Wednesday, June 21, 2023

The Books of May

May wasn't my best reading month, but for the most part the books I did finish were well worth the time. They included two mysteries, a biography, a NYT fiction bestseller and a fabulous book of essays. And that book of essays? It will go on list of all-time favorites. 

"The Methods of Sergeant Cluff" by Gil North


I really enjoyed the first Sergeant Cluff book I read and wrote about here. I wish I could say the same for the second. For a short little book it sure took a long time to read. And unlike most books I write about, I had to go back and take a quick review of it before writing this because I had zero recollection of the plot! 

In the small town of Gunnershaw, Jane Trundle, a woman with a dubious reputation, is found dead. Cluff, on leave from his previous case, is recalled to help solved the murder. With his trusty four-legged companion, Clive, (and, despite Cluff's preference to work alone, the young PC Barker), the detective narrows his search to several suspects, one with an excellent motive. And of course, after a lot of leg work, he solves the case. 

I'm not sure why I liked this less than the first, but a friend who was also reading it said the same thing. It improves as one gets deeper into it (and it's not very long) so see what you think. (It's another from the wonderful British Library Crime Classics collection.)

 "Elizabeth and Philip" by Tessa Dunlop


This look at the Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh takes a unique approach. Written in 2022 after Philip's death and the Jubilee (and published right after the Queen died), this biographical look at the couple's relationship focuses as much on the times of the period they married and in which they lived as it does the relationship.

Dunlop looks at those times -- and relationships in the post-war years -- through the eyes of six nonagenarians (and one over 100 years old), all of whom followed the royals throughout their lives. Their takes on Elizabeth and Philip are honest, sometimes admiring, and at others not so sure that he was as wild as Elizabeth as she was about him. Rather then mucking through scandals, it focuses on the pressures put on Philip (mostly) during the couple's marriage. He was not a good fit for the palace courtiers, many of whom tried to undermine his power within their relationship. And yet, while he may (or may not) have wavered in his devotion to Elizabeth, his devotion to the Crown and his role within it, never fell short.

It's difficult to fully describe this book in that much of the biographical material is pretty common knowledge to those who are familiar with the Royal Family and Elizabeth and Philip in particular. There are no new nuggets of information about their relationship. 

What IS different -- and I found fascinating -- was looking at that relationship through the lens of the times in which they lived, the appearance they presented, and the people with whom they were most involved on a day to day basis -- the palace staff and courtiers, the Prime Minister and other key players. 

I found the take interesting and unique -- and even though I've read much about them both, was glad I spent the time with this one.

"The Paris Librarian" by Mark Pryor


Mark Pryor takes us on another adventure with U.S. Embassy executive (and former FBI operative) Hugo Marston. When the head librarian of the American Library in Paris, Paul Rogers, is found dead in his locked office the day he was supposed to meet Hugo to show him a first edition book, Hugo takes a more than passing interest in the case (especially as he was with one of Paul's associates who discovered the body.) 

Working unofficially but in tandem with Parisian police lieutenant Camille Lerens, the death is first considered a suicide. But when Paul's wife is found dead -- and murdered in her bath -- the forensic team digs deeper and discovers Paul was murdered as well. 

Coinciding with the investigation is a visit from a Merlyn, a woman who helped him in a previous case, and her friend Miki, a writer researching a biography about a former film star who may have played a critical role in the Resistance. When another body is found, Hugo wonders -- could the mystery of the deaths be related to the actress' past.

This is an interesting and fast-reading series of books. It may help to read them in order but I haven't and it hasn't affected how much I enjoy the characters and, of course, the beautiful Parisian setting.

"Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus


I don't read a lot of fiction and I never read anything that is so current on the NYTimes best seller list. So when a friend passed this between the other two of us, I was curious. And I wasn't disappointed. "Lessons in Chemistry" is soon to be an Apple+ TV series.

The story is centered around two people who are both brilliant chemists and -- most likely -- on the spectrum. They rarely smile, they don't engage with their colleagues (who are terribly jealous of him and are certain she is only using him for his fame) and neither have had happy pasts, either in terms of their families or relationships. Elizabeth is brilliant and largely self-educated; Calvin is homely and a Nobel Prize winning scientist. And yet, they rapidly discover they are soul mates. 

So, when tragedy strikes and Elizabeth is left with a baby on the way and a very smart, adopted dog, she is a woman steeped in grief and -- she discovers -- one without a job. Through a series of accidents, she becomes the host of a new kind of cooking series, "Supper at Six," in which she not only shows her viewers how to prepare delicious food, she also instructs them in the chemistry of cooking -- and in doing so, helps empower them to reach beyond their 1960s "housewife" label. 

The book stretches over about 12 years and through it we see Elizabeth's brilliant and precocious daughter grow up and face her own challenges, including her curiosity about her parents' backgrounds. When a reporter shows up to interview a reluctant Elizabeth, Pandora's box is opened.

Because I'm not a fiction fan, I was a little skeptical of this -- would it be another "meet cute" novel, just waiting to be a Hallmark Movie? No. It is so much more. There's nothing fluffy about this book or its characters and in reading it, one realizes how empowering the ideas presented can be. If we think back to our parents (or maybe grandparents!) and the social mores of the 1950s and '60s, Elizabeth's struggle to be herself becomes very real -- and one we hoped that those we loved were able to realize for themselves. 

(Oh -- and that Hallmark movie idea? Nope. But if you have Apple TV+, you'll find "Lessons in Chemistry," with Brie Larson as Elizabeth Zott, coming later in 2023.)

"These Precious Days" by Ann Patchett


 

Sometimes there is a book that you never want to end because the writing is so good, the connection to the author is so strong, the feelings so deep that you just want to stay with it, be with it. "These Precious Days," a series of essays by Ann Patchett, was that book for me.

Patchett is often most known for her novels, such as "The Dutch House" and "Bel Canto." Many of her essays, including most or all of these, have appeared in publications including The New Yorker and Harpers, among many others, and may be familiar if you read those publications. Each is deeply personal. In the opener, "Three Fathers," she tells about her father, stepfather and her mother's third husband, three men and how they helped shape her. It is honest and poignant. Another speaks of the challenges of finding the right cover for your book -- the mistakes she made and why it matters. Several deal with her relationship to her husband, Karl, including his passion for flight and one of my favorites focused on the cleaning and downsizing of "stuff."

Perhaps the most personal and poignant was about her friendship with a woman named Sooki Raphael, who was Tom Hanks' personal assistant and with whom she becomes acquainted around the time that the actor was narrating the audio version of "The Dutch House." Patchett tells of a woman she greatly admires but had met only briefly, their online friendship based on their correspondence. But it is Sooki's diagnosis of pancreatic cancer that takes their friendship to the next level. Oh, to have a friend like Ann Patchett.

As I read through this wonderful book I decided that Patchett wrote the kinds of books and essays that the late Laurie Colwin would have written had she lived to this age. And that made me smile. This is the book you share with your friends. You get them their own copy -- unless you really trust them to return the book to you and in beautiful condition, because it's one you want to keep. At least I do.

55 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am quite sure that if I were to publish a list of the books I have read in a month, most people would struggle to stifle their yawns! I will probably not do it, but it’s interesting to see what you have been reading, Jeanie.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am so glad that you enjoyed "Lessons in Chemistry." That was my favorite book of 2022. I adored Elizabeth Zott, her neighbor, her daughter, her dog, etc. I am excited to check out the Apple adaptation of it although I am nervous that they won't do it justice! Did you know it's the debut novel by this author and that she is in her 60s? That added to my appreciation of the novel, too - it's cool to see someone embarking on a new career at a later stage in life!!

I also loved Patchett's collection of essays. She is such a talented writer!

Rita said...

I love your reviews.
Ordered the Ann Patchett essay ebook.

My name is Erika. said...

I think you read some wonderful books last month. All the new ones to me (I've only read Lessons in Chemistry) sound good, but I will take your word about the Crime library book 2 Sergeant Cuff mystery. I'm glad you read and wrote about the Anne Patchett essays as it's been near the top of my to read list. To be on the all time favorite books it must be really good. The royal book and the Paris mystery sound good too. Thanks for sharing these. I am surprised you found so much reading time with all the activities you had during May. Hope June's a good reading month. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

So glad you liked the books. I wish my eyes would allow me to read, however, audio and movies take its place. Have a great day today.

Steve Reed said...

I've heard lots of good things about "Lessons in Chemistry" but I haven't read it yet, and I love books of essays so I'll check out the Patchett one too. (When I get back to the library in August!)

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Your book reviews are always wonderful to read. New to me mystery novels go on my reading list.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeanie
I do enjoy your reading list and your reviews. I will add The Paris Librarian to my list to read. Thanks for sharing! Have a great day and happy week ahead.

NGS said...

I think the cover of Lessons in Chemistry is a misstep. It makes it appear that it's going to be a fluffy book and it's just not that at all. The themes are so dark! I liked that book, but the cover misled me.

I'm intrigued by the book about Elizabeth and Philip. It sounds like a very interesting perspective. I don't actually consume a lot of royal content, so it would probably be all new to me!

Valerie-Jael said...

You have read some great books again. Reading is such a wonderful pastime, and it's always so hard to switch off the light at night....Hugs, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

I also liked Lessons in Chemistry. And I think I need to read another Hugo Marston mystery. I have such a long list!

Jenn Jilks said...

What a varied collection! Good work.
I usually read at bedtime, but I've been konking out early.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm really confused, Jeanie, but that is just me. You wrote about Elizabeth and Philip having been written in 1922 after Philip's death and the Jubilee. Did you mean 2022 or am I missing something? It sounds like a book I would enjoy, even though I have read a lot about their relationship.

I am always interested in your mysteries, even if I never get around to looking for any of them.

I've never heard of Lessonsin Chemistry, but apparently others have. I always love reading your reviews.

Bill said...

Nice reviews, Jeanie. I would like to tead a few of them that were on your list. You are a good resource for books to add to my list. :)

Boud said...

I'm glad you liked the patchett essays. I loved then, and would recommend, too.

William Kendall said...

Some very eclectic reading!

roentare said...

Lessons in chemistry is quite an interesting story

Carola Bartz said...

I'm one of those people who love Ann Patchett and I have read/listened to "Bel Canto" and "The Dutch House", "The Magician's Assistant" is one the bookshelf. I can easily imagine that her essays are fabulous and I will definitely get them. Thank you for the inspiration.

anno said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the collection of essays by Ann Patchett... and your comparison to Laurie Colwin seem perfectly apt: both make you feel like you're sitting at their kitchen table with your very best friend. Keepers, both of them, for sure.

And I loved Lessons in Chemistry, too. Didn't know that it was going to be an Apple TV show... and I'm not sure I'm going to rush to see it.

Elizabeth & Philip, though? I think I'd read that if only for the cover photo -- great picture! And I like the idea of considering their relationship within the context of their time; seems like it would make for interesting reading.

So many great books -- I enjoyed the reviews from your reading life in May. Sounds like a terrific month to me.

Victoria Zigler said...

Sounds like you enjoyed what you read, even if you feel like you didn't read very much in May. I'm glad even the one you weren't sure you'd enjoy turned out to be a good read.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I enjoyed Lessons in Chemistry too. I read a lot of fiction, and enjoyed The Dutch House, will take a look at the essay collection.

DUTA said...

The book of essays by Ann Hatchet is the book for me. I feel I'm past the age for reading mysteries and romance, but I do like the cover of the first two reviewed books: The methods of sergent Cuff 2. Elizabeth & Philip.

Joanne Huffman said...

I loved Lessons in Chemistry! I always enjoy your book reviews.

La Table De Nana said...

I have Lessons in Chemistry on my wish list..Ill look for the APatchett book I just read The Dutch House and liked it!Thanks for the reviews!

Marilyn Miller said...

I enjoyed your reviews. Funny, but I tend more toward fiction; so the Lessons in Chemistry probably would intrigue me. And then the book by Ann Patchett, I would pick it up just because you recommended it and it would be a lovely thing to read over my tea in the mornings with short stories. Now adding it to my book wish list.

ashok said...

Excellent reviews

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

As I've said before, you do read an interesting assortment of books. At first I feared a book of essays would be dry as sand in the desert, but the topics you describe sound interesting especially when they are personal to the writer. I tend to not read about royals - don't know why but I always thought Philip and Elizabeth were a great couple. I hope you have more time for reading in June and looking forward to your next share of books.

Sally Wessely said...

Loved reading about your reads! I’ve read “Lessons in Chemistry” and loved it. I will be interested to see what they do with the made for tv version. Also I have read Ann Patchett’s book. I loved that book. Quite honestly, I love everything she writes.

How do you read all those books in one month?

Regina said...

Looks like I have to add more books to my TBR list.🙂

Lisbeth said...

Another month with interesting books. Lessons in Chemistry has been on my radar for a while, and it sounds like a good read. I wanted to read something by Ann Patchett, and this might be a good one to start with. So nice to have a month of books of divers genres.

This N That said...

Interesting reads..Almost makes me want to read.At least if I did, I would have lots of suggestions..Thanks

Barb said...

I love Ann Patchett's writing but haven't read these essays - I'll remedy that now that I read your review. I also have Lessons in Chemistry as a sample on my Kindle. Hope your summer off to a good start Jeanie!

Lowcarb team member said...

Always enjoyable to see what books you have read and see your reviews.
I don't tend to read mystery books, perhaps I will try one soon!

All the best Jan

Carol @ The Red Painted Cottage said...

Jeanie, Thanks for your honest review on Lessons in Chemistry. I almost bought it but was skeptical of it being a lot of fluff and cuteness. I’m going to either buy it or get it from the library. I’m also going to have to read Ann Patchett’s essays. Thanks for these suggestions. Hope your summer is going along fine.

crackercrumblife said...

You read some great books! Elizabeth and Philip is one I need to add to my library holds, my mom is such a royals fan I am sure she would love it.

thepaintedapron.com said...

Thanks for the reviews and suggestions Jeanie, much appreciated as I love to see what my friends are reading and liking!
Jenna

gigi-hawaii said...

I might like the bio of Elizabeth and Philip. Though I am the type that likes scandal. Haha.

Ricki Treleaven said...

I actually have Ann Patchett's book, but I haven't read it yet. She's one of my favorite writers, and I love her bookshop, too. I need to place it higher on my TBR List!

I think I want to read Lessons in Chemistry. I've placed a hold on it, and it is popular around here!

Thanks for your reviews. I always look forward to reading them.

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Fascinating, eclectic, mix Jeanie. I've not been reading many books this year, for one reason or another. But I do enjoy a book that you never want to end.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Lessons in Chemistry seems to be on everyone's list and its been getting wonderful reviews. I'll have to read it. thanks for the reviews.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

A fascinating list and there are a couple I will add to mine. Elizabeth and Philip sounds worth a go, and the last one - 'These Precious Days'. I like a book that you don't want to end and that you want to give to friends. I'm reading 'Spare', by Prince Harry right now. It is beautifully written. I like an underdog. Thanks for the list! x K

Veronica Lee said...

It's always interesting to see what you have on your reading list, Jeanie.

I know I would love the bio of Elizabeth & Philip.

Hugs and blessings

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As always, jeanie, your reading list was an interesting read. I have seen the Lessons in Chemistry available in the library and as a Kindle read, but honestly had 0 interest in reading it. Thanks for this synopsis, but the interest level is still nil for myself.

I have been enjoying a series by Marion Todd focusing on a female Scottish DI. There are 7 books in the series and the first 4 were available as Kindle reads on Libby, but the remaining 3 are only available on audio, so I have more listens to do. I recently finished Everyone in My Family has Killed Someone (Benjamin Stevenson), The Soulmate (Sally Hepworth) and The Family Game (Catherine Steadman).

Unfortunately, the library doesn't have any of Mark Pryor's works and library loans are my choice vs. buying books. I have found some great new reads in recent weeks such as those mentioned above.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A correction to my previous post, Jeanie, as I found that the library has one of Mark Pryor's books and another one on order titled The Edge of Night. It apparently will have a new lead detective in a new series, police detective Henri Lefort

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

And there are 3 Mark Pryor books available in Kindle versions from the Library_ The Bookseller, The Hollow Man, and The Crypt Thief. I have place all 3 in my future wish list reads!

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, I always enjoy your book reviews! Ann Patchett’s book will be added to my TBR list. I hope you are enjoying the weekend!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jeanie,
Here I am struggling to find the time to finish one book in June and you read all these books in a month!! The book is a paper back and does have 435 pages though! LOL! I think I need to try to make more time to read...Something I seem to have more time to do in the Summer....All the books you shared here sound interesting but the one about Elizabeth and Phillip caught my eye...
I hope you are having a good weekend!!
Hugs,
Deb

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I loved Patchett's book of essays, and I thought Lessons in Chemistry was exceptionally well done. You had a great reading month, I think!

Sandra Cox said...

Great job on writing these reviews. Thanks for sharing.

Pamela said...

I always enjoy your book reviews. Thank you!

Iris Flavia said...

I absolutely loved Lessons in Chemistry!

Danielle L Zecher said...

You read more in May than I did. I'm so behind on books right now! But, I still plan to add some of these to my list. :-)

Polly said...

I like the sound of Elizabeth and Philip. I'm definitely going to read Lessons in Chemistry.

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I read Lessons in Chemistry and loved it! Thanks for the heads up about Apple+ -I'd heard about it but totally forgot!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jeanie,
Just dropping by to thank you for visiting and wishing you are having a lovely weekend!!
Hugs,
Deb

Popular Posts