Wednesday, April 14, 2021

From the Winter Bookshelf: Mysteries and More

As we roll into spring I wanted to recap a few of my favorite books of the winter, listed in no particular order.

You Must Remember This: Life and Style in Hollywood's Golden Age by Robert J. Wagner with Scott Eyman.


When my friend Suzanne included this in a package of books she sent to me during lockdown, I glanced at the cover and thought it would be a memoir or autobiography of actor Robert J. Wagner, who shows up regularly in "Hart to Hart" reruns. Well, it is a memoir, but less of the actor himself or his career than of Hollywood, specifically Hollywood in the Golden Age, which he defines as largely the 20s through the 40s and winding down in the 50s. 

He begins with looking at the greater Hollywood area, including Brentwood, Bel Air and Beverly Hills and how it was developed from farm land and built by many who would find their careers in the film business -- the studio moguls, the art directors and designers and more. Then he segues into names that lovers of classic films will know as he looks at the homes of Hollywood's actors and movers and shakers, how they played, the parties they threw, how the styles evolved, the role of the press, the restaurants and nightclubs and what went on behind the scenes. 

It's a dishy book, but not a malicious way or the way one might expect. Instead, it is a mix of memories and Hollywood history, seen through the eyes of a once young actor and those he worked with and admired, including James Cagney, Jimmy Stewart, Spencer Tracy, Clifton Webb, Laurence Olivier, Billy Wilder, Barbara Stanwyck, Harold Lloyd, Carol Lombard, Fred Astaire and the studio moguls and designers.

"I've spent a lot of time here talking about place, about ambience, but I have to be honest -- when I think of those days, I think mostly of people," he says in the book's concluding chapter. It is a surprisingly loving memoir, not of Wagner, but of a city and was a delightful surprise.


Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis

 

Classic movie fans and Broadway musical lovers will probably be familiar with "Auntie Mame," the book that inspired the movie of the same title with Rosalind Russell and the musical "Mame." But if you are like me, you never read the book. If you are in need of laugh out loud moments (yes, I really did), then get a copy of this one right now!

Dennis recounts in first person the story of a little boy who, upon the death of his father, is sent to live with his Bohemian aunt in a New York City penthouse in the 1920s (?) She is as over the top as one could imagine with a cadre of friends (including actress Vera Charles, Mame's best friend) and a progressive group of artists and educators that sets young Patrick's trustee, Mr. Babcock, into a frenzy.

The chapters recount specific moments as Patrick grows up and the people who are part of his life -- the Japanese house boy, Ito; Mame's secretary, Agnes Gooch; her husband, Jackson Beauregard Pickett Burnside; and his various girlfriends. But the real story is the relationship between the boy and later, young man, and his magical aunt -- one filled with love, laughter, daring and joy.

There are some uncomfortable stereotypes (consider the period in which it was written) but it is clear that Mame loves everyone -- and is fiercely loyal, enough so to stand up to the parents of Patrick's fiancee and their preference for "restricted" neighborhoods, as well as her protection of Ito during WWII. This one was so worth every minute spent reading it, I'd read it again.

Finding Chika by Mitch Albom


Mitch Albom is not only a regular columnist of the Detroit Free Press but the author of many best sellers including "Tuesdays with Morrie" and "The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto." His newest, "Finding Chika," may be his most personal. Non-fiction, it is the true story of Chika, whom Albom and his wife, Janine, took from the Haitian orphanage they sponsor after an earthquake when the medical system in Haiti could not handle her special needs.

Chika is a handful -- lively, funny, stubborn, opinionated, and so very determined. Her time with Mitch and his Janine is filled with medical appointments and a variety of therapies, but also with loads of joy and even more love. As they travel the world, searching for a cure for an inopearble brain tumor, Chika makes friends wherever she goes but no one is more affected or touched than the Alboms.

Albom writes in first person, looking back at this time with intermittent visits from Chika, his muse and inspiration. You swear you won't cry when you read this -- that you know what is coming and you WILL NOT CRY. No one knows how to guide reader emotions better than Albom. But then the tears come. And they feel good, because you know that two people -- and a world of others -- made the last years of one spunky little girl better. And equally important, she did that and more for all she touched.

 The Lost Manuscript by Cathy Bonidan


Suppose you were on holiday and found, in your lodging, a manuscript of a book that so moved you, you had to find out more. Who wrote it? And how did it get into the drawer of a night stand in a small, season hotel on the Brittany coast?

Told in a series of letters and emails by the manuscript's founder, Anne Lise, and others, the provenance of the manuscript is traced back to its author, with each step of the manuscript's journey touching one more person in profound and life-changing ways. 

If you have enjoyed some of the novels of one of my favorites, Antoine Lurain, ("The Red Notebook," "The President's Hat," "The Portrait"), I think you'll find this one a total delight. 

A Bit About Britain's High Days and Holidays" by Mike Biles

 

If you love Great Britain as much as I do and follow Mike Biles' blog, A Bit About Britain, then you may be familiar with this, his second book. It takes Britain's high days and holidays chronologically and illuminates each with history, traditions, the occasional recipe and best of all, his witty, deprecating humor that makes one feel as though they are in conversation with him.

A confession: I thought I'd read this book in order -- read about New Year's in January, Robbie Burns night in February, St. Patrick's Day in March, and so on. And I started out that way. But by the time I got to St. Patrick's Day, I was once again so captivated by Mike's style that I just kept going. I learned a lot -- and had great fun at the same time!

 Into the Darkness by Karin Fossum

Karin Fossum is a relatively new-to-me author. Set in Norway, "In the Darkness" is the first in her series of novels featuring the widowed Inspector Seger.

One of the interesting elements of this novel is that probably half of it is told in flashback. It begins as a woman and her daughter spot the body of a drowned man as they are walking by a river. When Seger is brought into the case they learn the drowning was not accidental but the victim of a violent crime. Could it be linked to another murder the Seger's team is investigating, that of a well-known prostitute?

The first portion of the book deals with Seger's investigation. But when he has his suspect, the true story unfolds and is told in flashback. It's intriguing and interesting -- and makes me eager for another by this author.

Diana vs. Charles by James Whitaker

 


OK, another Charles and Diana book. That is so 1980s, isn't it? So is this book by royal correspondent James Whitaker. To be honest, I didn't have high hopes but it looked like a quick and easy read at the time (it was) and I'd just finished a couple of mysteries. I wanted something quick that would fit in my purse to read while waiting for doc appointments. Something that, if I abandoned it, I wouldn't feel bad about doing so! What was surprising is that it struck me as reasonably well researched (as well researched and unbiased as a royal correspondent might be) and revealed some things new to me from the other books and coverage I read on these two so many years ago. Everyone has an opinion, but this one seemed to be relatively balanced.

Guido Brunetti Mysteries by Donna Leon


Donna Leon's Guido Brunetti mysteries are set in Venice and I've written about them before. So far I'm ready for number eight in the series and this past winter read two of them, "Quietly in their Sleep" and "A Noble Radiance." I won't go into detail here, other than to say neither disappointed and I look forward to the next book in the series.

The Vows of Silence by Susan Hill

 


This is the part of Hill's mysteries featuring Simon Serrailler. Again, I won't go into detail because I've written about these books before. I will say that this series keeps getting better and better and the characters evolve in each entry. Serrailler is a complicated detective (aren't they all?) and the books also include wonderful insights into his family, his pasts and his relationships, while solving deeply complex murders. Start with the first one. 

"The Outcast Dead" by Elly Griffiths

 Again, I've written about this series before (heartily recommended by blogger Erika, (and thank you for that). Set in Norfolk on the coast, Ruth Galloway is an archaeologist and this one takes us into the potential discovery of King Arthur's bones -- and the death of one of Ruth's college chums. (This, also, is a series where characters evolve and their personal stories play as much a role as the mysteries do, so start with number one.)

"Death Has a Small Voice" by Frances and Richard Lockridge


This is one of those vintage 1950s mysteries featuring the unlikely amateur detectives, Pam and Jerry North (who fortunately have a real NYC detective as their best friend). Jerry is a publisher and Pam is as scatterbrained as you might expect the heroine of a 1950s mystery series to be (but surprisingly intuitive and usually the lynchpin to a good solving!). This one involves a dictation record (anyone remember those?) that might reveal a murderer. It's good fun and a fast read if you can find these. (Bonus points if you can find the version on the right -- with the classic old-time covers!)

Inspector French's Greatest Case by Freeman Wills Crofts

From the 1950s, step back a few decades into a British Crime classic. Inspector French is confounded by the murder of one who works for a diamond merchant. In his quest to discover who killed him and how it was done in this locked room, French travels to France, Switzerland, Amsterdam and back to England in a well conceived, baffling case. These classics are wonderful reads, even if the writing styles are, on occasion, are dated. It doesn't matter. The mystery holds up and this is worth a read.


So, that's it for now! More to come but so far, a fun reading year! 

Sharing with:     Let's Keep in Touch     /     Pink Saturday    

48 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Have fun reading! Hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, Jeanie, you found some great books. I want to read the British Holidays book and the book on Diana and Charles. I also would love to find the Donna Leon books. I've asked about them at our library, but they don't carry that series. I think you chose some great winter books to read, dear.

Martha said...

Sounds like a fantastic bunch of reads, thanks for telling us about all of them. One on my list for sure is the Mitch Albom book. I stopped reading when the pandemic hit, just couldn't concentrate but, planning to do something with a reading challenge for one of my 30 day challenges to plunge back into it again!

Sue in Suffolk said...

Thank you for the Donna Leon nudge, I'd forgotten to look for the most recent. Luckily a series the library always buys for stock

Joanne Huffman said...

Love your book reviews - always find someone new to try.

bobbie said...

I'm going to have to look for more than a few of those !!

Mae Travels said...

Great list! I have quite a few series to pick up when I feel like reading fiction again, and you have reminded me of several.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DUTA said...

Your post reminds me of the tragedy of two very beautiful women: Natalie Wood (Robert Wagner's wife)- drowned, and Princess Diana - killed in a car accident. Both women were not warned about the perils that await non-ordinary women like them.

Natalie's death remains a mystery to this day, but Diana's death, seems to be more or less clear. Diana was killed by an arranged paparazzi chase, probably because of her non-british, foreign boyfriends(she was in the fatal car with the egyptian Dudi al Fayad).

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeanie,
Great collection of books, I see a few mysteries I will add to my list.
Take care, have a great day!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This obsession with celebrity, whether Hollywood or royalty, is a bit of a mystery to me, but it does seem to sell books!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I enjoyed Auntie Mame so much, and I will now look for The Lost Manuscript. I love anything French.

crackercrumblife said...

Looks like you have been reading some interesting books! I am going to tell my mom about You Must Remember This, it looks like a book she would love! Actually, her birthday is coming up... that might be something I grab for her.

I have always wanted to go to a Robert Burns dinner! They have one every year at St. Andrew's Hall in Detroit. Maybe one day I will make it there. My mom used to go when she was a kid. :)

Divers and Sundry said...

So many authors I don't know! I'll be checking into some of them. Thanks for the recommendations.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I love how you don't hold anything back when you find something that you're passionate about. I used to be that way about all things U.S Suffragettes like you are about all things British.

Sandra Cox said...

Haven't read any of these, but sounds like you picked some good ones.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jeanie,
what a great variety of books...I hope that as I slowly work my way through my 2-3 Year To Do List, I will have more time to read....I have a tons of books too!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
Hugs,
Debbie

William Kendall said...

An eclectic mix.

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Boy, did I ever have a mega-crush on Robert Wagner! And I never missed Hart To Hart!! Would a fun mix of books. Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Jeanie.

Lisbeth said...

So many interesting books. Seems you have had a good go with your chosen books. There are some there I would be interested in reading, such as Susan Hill, Mame, The Lost Manuscript (love these kind of books), and of course Leon and Fossum are never wrong.
I am a fan of everything Hollywood and movies. How wonderful to find an older book about this fascinating world.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Those books sound interesting! I haven't had a lot of time to read lately, but hope to soon. I just got my library card here in my new home town!

My name is Erika. said...

I really enjoyed your book post today Jeanie and getting some recommendations. The Robert Wagner book actually sounds interesting, and not what you would think from the cover page at all. And I'm always happy to find some new mystery books and authors. Off to add these to my list. The Karin Fossum book sounds good, ok all the mysteries do. I am almost done with the second Guido Brunetti mystery. It sounds like I should keep reading, and I definitely want to. Donna Leon has been a good discovery. Thanks for sharing and all these recommendations. Hugs-Erika

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I've read several of your books. First I loved Robert Wagner's remembrances of old Hollywood. If I had grown up there like he did, I would have been in heaven. Second, I read Auntie Mame when I was really young. I was 10 or 12 maybe. My older sister (also a big reader) had brought it home to read. Of course I snuck it when she went out on Friday night and finished it Saturday. That was how I read Exodus too.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wowness book list! Thank you. Great for April showers' reading time

The French Hutch said...

You certainly had a great selection and variety of reads to choose from during lockdown. I enjoyed reading your reviews and and will go back through so I haven't missed any of your details. Thanks for your views, you always make them interesting........

Sami said...

I used to love watching Hart to Hart :)
I loved the Mitch Albom's books, will have to find this one.
Some great reads Jeanie.

R's Rue said...

❤️

gigi-hawaii said...

I loved Tuesdays with Morrie, so I might like Chika. Thanks for this recap.

Sandra at Maison De Jardin said...

Hi Jeanie. Such a great variety of books that look so interesting. I will put them on my list to check out. Thanks for sharing them. Happy day and weekend!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Jeanie, I always love the way you describe books--you tell us just what we need to know. When I read a book I've chosen based on what you said about it, I know I won't be disappointed. Happy Spring!

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Hey Jeanie! This is quite a list! I have read some Donna Leon and will read some more. I like mysteries, but I love Venice so that is an extra treat. Thank you so much for the sweetest message. I don't know how you manage to keep up with everybody, but you make me feel special. Thank you. J.

Sandra Cox said...

I take that back. I've read several of the Ruth Galloway series.

Pamela said...

What great recommendations! I want to read more, but am sorry to say I’ve done very little this past crazy year. I’ve loved reading, since I was very young, but I haven’t been reading much lately. Maybe your post will inspire me.

Arti said...

That's a lot of reading. And Robert Wagner? What a surprise. Before Hart to Hart, there was It Takes a Thief. Do you remember that one? Amazing that he was still working two years ago.

anno said...

This is so timely -- exactly the pointers to exactly the kinds of books I seem to be craving right now: escapist romps from the leaden grayness of of relentless zoom meetings. Thank you!

I'm looking forward to trying out the Inspector French series and possibly the Simon Serrailler series as well, and I just might have to give Auntie Mame a try. Sure could use a good laugh these days!

Hope you are enjoying getting out and about a bit more -- it's a beautiful spring! xoxo

Marilyn Miller said...

What a nice list and I haven't read one of them.
Thanks for the inspiration to explore some other books.

Iris Flavia said...

Finding Chika sounds really interesting! As The Lost Manuscript!

I´ll never get what the beautiful Diana tried to find in that Charles.

You read a lot!!!

Little Wandering Wren said...

I reckon you've done it right in 2021 stick your head in a book and ride it out! I would love to read the Mitch Albom book, I love all his writing!
Happy Reading!
Wren x

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Such a wonderfully diverse group of books to consider, thanks for the reviews.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

You have read some great books! I have been meaning to read the Albom book since you mentioned it. But I need to be in the right state of mind for a tear jerker like that! I will eventually check it out, though!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You have had a fun reading year, so far, Jeanie, and I have as well, Right now I am listening to the Golden Hour by Beatriz Williams, and finished Her Last Flight by the same author. I recently finished The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammet and The Book of Lost Names by Kristin Harmel. The next book on my Kindle is The Mystery of Mrs. Christie by Marie Benedict.I have read many of Donna Leon's Inspector Brunetti novels and another good series is by the mother-son writing team of Charles Todd with Inspector Rutledge of Scotland Yard.

Pam said...

Lots of reading! haha....I loved Hart to Hart but lets go back even more, I love Wagoner in It Takes a Theif. I have actually read two books lately. I love reading at night before bedtime. Happy reading to you.

roughterrain crane said...

Good books always take people to the new world. It seems you have a special passport to fly into there anytime. Happy weekend to you.

thepaintedapron.com said...

I would love to read the book Auntie Mame, I've seen the live performance several times, a true classic and entertaining play! The Hollywood book intrigues me too, fun stuff! I love book reviews!
Jenna

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I always enjoy seeing what others are reading. You have a goodly stack there.

Jenny Woolf said...

Over time I have read quite a few books by Susan Hill. She does very good ghost stories! Never the Simon Serrailler ones, though.

Barb said...

Love your book posts. I read the whole Ruth Galloway series. I saw Mame on Broadway. Mitch Albom bought a house in Breckenridge several years ago - don't know if he still owns it.

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, thanks so much for reviewing your recent reads. The Robert Wagner books sounds like one I would enjoy, I like stories of old Hollywood. Several of these books pique my interest. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Lowcarb team member said...

A nice variety Jeanie and lovely to see Mike's book here, I always enjoy his blog posts :)

All the best Jan

Popular Posts