Yes, I have been painting a bit! I decided I need to finally fill my practice book, and since I had done Sketchbook Revival and then a few things during Workshop Week, I'd just keep at it. Soon I'll pull out the good paper and get back to animal portraits and other images but for now, this has been fine!
Some of you may have participated in Workshop Week, a week of free tutorials in a variety of subjects similar to Sketchbook Revival, which I mentioned in earlier posts. I didn't find as many workshops I wanted to spend time with as I did in "Sketchbook" and because they only kept them up for 24 hours (versus Sketchbook's several weeks), a couple I would have been interested in didn't work out. But I did enjoy learning how to better paint loose florals.
The page on the left was the practice page and then the one on the right and the close-up below are the finished pieces. I really enjoyed this one and learned well from it. (And if I'd written down the name of the instructor, I'd share it!)
Sarah Simon, "The Mint Gardener," also did a floral workshop. She was painting what she called Queen Anne's Lace. I didn't think it looked like the Queen Anne's Lace I know (too fluffy), but it was pretty and I liked her wet-on-wet technique.
Mine turned out more like marigolds and then I just riffed on another flower to finish off the page.
Finally, I did an abstract painting tutorial. I really don't like what I did (below) but I may well use the exercise in the future to loosen up and play with different shapes. I think there was a language interpretation issue as well as not really knowing what the project would be like so my colors got all off and I made some bad choices! (But as you know, I show the good, bad and ugly because it's important to remember that not every piece turns out the way one wants it to!)
When that wrapped up, I thought I should keep on with flowers for a bit. I'd bought some beautiful pink carnations for my Queen's Jubilee Tea. I thought they might be a fun subject. I have a tough time drawing from life, so this was a bit of a challenge! (I can't say I like the red-on-red with the background; not sure I'd do that again!) But it was fun and I really enjoyed playing with my new bleedproof white for the baby's breath! Best money I ever spent on paint! (Well, at least SOME of the best money I've ever spent on paint!)
I also did a greeting card, using the rose theme. I need to start making cards for my November sale -- it creeps up on you!
I also did a couple of cards from the blob-critters tutorial I so enjoyed during Sketchook Revival.
And one from the Sketchook Revival fungi workshop.
And of course, more marigolds. The aqua background on this is actually a bit darker than it photographed.
This is a blob-cat, too -- which doesn't look all that different than some I've done of the rear view of the cat in the past! I like how the colors moved.
It certainly feels good to be back painting! And there's more to come -- and probably a LOT more this summer, once I get to the lake! Which will be soon! Look for Postcards from the Lake to begin next week!