Thursday, May 30, 2019

Ventfort Hall, Part Two

Last time we took a look at the first floor of Ventfort Hall. While the rooms may be restored, they didn't really look like they would as if people lived in them. That changed on the second floor.


It begins with a walk up that long staircase, which coves three stories. The woodwork was exquisite.


Our tour took us to the second floor. It's been awhile since I was there so I'm not sure these rooms are in the order I saw them, but you get the idea. Since the hall serves as the Museum of the Gilded Age, this is where my idea of the museum really begins.  Of course, that includes furniture, too, and this chair made courting perhaps a little safer -- and a tad more awkward!


Remember, Ventfort Hall was a summer cottage in the town of Lenox, Massachusetts in the Berkshires and during the Gilded Age, Lenox was the center of the social season. There were seventy five Berkshire Cottages built in the area during the period, of which Ventfort Hall was one. Numerous well-known names including Longfellow, Melville and Hawthorne were area residents, along with many of the wealthy from New York and Boston who built their luxurious summer homes in the mountains. And details were luxurious, right down to the silver. I guess I'm a slacker at my cottage. No silver!



Entertaining, of course, was on tap. While we saw the official dining room downstairs, this room is set up as a dining room on the second floor.
A different view.


Perhaps it always served as a less formal dining area for the family.


The table is beautifully set with china and flatware of the period. The table below is located in a corner, perhaps for breakfast or tea.


Luxurious serving pieces are also on display.


In an adjacent room, a vitrine was filled with numerous glass pieces for the table.


Moving on, this rather enormous room I called the Ladies Chamber, simply because I couldn't decide if it was a bedroom, sitting room, bed-sitting.


But what I really loved about it was that it was so bright. Unlike the dark first floor, light seemed to flood the rooms on the second floor including this one.


There were wonderful details. I adored this desk.


A closer look.


There was this wonderful little room that had cupboards and shelves.


The shelves held the ladies' fans.


I suspect the cupboards had once held hats. The wallpaper was beautiful.


The bed linens were beautifully embroidered.


And the bed was set with a breakfast tray. I can imagine someone bringing me morning tea right here!


Across the bed, in a small alcove, a fireplace for chilly mornings. Some of you mentioned in comments on the earlier post that it must have been incredibly expensive to heat Ventfort Hall. I daresay that it is more expensive to do it now than then, since it is open year round. But in the days of the Morgan's having this as their summer cottage, the lack of heat would be negligible. There might be cool mornings when a fire would be welcome but the Massachusetts summer days are warm and daytime heat unlikely -- unless those stone walls retained a little too much cool!


This old scale sits next to the door to the bathroom. The bathroom was under restoration and apart from the original wallpaper, nothing much to see. Here is a photo of what it looked like, back in the day.


The bathroom wallpaper is below. It is quite well duplicated in the wallpaper shown in the above photo with the scale.

                      

 But the next room was a dressing room and staged with some beautiful period gowns.


I have to admit, this felt like a Lady Mary moment, seeing these lovely gowns.


Most were vintage; there were a few reproductions but so well done, who would care?


And you've gotta love the hats!


Moving down the hall we come to the nursery.  I was surprised this room felt darker than the others.


But the toys were delightful.


I'd love to have this dollhouse to play with!


Elizabeth, this one is for you!


I don't remember what this room was -- it had both a sitting area...

...and a day bed.


But what intrigued me most was the amount of butterfly art around the room.


Apparently this was quite a thing back in the period of Ventfort Hall. As much as I love butterflies and what I saw was lovely, I'm not sure it's my thing!


Our tour was coming to an end. But oh, that walk down the stairs was well worth the walk up!

Thanks for joining me on this walk back in time!

Sharing with:   Best of the Weekend     /    Pink Saturday    /    Tuesday Turn About    /     Let's Keep In Touch     /     Share Your Style    

38 comments:

Mae Travels said...

That doll house makes me suspicious... the railings and trim look too uniform and solid, as if made from moulded plastic. I wonder if it's a modern one? Or do you know something about it?

I really enjoyed your pictorial tour of everything. The gowns from that era really appeal to me, though I wouldn't have a clue how to wear them -- or how to wear those hats!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Mae Travels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Misadventures of Widowhood said...

What a wonderful walk back in time. I used to think I'd make a great Victorian woman, even had a house full of Victorian furniture but with my luck I'd probably be a servant in a house like this and be tasked to polish all the silverware.

Butterfly collecting back then was a huge hobby...shocking now but cataloging bugs and butterflies was a new thing back then.

Thanks for sharing......

Natalia said...

What a lovely place ☺

Sandi said...

That ceiling!!!!! Oh, wow....

If you lived here you would totally have to have a maid, or twenty!

bobbie said...

I would want to live only in the upstairs! Enchanting gowns, hats and fans ~

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am impressed that the butterflies were all labeled with their scientific names! I suspect that when you open up your summer cottage this year, Jeanie, you will feel as if you are living in the shed after seeing all this opulence. You will be trying to think of ways to make hot dogs and hamburgers elegant food. And maybe you should leave a tray in a prominent location to alert Rick that you would like tea in bed. Hot buttered crumpets would be good too!

Terra said...

What a wonderful home and tour, I like the details you share like the embroidered bed sheets and the wall paper. The stair way is gorgeous. I like that period.

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love those funky old chair designs that we no longer see these days. A dining room on the second floor? Now that is luxury! Those windows are so gorgeous. The dinnerware is amazing. Now I kind of want plates with a fancy bird on them. That girly room is perfection. I would love to spend a sunny Sunday in there with a book. The old fashions are so lovely. Women understood the importance of comfort then. I have butterflies like these I bought in PR at the Butterfly People back in my 20s. Today I would not buy such a thing thinking about how they had to kill the poor creatures, but I have kept it. Thank you for taking us along on the tour!

Lowcarb team member said...

I really enjoyed seeing all of your photographs here, a wonderful tour from the comfort of my armchair - thank you.

All the best Jan

PS Yes, Elizabeth will definitely appreciate the rocking horse :)

Valerie-Jael said...

It all looks fabulous - how the other half lived! But the wood panelling is a bit dark for me. And just think of all that dusting there....Hugs, Valerie

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jeanie

What a wonderful tour. The dining table and glass ware are lovely. What a collection. I love the pretty butterflies and I do love that staircase. Thanks for sharing the visit and tour. Wishing you a happy day and weekend ahead!

Anca said...

The rooms are beautiful. I like the wallpaper so much. The doll house is gorgeous as well. I like these doll houses a lot. The fans are beautiful.

I love butterflies. I have a lot of butterfly jewellery, but those are not real. Like you, I wouldn't like to have something like that in my home. But in those days, that was the only option and it was before modern values like cruelty-free art.

William Kendall said...

The rooms are quite beautiful!

My name is Erika. said...

Wow. These upstairs room are so much lighter and brighter than the downstairs. I guess being a summer house these rooms weren't as pretentious as maybe their NYC homes, but wow, they are still something else. It is great to see the clothes too. They have me thinking of Downton Abbey. I think you found a great place to visit and as I said before, I am going to visit Lenox. Hugs-Erika

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

What a treat to go upstairs with you, Jeanie. I can see Lady Mary in the gowns that were featured. Possibly the same era. The woodwork in this mansion is lovely. Thank you for showing how the other half lived.

krishna said...

It is just like journey on time machine. Last year during our road trip we passed the Lenox, but as it was a very compact tour, I missed all these. :(

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

That butterfly collection is wonderful. That large one is so pretty!

DUTA said...

What a richness of color, design, and materials! It's a feast to the eyes.
However, when I think of my life, as I advance in age I prefer simplicity in everything, especially in materials. I need ligh, simple and easy to care for items.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You KNOW I'm going to comment on the rocking horse first. It is both unique and well preserved. I was in awe and grateful that you thought of me when you took the photo.

The upper floors were lighter and brighter, but I've noticed that in most houses of that era. The beautiful usually quite dark wood paneling was often replaced with white paint for the doors and molding on the upper floors. There were possibly more windows, too, but I suspect it was the heavy drapes and dark paneling that made it so dark on the main floor.

The butterflies were real, and I suspect collected on the property over time. After all, they didn't have TV or a computer to occupy their time.

Lovely photos and great period rooms.

Sandra at Maison De Jardin said...

Jeanie, your photos are great and what a grand tour you have given us. I am sure I could spend hours upon hours just enjoying all the beauty. The magnificent staircase is my very favorite. The home is truly a treasure. It is wonderful that it is now a museum and will be cared for and not allowed to fall into disrepair. Thanks so much for sharing.

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, thank you for taking me along on this tour. They lived so extravagantly in their summer cottages during the Gilded Age, and it is interesting to be able to see their period dress and all the fineries they enjoyed. Have a wonderful weekend!

shoreacres said...

It probably doesn't surprise you to know the "butterfly room" was my favorite -- not only because of the wonderful collection there, but also because of its light and colors. It feels simpler than the other rooms, and more open. Very nice.

In the case of glassware, look on the right side, at the pink and green stemware with the porpoises (?) around the stem. I have some of that pink and green elegant glassware, and love it. It's neat to see some in such an elegant setting!

Sami said...

My favourites were the dinnerware and that vitrine with the coloured glasses, wow!
The embroidered linen, the period dresses, so pretty :)
Thanks for this trip Jeanie.

Karen said...

I love seeing these old places restored to their former glory. We have a B&B/tea room/museum in our community from the same era or a bit earlier. It was built by a lumber baron for his daughter and her husband. Friends of ours have bought the mansion next to it and have been busy doing it up. They have invited us for drinks reception tomorrow to show it off. I'm so excited.

The French Hutch said...

One of my favorite things to do is tour homes from the past, especially when filled with authentic furniture, china and clothing. This house is amazing, I am enthralled with the staircase, it is exquisite. I really enjoyed seeing the dining room with the table set with beautiful serving pieces and china. I missed part one so I'm backtracking. Thanks Jeanie for this tour..........

Pam said...

My first thoughts are that I love the work on the rails of the stairs...BUT yet totally glad I do not have to keep that stuff dusted! As for those rooms, I would never leave the bedroom if mine was the big! NICE....the dresses, yes, I could see me living in that time and wearing those, however as stubborn and rebellish as I am I would be in trouble all the time for hiking those dresses up and tying them up! I hate being hot. haha...Hoping hubs is healing and doing well, as are you.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Lots of wows here! Lovely bedrooms, clothing, toys, and accessories! Loved the vitrine full of glassware- lots to choose from!

Marilyn Miller said...

Oh sigh! I thought the stairway would be my favorite thing to see in your pictures, but then those table settings, tea in bed, the fireplace tucked in a little alcove (oh so cozy), the room with the day bed, the dollhouse, and the view going down the stairs. I was all so beautiful. Yes, it almost seemed like a place Lady Mary could be cozy and comfortable with a beautiful dress or two.

Iris Flavia said...

Those chairs are awkward indeed. If bend a little to each other it could be for people who like but not love each other, being in deep conversation. But like this?!

Oh, all the china! A dangerous place for braking-it-all-by-accident-me!

That desk is very personal.
A morning tea. Yes. Years ago hubby did this for me. Years gone by...

The fireplace is funny and dangerous at the same time! A fire and a carpet?? But one from each side to take care of it ;-) Just wait for the moment! (My parents had a fireplace, so I know...)

What is a "day bed"?

The stairs sure are a beautiful handiwork.





roughterrain crane said...

The fans are very excellent. Happy Sunday to you.

Olka said...

Oh God, what an amazing pottery!!
I would love to have a meal served on the plate like this! Is that bird hand-painted?
It looks like hand-painted :)

Pamela said...

It looks like a remarkably interesting place! How wonderful it must have been to be entertained by the hosts of this summer home.

Jennifer Richardson said...

That age really was, well, gilded.
I love the letter-writing; that would have moved me.
I'm with you on the butterfly-pinning. They are a thing of beauty for sure but to catch and kill one for a collection:/ I don't think I could.

Thanks for the view from this whimsical window:)
-Jennifer

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I like the upper level much better than the first level since it's brighter and feels 'airier'. The dark feeling of the 1st floor just doesn't strike me as a 'summer home'! The butterfly pinning is odd. Reminds me of when we had to do a bug collection when I was in junior high. I HATED that assignment. Yuck.

Crissy said...

What fun to take this tour of Ventfort Hall with you! Aren't those "summer homes" just incredible? I've visited many throughout New England when I used to live there. Always a treat! Thanks for sharing at Tuesday Turn About! -Crissy @ First Day of Home

Julie @ My Wee Abode said...

Lovely tour! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Tuesday Turn About!

Katie Mansfield said...

Fabulous. Great pictures.

Popular Posts