Thursday, November 15, 2018

Paris: Luxembourg Gardens and Rue Mouffetard

So, it rained a little. It also just drizzled. I can work with that!


After leaving the Mucha exhibit we were just around the corner from one of my favorite Paris gardens, Les Jardins du Luxembourg.


It's on the impressive grounds of the Palace and I've never been inside. But why? It's lovely outside!


And so, too, were the gardens, still bringing out their glorious summer colors on a gloomy autumn day.


I can't tell you how cheery this bed of marigolds looked on a day when the sky was so gray!


It was clearly autumn, but nice to see the colors of summer mixed in with those glorious golden tones!


The gardens are impeccably landscaped, and different levels add to the visual interest of the gardens.


There are numerous sculptures on the grounds, as well as a bandstand and play area. (This one honored the artist Delacroix).


 But our walk took us through the gardens and to the pond.


I love the pond. Seagulls are flying...


....and families are together, even on this damp day, sailing little boats.


The boat vendor wasn't doing land-office business, but I loved his little stand.


And I had to admit, they looked pretty darned cute on the water!


The palace itself was built in the 1600s as the royal residence of Marie de'Medici (King Louis XIII's mother). Well, we all know what happened a century later -- such palaces were not particularly enjoyed after the Revolution. Consequently, it became a legislative building and is the seat of the French Senate.


Perhaps my favorite part of this beautiful area is the Medici Fountain, also built by Marie de Medici. It is said that the fountain and grotto was designed by Tommaso Francii, who oversaw the waters and fountains of the king. It is built in the Italian style.


Ironically, when built, there was a great lack of water on Paris' Left Bank, a problem not solved until the aqueduct of Arcueil was built. Over time it fell into disrepair and was restored by Jean Chalgrin (architect of the Arc de Triomphe) at Napoleon's request in 1911. It was at this time that "Venus in Her Bath," a statue of white marble, was added.


The fountain was moved in the 1860s as part of Baron Haussmann's plans to add wide roads. The move changed the fountain's setting and appearance and the additional statues were added, along with comedy and tragedy masks. He replaced the statue of Venus with a group by Auguste Ottin.


These included a bronze representing the cyclops Polyphemus, son of Poseidon, discovering the lovers Acis and Galatea.


Unfortunately, Polyphemus was in love with Galatea, which did not bode well for Acis, who was killed by his rival.


Such a romantic story requires a romantic moment! We chose the Acis/Galatea moment (as opposed to the Polyphemus/Acis confrontation.)


Can you see why it's a favorite garden and fountain? Even in the rain it is simply breathtaking.


I especially love how they created these ivy swags lining the pathway to the head of the fountain.


We left the garden and headed to Rue Mouffetard, an area where there is street dancing on Sundays. But we were too late -- or it was too rainy. So, we walked up the long street...


...stopping for a snack...


...and some window shopping.


Isn't this fruit pretty?


Rick ogled a bicycle...


...and I ogled a cat in the window who reminded me of sweet Lizzie.


Our walk was at an end. But we had dinner coming and a special friend to meet up with before the evening was over!

41 comments:

Joyful said...

It's a spectacular garden and I'm glad you and Rick were able to enjoy it to the full. The cat really looks like Lizzie.

Sandra Cox said...

How wondrous. I would love to see those gardens. Glad you both enjoyed them.
The chocolate and cat were the icing on the cake weren't they?

DUTA said...

Fountains, I can never get enough of them.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is good to see that children are still sailing toy boats on the ponds there. They have been doing that since I was first in Paris over fifty years ago. Perhaps some things never change. Vive Les Jardins de Luxembourg.

Blondie's Journal said...

You are such a great writer--maybe your next job should be with a travel magazine!! :). I so enjoy your pictures, and this is a great post--the gardens, fountains...I think these would be tops on my list if I ever got here.

Thanks so much for sharing, Jeanie!

Jane

Pamela said...

Beautiful photos. Thanks also for the history lesson to go with them!

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like another very memorable day in Paris. The gardens there are really spectacular, that's for sure. And those autumn cookies, yummy! Thanks for sharing, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I thank you big for another wonderful start into the day.
The little boat, the seagulls, you two kissing and the wonderful flowers, gardens AND architecture... and cat!
My neighbours... they must think I am crazy with all the awwwws.. ;-)

Sami said...

So nice to see kids enjoying themselves with the boats. The garden is very pretty and it was still so colourful :)
The ivy swags, the statues, the chocolates... are all fantastic!

Tracy said...

How wonderful to see Paris in autumn... and all the color!! Such a magnificent garden! LOVE you & Rick's Acis/Galatea moment! Hard not to stop and kiss while in Paris... *swoon* ... The chocolate mushrooms are fabulous... And I just love how they display food--like it's Crown Jewels! Fun to see a Miss Lizzie look-a-like while on holiday... :) ((HUGS))

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a lovely garden. The fountains and statues are beautiful. I like the cute sailboats. Wonderful shots of you and Rick. Great photos from your trip! Happy Friday, enjoy your day and weekend!

Joanne Huffman said...

You certainly didn't let a little Paris rain stop you (yes, this is a political reference).
as always, great narrative and beautiful photos.

La Table De Nana said...

The gardens were gorgeous..as were The Tuileries..All the pomp and circumstance great gardens have.World renowned.
I was smitten w/ the children and the boats ♥
Rue Mouffetard had been so built up to me..that ..well,I arrived and left disappointed..I prefer the wider streets such as rue Cler.
Granted we were there in the morning so hardly any light was coming in.
The mood of Cler seemed happier..more joyous..
Probably just my impression.

La Table De Nana said...

PS..AWWWWW..you and Rick:):)

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

It looked like you had the gardens almost to yourselves. What a beautiful place!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I guess that's a French kiss, huh?

Pam said...

Oh how beautiful. I probably will never get there so I am so excited touring around with you here in blogland! Thanks for sharing.

William Kendall said...

The gardens and the palace are a delightful sight- beautiful!

The kitties are welcome to see.

Louca por porcelana said...

I am enchanted with those gorgeous landscapes!Thank you for this stunning virtual tour!

Thelma said...

Thanks for the tour. I've never been to Paris. These gardens are lovely. The little sailboats are so cute.

Marilyn Miller said...

Those gardens and the fountain and pond are always on my list. How I love it there. When we visit we often time our visit around lunch and take a left over baguette from breakfast, then add some cheese and fruit and we have a picnic. Did you find the beehives in the trees not far from the pond? There is quite a bit of history on them also.

Bonnie said...

Love love Luxembourg Gardens! The fountains with children sailing the little boats are so much fun to view. I also have a special fondness for the Medici Fountain and have a framed picture I made of Acis and Galatea in my home. You were there in a different month so the flowers are different from my pics. We have special memories there from several trips. This is one link:https://www.livingwiththanksgiving.com/2015/08/notre-belle-ville-de-paris-part-1.html

Will look up the other one.
Thanks for good commentary. I have enjoyed all your Paris posts.

Bonnie said...

Jeanie, I get more than a little excited when I see Paris posts. Oh, I love Paris. Your pictures bring back many great memories. I never tire of seeing and hearing about Paris.

I found my other Paris post from 2011. View here: https://www.livingwiththanksgiving.com/2011/04/spring-day-in-paris.html

Your posts make me realize how many more Paris pics I have that I never posted.

My name is Erika. said...

The garden is so much prettier than it was in february. But when we went there it was relatively warm for that time of year and we could stroll and people watch. There were a lot of people sitting on the chairs. But seeing the greens and the start of fall is really beautiful to see. Happy weekend. hugs-Erika

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Jeanie dear....it's been SO LONG since I've been here to see you! Every morning is a race to get to school, I can hardly keep up with the beloved world of blog. And, your captures of Paris make me long to go back to my adopted country and culture. Paris is gorgeous no matter if there's sunshine or clouds. MAGNIFIQUE!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

It's all so lovely - beautiful photography and descriptions. Have a blessed day!

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, Paris is always beautiful even in the mist or rain, and what lovely photos that you captured. Gardens and sculptures make me swoon. I love taking my time and walking the streets of Paris and filling my senses with all there is. I am so enjoying your Paris posts, perfect with my coffee this morning, and it is a French roast! Happy Saturday!

Rita C at Panoply said...

Glorious gardens, fantastic shot of the seagull, a sweet romance, and lovely swags. I already miss my garden, snoozing soundly now.

Laura said...

Jeanie- My husband and I need to travel more!
I am such a homebody:)
Your photos and descriptions are wonderful and inspiring!

Lynne said...

Beautiful Jeanie . . .
Even in the rain.
Loved the pond and the little boats.
Sea Gulls
Marigolds mixed in a field of red . . .
And the woven garland of ivy alone would have charmed my heart . . ,
The marble lovers sculpture is so beautiful . . .
And the day . . . sealed with a kiss . .
Romance in the rain . . .

Victoria Zigler said...

Sounds lovely, despite the drizzly day.

Linda Sue said...

Such a beautiful adventure you have shared, I feel like I have actually gone someplace other than the kitchen today! Thank you!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh my, look at these gardens, so lovely. The marigolds look just like Autumn in their yellow and orange colors. Jeanie, I love that picture of the seagull flying. Birds are hard to capture while in the air, and this is very nice. And a special and cherished picture of you two kissing to remember this day by. : )

~Sheri

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love your commentary! It is like being on a guided tour....so much rich history and information. Lovely pictures, just like we are there.

Kirsten Steen said...

Oh my... such colorful shots and so many magnificent photos! Absolutely gorgeous! So much to do and see of such beauty. And you captured it so well!

The French Hutch said...

Jeanie, slowly. but surly I am catching up on my reading. So happy I didn't miss this, on how beautiful!!! This was a glorious time for your visit. We've been there during this time of year and I love the feel with a little damp cold in the air. Makes even the big "City of Light" a little cozy. A perfect place for a little romance:)

Diane said...

Wonderful pictures and post, it is like being there in person.

Hugs Diane

Doodle T said...

Breathtaking sculptures...wow!

Arti said...

The gardens are so colourful still! I'm really surprised! But of course, I'm comparing with what we're having now, which is white and grey. Glad you and Rick had a wonderful time. I remember blogger Peter. Sure meaningful to connect with blogging friends in a foreign land. BTW, I missed the Today Show a few mornings ago. They were (not sure how many of them) at the Downton movie set! So the movie is in production and scheduled to be released Sept. 20, 2019, according to IMDb. Just wonder how they can be so sure of the exact day. :)

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Oh, Paris......how romantic. Thank you for sharing the enchantment! xx Karen

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Beautiful photos! I went to Luxembourg Gardens on my last trip but it was late November so nothing was in bloom. It was still pretty but not quite the same as seeing it with flowers in bloom! I'm glad the rain was light so you could still enjoy the garden!

Popular Posts