Sunday, December 3, 2023

November: A Pitiful Reading Month!

 Well, for those of you who say I read a lot of books in a month -- well, that's anything but the case! In Novmber I finished one book. Lots of reasons for not reading -- and no excuses!

 

"This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage" by Ann Patchett

This collection of essays is by one of my favorite authors. It's not my personal favorite of her works (including her essays -- her "These Precious Days" was one of my favorite books of 2023). But there are many small gems in this one and, as many essay collections work, each one may resonate differently with each reader.

The book contains 22 essays, all of which have been previously published. Patchett, as her fans know, has often written for other publications including The Atlantic, New York Times and The New Yorker, among others. However, they were all new to me. 

And, as with most essay collections, some resonate deeply; some not so much.

She leads off with "How to Read a Christmas Story," a warm reflection on her father's reading of a Christmas story on the phone to her from across the country and the impact that had on young woman, now living far from her father with her mother and step-family.

Many of the essays revolve around writing and books, as we learn about Patchett's personal journey as a writer, which began at a very young age. She wanted to write from the time she was a child and through her eyes we follow experiences at writer workshops and her graduate work, "meeting" some of her mentors and inspirations. Another fascinating piece focuses on how she was received with protests and book banning back in the 1990s when invited to speak at a Southern university on her book "Truth and Beauty," about her friendship with author/poet Lucy Grealy. Also included is her speech to freshmen at the university about the book and writing, which was required reading for new students. It should be required reading for all people. I only wish I could have heard her oral delivery.

Patchett is the co-owner of Parnassus book store in Nashville and another essay highlights how the store began, while still another tells of her love affair with her dog, Rose. And yes, she writes of her relationships as well, as the title explains -- including a memorable trip in an RV to Yosemite with the man who is now her husband. 

The collection follows Patchett's evolution -- as writer, as seeker of information, as daughter, granddaughter, as the life partner of her husband, a man she once said she would never marry, and ultimately, as a human being. And while I don't know if that was part of her "plan" in organizing and writing the essays, all of which were done over about two decades and for different publications, one can sense the growth in this woman over time as she discovers new things, new people and ultimately, herself.

All in all, if you enjoy essays, you may well love this book. I still loved her "These Precious Days" more -- but then, as I mentioned, different essays hit different people in different ways. Patchett's writing is always delicious to savor and there is much to enjoy here. 

34 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Not a writer I am familiar with, Jeanie, and a I doubt I will get to her any time soon, but I have made a note of her name. Oh, the joy of books!

Tom said...

...being dyslexic every mouth is pitiful for me. Happy reading to you.

DUTA said...


I think I would love to read her essays. The topics sound like 'my cup of tea'

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeanie,

I rarely drift away from my favorite mystery books. I will add this one and your favorite The Precious Days to my reading list. Take care, have a wonderful week!

Boud said...

I'm very familiar with Patchett, and, for sheer physical courage, little matches that presentation she made on Truth and Beauty, unprotected, on a stage in front of a large audience, after death threats. That essay, really also about moral courage, is a star. As was she, to refuse to back down.

She's one of the few writers whose fiction and essays are equally powerful. There are others who write much better essays than fiction, names withheld to protect the guilty!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I like the format of this book as you describe it. And I'm happy you shared the fact that you do have months where your reading accomplishments don't put me to shame.

My name is Erika. said...

I have come to really love Ann Patchett's work the more I read it. I read Bel Canto long ago, and then lost track of her for a few volumes until I read State of Wonder. I'm interested in these and her other essays, which I should check out.Thanks for sharing them Jeanie. And At least you read a book. One is better than none, and sometimes life is more than reading. Right? Happy new wek. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

I really like Patchett’s fiction as well as Truth and Beauty, but haven’t read essay collections (some in the periodicals where they first appeared). You make it sound quite interesting. Good luck with December reading if you have any time at all!


best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeanie, :=)

I have never read any of Pratchett's books, and don't fancy the essays, but will look out for her other books because after your glowing description of her work in your other posts I may like her work. Thank you for the review.
All the best.
Sonjia.

Bill said...

She is new to me but my wife has read a few of her books and likes her. We all have months like these when reading slows almost to a stop. :) Have a good month of December.

Steve Reed said...

The only Ann Patchett book I've ever read is "Bel Canto," which I loved. I should try her essays.

Divers and Sundry said...

I used to live Ann Patchett and have read several of her books but not this one. Sounds good.

DeniseinVA said...

I always enjoy looking at your book shares Jeanie, thank you!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Like others who have commented, I too have never read any of Ann Patchett's books and to be honest she is not on a future reading list right now, but then perhaps one day. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book of essays, Jeanie.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I have to admit that I am not a reader of fiction. My preference is biographies and historical fiction and short essays. I have never read anything by Ann Patchett but you have certainly sparked my interest in ths book. Thanks for the review.

Marilyn Miller said...

I do remember you reviewing Ann in the past and I said I needed to explore her writing. Well I will say it again.I need to explore Ann Patchett. She sounds fascinating.

Sami said...

I don't think I've ever read her books.

shoreacres said...

I'm a great fan of essays, but haven't heard of Patchett. I'll give this one a try. It sounds interesting, particularly those devoted in one way or another to writing. I've been thinking about my own process since realizing the first draft of the post I just put up on The Task at Hand was done in 2009!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I adore Patchett. I have read this but didn't remember much about it until reading this post. It sparked memories of it but I don't think that book will stay with me like These Precious Days will!

Some months are like this. You had a busy time with family and peddling your wares, etc!

Rita said...

Another author I know I read in college (early 2000s) but I can't remember the title of what we read...only remembered I liked her.
Sometimes we don't have the time to do what we really enjoy and love for various reasons. You most certainly won't stop reading--lol! ;)

Regina said...

My November reading was pitiful too. I finished just one book so I'm hoping to see an improvement in December.

This N That said...

Sometimes life just takes over and steals your down time...Have a good week..

DVArtist said...

Glad you make it a point to read. My eyes are shot and so audio books are my way now. Have a nice day.

Lowcarb team member said...

I have not read any of Pratchett's books.

At the moment I am reading a very light-hearted Christmas Book a friend gave me ... 'Christmas In Peppercorn Street' for me it's a nice light, enjoyable December read.

All the best Jan

Hena Tayeb said...

I still haven't gotten around to reading anything by her. But I have to of her book on my library wishlist and hope to get around to reading something by her soon.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jeanie,
Thanks so much for all your visits and kind words...It has been a busy 2 weeks so I am far behind in my visits!! I am always amazed at all the reading you do get done...I need to make more time to read...A goal of mine next year...
Hugs,
Deb

Lisbeth said...

Ah, Patchett again. I just have to get around to read one of her books. I like the sound of this one and will look for it. I have marked Tom Lake on my Nextory app, so will start with that one.

Enjoy your December reading. I am curious what you come up with. Although, as we all know, December has a lot of other activities to deal with.

Jenny Woolf said...

People so often say Ann Patchett is a favourite author, but I haven't yet got around to reading any of her books. I should - it sounds as if I'd like her. I like the idea of short pieces to start so I will look out for this book.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Jeanie, I haven't read much lately either, too busy going through old Christmas decorating magazines. She sounds like an interesting author and will add her name to my list..Happy Holidays to you..xxoJudy

Jenn Jilks said...

There is always next month!

Pam Richardson said...

Thank you, as always for your interesting reviews. I have never read one of her books or essays. I hope to get back to reading soon. I have really missed it!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Patchett is one of my favorite writers. It's her essays that I love best of all her writing, I think. I'd love to visit her bookstore one day.

Carola Bartz said...

I like Ann Patchett's books, but have never read her essays. My favorite still is Bel Canto which was also the first novel I read by her. Tom Lake will be the next one.
Sometimes there just isn't much time for reading. That's life. There will be other times when you will read so much more. Have you ever considered listening to audiobooks? I do that when I knit, and it gives a novel a completely new "feel". I do have to like the voice of the narrator, and if I think a narrator doesn't do a good job, I stop listening to it. But a good narrator can put a lot of life into a book.

anno said...

So glad to see you enjoying Ann Patchett. Even second-tier Patchett is so much better than a lot of what one finds on the shelf... as you said, there are always nuggets of gold *somewhere* in her work.

I wonder, though, how much one's opinion of one of her works depends on the order in which you read it. I read this collection before These Precious Days, and then, when I first started TPD, I wasn't sure I'd finish it because it seemed so much less than This is the Story of a Happy Marriage. Of course, I felt differently after I got past the first couple of essays in TPD, but it took awhile.

Thanks for the review!

Popular Posts