Thursday, December 11, 2014

Checking that List....for books!

Several blog and writer friends have had new offerings just in time for the holiday season. I wanted to take a minute to recommend several.


First, Dr. Kathy McCoy's "Purr Therapy" is guaranteed to win your heart. If you read Kathy's wonderful blog, you know that she had a long-standing therapy practice and like many therapists, her clients covered a wide range of issues. Some were especially challenging -- until a serendipitous accident brought her cats Timmy and Marina into her practice.

PURR THERAPY IS HERE!

You can't get much more heartwarming than rescued cats who help rescue the hearts of others, nor can you weep many more tears than when you learn of their stories -- the stories of the clients and of the cats themselves.

Kathy is a delightful writer, never preachy but with grace sharing many of the lessons that Timmy and Marina brought her way. They're lessons from which we can all benefit.

Many of my earliest blog connections were made through Becca Rowan, whose Write on Wednesday series brought like-minded writers from around the country together to share their thoughts on the art, craft and work of writing.



Her new book, Reflections on Life in General, is a compilation drawn from more than 4,000 blog posts over the past seven years. The essays tell the story of the life of a 21st century woman, thoughts of family, home, reading and writing. They are shared stories, eloquently told, that one can relate to with the grace in which Becca delivers them.

The final offering is a series by Richard Lassin-Simkin. While he is not a biographer, he is a longtime friend-and-practically-family member who decided several years ago he wanted to write and has since penned several novels.



The Matchstick Trilogy consists of three books, "Forgiven," "Matchstick" and "Lost." Characters continue from book to book -- the historical "Forgiven" (set post-Civil War) and the contemporary sequels, although you might find they take a different form as the books evolve. If you enjoy fiction, these might be your cup of tea!

Now, you know I can't be totally objective. All three of these writers are very dear to me. But trust me, if I hadn't read and enjoyed these myself, I couldn't encourage you to do the same. All are available at Amazon.com and you can link to their pages from this post's links. (I believe Richard's are available only on Kindle at this time.)

Happy Shopping!

7 comments:

Barb said...

Jeanie, I always like book recommendations. Hope you're having fun! (and feel better)

Marilyn Miller said...

How fun to know all three authors. The last series particularly sounds intriguing.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I WISH I could just sit for at least five hours straight, no interruptions (that includes nodding off!) and just READ. In between while my students were quietly testing, I picked up a book on the desk in the classroom and started to devour the words on the page of an old French text. I got chills and thrills to just read.

May your season be filled with stories to change your life sweet Jeanie! Anita

Joanne Huffman said...

Book reviews and recommendations always welcome.

Introverted Art said...

Purr Therapy sounds like one of those feel good books that one must read!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That is so cool that you know several authors! That's not something I can say! I should tell Phil about the Purr Therapy book as I think his mom would like it (and he probably would as well).

O-town Ramblings said...

Hi Jeannie. Thank you for the recommendations. I happen to be in between books and need something to occupy my time as I'm home the next several weeks recovering from back surgery.

I hope all is well with you. I have weeks of blog reading to catch up on so I'm very out of touch with the blogosphere right now, but I hope to be caught up soon.

Popular Posts