Monday, October 5, 2026

The Heart Knows: Experiences in the ER

Well, it was quite a week or two! I'm healing well from the dental surgery, and thanks for your support. I still can't eat popcorn or seedy things (I miss my granola and certain breadsticks with lots of seeds!) but it's healing well. 

 

Some of you know I had a 14-hour ER visit on Sunday night/Monday morning. I went into Afib -- considerably higher (and then way lower) than usual and was a little worried. We thought Sunday night wouldn't be bad. Think again! 

 

They immediately did an EKG (I guess that's probably pretty standard for people coming in with a heart-related issue), did blood work and then it was to the waiting room, where I swear no one moved out of their chair for at least five hours. And I mean not even to go into the main part of the ER (where the docs are). (This is a screenshot of my GOOD EKG, done the following day.)

Rick took me in at 7 and at 8, I sent him home. No point in his staying and I had a long book I'd just started (and a phone that I couldn't charge with only 25 percent battery left). At 11:30 I called and asked if he could bring the computer and another book, as I'd nearly finished the first. Books helped but time moved so slowly!

 

At 4 a.m., they put me in a room, did more blood, more tests, loaded me with fluids and potassium and five hours later, somewhat regulated, sent me home. Needless to say, I don't think I'd been awake that many hours in decades, and yet when I got home I couldn't sleep! But so glad to be home!

 

I spent most of that day dealing with my now-dead phone, trying to find out the mechanics of transferring data to a new phone. Thank goodness Rick still has a landline for work and loaned me his phone to make a cardio appointment for the next day (all had regulated and I was fine!). 

 

Also saw the cardio doc on Tuesday and got a pretty good report with some strategies if I go back into afib (which I have). Then I went looking for phones but couldn't find one -- they were all pay as you go or you had to get their plan. So, I ordered one that arrived on Thursday. Back in business.

I have to say I was so giddy about a good report on Tuesday from the doc that on my way home I stopped at Trader Joe's. The always-friendly staff was as friendly as usual. My checker asked how my day was and I said "Just great! I spent 14 hours in the ER over the weekend but today my doc gave me a good bill of health! I'm elated." I thought he would say "That's great, I'm so happy for you!" And he did. He also gave me these.


(And this is yet another reason I love Trader Joe's. It's not just the food; it's the people.)

But there were unexpected fun things this week, too. Rick asked me to come to his guitar lesson with our friend Onur, then visit another friend in assisted living. While I was waiting and reading during his lesson, the loveliest monarch came by and I couldn't resist photos!

 

Then, Onur made us lunch! It was fabulous -- skirt steak, kale salad, bread. Four star and a total surprise!

 

I'm headed to the lake this week, probably for the last time, on Tuesday (I hope). (Turns out on Sunday, our toilet and water trouble was back and the shower is having trouble draining, so hoping that another visit from Rocky the Plumber will get to it.) I have a feeling it may be something more extensive than just one clog. I don't even dare do the dishes in the full dishwasher. Rick's cooking tonight and tomorrow! Otherwise, it's paper plates for me. And, I also went into afib again -- no ER this time, though! But I still need to follow up with both the cardio guy and the dentist.

Once I get north, Rick will join me at the end of the week and we'll stay for about a week or a little more. Until Rick arrives, I'll be working around the cottage, hopefully walking and volunteering in the office of the Otsego County Democrats. When it's time to return, I'll be bringing back a load. This was my car when we came home last year. I expect something similar. 

 

I'm hoping to see some bright color. I hope it looks like this! It's my favorite road to walk!

 

Or this, which was taken last October. 

 

 I'll be there during peak color so fingers are crossed!

39 comments:

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Oh my, you've been through it, haven't you? Well, it sounds like you're doing well now and that's great! I hope you have beautiful colours to see when you finish with the cottage. Our colours are just now coming through. I love this time of year! -Jenn

Acorn Hollow said...

I am so very sorry for your health issues. I do hope they figure it out soon for you.
Our colors are beautiful now.
Cathy

Christine said...

So glad you are better now Jeanie, both the teeth and the heart.

bobbie said...

Jeanie ~ I so wish I could have been there w/ you with my nurse-y cap on! Please be very gentle with yourself ~
Big hugs ~ bobbie

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I can't believe they did an EKG then sent you to the waiting room for five hours without any treatment!! OMG!!!! So glad you came through it OK. Those fall colors from last year are stunning. I hope you get something similar to lift your spirits this year.

gz said...

The last trip this year already!!

Take care with that AF

Pamela said...

Nothing is dull around you! I hope you have an uneventful time at the lake with gorgeous autumn colors the whole time.

Tom said...

I'm glad that you are healing. Enjoy your last hurrah of the 2026 at the lake. Take care and be well.

Carol On The Lake said...

I'm so sad you've had all this heart trouble. I'm keeping you in my prayers. I have loads of health issues but thankfully they don't include afib. My mother had heart issues. She'd get upset and have chest pains and put a tab under her tongue. I have loads of pills but not that. God bless!

Lisa's Yarns said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your rough ER experience! I'm glad you got a clean bill of health from your cardiologist but how stressful to go into Afib again! Gah! Keep us posted on next steps...

I thought of your gorgeous fall colors yesterday when I took the boys for a hike at a state park about an hour southeast of Minneapolis. The leaves are just starting to turn so we didn't see vibrant colors but it was still pretty. We started off at a waterfall that was just a trickle unfortunately. The boys didn't even realize it was a 'waterfall' and asked when we'd get to the waterfall when we were 30 minutes past it... I'll have to take them back when we aren't in a horrible drought. :(

DeniseinVA said...

Oh wow, you have certainly been through it Jeanie. Enjoy your trip back to the lake and sending a big hug for all that you have been through. May the rest of the month be filled with many blessings.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

AFs are very scary. Don had them and so did every male members of his family. But I hear tell they have better treatments for the condition now than they did back a decade when Don as alive. I hope you've concerned getting a life alert button so you're not totally dependent on your phone if you have another.

DVArtist said...

OMGosh what an ordeal. That long in the ER. I complain about my small town but our hospital is excellent and there is never a wait, AND no one gets sent back to the waiting room after an eval. I'm glad you are better. MR. M. has afib too. He had his heart shocked and all was well for about a week. His PC sent a note to the cardiologist but we haven't heard a word. The problem is Mr. M. doesn't feel it. Anyway, I hope it is all under control for you now. It's so nice when someone cooks for you. Skirt steak dinner yummm. Sorry about the plumbing problems again. Wow these photos are eye boggling. We don't get autumn change like that here.

Miss Merry said...

Oh gosh, what a long visit to the ER. I remember taking one of my children and when we got there we went straight to a room. Then they moved us to the lobby while ambulances started to arrive. There was a series of traffic accidents and some ambulances with critical heart patients. I think we sat over four hours before we eventually got back to a room. We all totally understand that the most serious illness and injury must go first. But why do we all decide to have things happen at once, lol!
Glad you are doing better and your doctors are keeping an eye on you.

The Happy Whisk said...

Woohoo on the good bill of health. That is wonderful and wow, wow, wow about Trader Joe's giving you flowers. How freakin' sweet is that.

Nicole said...

Oh wow, I am SO glad you're okay! What a great attitude you have, Jeanie. We should all have such an outlook on life. And the checker at TJ's??? That is so wonderful. People can be so lovely. I hope you see all the fall colours and feel well!

Anvilcloud said...

What an ordeal. I am surprised that you are going north on your own for awhile, but I am pretty sure that you know what you are doing. Stay strong. Be well.

Boud said...

I felt tired and anxious just reading about your ordeal. I'm glad you're okay for now though. And just when you didn't need them, plumbing problems yet again, gah. Always something.

Bill said...

Hope the Afib is taken care of and you don't have a repeat of your last experience. I had Afib since 2012 an had no serious problems. Wishing you a nice stress free week.

Diana said...

Glad to read the cardiologist's report was good and that you're feeling better. Having the phone die on top of everything sounds like a hassle too. Hope the lake brings you lots of colour and a calm week.

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Oh, my goodness, that sounds scary, Jeanie! Thank God you are OK now, but please take care of yourself and follow all of your cardiologist's instructions. That photograph that you took of the Monarch is gorgeous, and would make a great subject for one of your paintings. Those landscape pictures are glorious too, and you can see the miracle of God's creation. Blessings, my friend!

Marilyn Miller said...

Oh ER can be so exasperating. Sorry you are having to deal with afib. I had to do a bit of that, but avoided ER right before my trip to France. Your fall colors are gorgeous. Good luck closing up the cabin for the winter.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Jeanie, I do my best to avoid ER....like the plague! :( I hope you continue to heal and feel better, dear friend. Your photos are gorgeous! And the cat meme with "I do not want to adult today" made me laugh! LOL!
I wish you all the best, always!

Joanne said...

Oh my goodness; I am so sorry to hear everything you've been through! I hope you find some lovely colors up at the lake and that you can get the plumbing issues all cleared up.

My name is Erika. said...

I hope you don't freeze and you get lots of relaxation. And your a-fib gets under control. And there will be lots of color for you. Enjoy and take care. It sounds like you could use it. hugs-Erika

Gill - That British Woman said...

goodness me you have been through it. I am glad things have cleared up. Enjoy your time at the cabin.

anno said...

These recent afib episodes sound scary... and very unsettling. As does your experience at the ER. I suppose it's possible that your EKG and blood work didn't indicate anything immediately threatening, but if that was the case, it would have been nice to have someone tell you that. Glad you had some good books to keep you company, and I'm glad your cardio doc gave you some strategies for managing these episodes -- I hope you don't have to use them soon.

Also... what beautiful flowers! Trader Joe's is truly an amazing place! And the dinner your friend prepared sounded wonderful!

Enjoy your next trip to the cottage! Wishing you clear blue skies and brilliant color! (And good health, too, dear friend.)

Veronica Lee said...

14 hours in the ER sounds draining, but I’m so glad your cardiologist gave you a good report afterward.
It’s wonderful that you still found joy in small kindnesses -- like the Trader Joe’s checker and that monarch butterfly.
Wishing you calm days at the lake, smooth plumbing fixes, and plenty of autumn color to lift your spirits.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Jeanie, what an ordeal you went through. Glad to hear you were given a clean bill of health. Those flowers gifted to you at Trader Joe are really beautiful. Hope you are on the mend and fell well. Enjoy your time at the lake.

Lorrie said...

So glad that all is well with your heart. That ER visit was really something! How kind of the Trader Joe employee to give you the bouquet of flowers.

The last photo of the colour at the lake is STUNNING! I hope you get to enjoy that same scene this year. Hopefully you'll be able to relax and not work too much there.

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, wow you have been through so much. Fourteen hours in ER is horrendous. I am so happy you received a good report. Rest and enjoy your last visit to the lake. But take care of yourself, I am glad you have a new phone. I hope you see beautiful color!

Joyful said...

Glorious colour in those trees. I hope you'll see that when you next get out to the lake. It will be a gift to you for all you've had to go through lately. I'm happy that you got a great report after the ER scare.xx

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, shoot what an ER-visit!!! But how nice of the staff to present you with flowers! And yay for good, food, company and one more visit - hope the technical stuff gets done!

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeanie,
I am just glad you are ok, it seems all ER visits are long.
Having a book to read does help pass the time.
The flowers were a nice surprise! Have fun at the lake and I hope the colors are gorgeous. Take good care of yourself. Have a great day and week ahead.

nicole orriens said...

Wow, that must have been so scary! First the dental stuff and then the health scare and having to go to the ER . I'm glad everything turned out alright. Phew.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Old age and health do seem to go together, don’t they? But good news on your heart, Jeanie. The cottage is a wonderful way to enjoy summer but schlepping all the stuff to and fro must get to be a bit of a chore. And getting old doesn’t make that any easier, does it?

Alexandra said...

That's too much you have had to deal with recently! What came into your life to brighten it up when you needed it is so sweet like that butterfly and the Trader Joe's employee. Wishing you calmer and brighter days ahead packed with beautiful autumn colours!

La Table De Nana said...

Oh my gosh your plate is full.Glad you are feeling better.ER anywhere seems to be overflowing..:(. Take care Jeanie.

Nancy said...

Oh my goodness! You have too much going on. I pray your afib gets controlled. The calming colors and your happy cottage should help you.
Take good care and you are in my prayers.🙏

Popular Posts