Saturday, August 3, 2024

The Books of July

July's book reading was pretty much non-existent but those I read were diverse and for the most part, worth the time.

 

"The Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown


You may have seen the film "The Boys in the Boat" this past winter -- a welcome entry to what is usually a somewhat dismal film season. (It's now available for rental on some streaming services). Or, you might have seen the PBS "American Experience" documentary about the 1936 men's Olympics rowing team (available on pbs video). Even so, don't let that motivate you to pass up Daniel James Brown's excellent book upon which both were based.

Yet another I'm adding to my so-far "best of 2024" list, Brown writes history much as another favorite of mine, Erik Larson does. It's well researched but very lively, telling the story through the lives of those who lived it. 

For those who know little of the story, in the 1930s, in the midst of the Depression, a group of young University of Washington freshmen tried out and were selected for the U's rowing crew. They shocked everyone, including their freshman coach Tom Bolles and the senior coach, Al Ulbrickson, with their skill and their potential. Could they possibly take on rival California -- or other leaders in the sport?

Ulbrickson saw potential in the group as competitors in the 1936 Olympics to be held in Berlin. Largely a group of working class boys, they formed a cohesive group -- one that didn't always win, didn't always shine, but always fought to be best and had the promise to do so. 

Of this group, Joe Rantz is the central character. More or less abandoned by his family as a teen, for Joe staying on the team was essential to staying in college and he worked hard as a janitor at night to pay for it. The story follows Joe through his struggles with family, school and even, at times, the sport. But it also focuses on many of the others of that team, bringing a richness and completeness to the boys in the boat.

Running parallel to life in Washington is that of life in Berlin as Adolf Hitler was determined to present a clean, sanitized Germany to the world in 1936, one in which Germans were dominant but people were friendly, anti-semitism simply did not exist and no one could imagine the impending war. We follow filmmaker Leni Reifenstahl as she prepares her landmark documentary "Olympia" and the mechanics the Third Reich took to put their own spin on the games. 

Yes, you'll learn a lot about rowing and now that I have, I'm rather geeked to watch the sport this summer in the Paris Olympics. But most of all, you learn about a group of men with courage, heart, and determination. It's an inspiring book and worth every minute spent reading it.

"The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant


Like probably many people, I never knew that the Biblical patriarch Jacob (father of the 12 sons, including Joseph -- with the amazing technicolor dreamcoat) -- had a daughter. His only daughter was Dinah, daughter of his first wife, Leah.

In this historical fiction novel, Anita Diamant takes the barely-mentioned story of Dinah and weaves a picture of life in biblical times, largely from the perspective of the women in Jacob's life -- Leah, Rachel (his beloved), Zilpah and Bilhah, the four mothers of his children.

The Red Tent is the sanctuary of the women during their moon cycle or menstruation when they are kept separate from the men. In the red tent, legends are shared, women are prepared for adulthood, marriage and childbirth, and where babies are born. While the men are tending flocks, the women -- the wives, concubines and maidservants -- are spinning and making cloth and clothing, baking bread, cooking and serving as midwives to others in the area. 

The book follows the lives of the women Dinah calls her "four mothers" from the arrival of Jacob  into their lives, and Dinah's life until her death. Her youth, spent with the "mothers," shows her growth, her sense of tradition, and her launching into the world of midwifery, followed by her separation from her family and her new life in Egypt.

Remembering that there is little historic reference of Dinah in the original text, Diamant had plenty of room to weave and interesting and fascinating story with no real documented fact to follow. This does not make the book any less intriguing. But it is, as she reminds us, historic fiction.

This fact led me to the internet to check out some of the traditions and events she cited. In her own Q&A she says there's no historic evidence to support the idea of the menstrual tent in the pre-modern world, but it felt historically plausible to give them one. She also said her research focused on the everyday life of women in the ancient Near East, concentrating on food, clothing, social organization and medicine in the era of c. 1500 BCE. (The scenes of birth make "Call the Midwife" seem like "Sesame Street.")

My take? An interesting look at the lives of women in a time of which I know little with a good story that ties up many loose ends. Whether it is factual or not, or even based on fact (given that the books of the Bible are part of oral history and stories passed down and consequently, likely to a variety of interpretation over time) is relevant only if you are a stickler for fact. I am, but was happy to let it go in this case.

"Sins Out of School" by Jeanne M. Dams


I know. I said I wouldn't read another of Dams' "Dorothy Martin" mysteries for a bit. And I probably would have waited a little longer had I not been home and the books I wanted to read were at the lake. As it was, I rather enjoyed this one -- and it was a super fast read.

I still am glad I don't personally know Dorothy Martin, because she is such a snoopy busybody it would drive me nuts. (Although, she is a very nice lady and if I knew someone who was murdered, I would want her on my side!) But she is a pretty good sleuth. In this outing, she is called in to substitute teach a class when the teacher doesn't show up for work. When Dorothy finds out that the woman's husband had been murdered and that Andrea (the teacher she was replacing) might be the chief suspect, she decides to investigate herself. Of course, Andrea (as well as her nine-year-old daughter, Miriam) had motive. The victim, John Doyle was a member of an extreme, almost cult-like religion and ruled his family stiffly and without love or warmth, all but imprisoning his wife and daughter with great emotional abuse.

But was he the only one who had motive? Might he be blackmailing those who run the church for skimming money off the top? Or Amanda's sister, Gillian? Or a few others along the way? 

I may not like Dams' main character, but I do enjoy her supporting cast -- Dorothy's husband, her neighbor, the tolerant police detective Derek. And her plots are pretty clever. Not a waste of time for a super-quick summer read. 

"The Darkest Evening" by Ann Cleese


One of the more recent entries into the "Vera" series, "The Darkest Evening" is set shortly before Christmas. Lorna Falstone leaves her home with her baby, Thomas, in tow. Not long after, somewhat lost in a blinding snowstorm, Vera finds an abandoned car with baby Thomas inside and no Lorna. Concerned, she leaves a note that she has taken Thomas and to contact her. Then she heads to the nearby manor house, seeking a phone signal.

Brockburn Manor has memories for Vera. It is part of her not-all-that-distant family past through her reprobate father Hector's line. The Stanhopes who live there now are people she's not seen since she was a child. Daughter Juliet, now married and owner of the manor, welcomes her, although her mother, Harriet, is less friendly. The Stanhopes are having a party, hoping to court donors to supporting the manor as a center of arts in the area, organized by Juliet's husband, Mark Bolitho.

It's not long after Vera's arrival that Lorna's body (identity still unknown) is found by a tenant of the estate, coming to Brockburn to pick up his daughters, who were serving at the party. Vera's team must first find the identity of the victim to ensure Thomas is united with family. And then, it is a matter of finding who killed Lorna. And why.

There is (as always) no shortage of suspects. Was it Thomas' father (no one knows his identity, either)? One of the Stanhope/Bolitho group, concerned that Thomas might be eligible to inherit Brockburn? Any of the tenants of the Brockburn estate, many of whom knew Lorna as a younger woman and might have an ax to grid? 

As always, Cleeves weaves an interesting plot. And in this version, we get to know more of Vera's backstory, as well as see her young DS Holly Jackman come more into her own. A worthy entry into the Vera Chronicles.

37 comments:

acorn hollow said...

It is a good time to read the Boys in The Boat.
I have read the anne Cleves one.
Cathy

My name is Erika. said...

I was just about to get up and start moving when I saw this post. I wanted to check it out. Years ago I read the Red Tent, and I can't say I really remember much of it, except the purpose of the tent. I remember I liked it, but didn't love it. Maybe I should reread it. Boys in the Boat is sitting on my bookshelf because my husband read it, and since the movie came out (but I haven't seen it) and since my husband really like the book, I should read it. (If only there was more time in a day or fewer book choices for reading-grin). But seriously, since you loved it and since we like a lot of similar books I do need to give it a read. I haven't read the other 2 books either, but I have no excuse about the Vera series since I was gifted a set of like her first 5 books and I haven't touched them. It's not really about the number of books you read in a month but about how much you get out of them, right? Your life has been busy, busier than mine I think, so 4 good books are a great list. And I love the cover on the Vera book too, even though I am not ready to even think about winter. Thanks for sharing these Jeanie. It's always fun to read about book. And sorry for this super long comment too. :) hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

Starting off with an inspiring Olympics book is perfect timing! I read The Red Tent back in the day. Interesting book. The mysteries sound good.

Tom said...

...you have been busy.

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I'm sure I would enjoy reading "The Boys in the Boat". I enjoy books that are related to history, especially if it involves other countries that I have visited.

Rita said...

I remember reading The Red Tent when it came out back in the 90s maybe--before I moved here in 1999--back when I could still read books like a mad woman and take stacks home from the library regularly.

I saw the episode of Vera made from this book! Was very good, of course. I do love that series.

I always love to hear about the books you read. I can vicariously remember all the years I devoured books from about the age of nine until my eyes get used up every day just on my laptop. So glad I got in all those many years before my eyes shifted on me--lol! :) And thank goodness for this streaming age for people like me. Now I can devour movies and shows like I did books--lol! :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Some good books. I got The Red Tent as a Christmas present, loved it. And the books of Jean Dams and Ann Cleaves are always good. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Bill said...

Another good list. Anne Cleaves sounds interesting. Enjoy the weekend.

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you very much for the excellent book reviews Jeanie. I will be looking for them. Happy weekend to you :)

Pamela said...

You always have the best choices!

Iris Flavia said...

It is finally summer and I managed one book, am at the second... You do a lot of reading!

ashok said...

Great list of books..thanks!

Veronica Lee said...

Your reviews always make me want to dive into the books immediately.
"The Darkest Evening" catches my interest, especially with the winter setting and complex family dynamics.
Thanks for sharing these wonderful reviews.
You've certainly added to my ever-growing reading list!

Also, thanks for your prayers, Jeanie. The situation with my neighbors is slightly improving, and I'm hearing less noise these days.

Lisbeth said...

Looks like you had som interesting reads in July. The Red Tent sounds interesting. We don't really know that much about life in those days, so always interesting to read about it, even if it is historical fiction. A good thriller is always good in summer, and you kept to the Olympic theme as well.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

As always, Jeanie, your reviews are impeccable. I have no doubt many of your readers plan their reading lists based on your recommendations,

Pam said...

You have been doing a lot of reading. Me, not so much. Summer is not my reading time. Winter is where I take part in that.

Missy said...

Back in the days when I was reading, Daniel Brown was one of my go to authors. I didn’t realize that he wrote the boys in the boat. I am familiar with that title. Maybe I could stream it. I hope you’re having a good weekend.

thepaintedapron.com said...

Thanks for the thorough reviews Jeanie. It must have been especially interesting to read about the 1936 Olympics with our summer Olympics going on~ The Dorothy Adams book sounds fun, with a lot of interesting characters. I need to get back to daily reading, I've been addicted to puzzles lately :)
Jenna

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

I read The Red Tent years ago and I remember being unable to put it down!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Olympics in the 30's had to be filled with all sorts of challenges. I bet that was an interesting read!

NGS said...

"Because she is such a snoopy busybody" - lolololol. Right? I feel that way about a lot of detectives. Imagine if Jessica Fletcher came to visit you?!

Priscilla King said...

Whether the women shared a "red tent" or each one simply had her own tent to stay in while she was ritually unclean, who knows. The Bible writers talk as if each one had her own tent, from which she could use "uncleanness" as an excuse not to admit her menfolks. It would be interesting to know whether communal "moon lodges" were an American specialty, or had counterparts...

I think I liked "The Red Tent" more because I read it after "Miriam's Well," in which the author discusses the history of Jewish historical fiction that's been spun around the canonical Bible stories for hundreds of years. There's an ancient tradition of stories about how Dinah went to Egypt, married well, and had a daughter about the age of her younger brother Joseph, so when he came to Egypt he could marry a nice Jewish girl. No proof, but one can see why those who traced their descent to Joseph liked the story.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I really enjoyed The Boys in the Boat when I read it years ago! I should watch the movie at some point, too. I have meant to read The Red Tent but have not gotten around to it. I will at some point!

I read 7 books in July and will get that list up on Monday. 5 were really great/great, 2 were ok to meh. So all in all it was a strong month!! I just finished reading "God of the Woods" which is a literary mystery set in the Adirondacks and it was so good! 5 stars!

Ricki Treleaven said...

You read a nice variety this month. I read The Red Tent years ago, and I remember liking it. Have a great week! xo, RJ

Polly said...

A good selection Jeanie, the Red Tent sounds very interesting.

Linda Stoll said...

I did a recent re-read of The Boys in the Boat and loved it even more the 2nd time! I have a feeling I'd respond the same way to another read of The Red Tent. Thanks for your prompt to go there, friend!

I hope summertime is treating you well ...

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I understand your problem with Dorothy Martin books. I've reached a point with many cozy mysteries that I am tired of the heroine always getting in the way of the police. What I like about the Dorothy Martin characters is the relationship between the husband and wife. My favorite books in the series are the first few where their relationship growing is a main subject. They should include more of him I think.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Thanks so much for stopping by as often as you do...I really appreciate it. We are supposed to be having a 6 day stretch of temps. only in the high 70's so I hope to get some reading done again with some cleaning in the craft room and the sitting room upstairs....It has been way too hot to do anything in those rooms of late...I hope you are enjoying your week!!
Hugs,
Deb
Debbie-Dabble Blog

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I remember reading and loving The Red Tent long ago, probably before I began reviewing everything I read. I thought the idea was based on historical fact. Thanks for sharing a little more about that.

Jenny Woolf said...

I'd never heard the true take of the Boys in the Boat but it sounds great and I'd also like to see the film!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've seen ads for Boys in the boat, but had no idea it was from a book. I must check out the PBS take, too. I support them, so need to get something out of it. BTW, I've also seen Vera is a PBS film, so need to check that out. Thanks for sharing your really inclusive reviews of each of these, dear Jeanie. Sorry I wasn't by sooner.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks for the titles. I am trying to read my current book slowly, to enjoy it, but it is a page turner! One Perfect Couple, by Ruth Ware

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeanie :)
Excellent book reviews. I read every word, and although I'm not familiar with the authors they all seem entertaining stories.Thank you Jeanie . I'm reading "Keep Sharp" at the moment, hoping to improve my mental capacity. I'm now going to visit your other August post, :)

Anca said...

Gosh, I pressed something and sent the message before I had the chance of finishing it. :))
I was just saying that I added to my wishlist at the local library The Boys in the Boat because it sounds like a great book. Have you read Travellers in the Third Reich by Julia Boyd? I highly recommend it. The Boat book reminded me of that, in a way.

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, I don’t know how I missed your book reviews. They are always well written. With your review, I must go ahead and read Boys in the Boat!

Debbie said...

you may know that i am not a reader, i am a person who dreams about reading. a person who joined a book club and was able to read and comprehend only one book "vera wong's unsolicited advice for murderers", i loved it.

in a sea of terrible movies lately "the boys in the boat" was quite refreshing and i really enjoyed it!!

Joanne said...

I could have sworn that I had already read this post and left a comment but I don't see it... anyway, I have heard such great things about The Boys in the Boat. We have a few homeschooling families that recommended it to us ages ago and we never got around to reading it. Now with the moving having come out they're all so surprised I STILL haven't managed to pick it up yet. I really must add it to my list!

Popular Posts