Monday, November 13, 2023

October Books

I don't know how I managed to get in five books in October. They include a novel I loved, a travel book I didn't like at all, and three mysteries, including a marvelous "outing" with those divinely odd detectives, Bryan and May.

"Tom Lake" by Ann Patchett 

 


If ever there was a book written about things I love, it would be "Tom Lake." In her most recent novel, Ann Patchett visits the world of theatre, Thornton Wilder and yes, Michigan sweet cherries, the kind I buy and devour gluttonously every summer. 

Set in the summer of 2020, the Nelsons -- Lara and Joe -- own a cherry farm in the Traverse City area where each year they grow and pick sweet and tart cherries, and later, apples. But in 2020, their seasonal workers, feeling the effects of Covid quarantines, are fewer. Their two college-age daughters are home, helping in the orchard, while the third is also present, planning one day to take over when her parents retire.  

It is as they pick the cherries that the girls ask their mother to tell them about how she once played Emily in Thornton Wilder's "Our Town," first in high school, then college, and then (after a brief stint in Hollywood) at a Michigan summer stock company in the (fictional) town of Tom Lake. But what they really want to hear is about her relationship with Peter Duke, an actor in the company who later became an Oscar-winning actor and one of their favorites.

Lara weaves the story from her high school days and accidental casting as "Emily" in a community theatre production and through the Tom Lake days, when she and Duke had a brief but passionate love affair. But one day it all goes wrong, changing Lara's life trajectory in ways that could only be described as fortuitous.

Patchett builds strong characters -- the three girls, now young women and yearning to know more about their mother and her life before the family; Lara's loving husband Joe, who adds his own stories about Peter Duke; Duke himself, cocky, handsome, and talented; and Lara -- who shares the past with her daughters -- but not all of it. 

And with those characters, this book is about relationships -- Lara's with her family as well as Duke and another company member, Pallace; Duke and his older brother, Sebastian; Joe's relationship with his aunt and uncle, from whom he eventually takes over the farm; and the relationship we have with the past. We edit our own stories as we tell them. Some things are for public consumption; others remain private, for one soul only.

I love that this book was set during the pandemic. It's not often mentioned -- Lara makes masks for their fruit stand; a farm family nigh finds families watching a movie on a screen outdoors, sitting on blankets well spaced; daughter Maisie is eager to return to her classes at Michigan State, tired of her online classes; and of course the worker shortage means more work for the family. It is in deep contrast to the life at Tom Lake, decades before, where audiences crowded the theatre and between rehearsals, the company, which shared communal housing, would gather at the beach for swims. 

I love Patchett's writing --  I always have. But this might be my favorite of her books. Maybe it's because of the play. Or the cherries. Or that sense of identification. Or maybe because it's just a darned good book.

"Final Acts" edited by Martin Edwards



I'm not normally a fan of short stories but how could I resist a collection of short stories from the British Library Crime Classics series? With writers like Ngaio Marsh, Dorothy L. Sayers, Bernard J. Farmer and Julian Symons, I knew at least four of the stories would be good ones -- and, as it turned out, most of them were well worth the time.

 All the stories are set in the theatrical world where often (at least in these cases) the offstage drama was more exciting than that onstage. A clown with magic tricks makes his wife disappear -- for good. An understudy finds a way to take over the leading role. Spurned suitors and glamorous actors, all can have murder in mind

If you enjoy short stories, mysteries and the theatre, this might be an enjoyable book for you!

"Neither Here Nor There" by Bill Bryson

 


I have rarely, if ever, found a travel book I didn't like. Until  now.

I had high hopes for this book that follows the author on his travels through Europe in the 1990s. It sounded great-- he would visit Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, France, Spain and more  and I might be reminded of places I'd love and those I'd like to learn about. I'd heard he was a humor writer as well, so surely this would be delightful.

During the first few chapters I realized something important. I really didn't like Bill Bryson. I don't mean Bill Bryson the author (although I do actually mean that, too.) I mean I didn't like Bill Bryson, the person. He is snarky, mean spirited, brutally sarcastic and continually finding fault with everything. And if he's not, then he's doing a fine job of disguising it. I'm sure he must have redeeming qualities but he certainly doesn't show them in this book. (Maybe he's just trying to be funny, but this technique failed for me.)

As I pondered this, debating whether or not to put it down (and yet, there were only 70 pages to go) I realized that the reason he appeared to be having such a bad time on his journey was due in large part to himself. If he'd actually planned his trip -- even a little --  he might have been able to find a hotel room instead of wandering from place to place in the wee hours. He may have realized that certain attractions aren't open on Sunday. He would have learned a few food names in the various languages he might need to know so he wouldn't end up ordering bad food. For that matter, he might have packed a snack in his bag before getting on a train, hungry, with no dining car and a long trip. 

Granted, he was trying to recreate a trip made long ago, with his friend Katz. But things change, and travel definitely changes. And he wasn't a young man anymore.

The only thing this guy had to complain apart, for the most part, was himself. But of course, that never happened. In addition, he peppered his story with his infantile reminiscences of his trip with the obnoxious Katz. Every time he launched into a Katz story, which was often, or yet another puerile fantasy, I skipped over paragraphs. Or a page. Or two. (Which is probably how I got to only 70 pages left.)

Don't get me wrong. There were moments in the book where I chuckled. After all, I like somewhat sarcastic, exaggerated, overplayed, deadpan humor. It can be a great way of making a point or telling a story. Defamation by exaggeration can be fun, funny and useful. In fact, one of my favorite bloggers does it so well, I look forward to every post that Mike of A Bit About Britain writes. This is because Mike is not mean-spirited, he's funny. Most of all, he provides plenty of valuable information about interesting places in an entertaining way. Whenever I read Mike's blog, my list of places in England I'd like to visit gets a little longer.

And there were segments in Bryson's book that were particularly interesting. He clearly loves museums and his comments are quite thoughtful, as are his observations of the people in the various countries he visits, particularly in Yugoslavia and Bulgaria

This book was just too much.complaining and not enough information. "Neither Here Nor There" could have just as been easily titled "Neither Good Nor Bad." It all depends on what you want in a book. I got it from a Little Free Library. It should go back there.

"The Memory of Blood" by Christopher Fowler

 


It has been far too long since I read one of the fun and fascinating "Bryant and May" books by Christopher Fowler. But I picked a wonderful one to reacquaint myself with two of my favorite detectives!

For those unfamiliar with Fowler's series about these two eccentric detectives (and I recommend you become familiar with them!) Arthur Bryant and John May are two senior citizen detectives who work for London's Peculiar Crime Unit, which tends to pick up cases where someone of prominence or cases where public safety is severely endangered. This time they return to the world of theatre when the child of a producer whose West End play has just opened, was thrown from the window of their high-rise apartment. Oddly enough, the perpetrator appears to be the pupped Punch, from the Punch and Judy puppet shows.

Because a government official's daughter is a potential suspect, having been present at the cast party where the event happened, the PCU is called in. It's right up Arthur Bryant's alley -- a fan of all things historical and theatrical (among other idiosyncracies) he sees a relationship to the Punch character and the way the child died. His suspicions seem confirmed when the plays director is found dead with a doll of another Punch character close at hand. 

Fowler presents a clever mystery with engaging characters (in addition to Bryant and May, readers become acquainted with their equally offbeat colleagues), a clever setting and loads of history about the Punch and Judy tradition as well as other aspects of  Victoriana. 

You don't need to read the Bryant and May series in order to fully enjoy the books. The first chapter, written as a 'memo' describing the PCU and its employees tells you all you need to know to instantly fall into the books.

"Fatal Pursuit," by Martin Walker

 


In the next book of the "Bruno Chief of Police" series, our local policeman in the village of St. Denis is on the trail of two cases that may be related. Set during the town's car festival, which includes a classic car parade and a race, one case involves the murder of a researcher; the other, a racing car enthusiast who may be involved in a money laundering scheme feeding the profits to terrorism.

Bruno is suspicious when what appears to be a heart attack of a man doing research about a missing Bugatti auto is more than it seems when he realizes certain things have been stolen from his office, despite his wallet being full. Two of the persons of interest are the wealthy Sylvestre who has been searching for the Bugatti, which has roots going back to WWII. Also of interest is Sylvestre's friend, Freddy, a slightly shady character and a whiz of a race car driver.

Meanwhile, Bruno takes a teenager accused of shoplifting under his wing, finding him a job with his former romantic interest, Pamela, at her riding school. Felix has a passion for both horses and cars and could be a clue to the Bugatti's fate.

Without Pamela or Isabelle, his former colleague and soul mate who now works in the Hague, Bruno is available for a new relationship and may find it with Sylvestre's  cousin, Martine. Or, could she be a suspect in either the first murder or the second? And,when Freddy and Sylvestre come under the investigative eye of Isabelle for funneling money for terrorism, could Bruno find his heart divided?

As always, the charm of the French village and the wonderful essence of French country cooking, as  demonstrated by Bruno, is reason enough to enjoy these books. The fact that the mysteries are good ones is almost secondary!

47 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Great reviews! I have to try a Bryant and May book.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I've had Tom Lake on my to-read list for some time. I'll have to move it up!

My name is Erika. said...

You've been busy writing 2 book posts so close to each other Jeanie. Tom Lake is just an amazing novel, isn't it? Patchett has really come into her own with this book as well as the Dutch House. And funny, I usually love Bill Bryson, although I must say a couple of his books I could get through. One of them was his walk around England, which I can't remember the name of. I'm not sure if I read this one, or perhaps it was one I couldn't get through. I don't think he really is having a bad time on his trips; I think he is just poking fun at things in a curmudgeonly way. I don't think his books would be as good if he talked about how wonderful everything is. But, the good thing about books is we can all have our own opinions, and it is always enlightening to see how others feel about them. Sometimes it's even eye opening because we all focus in on what means the most to us and so to read what others think makes you think about something in the book from another perspective. I do enjoy reading about your book choices though. Happy new week. hugs-Erika

R's Rue said...

Too bad you didn’t like the travel book. Happy new week.

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting. I read a "Down Under" by Bill Bryson and enjoyed it! Maybe he was in a bad mood writing this one?
If I don´t like a book I put it down...

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I have to admit I am not much of a reader anymore. Mostly because I'm watching so much Netflix. I enjoyed your reviews. I usually read biographies and historical fiction.

Anvilcloud said...

You read a lot.

I have read and enjoyed Bryson in the past: A Walk in the Woods, Sunburnt Country, the one about English etc. I think he has a quirky, humourous schtick, but I might be wrong, annd he might have changed.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jeanie

Looks like some more great mysteries to add to my reading list. Christopher Fowler is new to, I hope I can find this series. The Bruno is a new one for me too. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

Boud said...

I so agree about the whining Bryson, such a tedious guy.
However, Bryant and May are endlessly funny and readable, highly recommended.
I'm in the middle of Dark Vineyard by Martin Walker. I do like Bruno, his adventures and his food. I wonder if his books make people want to go to Perigord, the way books featuring Provence encouraged tourists there? The food, definitely, the caves, if they're open, hm.

Valerie-Jael said...

gLAD YOU ENJOYED MOST OF YOUR BOOKS: bRYANT AND mAY ARE GREAT! Oooops, sorry, Meine Finger are not behaving welll today! Hugs, Valerie

Sue in Suffolk said...

I tried Bryant and May stories a long time ago and they were a fail, I tried the Martin Walker and found they repeat themselves too much, I tried Bill Bryson and found a couple OK and others dreadful!
Not doing too well with your list!
But I have enjoyed all the BLCC collections of short stories so not all bad and thank heavens I'm never short of other books to read!

Jenn Jilks said...

Really well done! It is the season for reading.
We're just having a snow storm.

NGS said...

I have to agree that Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods and In a Sunburnt Country are the best travel books I have ever read. I don't know if I ever read Neither Here Nor There, though.

Rita said...

I know I would like the Patchett book as I loved her when I have read her before in college a couple of decades ago--lol! I enjoy mysteries, too. I always love reading your reviews. :)

Bill said...

It's too bad you didn't like Bill Bryson. I read his first few books and enjoyed them but haven't read his latest stuff. Have a nice week, Jeanie.

Divers and Sundry said...

I've read several by Patchett and enjoyed them.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I'm not really a short story person - I like my stories a little longer please. Bill Bryson doesn't sound like someone I would enjoy, but you do have a nice assortment this month.

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, your book reviews are always fascinating. Tom Lake sounds like one that I would enjoy! Wishing you lovely week!

Marilyn Miller said...

The first book indeed sounds like it was written for you. I might just enjoy it too. I have been reading too many books that take place during WWII - help I need a break and this one might just do it.

DUTA said...

A novel about relationships is always attractive and addictive!
Here, in 'Tom Lake', there's also a cherry orchard which is 'the raisin on the cake'.
No doubt, you're a great reviewer, Jeanie! Each of your reviews is a gem of writing style, opinions, suggestions, recommandations.

Joyful said...

More great book reviews. I think the Ann Patchett books appeals to me. Thanks for giving us great insight into all of the books.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I thought the Ann Patchett book was lovely, too. I tried to get to hear her speak at the Texas Book Festival last weekend, but the line was almost completely around the block when I arrived and the venue was already filled.

Arti said...

I’m in line for Tom Lake at our public library. Glad to hear it’s a good one.

Cloudia said...

Thanks for these interesting reviews! Aloha!

Rain said...

I always enjoy your book reviews, thanks Jeanie! ♥

Hena Tayeb said...

I haven't read any of Patchett's books yet and there are on my list. Glad you liked Tom Lake.

This N That said...

So you actually finish a book you don't like!!! I have to like a book from the first chapter or it doesn't get read...As you might remember, I don't read anyway!!

Arti said...

O and one more thing: you must read Barbra Streisand’s memoir My Name Is Barbra. You’ll love it as you’re so fond of the theatre.

Priscilla King said...

I liked Bryson and Katz in "A Walk in the Woods" and hope you're overreacting--that his goodhumored snark has not deteriorated into the sort of peevishness we associate with old people who can't seem to enjoy anything as it is any more, because they keep complaining that it's not what it was. He deserves not to have aged that badly, that early. Had Katz died? Was Bryson grieving?

Since Serena's endorsed Pure Life bottled water, it's been delivered by a cheerful grandfatherly deliveryman who looks like Santa Claus without the North Pole padding. Up to this past month. I live on a road that's maintained to keep out traffic. Deliveryman has been getting a kick out of being able to drive on it..but now his mechanic is ill. When talking about the mechanic the deliveryman has shed real tears. There are other mechanics nearby, but he's obviously bonded with this one as a person. Observing this, I realize that, with complete respect to his marriage to one of my second cousins, I care about the deliveryman as a person too. I want him to feel better. I want his mechanic to feel better. I spend time praying for his mechanic and I wouldn't know the man's face on the street.

If Bryson's turned into a grumpy old man, I hope that's all that's going on--that it's temporary!

Pamela said...

Whenever I read your book posts, I think I should read more. I often listen to audio books as I stitch, but it’s not the same as a book in the hand. Thanks for your monthly reviews!

Jenny Woolf said...

I don't know if I have ever read Neither Here Nor There. I have noticed a great change in humour in the UK in recent years. I think a certain kind of humor is out of sync with the times now.

Steve Reed said...

I think I read "Neither Here nor There," and although I like Bryson and his writing, I know what you mean -- he can go overboard with the complaining. I had a similar reaction to his book "The Road to Little Dribbling," which is a followup to "Notes from a Small Island." While "Notes" was a charming, funny book, "Dribbling" seemed mean-spirited in places.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeanie :=)

The only author I know from your review is Bill Bryson. I read two of his travel books quite a few years ago, before my eyesight got worse, and found them to be both humerus and witty.
"Notes from a Small Island" was the first book I read, written 20 years ago, and then "The Road to Little Dibbling" both about Briton, which is his adopted country. He writes about the best and worst about Briton, and I enjoyed reading both these books. Perhaps his style has altered over the years,but please give him another chance by reading his first book, which made be howl with laughter.

Lisbeth said...

Another good reading month it seems. Patchett's book keep popping up, and it is on my list to read as well. I have not read any of her books, but she seems to be a favourite of many.

gigi-hawaii said...

Sorry but I gotta laugh at your portrait of Bill Bryson. What a put down! Man,
it must have been very disappointing to read that book, especially because the prospect of travelling through Europe sounded so appealing. Ah, well, maybe he was just in a sour mood.

DeniseinVA said...

Another wonderful selection Jeanie. A lot of good reading here. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

What a great selection.
"Tom Lake" is on my list.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Jeanie, first let me say that I always enjoy your very detailed book reviews. I have been reading quite a lot of books this year and always looking for the next good read. The Bryant & May series sounds like it might be on my winter reading list. I would enjoy Final Acts, if available in the local library, which unfortunately the British Mystery books are not. As for Bill Bryson, I think you might be right on with your review and this latest work will not be on my "to read" list. I did try one of the Martin Walker books but it wasn't to my liking but apparently a very popular series as the Kindle books are always on hold.

Naomi said...

Great reviews, Jeanie! I wrote them all down so I can look for them at the library! You might remember me as a friend of Cheryl Rice. My name is Naomi Shelton and Cheryl and I were in photography classes "quite a few" years ago! I enjoyed your post and will be back to read more!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Jeanie, the books sound great. I have told you about my reading habits and they still haven't changed but you make yours sound very interesting..Happy Wednesday..xxoJudy

anno said...

I'm so glad you finally found time to enjoy the Ann Patchett novel -- it's definitely one of my favorites... so buoyant! And yet, her depiction of living/loving/working with people who are suffering from mental illness/addiction, while never overworked, provides some tension that keeps the story from becoming sentimental or trite. I loved it!

And thanks for the pointer to the Christopher Fowler books -- these look like a lot of fun!

Pam said...

So hoping that my life settles down soon so that I can start reading again. Finding good books without having books stack up in the house is not easy anymore. I don't like reading on line, I like actually love holding the book to read.

Joanne said...

Such a bummer about Bryson's book; I really enjoyed his Walk in the Woods book so much so that I read various snippets out loud to my kids. BUT I have tried others of his and haven't enjoyed them nearly as much... maybe because hiking and complaining do seem to go hand in hand in my world. I mean I LOVE to hike but at the same time my favorite parts of the hike are when it's over and when I'm stopping to see something pretty.

Carola Bartz said...

I always enjoy your book reviews, Jeanie. Ann Patchett is a wonderful novelist - I haven't read "Tom Lake" yet, but it is on my list. I loved "Dutch House" and especially "Bel Canto". Now, Bill Bryson - I tend to agree with you. I read a couple of his books and I didn't find him that humorous or interesting, actually I thought him quite boring from time to time. Perhaps I don't "get" his kind of humor. I like Martin Walker's Bruno stories, but I haven't read one in a long time.

Lowcarb team member said...

Another excellent book review post, always good to read your thoughts.
Here's to your November book review in a few weeks time :)

All the best Jan

crackercrumblife said...

Yes!!! I am so glad you loved Tom Lake. It was such a perfect book.

And I like Bill Bryson, but I dislike that book for the same reasons you do. I liked the book about his original trip, but that one just didn't do it for me at all either.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I have found that I don't care for Bryson. Some of his books worked better than others but I didn't love the ones I have read so I have given up on him!

I liked Tom Lake, too. I did not love it as much as you did but it was still a great book. I had not read or seen Our Town. I can see how being familiar with the source material makes it an even better reading experience. I knew nothing about Our Town but still really enjoyed the book! Patchett is my favorite author!!

Popular Posts