Sunday, September 27, 2026

Homefront: Friends from Afar

When I came back from the lake earlier this month, it was to head to some appointments and enjoy some time at home (if you call looking at the house that needs to be downsized and putting away much of a summer's worth of stuff enjoying!) 

 

But it was also a treat to spend some time with far-away friends. Rick (below) and Zara live in California, but have family roots and friends in town. Fortunately, we were able to connect for a lovely lunch.

 

Then my friend Jerry, who lives in Paris and is visiting family in Detroit, came up for the day. After kicking around for a bit, we headed to Rick's where he served up a great BBQ chicken dinner. 

 

Needless to say, it's always good to see Jerry, who is one of my oldest friends, since sophomore year in college when our theatre company toured Michigan's Upper Peninsula during our spring break. We've stayed friends ever since and there are always many happy times and memories to share.

 

I finally got to the tomatoes I brought home from the lake and made some pasta sauce to freeze (and some I used that  night on a chicken marinara, which I do not recommend). Unfortunately, due to scheduling, I didn't get on it right away and lost a good many tomatoes, but still ended up with two generous frozen packets of sauce and the chicken recipe, so no complaints.

 

On the not-so-good side, I had some oral surgery, with an extraction that was a little more complicated than expected and involved a bone graft. The next step is a bridge, which I'm not looking forward to. I swear, they used every one of those instruments and more on me! And laughing gas does NOT make you laugh!

 

After, I asked to see the tooth. I thought about showing you the photos -- it was the root, crown and the visible decay. (Let it be said here that I take very good care of my teeth, but apparently, not good enough!) I rethought that! Even with the gas and novocaine, it was worse than the installation of my pacemaker (when I woke up too early). It's also left me with quite a bruise on my chin and jaw. They tell me the initial pain/discomfort will ease in another week or so, but full healing with the bone graft is several months. I'm already sick of yogurt and mashed potatoes!

 

Adding insult to injury, the night I got home, both toilets in the house overflowed. After clean-up, I headed down to Rick's for the night! He knew a good plumber who came the next day.

 

Let me say how grateful I am to Rocky and his magical snake that unplugged something somewhere and got things flowing again!

 

I don't really go full-fall till October, but I did get a few early fall things out -- some autumn wreaths, non-Halloweenie pumpkins, the chickens, that sort of thing. 

 

It feels good to get some of that going. 

 

And, I booked tickets for an October trip to Stratford to see "Something Rotten" (again) and "The Importance of Being Earnest." 

 

I'll soon have a photo of Rick's room re-do. I'm waiting for the drapes to arrive! 

46 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

That surgery subs awful and two simultaneous overflows on top of it is just too much. Glad you had overnight accommodations and a quick fix.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Oh, I hear you on the teeth, I have issues as well, in spite of more frequent than normal cleanings and dental care. Those tomatoes look delicious!!

Boud said...

Yet another health issue! They never seem to give you a break. But you keep going cheerfully anyway, go you!

Modrina Neba said...

Jeannie, OOO Sad :((
May the sun shine for him wherever he goes and for all of us... Sending you my big hug, Andreja!

Mae Travels said...

Tooth-work is the worst! I count my blessings on the dental front. And I hope your recovery goes better than expected. Last night I made mango mousse which might be a good recipe for your list (3 ingredients: canned mango puree, cottage cheese, and sugar — plus an immersion blender, and if you don’t have an immersion blender I hope you get one soon).
best… mae

Christine said...

ooh on dental surgery. Good to see friends and glad the toilet was fixed

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
It is nice you were able to meet up with your friends while they were visiting. The tomatoes look yummy and the sauce sounds delicious. I wish you a quick recovery from the dental surgery.
Your decorations are cute. Happy Sunday, have a wonderful week!

Rita said...

So sorry about the dental surgery! I've had more issues than ever since the cancer treatment. Can totally relate. Hope you recover quickly.
So nice to have company visiting. Old friends are life's treasures, for sure.
Glad the crazy toilet issues were solved quickly! Hope all goes smoothly now for a good long while--lol! Take it easy!

Red Rose Alley said...

Jeanie, I'm sorry to hear about your bruised chin. That looks like it hurts. So nice that you got to see old friends. And those tomatoes you used for pasta sauce look really good. You know how much I love to see the seasons around your house, and fall is no exception. I love that fall wreath on the mantel; it's simple and pretty. And I always appreciate your copper tea pots. That turkey is very unique too. Have not seen that one before. I hope you heal and feel better, Jeanie. And I wish you a splendid October coming up. I can't believe it's already October!

Marisa Alonso Santamaría said...

Hola, Jeanie.
Mejor disfrutar de los amigos y vivir esos momentos a tope.
Espero que pases un buen día y nos enseñes esa remodelación.
No me salen las listas de lectura y os tengo que buscar uno a uno por otros comentarios.
Un abrazo.

Neuer Gartentraum said...

Das mit dem Zahn kann ich gut mitfühlen. Mir wurde ein quer gewachsener Weisheitszahn aus dem Kiefer operiert. Aber irgendwann werden auch die schlimmsten Schmerzen vergehen.
Schön, dass du noch eine große Schüssel Tomaten retten konntest. Eigene Pastasoße schmeckt am Besten.

anno said...

Ouch! Between the toilets overflowing and the medieval-looking dental work, you've had a rough re-entry! That bone graft looks painful (and likely to be tender for awhilel) -- here's hoping it heals quickly! In the meantime, mashed sweet potatoes, mini souffles, creamed spinach, and hummus may be possibilities. Soup?

I'm amazed you've felt like doing much of anything, but it's nice to see some of your fall decor. Cheering, right? And nice to see old friends, too, I bet. So glad you have some theatrical events on the horizon -- something to look forward to.

Hugs, anno
R

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Beautiful photos of you, Rick and Jerry, dear Jeanie!
And I love the decor!
Ugh....dental surgery. :( It's great the plumbing was taken care of.

Lowcarb team member said...

No-one likes to visit the dentist ... may you heal well and quickly.

On a positive note it was great to spend time with friends and lovely to have made a good start on the Autumn decor.

Sending lots of good wishes to you.

All the best Jan

roentare said...

Wonderful reunions and memories with old friends, homemade tomato sauce and good food, balanced by the decidedly less enjoyable adventure of oral surgery and its long recovery.

Joy said...

Sending you good healing vibes! I had a tooth extraction a couple of years ago but it wasn't that involved, so I don't have advice to give. Except that I made the mistake of getting into shakes and frozen custard to the point that my doctor said "pre-diabetes" at the next appointment. So, I think you're making better choices!

Miss Merry said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the oral surgery. OUCH. I had swelling like that from a reaction to a filling once. I would partially freeze a pop can and hold that under my chin against my neck. Again, ouch.
And the toilet situation - now that was too much. Shame on the universe for that one.

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh Jeanie that was the day from hell, I am so sorry. But it is good you had such nice meetings with old friends, and have more fun to look forward to very soon.

Nancy said...

Oh my! I hope your chin and mouth are feeling better each day. I am so sorry you had to go through that. I am not fond of going to the dentist. Then the toilets- no! Ugh!
Glad you had friends stop by! How wonderful to see good friends. That's truly a blessing.
Happy end of September!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Oh, the results from that tooth extraction look painful. I hope you are better now. I'm glad you got to spend time with old friends!

R's Rue said...

Sending hugs your way.
rkrsrue.blogspot.com

shoreacres said...

All it took was seeing that table full of dental tools to make me quiver! I despise having to visit those offices, and have since I was a kid. I will say this: your experience with the toilets made me happy I only had to deal with freshwater flooding in my apartment! If anyone looks at your bruise quizzically, tell them you were in a bar fight.

Sally Wessely said...

Oh my goodness. You truly took it on the chin. Take care. I’m glad you had some bright spots along the way.

Iris Flavia said...

Yay to friends but, owwwww on the surgery!!! Reckon my app at the dentist tomorrow will be nothing compared to this!
Yes, Autumn is on the way, alas, what can we do... (wear warm clothes!).

My name is Erika. said...

If it's not one thing its something else, isn't that the way it always works? Sorry about the tooth issue. That bruise looks painful. And hurrah for the plumber. We had a couple of those water issues, and they are NOT fun. Even a little. Hopefully the bad stuff is over except for finishing your tooth, and there is more fun and more visitors too. Happy new week Jeanie. hugs-Erika

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I had that once where both toilets were plugged. They had to go half way down the driveway with a camera to find the plugged area. Very stressful situation, isn't it.

Hope you graft and tooth issue feels better sooner rather than later.

Gill - That British Woman said...

always good to catch up with old friends. Anything to do with the dentist, gives me the shivers now!!

Kari Rogers Miller said...

Ouch! Dental visits are no fun...it seems that everytime I go, they find another "issue"...and like you I feel I take very good care of my teeth. Glad to hear you were able to use some of your beautiful tomatoes...I used to can them as one always needs tomatoes for almost any dish. I also canned ketch-up and chili sauce but those days are long gone. Have you ever made tomato soup with chunks of tomato? Not for every one as most like it smooth, but my grandma loved it with a jar of her canned tomatoes and a little milk...
Sorry to hear of your toilet problems upon your return. My under sink cabinet door fell off in my hand this morning...🥴 the Captain said he knew it had been loose but thought it was just the hinge but it was actually the screws in the cabinet. (Of course we open it constantly as it houses one of the trash cans. Happy Autumn...temp down to 69 here this morning.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

So glad you got to visit with friends. Sorry to hear about the tooth surgery. Ouch! It sounds painful. What a mess to have your toilets backed up. A handy plumber is so nice to fix it all. Hopefully things will calm down with no more issues.

This N That said...

DOn't mention the dentist..Been through it all...All my molars had root canals and crowns..Then 2 years ago they all got too old 20-25 years and all my molars (except three) got pulled..It's a wonderful life (they say)!
Nice that you can stay at Ricks for a back up.
Always fun to meet up with old friends.

Anonymous said...

Yikes - I am sure you are very glad to be over the oral surgery!! I am not a fan of oral surgery but needs must sometimes. I am still recovering from my foot surgery Aug 13th on top of foot; still swells and was told last week it will continue to do so for a month or two longer, same with the numbness around parts of foot (luckily I only have that a little bit and doctor said many patients have full foot numbness). Anyhoooo I know you were glad to get commodes fixed FAST too. It's always something, right?! All the best, Dawn P. Albany, GA

Shari Burke said...

Rick must know every home repair person in the area! Thank goodness for the guy with the magic snake :-) I do hope you heal quickly and that the pain and discomfort aren't too bad. It's great that you got to spend time with old friends.

jeanie said...

Oh lord, the double toilet catastrophe is what we returned to after our trip to the US this time last year - NOT RECOMMENDED! It was one of the deciding factors in the "is it time to leave this particular paradise" conundrum.
I do feel for you with the tooth stuff. I have been a dental experiment since my childhood, and every "ist" of the mouth variety has had a crack.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Oh No--tooth pain and problems are the worst! You have my full sympathy. I had one implant done after a molar removal about 20 years ago and so so far no problems, so maybe you can eventually go that route? WE had a bad hail storm and now have to get a new roof and paint our house, so repairs are always another hassle. Best to concentrate on the good things in life, like you fun time with long time friends!

Granny Sue said...

Oh Jeanie, that surgery sounds terrible. So sorry for you! I guess your diet is going to be pretty boring for a while. No fun at all.

Lorrie said...

Dental surgery is truly dreadful. I'm sorry you've had to experience that trauma. And then to have plumbing problems! No fun at all.
Glad you could visit with old friends!

Diana said...

'Laughing gas does NOT make you laugh', I'll remember that one! What a rough week, but I love that you already have Stratford to look forward to. The Importance of Being Earnest sounds like just the medicine after all that.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Coming home for nasty tooth things and blocked toilets doesn't sound good, bet you wish you could have stayed at the lake. Enjoy the rest of Autumn now everything is sorted

nicole orriens said...

Yikes, that dental surgery sounds quite unpleasant. I love your tomatoes though. They look very tasty. I made tomato soup yesterday, from scratch but those tomatoes came from the supermarket.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What an ordeal with your teeth. Hope you heal quickly. Nice that you got to see far away friends and had some fun time too.

roughterrain crane said...

A conversation with old friends is priceless.

Alexandra said...

Sending well wishes that you heal quickly after that dental surgery! I enjoyed seeing the decorations you displayed so far to celebrate the season.

DVArtist said...

I have forgotten everything on your post before your extraction. Ohhh they really worked on you. You are right laughing gas dose not make you laugh. I hope you are OK and that your mouth is healing well. Thank goodness for the plumbers. Take care of yourself.

custom embroidery digitizing services in usa said...

Thanks for such quality content.

Gill said...

At least you could decamp to Rick's when the toilet problems started. I have a hygenist appointment this week which I'm not looking forward too, although I do look after my teeth. The worst I ever had was having my wisdom teeth out, bruised from my eyes down to my chest. Apparently they drill them out. Shudder! Xx

MELODY JACOB said...

Having both toilets overflow right on top of recovering from that awful dental surgery is pure torture. Bone grafts are no joke, and living on mashed potatoes gets so exhausting after just a couple of days. I hope your jaw heals up quickly so you can genuinely enjoy those Stratford theater trips next month.

Popular Posts