Saturday, July 6, 2019

Paris In July: Paris by the Book

My Paris In July entry this week is "Paris by the Book," a novel by Liam Callanan.


In brief, a couple fall in love, share their wishes and dreams about Paris, marry and having children and then the eccentric writer-husband disappears. Clues lead his wife, Leah, to believe Robert is in Paris and she takes the two girls and heads to the City of Lights, where, through a series of quirky serendipties, she opens a bookstore in the Marais.

Of course, Robert could be dead. But the family searches nonetheless, discovering the beautiful city the family loved, seeking clues in two favorite books -- "Madeleine" and "The Red Balloon." And ultimately, does Leah want her husband back or is she a bit relieved to finally have a bit of normalcy in her life?


The book tells of family life in both their American home and their Parisian one through the eyes of a mother with two teen/pre-teen daughters. It celebrates art and film, is romantic but not in a gooey way. The characters evolve through the course of the book and while the ending doesn't really answer all the questions, it also brings a few to mind. It's a book for people who love books and people who love Paris (probably women more than men).


This post is part of Tamara's Paris In July, a month long blog festival of sharing things we all love about France in general and Paris in particular. You can see some posts from my October 2018 visit by clicking on the tab at the top of this page.

(Due to blogger grief and lack of internet for a bit, I won't be replying to comments unless a direct question is asked. Please know how much I love your visits and value being in touch but for a few days things are a little complicated! I might be slow visiting too, but will do my best to keep up!)

39 comments:

Olka said...

I don't know this book. And I'm not sure if I ever read it. I prefer thrillers and criminal the most

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like a great book. Happy weekend, hugs, Valerie

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Going to add this one to my list - Thanks!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm sure it's a great way to celebrate Paris in July, even though I've never heard of the book or the author. Nice review, though.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Sounds like a great book, I will add it to my TBR list. Have a happy day and weekend!

Susie said...

Oh Jeanie, I think I would love to read this book. I wrote the title down to remember it. I will have my daughters looking for it too. LOL I love that you went to Paris . What an amazing trip it had to be. I long to go there...you know before I am in an urn. LOL. Blessings sweet friend, xoxo, Susie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

For me Paris in July would conjure up Le Bois de Boulogne, Les Jardins de Luxembourg, a glass of Chablis at an outdoor café, a sultry evening on the Left Bank - perhaps even a little girl watching.

My name is Erika. said...

Interesting take on a Paris book. It sounds like a good summer read! Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Miss Val's Creations said...

This sounds like a wonderful read! Currently I am working on top 100 lists of books to read. That will keep me busy for a couple of years!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Sounds like a fun read! Thanks for the info.

Carola Bartz said...

I haven't heard of this book (yet), but it seems like something I would enjoy. A bookstore in the Marais - nice!

Thelma said...

Sounds like a great read. Thanks for sharing.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

If Paris is as hot as Michigan in July, I'd be spending it in a hotel suite reading a good book. Maybe this one.

NanaDiana said...

I never knew about this book. That is one thing I love about blog friends- they read things I don't and I get a review!
Happy Saturday night, Jeanie! xo Diana

Evi Erlinda said...

Sounds like a great book, Jeanie. I read some novels and travel guide book about Paris and enjoy them.
Have fun, Jeanie!

Iris Flavia said...

I just watched "Green Book", guess it´s a bit similar.
I am sorry you are in grief. I hope do better soon. xx

Joyful said...

That looks and sounds like a good book and I too will add it to my TBR list. Have an awesome weekend. xx

Pam Richardson said...

Thanks Jeanie, this sounds like a book Imwould enjoy!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jeannie,
Looks like an interesting book!! Thanks so much for visiting! I hope all is well with you???
Hugs,
Deb

Decor To Adore said...

Oh, this sounds like my type of read. Thank you for the review sweet friend. Have a wonderful weekend!

Lisbeth said...

Sounds like a perfect book to start Paris in July! See you there.

DUTA said...

Paris is, sadly, not what she used to be, especially not in july with its waves of heat - but the book sounds intriguing and certainly worth a try.

R's Rue said...

May need to read it.

Prims By The Water said...

I so love books like this. Thanks for sharing! Janice

Tracy said...

What an interesting story! I didn't know about this book either... Always great to have your book reviews, Jeanie! :) ((HUGS))

Friko said...

Sounds like the kind of summer reading I enjoy.
Sorry to hear of your internet grief. May good health be restored soon.

Sandra at Maison De Jardin said...

Jeanie, the book sounds lovely. I would probably enjoy it as I love all things, French. I have never been there, but sure do hope to get there one day. Have a great week!

Sami said...

It sounds like the type of book I would enjoy.
Hope you're feeling better Jeanie.

Danielle L Zecher said...

It sounds like a good book, if for no other reason than the Madeline reference. I haven't thought about that book in forever, but I loved it as a child.

Hena Tayeb said...

Sounds like an interesting read.

William Kendall said...

A book I hadn't heard of before.

Vagabonde said...

This book has a pretty cover. I usually don’t read books on Paris not written by Parisians or French authors as it there are some things that are not authentic, then I lose the story line, cela me gâche l'histoire you see. I have so many books written in French right now that I’d like to read before giving them away, it will take me many years! Lately I am reading the books written by Marcel Pagnol on his childhood, and they are super.

Pam said...

WOW....what a beautiful looking day and looks like you all had a great time. That is awesome.

Bonnie said...

Jeanie, Thanks for the book review. Sounds right down my alley!

Arti said...

An interesting entry to Paris in July. Thanks for your book review, Jeanie. I'm back this year for this fun blogging event. Film reviews, as usual. And I've one that I know you'll enjoy. :)

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I enjoyed this very much. Thank you for sharing it with others.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Oooh, this sounds like the perfect book for me! Adding it to my request list at the library!

Lisbeth said...

That is an interesting and unusual story. Now I have to read it, just to know if; one - she finds her husband, and two - does she want him back?

Lowcarb team member said...

Sounds like a good book :)

All the best Jan

Popular Posts