Friday, March 24, 2017

Let's Make an Easter Banner

Now that I've settled back from vacation, I'm getting into spring decorating mode! It's one of my favorite seasons to deck the halls because the colors are so fresh and lively -- and in Michigan, we need that! So before I left, I did a little crafting -- making an Easter Banner!


I started out with banner templates (Michael's -- on sale for $2.95) and went through my pile of papers -- scrapbook, wallpaper and some larger decorative sheets, cutting out triangles using the template and gluing them together. Then I punched holes in the tops.


I made the "medallion" by pleating this pretty multi-colored crepe paper (an old Dollar Tree find!). I stapled the first half of the crimping and then made a line of glue along the inside (crimping) edge and finished up.


Then using wallet-sized printouts from my online images collections (mostly from old Easter postcards), I cut circles which I trimmed down to better fit the medallion and glued them together.


What a pretty bunch of triangles!


I finished them off by adding a button at the point.


After arranging them by color and design, I added a pale blue ribbon from my stash to tie them together, leaving a long tail for hanging.


I run the ribbon through the back, up through the hole on one side so it is now on the front; knot it on the front and then put the long ribbon back through the hole -- and up through the hole of the next banner flag. Then knot, back through the hole to the back of that piece and up through the hole on the other side of the same piece, knot, through the hole and attach the next one.

OR you can knot in front and connect to the next banner triangle from the front. If you look at the two photos of completed banners below you'll see the difference of how they look depending on how you string them.


It sounds confusing but you really get a rhythm after the first! And there you have it -- a cheerful banner to get the season started!

Strung connecting the triangles from the front

If you want, you can go to town with glitter and more ribbons (I actually think I'll add a couple more ribbons to the ends of both of the banners I made), use other embellishments to glitz it up, depending on your theme!

Strung connecting the triangles from the back.
(Now it's time to get out the nests, bunnies and Easter Egg tree! Well, as you can see, one is already out!)


This post will link to Share Your Cup, Monday Social, Share Your Style and Pink Saturday as the links become available.

36 comments:

Deb said...

Absolutely adorable, Jeanie.

Valerie-Jael said...

What a wonderful idea, so pretty and original. You always have the best ideas and definitely the best food! Hugs, Valerie

Stacey said...

This is just adorable! I love the fun colors.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Absolutely fabulous tutorial, and step by step instructions, Jeanie. I'm in awe of that crepe paper you found. It and the images really make this project. GREAT JOB and lovely decorating, too.

Mae Travels said...

You are so right: we need color!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love banners and have a perfect place to display them. I'll have to get busy and get crafty! Thanks for sharing your how to tips. Hugs, Diane

The Artful Diva said...

You have the best ideas!

My name is Erika. said...

Wow Jeanie- that looks so fresh and spring! Your banner came out gorgeous! I am glad you shared. Hugs-Erika

Anonymous said...

Jeanie, I love your Easter Banner! So adorable! Happy Pink Saturday!

Gina

Bella Rum said...

You are the most clever person I know. I love it. I never decorate much at Easter. I don't know why, but I wanted to do something this year. I couldn't find much. I'm not so crafty anymore. I did pull out a ceramic rabbit that I made many years ago. That was about it. Next year will be different. Oh, and Porch Pup! I did adorn him. Love this blog.

Marilyn Miller said...

All I can say is "Wow"! What a fun Easter/Spring decoration. My banner is much simpler, but I love yours.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That is so cute! You are so crafty! What a fun way to make your home more festive. Also I just love your fireplace!

Lynne said...

Well then . . . isn't that banner cheery, sweet, pretty, springy . . .
Thanks for the tutorial . . .
Bring on springtime . . .

Joanne Huffman said...

I love banners and your Easter banner is delightful.

Lisbeth said...

Lovely! I just love these colours. Makes you happy. 😀

shoreacres said...

Sometimes I feel as though you live in an entirely different world, and sometimes I'm sure of it. It's a well-decorated world -- no question about that! I've never hung a banner in my life, and I certainly never have made one, but this is so cute, and far more creative than most I've seen. You seem to be an endless source of neat ideas -- amazing!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Jeanie, you are making me smile!!!!!!!!! I love this! I will make a small one for our mantles. Love this so much!

The French Hutch said...

Jeanie, this is lovely. i love the pretty Easter/Spring cards you used, the colors are gorgeous. Your mantle is so Spring festive, just what I need to get a few things out. Thanks for the tutorial. Have a great Saturday....

Rita C at Panoply said...

How cute, Jeanie! In a couple years, your grand will love seeing that banner out for Easter, pointing and saying words like bunny, wabbit. :)

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Oh, I love Easter! That is a sweet banner you created! -Jenn

JillO said...

A gray, rainy day today. Just in time for some bright Easter cheer. Your banners are so cute...now I'm off to get our decorations out and to brighten up the house.

La Table De Nana said...

Listen to me.:"THAT'S ADORABLE"!!
Love the crepe multi and everything else:)♥

Rebecca said...

So cute and colorful! Thanks for sharing!!

Happy Pink Saturday and Chippy White Cottage Blessings,
Rebecca

Jenny Woolf said...

What a wonderful idea, Jeanie! I would never have thought of that but it is really beautiful and creates a lovely bright eye catcher for Spring! It is the kind of thing I would love to do myself, but most of the time I don't get around to it - however, I do make cards for family members though and whenever I do, I wonder why I don't do it more often.
Enjoy the colours of Spring as they appear outside, too - as they will - even in Michigan!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

It's just darling Jeanie! That crepe paper is so unusual. I've never seen any like it. Love the images! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Painting the hamptons said...

What a beautiful banner!

Red Rose Alley said...

That is so creative, Jeanie. Love all the variety of colors you used. It looks very nice draping from your fireplace. I didn't realize you liked to decorate for Easter so much because you go all out when you decorate for Christmas. This really looks great, Jeanie. You did a great job on it. I used to do craft projects all the time, and I think it's time for one. : )

Have a lovely Sunday.

~Sheri

our life in france said...

What a lovely idea, yes we do need colour after the dull months of winter, this would be a lovely project to brighten a gazebo too x

Sarah F said...

Cute idea! I'm not very talented or crafty, lol, but I definitely think I could do this and make it cute like yours turned out. Thanks for sharing! I followed you on GFC and would love if you'd follow me back when you get a chance!

xo, Sarah
http://www.hustlababy09.blogspot.com

I need orange said...

Makes me smile!!! :-) Beautiful combinations and lovely result. Love that multi-colored crepe paper!

Good work. :-)

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, I love your DIY spring banner with all its color. It looks beautiful!

Tracy said...

Sooo sweet and festive!! LOVE the "rainbow" crepe paper medallions to highlight each little vignette! I like your different ideas for how to use the ribbon. I rather like the knots and how they add an extra decorative touch when seen from the front. You are soooo good at these things, Jeanie! :) ((HUGS))

thepaintedapron.com said...

This is so sweet Jeannie! The cutest Easter banner I've ever seen!
Jenna

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I love all your decorations. Love the pic of the sweet baby in the nest. The banner is positively darling. Have a wonderful week!

Katie Mansfield said...

Thanks for sharing at Monday Social. This is darling. I am so inspired. Stop back on Sunday to find yourself featured.

Barbara said...

Your banner is quite lovely. I like how you matched the colours and buttons and it looks great hung up.

Popular Posts