Monday, December 23, 2013

Autobiography in (Faux) Fir

We all have different ways of telling our own story. For some, it's in words, in others, pictures. I tell mine on my Christmas tree. For example, the turkey at the top is a little unconventional. But it is a reminder of my love of puppetry, my friend Andrew and doing (good) time in MSU's theater department!
Yes, there are ornaments on the tree that I just bought because I liked, but many represent some facet of my life. This one is the oldest ornament on my tree, from my grandparents' tree.
And this is one of a number from my parents' tree. (When you're an only child, you don't have to fight over the Christmas ornaments!)
This Shiny Brite is one of those golden oldies, too. A winter wonderland! The tiny Shiny Brite is from my other grandmother's tree and the egg with the skating scene inside was given to me by my high school friend Lisa, many moons ago,
The tree tells of our travels -- Paris and Japan...
...London and Canada (and so many more!) The framed photo on the left keeps my dad, uncle and cousins with me, a reminder of the first set of holidays after our mothers died.
It reminds me of my past -- this one was from my college friend Jerry as part of a flower arrangement from when I got beaned on the head moving a theater flat while we were on tour and had the first of a few concussions!
This I made with my friend Michele when we were in about fourth grade! I still remember sitting on the floor in their house with satin balls and sequins and felt! (It started at an early age!)
The ornaments reflect the people close to me. You saw Dad above -- here is Mom, tucked in with Vegas memories!

Of course we remember the feline members of the family each year -- Stimpy...
...and Gypsy.
He gets a lot of coverage because he lived here longer!
Like I said, he's well represented! (This year I have to add a Lizzie or two!)
 
I have a small but very special collection of Christopher Radko ornaments from my friend Lin.
This one reminds me of our trip to the tree farm last week!
 
My personal interests are on the tree -- wine (a Cork Poppers exchange gift!) and theater (this was a gift from my late friend Patricia, whom I've written about here on the Marmelade Gypsy before.)
And of course the blog world is represented a number of times, most recently with this pretty bird by Joanne.
There are so many more. It is truly a walk through my life.
I think all of  us have our styles -- formal, less formal, downright eclectic. And they are all beautiful and express who we are or what we love. This one is me!
I wonder what I'll add from this year's ice storm and topsy turvy Christmas for next year?

Merry Christmas from me (and Rick, too!)

21 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your story tree...so special. I buy a new ornament for my kids so they have a start for their tree when they leave home, HAPPY XMAS Jeanie xxx

Jeanie said...

Your tree is beautiful, Jeanie. I know each memory on it is precious to you. I also love the memories that the decorations on my tree bring back each year.

Mae Travels said...

You really got all the ice you could, if I'm interpreting your blog photos right. Is that why it's a weird Christmas? All those ornaments don't look weird at all.

I hope you have lots of fun despite the disruptions and poor Comcast service.

Willow said...

Aw I am loving your Christmas trees' story telling !
Happy Holidays to you my friend.
Willow

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

What a beautiful tree, and it's made more beautiful with all the memory-filled ornaments. Thank you for sharing the stories behind some of them.

Have a Merry Christmas! Peace and joy to you and your family. :-)

The Old Parsonage said...

What a tree full of memories. Love it and the meaning that they hold for you. Is that real popcorn? Mr Op and I used to string it when we first got married and only had a few ornies.

That brought back memories for me - thanks!

Merry Christmas sweet friend!!

xo

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I love all of your ornaments and how they tell the story of your life. I received 2 new ornaments this year - one is a replica of a passport, the other is a french macaron. So both are very fitting for me :) I also have a growing collection of Paris ornaments (some of which I received from you!). And my tree topper is a glittery Eiffel Tower, which I LOVE!!

Joanne Huffman said...

I love that your tree is full of memories and remembrances from friends. And, it was fun to see my bird :). I'm struggling with the concept of cards this year - don't know if I'll get to them; so, let me wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy and Healthy New Year.

Mary said...

What a wonderful tree! And such marvelous ornaments and stories! Love this post, Jeanie. Just love it! Merry Christmas!

paris parfait said...

It's wonderful to have so many ornaments with special memories - a microcosm of your life! Happy, happy holidays to you and Rick, Jeanie! Hope it's a Christmas to remember! xx

My Grama's Soul said...

Such a wonderful post.....it is so very special when our trees tell OUR story not just full of the latest and great ornaments. Beautiful my friend.

xo

Jo

Marilyn Miller said...

Your tree is beautiful and so full of memories. I don't have any from my mother, but I do have the first we started collecting after getting married. I love walking down memory lane each year as I bring the ornaments out. What treasures! The little picture framed pictures are a great idea too.

Bella Rum said...

Jeanie, this was such a special post. You really know how to do Christmas. All of your trees are beautiful and reflect part of you.

I remember making those egg ornaments. I'd forgotten all about it until I saw the one your friend gave you. I can't believe it survived all these years. You must store it carefully.

Stay warm and take care.

Bella Rum said...

Jeanie, this was such a special post. You really know how to do Christmas. All of your trees are beautiful and reflect part of you.

I remember making those egg ornaments. I'd forgotten all about it until I saw the one your friend gave you. I can't believe it survived all these years. You must store it carefully.

Stay warm and take care.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Such an amazing tree, my dear Jeanie. I love that your tree is your life..A Beautiful way to decorate---it is all so very meaningful and so very gorgeous, too! I wish you and Rick and all your loved ones, a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS, my dear!

Please forgive me for not answering your email---I have been overwhelmed with "life" and all the stresses and strains that come with illness--which I know, you understand....So, please do forgive me,my dear....

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

Merry Christmas to you and Rick, too, Jeanie! I absolutely LOVE your tree! It's so great to hear about all the history in the tree that so add to to its beauty!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanie! Oh, I love a tree filled with memories more than those fancy themed trees. You have some great decorations. I'm wishing you and your family a blessed Christmas,
Shelia ;)

Arti said...

What a lovely way to tell your life story, Jeanie! A Merry Christmas to you and your family, and a bright new 2014!

Stefanie said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
This is a colorful tree, Jeanie!
I'm impressed by all those different ornaments. This is wonderful and I thought, maybe we can do next year an ornament exchange?
I had one a few years ago and received an colorful. german volkswagen ornament....how fun!

Wish you a wonderful time, Jeanie!

I need orange said...

A totally perfect tree. :-)

You and I are exactly on the same page as to our criteria for ornament selection. :-)

Sally Wessely said...

Thank you for the tour of your tree. I loved hearing all the stories. My tree holds special memories also. I love thinking of the times and people that the decorations bring to mind. I also love to hear the stories about the ornaments on other people's trees.

Popular Posts