Monday, April 12, 2021

While I Was Sleeping, Spring Burst Out!

Oh, spring. You go to bed one night and the next day it is everywhere -- spring green draping the branches of trees, magnolia blossoms open and welcoming, flowers everywhere.  

Back in 1977 when my mom lay in her hospital bed, only a week or so from death on April 21, one of my cousins came to visit. She was an MSU graduate so after visiting mom, we went by her old dorm and walked on campus when the trees were in bloom. It was an early spring and added extra beauty to that day.

My cousin, Sue, in 1977, in mid-April on MSU's campus

There have been other early springs. Last year was not one of them. When Rick and I went walking on the MSU campus on Mother's Day in mid-May, the flowering trees had only just bloomed and the trillium was plentiful. (I wrote about that HERE.)

Rick at the reflecting pool, mid-May, 2020.

This year -- even earlier than that visit from my cousin Susan fourty-four years ago -- things seemed to pop overnight. I may have missed some of the best of it, but it was still pretty good! Yesterday I took a long walk on the university campus and while the trees were still in bloom, I think I missed the trillium. And the redbuds are nearly done.

When we walked last year, we may have seen five others on a somewhat cool and gloomy Mother's Day. It was the early days of Covid and while we were allowed to be out for walks, few were. Yesterday I saw small groups picnicking on the grassy areas, riding bicycles with their families or simply walking, most all masked. Some were admiring the statues on campus, dating back to the WPA. You can take a WPA art tour of MSU's campus sites online HERE. This is fittingly by the music building.

I'm rather fond of the magnolia. Last year-- mid-May -- the magnolia had just burst into full bloom, below.

Mid-May 2020

This year (below), they were still in bloom -- but there were more than a few petals on the ground.

Mid-April 2021

Beaumont Tower is one of the campus' landmarks. It it had a logo other than that Sparty logo you see in sports, this would be it.


And in the spring, the old part of campus, with its beautiful lanterns, is really special. 


This is a Saucer Magnolia. Isn't it beautiful? 


You really couldn't beat the beauty of this one!


This tree, a Merrill Magnolia, smelled so fragrant it almost took your breath away.

 

Our temperatures had dropped from our very warm days earlier in the week and we'd had quite a rain the day before. Even so, the sky was blue and looking through the petals reminded me of an Impressionist painting.


Michigan State is not without its faults. You don't see that so much as a student, but when you work for an institution for 32 years, you see how the sausage gets made. The cover-ups during the Larry Nasser scandal are a good example of how the U tries to protect its own and its reputation at all costs and that's just one example. 


But we have new president who seems to be very on task and has worked hard to rehabilitate the university. He is also an epidemiologist and they've done a remarkable job trying to both provide good educations to students while keeping them safe. 


He's lucky to work and live on one of the loveliest campuses in the world. Above is the President's Home on the campus. Many choose not to live there, using it only for receptions, but I'm told he has decided to do so.

Beal Garden is a botanical garden with an array of odd plants and plenty of them. (This is the one I wrote about last year).


Many plants were up and this one was especially showy.


It also has a lovely reflecting pool and it was a perfect day for it, with moody skies that changed from blue to gray and back again.


The koi were loving it.


And it was a fun spot to try shadow puppets! (I couldn't resist, though I didn't want to get too close to the edge!)


The squirrels were out in full force. I must have counted dozens.


This one I caught in mid-air, leaping through the area where the trillium grown. It's a bit of a fuzzy photo but it's hard to hit a moving target!


The colors were beautiful -- glorious pinks....


....and the last of the daffodils. The tulips are now beginning to burst.


The gardens have interseting art. Note the gates at the top of the stairs leading out of the garden.

The stair rails are sculpted with metal pine cones.


When you look at the gate as a whole, you can see the stylized metal trees (and to me, until you look close, a bit of a hot mess...)


...but when you take a closer look at the gate itself, a splendid array of "foliage" is revealed.

I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, I can get things planted outdoors a little early. I wish I had a planting shed that looked like this instead of just a garage!


Ah, well. Can't have everything! And I am so grateful that what I do have is a glorious spring.


Bye for now!

Sharing with:    Tuesday Turn About     /     Let's Keep in Touch     /    Share Your Style     /     Pink Saturday    

54 comments:

La Table De Nana said...

It's all early here too..you have a great way of keeping track:)Nothing is happening here yet but thinks are Poking:)
The sun feels good on my face♥Enjoy this Spring.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

There is SO much beauty in the great outdoors! And this year feels so much more hopeful than a year ago. Love your Spring flowers and the sculptures are amazing! Happy Spring!

Martha said...

I love all the gorgeous photos and the magnificent flowering trees. That's something we don't see much of down here in SW Florida. I did have some beautiful magnolias and red bud trees when I loved in north Florida and I sure do miss them. Happy spring! :)

Joanne Huffman said...

There is something so joyful about new spring growth. Lovely photos.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a lovely place to take a walk in the spring! A tip on taking pictures of a fast moving target on you cell phone. Just hold the button down and it will take several pictures. You will see the target in every position clearly!

Linda Sue said...

what a splendid place, that campus! And who would not love to live right there in the presidents house? Magnolias seem to prefer cold climates I think. Such a lovely post of eye candy, yummy! Bright little fish, still alive after the freeze?

Rain said...

Hi Jeanie! :) Oh what a lovely cheerful post! Those flowers are so gorgeous and such a beautiful campus. I love the sculptures too!

Sandra Cox said...

Loved the spring pictures, especially the park bench and goodbye hand;)

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

The MSU campus is gorgeous and I love all the blooms. It's like heaven to me.

Red Rose Alley said...

School Campuses are so beautiful to visit, especially around Spring and Autumn. You can see all the beauty with each season. Sounds like you had a lovely day, and this Campus is really lovely. I love the magnolia trees too, but the white big magnolia blossoms are my favorite. Oh, those mischievous squirrels. Will I ever get used to them? Glad you were able to get out and walk around this Campus, Jeanie. And the memory of you and your cousin visiting her old dorm is one you will always remember. That is a sweet picture of her.

~Sheri

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeanie,

What a lovely walk, the spring blooms are a happy sight. So cheery, I love the magnolia blooms, the sculptures and the pretty koi fish. Beautiful Spring photos. Have a happy new week!

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

Thanks so much for the glorious spring tour of the MSU campus! What a beautiful place...and my favorite time of year!

DUTA said...

Great pictures of a great university campus!
I sometimes hear around me that the campuses are not what they used to be, as the students nowadays are of a lower quality. Well, I really don't know what to say about that. I try to enjoy the beautiful sights of both nature and man-made buildings and exhibits.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

What great photos. That campus must smell wonderful!

Lynne said...

It truly has been a glorious EARLY spring . . .
Your pictures show the campus off beautifully.
Interesting how you are in full bloom just a few hours away.
I looked yesterday for Trillium but none of the leaves are even visible.
Forsythia is just today, in full yellow bloom everywhere!
A mix of early warm, rain and now brighter days sings SPRUNG!
Beautiful post Jeanie!

Prims By The Water said...

I love our flowering trees of Michigan. My redbud and flowering pear are not blooming yet. We must be late this year. Janice

Lowcarb team member said...

Wow Jeanie ... this is such a lovely place to take a walk, especially in the Spring. The magnolia is beautiful, I like the sculptures too.
In fact I enjoyed all of your post :)

Wishing you a good week ahead.

All the best Jan

Karen said...

What a beautiful campus. My sister was missing her beautiful magnolia. When she went to visit her friend who lived next to her former home, she discovered the new owners had cut it down.
The only thing blooming here right now are the crocus but lots of flower bulbs are poking up. I'm looking forward to seeing the tulips that I planted last fall. Just can't remember what type they were so it will be a surprise.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Such beautiful spring blossoms in your area, Jeanie, especially the trees!

We haven't seen many signs of spring besides crocuses and daffodils. In our part of Colorado spring arrives more towards the middle to end of May. In fact, we may get snow showers this week.

Mary Rose's said...

The "especially showy" flower is the Virginia Bluebell (mertensia virginica. I just discovered it for myself this year. It blooms in fabulous bunches underneath the trees along the greenway here in Salem, along the Roanoke River.
I love that it caught your eye too!
Happy Spring, sweetie!

My name is Erika. said...

That is one beautiful university. It is so nice to see it in bloom. We're having an early spring this year too. It is so wonderful, isn't it? Thanks for taking us for a walk through the blooms (both this year and last). It was very enjoyable. Hugs-Erika

Sally Wessely said...

What a beautiful campus! The flowering trees are just stunning. We have nothing like that around here. Magnolia trees do not grow in Colorado. That saucer magnolia is amazing. What a delight it must be to walk on the campus taking in all the beauty, recalling the memories, and noting what was in bloom when from year to year. You do such a good job of chronicling dates, names of things, and structures of interest. Your work should be publishing into a book a given to you alma mater.

I’m noting how things are late here this year. I take note of when things bloom in my journal, or with photo too. We expect snow tomorrow. Ugg. We may never see springtime blossoms, or so it seems.

Thank you for sharing all this loveliness.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Spring really HAS arrived, at least on the campus. It is beautiful and early for you, too. I love those magnolia trees and the big saucer blooms in particular. LOVED the squirrel leaping in action, too. You got some incredible shots, dear Jeanie. So glad you shared these beauties with us.

Linda said...

This is not the first spring trip I have taken with you. I've enjoyed each and every one of them. You have a great eye.

Librarian said...

Hello Jeanie, Here I am for the return visit :-)
I just had a very quick look around, and like what I see! That campus seems like a place I would very much enjoy to go for walks, and I guess if I were president of that uni, I'd choose to live there, too.
Those magnolia trees are gorgeous!

Ruthie said...

What a beautiful post, all those signs of Spring. I feel as though I have just been on a lovely walk with you.

It has been unusually cold here in SW Scotland and we had snow this week! Very unusual, but still the flowers and bulbs are peeping through. I'm longing for some warmer weather so I can get out and work in the garden very soon.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Each season has its appeal, Jeanie, but I think that for many spring would be in first place. That surge of life, birds returning, plants blooming, hormones raging - all of that affirmation of life is hard to beat.

Anca said...

Gorgeous pictures. I love the walk through the campus and that bench is really great too because it's fun and people will notice it.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, what lovely photos, gorgeous flowers and a beautiful campus! The saucer magnolias here are almost done. I like that bench painting, nice to try to educate the students on what is safe. I'll be happy when we can stop worrying about that.

The French Hutch said...

What a lovely walk enjoying springs glorious blooms. We've seen most of our spring blooms come and go and now it's rose season here. My roses have been stunning but seems this year short lived. We've had so many spring storms the rain left more petals than usual on the ground. Here today gone tomorrow so to speak. I enjoyed all your beautiful photos, especially both magnolias, two of my favorites. Like you spring is always a sweet reminder of my mom, lost her on April 22. Thanks for the walk from the beautiful campus............

shoreacres said...

I really like that sculpted gate -- thanks for providing the closeup of the 'foliage'! Our native magnolias differ from yours; the southern magnolia blooms together with the leaves, but the flowers are quite similar to your saucer magnolia. Redbuds weren't plentiful here this year. I think the February freeze nipped the buds, so even though the trees survived, they didn't bloom. No matter; we still had plenty of wisteria and a variety of other fragrant flowers to make up the difference!

Sandra at Maison De Jardin said...

Good morning, Jeanie. I really enjoyed the tour this morning. Spring has come to life a wee bit early, here in the hills also. Last year, after a very warm April we had a killing freeze in May. I hope that doesn't happen again.
The photos of the campus really show how lovely it is and what a wonderful place to walk and enjoy.
Enjoy these lovely days, it won't be long before you will be enjoying your lake.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

We don't have many magnolias in the UK. I do recall spectacular displays when I lived in the South. Here, however, I can only think of ever seeing two! Both ancient. One was on my early Monday morning bus ride back to my digs at art school, the other was at my late mother's care home garden. I am always taken back at the magnificent floral display of a magnolia before the leaves open. This is a good thing, for the leaves might hide the beauty of the blooms!
Thank you for your kind words on my latest blog entry.

~~~Waving~~~Deb in Wales

gigi-hawaii said...

I loved this tour of the MSU campus. So beautiful with the flowers and trees and sculpture.

Barb said...

Thank you for taking me on this beautiful spring walk through MSU. Those magnolias are magnificent.No spring here yet - more snow the next couple days.

Polly said...

Beautiful photos Jeanie. Gorgeous blooms, my cherry tree will be blooming soon. Such a shame that magnolias flower for such a short time, their blooms are exquisite.

Lauren Zaubi said...

Isn't it all so grand!? Your photos really capture the excitement we all feel in the midwest when winter FINALLY seems to have given up and surrendered! Everything is in bloom here and the grass is ready for its first haircut! Thanks for sharing so much spring beauty!

Stevenson Q said...

Oh GORGEOUS!!! And I think they smell nice right? I've always wanted to see Magnolias but I forgot to hunt for them while I was in California. Thank you for sharing these beautiful blooms dear Jeanie!

Hena Tayeb said...

So beautiful. We have a magnolia tree in our backyard. This is the prettiest time of year.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots! The tower intrigues me.

Lisbeth said...

How lovely that spring is here. Just love the magnolias. I am in Austria for the moment and neighbours here also have magnolias. They look amazing.
Wonderful spring pictures. Don't we just long for it and warmer weather. Happy to hear all is well with you, Rick and your family.
Take care and enjoy spring.

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, I so enjoyed my walk around the campus. The magnolias are just stunning as are all the blooms. I know this was a lovely sight after a long winter. Thanks for taking me along!

thepaintedapron.com said...

I think 2021 has been kind to give us all an early spring after being covid weary for a year! Everything seems to be extra green and blooming! I gasp as I look around taking in all the wonderful Spring blossoms! Your pink magnolias are especially beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanie: Isn't spring wonderful?!! The pics of the koi are absolutely beautiful. I have always called those trees, tulip trees. I didn't know they were a form of magnolia. Shows what a gardener I am!..Stay well and Happy Spring my friend..xxoJudy

Divers and Sundry said...

Spring has been later coming than usual here, so it's wonderful to see your magnolia trees and the flowers. The sculptures are striking!

crackercrumblife said...

These are beautiful photos Jeanie!! And I think I can spot some Monstera leaves in that gate. How cool!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Beautiful! You guys are ahead of us a bit. Things are just starting to bloom here. But we got snow the last 2 days - not much and it melted right away. But it’s still sad to see the flakes!!

Sami said...

Beautiful university campus Jeanie.
Magnolias are so beautiful and fragrant.
Lovely statue by the Music building.

Pamela said...

Gorgeous place for a walk. Interesting to see and read about the comparison with last year. The cherry trees here bloomed very early here, maybe record breaking early. I think it was because people need to see them after a dismal year.

Marilyn Miller said...

Love your magnolia pictures so much.
Red buds are here, but I think you may have more there. Ours are just starting to show buds.
Isn't it amazing how some years there is an early spring and sometimes it is late.

Iris Flavia said...

Ohhhh, lovely blooming-pics. Still frickin' cold here, naked trees.
I know, not the point, but... your Cousin´s bag, awww!

Sad bench.... but wish we had that, too. People just don´t get distance!

Ingo found one of our Squirrels. Dead on the street. Nice to see yours so having fun.

Jenny Woolf said...

This is very fine! And so glad your spring has come at last. Our Spring has been cold and although we've had sun, some pretty chilly days have kept the plants back. On Friday we were even getting hailed on! I don't really mind the spring being slow. There is plenty to see and it is always my favourite season of the year, so the slower the better!

French Ethereal said...

Completely glorious, Jeanie!!! I love those large magnolias which look like they have tulip blooms, too. Sooo pretty! I like how you wove all the springs together... A nice photo of your cousin with the story of your mom... Makes each spring a little bittersweet, doesn't it?

Your squirrel buddy looks just like the ones running around here. :) I wish ours ate more of the dropped acorns than they tend to plant... Lol! Happy to feature your post at tonight's Share Your Style #300 for you. <3


Happy springtime hugs,
Barb :)

Popular Posts