pam said...

Great post. I have seen movies and read about what this landing was like. It is amazing that any of our young men made it back home and to wonder what all they went through once they got home. I just watched on the news Trump giving his speech thanking the vets that were able to make it today. 60 something were remaining that could attend. Bless them and my thanks go out to all our men and women in service.

R's Rue said...

Thank you.

Dawn said...

A wonderful tribute to our veterans. My husband and I were fortunate to visit the D-Day beaches in 2017. It was the hi-lite of our trip.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Beautifully said. I also will never forget my trip to Normandy in February fo 2011. I went during my 30th birthday trip to Paris. On the trip I was by far the youngest on the tour and I remember someone commenting on how they were surprised I was taking the time to visit this area as they didn't think people my age would be interested in WWII. I don't think that is the case at all and we probably have literature to thank for the continued interest in the wars of our past. But you are so right when you say that our world is in a sad state. We've been through dark and difficult times before and have gotten through them and came out stronger. I hope that is the case with our current state of affairs. It's very depressing but I try to have hope that there are better times ahead.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

This is such a beautiful post - it really moved me. I have been increasingly sad in the last few decades due to increasing violence and intolerance. Reminds me of Peter, Paul, and Mary saying "when will they ever learn?"

Tanza Erlambang said...

Historical beach looks pretty....
I love to read your thought about historical moment...

Have a wonderful day

Victoria Zigler said...

Very wise words, and beautifully written too.

It must break the hearts of those who still remember to think it wasn't the end it was meant to be. It breaks mine, and I was born a little over four decades later. Let the hate end now.

Karen said...

Beautiful post Jeannie, thank you

Silver in AZ said...

an exquisite tribute, my friend.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Jeanie, this is such a moving and beautiful post. Your words and photos are memorable. All those young men who went to war with honor in their hearts and some gave their lives for it. As I was watching the TV coverage today of some of it, it is so obvious how easy it is to read off a teleprompter the words that should mean everything to everyone and to shake the hand of a beautiful old man who gave so much to our country must not be forgotten tomorrow. Sad that those motions mean so little to some. We must be bigger and better in these times for all of us and for that little girl on the beach..Job well done, my friend..xxoJudy

Sandra said...

It was a time of heroes.

http://whereinspirationblooms.com said...

Jeanie, a beautiful and so well written post. I agree with your every word. I have read so many thoughts today and like most, I am very concerned about the direction of our country. My hope is that the good will prevail. We need more reminders such as you have given us today. Thank you, my friend.

Sandra at Maison De Jardin said...

Jeanie, whereinspirationblooms was my comment. Sorry, put my name and blog in the wrong place.

Vagabonde said...

Jeanie, that was a very moving post with such eloquent words. Your pictures also are great. We had a summer house in Normandie when I was growing up. You could not not think of the war. I would go up the cliff for walks and always stop by the German blockhaus and look out to sea, thinking about the war. I have not been back in many years since they have made museums and other historical sites around there. What I remember of Normandie is in black and white because these are the photos we would take. I remember walking along roads where beautiful old, Victorian houses, were shells. I need to write posts about this before I forget it all. Your words are so true – war is horrible. Our world has changed, it is sad. I wish everyone would read your beautiful post and ponder on your words.

Pam Richardson said...

Thank you Jeanie, it has been a day to remember! I hope to set my feet on those beaches in Normandy one day. I know it will be a very moving experience!

Joyful said...

It still breaks my heart that many who went to fight from Canada and USA were still teenagers. So very poignant that they fought for all of us. I wish I could hear them now. From time to time we hear an interview of a survivor but they are now very old and so few of them left. I pray we never forget their sacrifices and also remember those families that lost loved ones. In my country I am appalled at how badly our vets have been treated by our government. Just disgusting and it isn't only one political party in government. It is every single one of the parties. Disgraceful.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Echoing the sentiments of those who have commented previously, Jeanie, in saying how moving and beautifully expressed this post was to me. While I did not have any relatives who were involved in D-Day, it’s important to remember thank those who were there that day and you have done that.

Doodle T said...

Beautiful. Thank you.

Annie said...

Powerful remembrance.

krishna said...

very thoughtful!

Lowcarb team member said...

A most beautiful post, Jeanie.
Thank you.

All the best Jan

Marilyn Miller said...

Your post is a sweet commemorative to D-Day. That picture of the little girl is sort of haunting and I can see why you won't forget it.

Katie Mansfield said...

It was a moving place to visit. One that everyone should try to see. I'm so glad we got to visit. Thanks for sharing.

Popular Posts