I had to head home for some appointments, and perhaps the timing couldn't have been better, given the wildfire smoke at the lake. They even cancelled parts of Gaylord's annual Alpenfest. Not that the smoke was better at home, it was just a better place to be at the time.
I always leave the house pretty neat when I travel. Not necessarily cleaned, but things put away. This time when I walked in the door, the first thing I saw were books scattered on the floor that had been on a table when I left -- and the back door curtain valance and indoor wreath were on the floor. I didn't leave it that way.Then, into the living room where my desk is. And this is what I saw.
On top of that, mugs have come down from the plate rack, plants were tipped over, garland over the windows was askew, some pictures overturned, one frame broken. Whatever it was hit every room in the house.
My first question was "did we have an earthquake?" (We don't live in an earthquake zone but these days the weather and world is so crazy, who knows?) Nope. When I opened the back door I noticed this. The critter protection cage had blown off in the wind during one of the storms that happened while I was gone.
My guess is that it was a raccoon, judging by the larger footprints in Lizzie's box. Fortunately, apart from the mess, it did nothing else. Naturally I made a temporary boarding up of the fireplace with poster board anchored by wine racks. I replaced the cage and Rick got it up! Hooray!
I returned home to a collection of dead potted plants. I'm not sure what happened to my neighbor who was supposed to water. Maybe the heat and smoke was too bad for her. I've been bringing what's left back to life and suspect those plants may take a ride to the lake this week. Meanwhile, we went to dinner and when we left the sky looked like this (that's the sun). And this was a day it was beginning to clear up.
We spent a lot of time inside (although the air-con car was a blessing!) but did go out to eat a couple of times, once with friends. Rick's will be leaving on his birthday (Wednesday this week) for a two-week trip that includes a trade show, so we'd been going back and forth on when and how to celebrate. On Sunday morning he said, "Let's do it tonight!" It made sense, given that his big bike ride is Monday and Tuesday he would be packing.
I was not prepared. He'd not been forthcoming about a gift and because I had little food in the house to make a nice dinner, something had to be done!
Needless to say, when something needs to be done, I get it done! Off to get steaks at the store with the better butcher (which was closed). Those found elsewhere, I bought deli salads to go with the steak, olives, almonds and breadsticks for apps, and cake and ice cream. After that, a stop at the book store to find a temporary present! A few hours later, I loaded up my tote bags and headed to his place (because he has the grill!)
It all worked out beautifully, if not the way I'd originally hoped. Life's like that sometimes, isn't it? Fact is, we had a lovely dinner with a good bottle of wine.
He liked his gifts -- a cycling book, a Sudoku book and a very nice bottle of wine I bought for him a few months ago! That got saved for later! I found his birthday card a few months ago. You can see why I snatched that one up!
After, we sat outside and talked till dark. It was a lovely evening and a great way for Rick to begin his new year.
Q and A Time!
I've had a few questions in comments lately that are from no-reply bloggers, whose email I don't have for reply so here are the answers!
Kari and Jeanie both wanted to know how far I live from the lake. It's about two and a half hours to three, depending on construction and rest stops. Not a bad trip.
Unknown asked if water lilies last in a vases as long as a pond. Unfortunately, no, not nearly so well as in the lake water, but while they do, they're lovely.
And Nicole asked why I had used Magic Eraser on my face. You may remember that when I had my sinus surgery, they wrote on my cheeks and forehead with Sharpie rather creatively. Nothing was taking it off but I knew that Magic Eraser worked on Sharpie (and just about everything else) so I gave it a try. Unfortunately, that was a bad idea but Aquaphor took care of it in a few days.
Don't do it.


33 comments:
Jeanie, how upsetting to walk into your home and see all of that. So the culprit was a raccoon… I am so very sorry! Looks like you and Rick had a lovely celebration for his upcoming birthday. Take care of yourself.
Oh no! What a mess to arrive home to! When I first saw the pictures, I worried you'd been burglarized! That darn raccoon made quite the mess. How frustrating!
Your birthday celebration with Rick sounded great! I am glad you were able to throw it together! The meal sounded great! You've got a birthday just around the corner, too! :)
Dear Jeanie, my goodness, bless your heart! Raccoons are very capable of making that type of mess, but I am glad it wasn't worse, dear friend.
I am so sorry this happened to you.
Beautiful photos (minus the mess, of course), and you and Rick look fantastic! Happy Birthday to Rick!
So that explains the Magic Eraser!
Oh NOOOOO a raccoon in the house! Yikes! What a mess. Glad you got it fixed, but what a pain. Happy birthday to Rick - a nice dinner and bottle of wine sound pretty perfect to me!
I guess I am glad it was a raccoon and not a burglar, but what an unpleasant surprise! Lucky you checked in at home! Happy Birthday to Rick!
I've seen that kind of mess from a raccoon that got in through a pet flap my friend forgot to fasten shut. At first it looked like burglary until she realized nothing was missing. But what a jumble to clean up. Sorry you came home to that. Happy birthday to Rick anyway.
Oh my. We would at first figure it was a break in. We live in a retirement community and there are a few critters about. but coyotes take care of them.
How creepy to find that an animal had invaded your home and made a big mess! Did it use the litter box or just walk in it?
You created a lovely birthday celebration on short notice.
A raccoon is not what you want in the house and your pictures prove the point! I guess it could have been worse, but it was bad enough. We had one in our attic but we had it removed before it did much damage, thank goodness. That good bottle of wine must have tasted extra great!
Jeanie, did you ever find out what happened to your house? I'm guessing some kind of critter? That would be so unsettling to me to come home and find things torn into or on the floor. I'm wondering how he got inside the house? Your spread looks good. I love almonds, olives, and breadsticks. The perfect card for Rick, and thoughtful gifts from you. I also wondered how far you lived from the lake. I didn't realize it was almost 3 hours. Have a happy July week, Jeanie.
...what an uninvited visitor!
Oh my! That must have been a shock to see everything topsy-turvy. Happy birthday to Rick!
Hi and ohhh noooo. My first thought about the house would have been, "who broke in?" Too bad about your lovely house plants. Yes, you are that person that when something needs to get done you do it. The birthday dinner turned out to be perfect. I'm sorry about your shoulder though. Happy Tuesday to you.
Oh my goodness! I thought it was vandals...well, I guess it was, actually. What a mess. And then to clean it all up, ugh. Just when you probably wanted to rest, too.
Nice birthday celebration! Sometimes these impromptu parties are the best.
Safe travels to you both!
Oh my gosh. I thought you'd had a break in. Which you sort of did:) But I wasn't expecting it to be by a racoon. The birthday dinner sounded lovely as was the picture of the two of you.
Have a grand one.
My heart dropped at first and thought you had a burglar. Whew. Sneaky racoons. Man!!! Happy Birthday to Rick!!!!
Wishing you all the best and no fires!
Just Not what you want when you walk into your home after a long journey.
Very glad we don't have racoons here.
I am glad we don't have racoons here. They can certainly cause a lot of damage! My aunt and uncle used to own a caravan on a holiday park, next to a lake, which they lived in a lot of the time during the summer months. Opening it up after Winter one year they found utter chaos including holes ripped in seat cushions etc. They suspected burglars but the site manager said that the culprits were a pair of squirrels and they had trashed several caravans in the same way. So small, yet so destructive.
Hello Jeanie,
I am sorry you came home to a mess made from a critter, that is a crazy invasion. Happy Birthday to Rick! Your dinner sounds great.
Take care, enjoy your day!
You have an Alpenfest? What´s that about?
Oh, what a welcome.
But yippeeee on the Birthday.
"Don´t do it". OK - Sorry, this made me giggle...
I got really worried halfway through, I thought you might have been burgled. your handled this so well! I'm impressed.
Amalia
xo
That is crazy that a racoon broke into the house through your fireplace... I mean I have never heard of that! Glad the damage wasn't too bad but wow! I just assumed it to be a person.
Oh my goodness! Critters have a way of creating so much chaos! We had a squirrel in our garage and it caused all kind of damage. Sorry about your potted plants! ☹️
Praying all your appointments go well and you get back to the lake real soon!
The smoke has cleared in our neck of the woods!
When one goes away, one does not expect a raccoon to come in the house and rampage about. Sheesh! When will you be heading back up?
What a whirlwind of a homecoming from a mysterious raccoon invasion and wildfire smoke to reviving plants and pulling together an impromptu birthday celebration, you certainly know how to turn chaos into a story worth telling
You sure did find the perfect card for Rick! I'm glad the celebration came together in a just-right way, despite all the complexities. Even though I knew about your 'visitor,' actually seeing the chaos made it very real. My gosh -- and thank goodness it wasn't a human who broke in. A burglar probably wouldn't have left the place so messy, but it would have been more distressing.
I would have been shocked.. and TO..Ticked off:( Oh my..he got in through the chimney? Wonder iff he wore a mask..You are a glass half full gal with all going on..I knew the smoke was bad in Michigan but I cannot say what I have been thinking this past week..But believe me blood is boiling.Happy Bday to your Rick..safe travels..And again poor you and that mess Jeanie.
Wow, a raccoon in the house! Oh my!! Thankfully it must have found its way out before you got there.
Oh no. That does not sound fun to come home too. I once came home to a dead squirrel in the toilet. Having dogs in the house meant they chased it, and when it dived in to get away (I believe) the lid fell down and he couldn't get out. You had quite the mess, but luckily it wasn't a burglar or something as bad a fire. And I love your spontaneous birthday celebration. I'm sure Rick did too. They may not be exactly like you planned, but I;m sure Rick was quite happy. I also wanted to mention that I sometimes put on those storm disaster TV shows, and the one last week was about the tornado you had in Gaylord. Boy it was a real mess, wasn't it. I think the show is called in the eye of the storm if you're curious. Hope the house is back together and Rick's trip tomorrow is a good one. hugs-Erika
Oh my word! You have had quite a time of it lately! Years ago, I owned my own cleaning business in Upstate NY. One client was coming up to their weekend home and asked me to freshen it up. OMG! A pair of raccoons had gotten in through the chimney! Total distruction...and unfortunately they didnt survive their escapade. My client said he would take care of them and please just try to straighten up around them! Life sure can throw us curve balls!
Oh, raccoon for sure! They can be very destructive. Happy birthday to Rick. That sounds like a nice meal! Now I have a question for you as a fellow sinus sufferer. Do you feel that the sinus procedure has made a lasting difference for you? I'm genuinely curious. -Jenn
You sure rose to the occasion!
Those racoons are quite something!
Happy birthday to the cyclist!
Post a Comment