Wednesday, December 11, 2013

December Road Trip

And we're OFF! Off on a December Road Trip that took us to Nashville and Mississippi! While I hate to be away from home in December, we sure had fun! Our route took us through Indiana and Kentucky.
The spirit of the season was present!
Rick, of course had to ride...
...so I took a turn in the historic museum of Munfordville, KY.
I'm not sure the person working there has many visitors and she was delighted to have someone to talk with. So was I!
Here I learned that Kentucky was a divided state in the Civil War and that indeed, brothers did fight brothers.
Nashville was next. First the trade show...
Then a wonderful meet-up with blogger Rosemary and her husband. Rosemary was one of the first of about three or four from my original Google art group that encouraged me to blog! It was the best time!
Once the show wrapped, we enjoyed the honky-tons on Broadway in Nashville.
I loved the lights of the city -- even though it was pouring rain!
And the music was pretty good, too! We spent a lot of time listening to this great group.
No matter where you walked, what window you peered in, there was music. Non-stop!
The next day, with threats of ice storms imminent, we took off for Mississippi to see Rick's youngest, Kevin. We missed the ice but drove through torrential rain.
Kevin lives in Laurel, MS. The town has definitely seen better days, bringing an irony to their slogan.
But the Christmas parade was just what we needed!
I think everyone in the county was on a flat bed (all the queens were in the backs of convertibles.)
Of course there were elves. They had to be a little cold (but not as cold as the cheerleaders!)
It was bitter cold and windy. This guy may have been the warmest.
I especially loved the horse brigade. Here, a spectator hands his child up to ride on one of the horses.
Laurel had a great gift shop and some nice spots that had so much potential. If only the businesses hadn't moved out to strip malls on the highway.
It was fun seeing my guys together. Note, there are leaves on the trees! We haven't had those in Michigan for awhile.
After a great BBQ lunch, we headed back home where Kevin made us jalapeno poppers and other good snacks. (We ordered pizza, too, but we couldn't get a large because Domino's had run out of "large dough." I guess combining two mediums to make a large wasn't in the manual.)
Then we settled in for the MSU/Ohio State game! And it was "victory for MSU," just as the fight song says! (Although there were a few trying moments!)
On our last day we went to nearby Hattiesburg where we enjoyed a brew and great food at the Keg & Barrel. A fun time, despite the rain!

We're home now, up to our eyebrows in shopping, wrapping and finishing up the decorating. I just love this fa la la time of year!
Let the merriment continue!
And let the angels sing!

26 comments:

Jeanie said...

From honky tonks to small town Christmas parades....quite a trip.
I'm glad you had such a great time and are home safe and filled with the spirit of the season.

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

I love the variety of your trip -- from the honky tonks to the weather events and taste of a small town, parades and all! The pictures are so great!! Thanks for taking us along! I'm so glad you had such a great time! Are you settled in now for a Christmas season at home? (Am so looking forward to all those pictures!)

beth said...

FUN!!!
we used to live in indiana and love love love kentucky and nashville :)

Rosa said...

I love all your pictures! It was wonderful seeing you; sorry about the weather that hit you. Ugh. So nice finally meeting Rick! Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas! Love ya!

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Oh Jeanie, what fun! Thank you so much for taking me along with such beautiful photos!
blessings,
Penny

I need orange said...

Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for taking us along. :-)

Mary said...

Road trips are the best! Love all of your photos. Brilliant every one. So much going, and so festive! Glad you enjoyed. :)

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

You experienced such variety! I enjoyed seeing the photos and hearing about your trip. Love that spinning wheel. I love to see people spinning, and I hope the skill continues to get passed down.

Kitty said...

Such a fun trip. But have you ever had a dull one? I think you could tak the worst of situations and find the sunshine in it. So fun to see all your pictures and share in your memories. Sorry we didn't take all the sting out of the weather when it went thru here, but we tried. Were iced in for 4 days!

Mae Travels said...

Sounds as if you had really good luck avoiding the worst of the storms. Small-town parades are so appealing -- great photos!

Joanne Huffman said...

It looks like a fun trip, full of warmth, despite the cold weather.

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Oh Jeanie, you are such a dear.
Your visits are always welcome, and I love you read your comments.
Thank you so much, I am so happy you enjoyed her.
blessings
Penny

Mary Rose's said...

Well, Hattiesburg is lovely any time of the year, but in the back of my mind I felt sure that you and Rick were headed back to Paris ...

Welcome home!

Shane Pollard said...

Hello dear Jeanie
Your 'road trip' posts are my way of seeing the States, so long may they continue!!!
You won't believe - I've been back at work this week - my old boss called me in!!!
So not a lot of Christmas hooha this week - I'm so tired at night after a full day! LOL!

Sending much love and friendship
Shane XOX

paris parfait said...

Despite the rain, looks like you made the most of your trip! So glad it went well and you got to spend precious time with family and friends.

Bella Rum said...

OMG! Those jalapeno poppers look delicious.

I've never been to Nashville. My sister told us that we should go.

The elves are cute. Love their striped tights.

Glad you're back home and can enjoy decorating and preparing for the big day.

shoreacres said...

Oh, my gosh! You were so close - wish I'd known. I would have made a run over just for a cup of coffee!

The trip looks wonderful, despite the weather. I'm so glad you didn't get caught in the ice - you truly did slip north between systems. One of my friends in Dallas was off work for four days.

I know you're deep into the season by now. I'm so proud - I've got my tree and other decorations up already. It feels like Christmas this year - maybe because of the cold weather.

Enjoy all the festivities to come!

Arti said...

I'm sure you'll have more fun on a trip than staying home. And what an interesting find in the historic museum of Munfordville, KY: a Chinese fan. Have a wonderful trip, Jeanie!

~*~Patty S said...

such fun traveling with you Jeanie...so much to see and enjoy thru your eyes!

fa la laa
oxo

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a GREAT Trip, my dear....! And what fun to see all the Christmas Decor in other places, PLUS all the wonderful costumes, etc.,in that parade....! AND to get home in time to celebrate your own Holiday decorating....! It all looks very very pretty.

Tracy said...


What a FUN trip, Jeanie! You got around! And met a friends... so lovely! :o) So much enjoyed this "diary" of your travels.. LOVE the angel image at the end! Happy Holidays, my friend See you in blogland when we get back! ((HUGS))

The Old Parsonage said...

Your smiles say it all! So glad that you had a wonderful trip. The streets do look so festive and I'll bet just being there toe tapping or singing along was great!

Glad that you got to visit with Kevin - family time is the best.

Have fun with your fa la la la la's!

Leann

Linda Jo said...

What a great trip! Had you ever been to Mississippi before? Or Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee? Our leaves are just now turning colors! Sooo pretty! Glad you are back home safe and sound!

Jenny Woolf said...

A fantastic trip! When I saw the faded coca cola ad, I remembered that Coca Cola is generally held to be the inventor of Santa as we know him.

Those snacks look wonderful. As for the dough, yes, it's strange how little things can turn into big problems for some people, isn't it? I bet if they'd been at home, they'd have combined the dough to make a big pizza, but it might be something to do with the rules Made me smile anyway :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Sounds like a wonderful road trip! I am glad that you were able to avoid the awful ice storms that plagued a big part of the area! We missed it here in Charlotte as well and just had rain luckily. I haven't been to Nashville but am hoping to make it there while I live in Charlotte.

Sally Wessely said...

What fun. This trip had it all.

Popular Posts