Sunday, January 28, 2018

Altered Candy Boxes -- A DIY Tutorial

Many moons ago, I made Rick a little candy box for Valentine's Day. It was pretty cute, but I'm better now! In sore need of a crafternoon, I made up a model to share for a relatively quick project. Here's the finished piece. Let's get started!


Supplies include papers of your choice (origami and scrapbook papers are pretty!), glue stick, glue gun or other favorite glue, scissors, ribbons or lace or both, embellishments that could include cut outs, buttons, flowers, and a heart-shaped candy box. A Xyron X-box is useful but not required.


(I bought loads of candy boxes after Valentine's Day one year for about 25 or 50 cents each but I saw the small ones at Target the other day for a dollar. Size is up to you. To be honest, I think the candy in them is pretty so-so and I'd recommend filling them with M&Ms or some homemade treat!)

First, remove the candy or insides from the box. You can save the tray if you plan to refill it (I used M&Ms so discarded it). The paper heart can serve as a template for your inside liner.


Draw around the top and bottom of the box on your paper (I know I don't have to tell you to turn it upside down but I will on the off chance your third grader is reading this.)


Cut it out -- you don't need to be exact here. Better to make it a little large than cut too closely to the line. Glue it on with your glue stick (a dryer glue like a glue stick is better here) and then trim.


Also trace around the paper heart from inside the box and cut out the heart that will be your box liner. Glue this to the bottom of the box.



Then put your box back together. It will either have a top that closes to the bottom like this or one where the top meets the bottom half way. This determines the ribbon you will want to use on the side of your box. I was able to use a wider ribbon but you may need two pieces of one that is thinner.

I love my Xyron X-Box for ribbon. You just put it through and it comes out sticky. But if you don't have one, I would use either a very strong doublestick tape (like the red tape) or a fabric glue.


Attach the ribbon to the box. You want the ribbon to be flush to the box (that little end sticking up was glued down when I "came around.") Be extra careful when coming to the indentation around the top. Use something like a butter knife or scissor blades to be sure the ribbon attached all the way into the groove.


If you are using lace on the edges of the box, that's next. Using your glue gun, work slowly around the top and/or bottom edges of the box attaching your lace a bit at a time. Be careful around corners -- you may need to cut in and do the corners by pieces, which is easy, just annoying because it would be easier to do it in one piece.

When it's done it will look like this and that's boring! Time for the fun part.


Play around with what you want on the top. (You probably did a bit of this when you were choosing your papers initially.) Consider buttons, cut outs, even fun three-dimensional objects. I did this one kind of foo-foo but you could go streamlined with game pieces, scrabble tiles, Cracker Jack prizes, doll house bits or other things that fit your Valentine.


If you are working with a paper cut out, you might want to mount it on card stock or watercolor paper with your glue stick to ensure that it is sturdy.

 
Place them around your box to "audition" them. When you are satisfied start putting them down with your glue gun or the firm adhesive of your choice. E-6000 is good too.


I did mine in about an hour. The longest part was picking what to use. The second longest part was getting the lace around the edge of the box. Making selections is mandatory. Lace is optional! Voila!



That concludes the tutorial portion of this post! Below are images you can save and print for your own projects. Click on the photos to enlarge and right click to save on your computer.













48 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a gorgeous project, and thanks for the lovely images, too. Have a great, new week, hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This was a fun tutorial. I really appreciate the time it took you to create this. Thanks, too for the images. You might see some in black and white on my blog one of these days. Thanks again.

Sami said...

A wonderful way to re-purpose a nice box Jeanie, thanks for the project instructions.

Tracy said...

This is such a pretty idea and a wonderful tutorial, Jeanie... and thank you for the lovely images to play with!! I love re-suing things in ways like this. I wonder what I could do with that plastic tray..??? ;) ((HUGS))

My name is Erika. said...

What a great idea to pick up those little boxes and decorate them. You're right- I can't image $1 candy is much good, but buying it for the box is a genius idea. Thanks for showing us your technique, and I do love your romantic finished box. The 14th will be here in no time. Wow. Time is sure flying. Hugs-Erika

eileeninmd said...

Hello, what a cute craft project for Valentine's. The boxes are so cute. Thanks for sharing. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I'm guessing a craft store is one of your happy places Jeanie! That's a super tutorial. -Jenn

Tristan Robin said...

Delightful little boxes!
I think you're being too kind stating the candy in those cheap boxes is so-so ... it's positively dreadful. LOL It's not even SWEET. LOL
Thank you for sharing your treasure chest of vintage Valentine images - absolutely charming.
I hope I have time this year to make *something* for Valentine's Day! You've inspired me!

Sketchbook Wandering said...

Very pretty results! Great tutorial, Bravo!! So well described and laid out and inspirational! I think hearts are the best shape for decorating, every since about 2nd grade!

Sketchbook Wandering said...

PS Thanks for showing the X Box. Is the glue pretty durable? These new gizmo's and gadgets are pretty amazing!

Joanne Huffman said...

Fun tutorial - cute project.

La Table De Nana said...

So cute Jeanie! I like that xbox too!!:)

La Table De Nana said...

Hi again Jeanie..curiosity got the best of moi and I Googled..the apparatus you are showing us..is it the whole thing or a cratridge?:)Thank you!

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Jeanie!
Love this project and your tutorial is great. These boxes of love turned out so, so pretty!
Happy Monday,
Jemma

Deb said...

What a great idea, Jeanie. I have to agree about the so-so chocolates so filling them with home-made treats is a great suggestion.

Mae Travels said...

Your projects are so creative and come out so pretty!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

What a fun project! This is the project you'll work on when you host friends for a crafternoon soon, right? If so you'll have to share photos of your friends' creations. I love seeing what others come up with! What a fun and festive craft!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Super idea and so pretty!

Silver in AZ said...

very cute!!!

The French Hutch said...

Hi Jeanie, Great tutorial and sweet project. Thanks for the darling valentines. Such a sweet gift you made for Rick.....Have a wonderful wee,.

Mary K. said...

Love the heart craft Jeanie. You used so many pretty papers. And I know that I too would spend most of my time trying to decide what to put on it. Sometimes its the thoughts that take up most of our time. I can have a project in my mind for months before actually starting on it.

William Kendall said...

Well done! Very creative.

Sally Wessely said...

So cute. Rick is lucky to have you as his Valentine!

Barbara Windle said...

These boxes are so cute. I could see me taking the chocolates out, eating them, and then fill the boxes with the buttons. Ha Ha. It would be really nice to fill the box with some nice hand-made truffles or some other little treasures. Good idea and thanks for sharing, Jeanie.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I've always loved these Valentine candy boxes, and you made some cute creative ones with buttons, ribbon, and vintage cards. My sister introduced me to the vintage holiday cards many years ago, and ever since then, I was hooked. Thank you for sharing these vintage images. I just love the fifth girl in blue. What a fun project you're working on, Jeanie.

~Sheri

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, how beautiful and so special for someone you love. The tutorial was easy to follow and being a non crafter, I can do this. Thank you for sharing! Happy Tuesday!

R's Rue said...

Love.

Ricki Treleaven said...

This is a great project! My girls would enjoy it even at their ages (and me, too). I enjoyed seeing the vintage Valentines. They are so much fun! Thanks for the tutorial!

Katie Mansfield said...

Thanks for the printables. So cute. I have an empty heart shaped box in front of me ready for some embellishment.
Thanks for the inspiration and for linking up to Keep In Touch.

Kirsten Steen said...

How cute is that! Thanks so much for your visit. And Happy Almost February to you! Cannot wait for spring! (And I know what you mean about too many books in the stack.)
Xoxo

Anonymous said...

What a great tutorial ! I only wish I was as talented as you, you have the nicest way of decorating seasonally !

Marilyn Miller said...

Curious? Has Rick saved all the boxes you have made for him? I love the boxes. Thanks for the tutorial.

Snap said...

Thanks for the wonderful images! Love the tutorial. Valentine is just around the corner. My Christmas is finally down -- just in time! Ha!

BeachGypsy said...

You do a great job on those! I'm not surprised, you are so crafty! I do remember covering shoe boxes with papers and then decorating them for the Valentines Day class party in elementery school. We stuck on ribbons, foil hearts, candy hearts, bits of lace, doilies, pictures cut from magazines, etc. They were then liberally "sprinkled" with chunky glitter. It sure was fun and those sloppy glue masterpieces were carried home with such pride to show our families. The boxes would be stuffed with all our little valentines from classmates.

handmade by amalia said...

What a sweet project, must have been a lot of fun to make.
Amalia
xo

roughterrain crane said...

Great. You made a lovely handmade gift.

thepaintedapron.com said...

What a sweet idea!! Very reminiscent of the old fashioned Valentines! Cute cute Jeanie!

Toni said...

How fun! What a talent you have!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Beautiful creation you made. I'm a big lover of vintage prints and your's are adorable.

Danielle L Zecher said...

It's very pretty! I'm also impressed with how creative you are.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jeanie,
I love how your heart candy box came out!! I did something similar using velvet boxes that I bought after Valentine's Day on Clearance for 75% off.....Love yours done in pink!!!
Hugs,
Debbie

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Me again!! For got to say Thanks so much for stopping by!!
Hugs,
Deb

Polly said...

This is a gorgeous project Jeanie, thank you for the tutorial :-)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Jeanie, altering boxes is so much fun. I love how yours turned out! You have such talent. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Lynne said...

Great tutorial . . .
Lovely Valentine Box . . .
Sweet . . . Jeanie . . .
(Thank you for the lovely images!)

Beverly said...

Jeanie, this is beautiful!!! Happy Pink Saturday, my sweet friend. Thank you for sharing, and for always making Pink Saturdays special.

This post is being featured on my Pink Saturday post this week as "the one that caught my eye".♥♥♥

Kathy said...

Thank you so much for the vintage images; I am a cardmaker and want to do more vignettes with vintage cards. I enjoyed your tutorial for making the box and thought of several kinds of candy I'd fill them with. Very enjoyable!

Unknown said...

Great idea!The box is full of romantic style!DIY box making tutorial.

Popular Posts