Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tour de France Junkie

My name is Jeanie. I am a Tour de France addict.

While my own personal bike racer is wild to "compete in his mind" (he'd probably deny that, but really, what biker wouldn't?), I am content to watch my favorite riders take on mountains or pedal at amazing speeds to win a sprint.

I'm an Andy Schleck fan. I think he was robbed last year. But Caudel Evans is another favorite. Bike life. I marvel at the crashes this year...

The speed at which the bikes are repaired and back on the road.

I love the crowds, and watch eagerly to find places I know when they are touring through Paris or Normandy. And I long to visit all the other places the riders experience at such quick speeds, enjoying each shop, street or cafe at a more leisurely pace.

I am aghast at how these riders slog up the hills -- no, mountains -- at speeds I couldn't do no matter how hard I tried.

And then when they descend, what a feeling of exhilaration and freedom. I can feel it just watching -- and that's just fine with me!

Meanwhile, from 8-11 p.m. each night, you'll find me being a Tour groupie, enjoying the commentary of Bob Roll, Phil Leggett and Paul Sherwin. Routing for my favorites. Feeling bad for those who have crashed out.

And I'll be enjoying most of those nights with my favorite Faux-Tour rider! He'll explain things, I'll learn and we'll thoroughly enjoy!

If you are interested in the real Tour de France, visit HERE and if you want to visit the Paris in July postings, you can find a list on the right column of Thyme for Tea or Bookbath.

8 comments:

anno said...

Is Rick riding even in this heat? For now, even just watching people ride is almost too much for me! Hope your A/C is holding up!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That is awesome that you are so into the Tour de France! I never would have guessed that, actually! So fun. It makes me think I should tune in. Esp if I can get my France fix by seeing the beautiful sights! :)

Jennifer Richardson said...

the speeding downhill
with the wind whipping
at your face
.....I can dig that part.
The uphill climb...not so much:)
-Jen

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

I agree, Maggie, that either the Tour de France or a faux-tour is great to watch! And like you, I'd love to visit the countryside they speed through!

Barb said...

We're groupies here in CO, too!

Joanne Huffman said...

Love the photos of Rick biking.

Marilyn Miller said...

I could easily be a Tour de France addict too. That just made me smile. One year while I was working at Nike I stepped into one of their pubs and the whole wall was alive with the Tour de France. I stood mesmerized.

Tamara said...

Awesome stuff.... I learnt so much more this year being able to follow it for real - along the side of those mountains - even riding some of them myself..... I must say those descents are VERY scary! Love the post.... See you at Le Tour next year!!

Popular Posts