Thursday, March 9, 2023

The February Books

Between company, medical appointments, stressful moments in our city, and not feeling all that well in our winter weather, I didn't think I'd have much time to read. I was wrong.


This month's books include two recent mysteries, a British Library Crime Classic, two "real" biographies and a biographical-fiction novel. Every one was worth my time.

"The Button Man" by Mark Pryor


Fans of Pryor's "Hugo Marston" series may enjoy "The Button Man," a prequel to the series. While most of the series takes place in Paris, "The Button Man" finds Hugo in an earlier post, as security for the American ambassador in London. He is assigned to guard an American film star and his actress wife who killed the daughter of a British farmer in an auto accident. But before he connects with them, he finds a body hanging from a tree in a Whitechapel-area cemetery. 

When Hugo finally connects with the actor, all is well until Dayton Harper escapes and Hugo and a MP Pendrith, a former MI5 agent, go on an exhaustive search to find him. They are followed by an aggressive reporter, out for a scoop and a young hotel concierge who holds a number of part time jobs and direct them to another of Harper's boltholes. Eventually, the chase takes them into the countryside and into a seedy world where more murders await.

Pryor's writing is engaging, the mystery solid. For those familiar with the Paris series, it's fun to see a few clues about why Marston might end up in the City of Light in future books, but if it is your first read, it is satisfying knowing nothing more about him than what is presented. A fun way to start the month.

"The Queen: Her Life" by Andrew Morton


Andrew Morton may be best known as the journalist who conspired with Diana to present her side of the Diana/Charles/Camilla triangle, which played a key role in the drama of the monarchy back in the 1980s. A longtime royal correspondent, he turns his attention to Queen Elizabeth II in this engaging but shallow biography.

Morton's style is accessible, not overly academic and that makes for an enjoyable and easy read. That said, it is far from the most in-depth or insightful biography of the late Queen. Those who followed her life more closely, may not find many revelations in the book but it does provide another look at an enduring figure of our time, whose 70-year reign came to an end last year with her death. I would describe it as a "gateway book" into the life of the Queen -- good information, but not deep.

What's missing? I'm not sure I read the word "Brexit" in the book. If I did, it was a passing reference and that was a significant event in the lives of those in Great Britain. Also getting a couple of passing references was the Commonwealth, which the Queen considered one of the most important components in her life and reign and one deserving a little more ink.

The book was published following the death of Price Philip and there is some information about Prince Harry and Meghan's departure to America but prior to the 70th Jubilee. Morton's sources seem largely secondary -- there is an extensive bibliography of books and articles used and referred to but that always bears the question, how reliable are those sources?

I'm not sorry I spent the time with it (it does read fast) but would advise anyone seriously interested in the life of Queen Elizabeth II to dig a little deeper with a more comprehensive book.

"Bruno: Chief of Police" by Martin Walker


Admittedly, I'm late to the party when it comes to reading Martin Walker's series about Bruno Correges, chief of police in the French village of St. Denis (though I have read some of the other "Bruno" books -- just out of sequence.)

Oh dear. Now I have another series with many books to put on the list!

Bruno is an affable police chief in the village who has a relaxed relationship with its citizens, willing to look the other way in less significant shenanigans but smart, clever and dedicated. He's also a fabulous cook -- but more on that in a minute.

St. Denis is a gentle place so when a war hero (WWII) of Muslim heritage is brutally murdered, a murder that carries all the markings of a White Nationalist hate crime, the town is on edge and Bruno is on the case. As the story evolves, Bruno and his fellow police associates begin to unravel something even more complex and potentially damaging to the normally peaceful little town.

Since this is the first "Bruno" book, we learn how he came to his post, built his house (pretty much from scratch) and has built a series of warm relationships with the villagers, many of whom I expect to see in future books. We discover his love of his garden and cooking -- food plays a big role in his life. (Walker has also written a Bruno cookbook.) All these elements add to the character of both its protagonist but also the villagers, whom I expect to appear in future stories. 

And yes -- Walker is expert at food writing. When he described a picnic on which he took his colleague Isabelle, I was ready to tear out the pages for Rick as a suggestion for the future! (And Rick is pretty good at pulling things like that together with no suggestion from me!)

I will definitely be reading more of these!

"Sergeant Cluff Stands Firm" by Gil North

 

This new entry in the British Library Classic Crime series is written later than many of the BCL books, in 1960. It is the first of eleven books focusing on Sergent Caleb Cluff. Set in Yorkshire, Cluff is a member of the Gunnershaw police.A longtime local, he is familiar with the town's residents. When he learns of the suicide of Amy Wright, an older spinster recently married to a much younger man, he is not convinced the death was suicide so much as murder. 

Despite the coroner's verdict, Cluff (accompanied by his faithful dog, Clive) decides to investigate independently, learning of an unhappy marriage and lonely woman whom, it is presumed, simply turned on the gas in despair. He begins by stalking her widower, even taking leave from the force to do so. That quest leads him to new discoveries and a thrilling conclusion.

This is a short book, only 167 pages, and (as Martin Edwards points out in an excellent introduction) has the style of Georges Simenon's "Maigret" mysteries. A fan of the author, North had tall shoulders upon which to stand. He has managed admirably.

"The Woman Before Wallis" by Bryn Turnbull 

 

 

I'm not usually into bio-fiction but when Suzanne passed "The Woman Before Wallis" on to me, I couldn't resist. The novel chronicles the story of Thelma Morgan Furness, who was King Edward VIII's mistress before Thelma introduced him to her friend, Wallis Simpon. Thelma was also the twin of Gloria Morgan Vanderbilt, mother of the designer of the same name, who was part of a renowned custody battle for Little Gloria in the 1930s.

After a divorce and while visiting Gloria in Paris, Thelma meets Lord Marmaduke Furness and eventually they happily wed. But Duke's affairs are upsetting and eventually she begins one of her own, with the Prince of Wales. It isn't until Thelma goes to New York to be with her twin during her custody trial for Little Gloria that Thelma asks her friend, Wallis Simpson, to "look after" the prince. And the rest is history.

This is a first novel for Turnbull and I'd say she pulls it off pretty well for this kind of book. While she does adjust some of the "real life" dates, she notes that in her end notes. She also includes a short bibliography, including books by Vanderbilt and Furness as well as several well-regarded biographies of Edward VIII. 

It's a dishy look into the world of the highest levels of the British aristocracy in the 1920s and 30s, in those carefree days before World War II. If this is your kind of thing, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

"Waiting for Home" by John Schneider

 

 

In our community, John Schneider is known as the retired human interest columnist in the Lansing State Journal. Following his retirement, Schneider is also a daily blogger with "John Schneider Has a Few Things to Say." In "Waiting for Home" he tells the true story of Richard Prangley, a man who was institutionalized unjustly from the age of six for fifteen years. Yet it was Prangley who was responsible, in large part, for advocating significant changes in how we view mental health in Michigan and beyond. 

After fifteen years of abuse, maltreatment, and dismal conditions, Prangley -- who had been diagnosed as an imbecile and mentally retarded several years after his traumatic birth -- sought to build and independent life. It wasn't always easy -- anything but. But with a tenacious will and a loving spirit, he somehow managed to achieve great things and inspire significant changes in the Michigan mental health system, holding down a full time job, despite his continued illiteracy. He was the guy in the mail room who could walk into the office of the Governor -- several governors -- for a chat, unannounced. The guy who advocated for deinstitutionalization. The guy who went to the White House and was featured on CBS Sunday Morning and Good Morning America.

Armed with records from Prangley's commitment to the "warehouse," conversations with Prangley himself and interviews with many who worked with him, John Schneider reveals an often frightening and ultimately inspiring story of a man who simply wouldn't give up, despite any limitations or perceptions he may have faced. 

(The book was written in 1998. Prangley, now retired, is still living in our community. He and Schneider have maintained a long friendship and you can read more about him by searching his name on Schneider's blog.)

67 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Nice book list for February Jeanie. Isn't it fun when you don't think you'll read much and you end up reading a lot? I think Morton's book on the Queen wasn't a bad read, and yes, not for someone who wants lots of details.I like your choice of words calling it a gateway book. And I have an Inspector Bruno sitting in my to read pile. Glad to know you liked it, and one reason I haven't read it is I seem to have so many series I'm into already. I know you know what I mean when I write that seeing you said the same thing-smile. I also have the Woman Before Wallis in my audible account.I haven't listened to that one yet either. And thanks for the other mystery recommendations. Sergeant Cuff sounds like a good travel book where you could read it in a sitting or 2. It is always a top blog pick of my month to read your book posts because like you said, we do read a lot of the same books. I hope you like Inspector Galileo too, when you get to it. Happy reading.

Boud said...

Is the Winspear still to be read? I like her very much, and have not yet got to that latest. You certainly enjoyed a lot of reading despite all.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Your February reading was much better than mine. I read a few good books but my reading has been a bit lackluster so far this year!

The Martin Walker series sounds like it might be a good fit for me. Some of your description reminds me of Louise Penny's books - like how the setting is almost a character and it sounds like what I'd call a 'gentle mystery'. I just started the most recent Penny book and am loving being back in Three Pines!!

DVArtist said...

Well, it looks like you are set for reading. I am so with you on the medical appt. Geeeessss... and there are more to come. Sit back relax and read your lovely books.

William Kendall said...

Very eclectic.

Rita said...

I always enjoy reading your book reviews. With all you guys have been through lately I am surprised you got that many books read, too! :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of nice books. I read a lot - or let Alexa read books to me - and winter is always a good time to stay home and read. In the clinic I went to bed every night at 8p.m. and read till I ell asleep! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Linda P said...

I tend to stick to favourite authors and I'm a slow reader, but I'm enjoying what I'm reading just now. Well done on reading quite a few books recently. Thank you for the reviews.

ashok said...

You come up with great suggestions Jeanie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm always excited to see your reading list. We like so many of the same books. I think I've read Bruno but now I need to look for more in that series. Hope you have a good afternoon!

Terra said...

You like the same sorts of books that I do and all of these sound of interest to me. I have Bruno and this reminds me to read it.

Carol said...

What a nice arrangement of books. I think the one about Queen Elizabeth is the one I would find most interesting and I think the Waiting For Home sounds like a good read as well.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Good range of suggestions
"The Button Man," is a nice title, catchy.

Jenn Jilks said...

You have been busy AND reading! Good for you!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...


The book that took my attention today was the first in the series with Bruno in the small village. I like great characters and this one just might be a great fit for me. I do love discovering a new series to love. It certainly didn't hurt when you said the writing style was similar to the Maigret books!

anno said...

Jeanie, this is a great booklist for the month! And I'm bookmarking it for the inevitable time when I'm ready to read another mystery. The book by John Schneider looks mighty interesting, though -- and I was happy to discover his blog. Thanks!

Here's hoping March and April are more settled months.

Prims By The Water said...

I dont have time to read, but if I did it would be the Woman before Wallis and the Queen. Janice

Pam said...

I have a bad habit of sticking with authors that I know, ones I have read before in the past. Silly, I know.

Victoria Zigler said...

Glad you had such a great reading month.

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks Jeanie, I enjoyed your great reviews. Looks like a very interesting selection.

kathyinozarks said...

thank you for sharing your latest list of read books. I do allot of reading too, always like seeing what others are reading

acorn hollow said...

You read some wonderful books I am getting a few together for my trip coming up. I love historical fiction and a British murder or two
Cathy

Sherry's Pickings said...

Lots of good reading there Jeanie. I seem to be doing less of it these days. I think my brain has been fried by social media and i can't concentrate for long anymore :=)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Another enjoyable post with your very thorough summaries, Jeanie. I read The Queen as well and found it entertaining and informative, but most likely won’t read further bios on the late queen. The Woman Before Wallis is available as an audio book and I may listen in future as its now on my list. The Martin Walker series is new to me and the limited Kindle books are all on a library wait list. I was able to find a couple of the Pryor Kindle ebooks but not the one you mentioned. Thanks for adding to my future reading list, as always.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

You did manage to get quite a bit of reading done!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

What you read and what I read, Jeanie, are oceans apart, but we both read - and that's a good thing.

La Table De Nana said...

I just booked out a Martin Walker and told my husband about them:) You never know where your books go Jeanie..Stories about institutions are so sad:(
Bon weekend.. Spring is coming.. mine will be late more snow thatn I have seen in 21 yrs..

crackercrumblife said...

The British Library Classic Crime covers are so wonderful! I need to read them for that reason alone. Lol.

The French Hutch said...

Jeanie, looks like you did a enjoy a lot of reading with all going on in your world. I've spotted one on your list that I am adding to my reading list. "The Woman before Wallis" sounds interesting and I've always enjoyed reading the history there. Hope you are feeling better and have a nice weekend.

Pat said...

More to read, they all sound interesting. Thanks for all of your suggestions and reviews.

Iris Flavia said...

Especially the last book sounds very interesting. As the blog of the author.

gigi-hawaii said...

Interesting selections. I am not sure which I would pick to read. The last one sounds depressing, though inspiring.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Jeanie, I had never heard of Bruno Chief of Police until one of my cousins in Canada recommended it to me. I ordered it right away, and it has finally worked its way to the top of my to-be-read pile!

roentare said...

You are such an avid reader that I can see the charm being immersed in these universes. I recently finished a book about 1960s in Australian recent history. It was initially hard to get into the gear reading it all. Then suddenly I felt the connection to Australia in a deeper bond.

Lowcarb team member said...

You did well!
Lots of good books, many thanks for the reviews.

Have a good weekend.

All the best Jan

Veronica Lee said...

I enjoyed your reviews, Jeanie.

Thanks for all of your interesting suggestions.

Hugs and blessings.

Tammie Lee said...

I use to look forward to your mystery reviews, thinking of getting them for my mom. But she passed away in December..... It was so hard coming to your blog. I tried two browsers and both warned me not to continue to your blog due to danger. I risked it, seems fine to me. But strange. Keep on enjoying your books.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jeanie, You read a lot of books,well done! I wish I was able to read books like I used to, but my eyesight is not great and I'm waiting for my first Cataract surgery, but I read your reviews and they captured my imagination and if my eyes did not water so much, I think I would enjoy your choices.
All the best.

Red Rose Alley said...

I have Andrew Morton's, Princess Diana, book. It is the one book that I've never parted with. I cherish it, as I cherish her and her memory. I have a special connection with her - we were married around the same time, and had kids around the same time. I remember reading all the magazines about her fashion. I kept those for many years as well. So good of you to read, Jeanie. My tired eyes won't let me read for too long. Read on!

~Sheri

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Jeanie,
Thanks so much for stopping by!! I don't seem to be able to find time in the Fall and winter to read...So I am looking forward to being able to do so in the Summer...I seem to have more time in the Summer...I hope you are enjoying your weekend!!
Hugs,
Deb

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jeanie,
I do enjoy your reading lists. I always find some new author or book from your post. I do tend to love the mysteries, Winspear is a favorite. Have a great day and happy new week!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I couldn't resist reading one of the Hugo Marston series set in Paris. (Why? Well, Paris, of course!) I'm glad you enjoyed the prequel to the series. I can see that it would be fun to look for clues as to where Marston ended up.

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, thanks so much for the book reviews, they are always so well written. I haven’t been reading as much as usual. I must get started back again!

Sandra Cox said...

You did get some reading time in there. Good on you!

Rajani Rehana said...

Super post

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Bohemian said...

You have been busy! I've probably read more in the past few Months than I have in Years. I didn't finish every Book I started, but I did finish the good ones I enjoyed. I tend to ditch those that just can't hold my attention or interest.

Lisbeth said...

Thank you for your February reviews. Excellent and interesting as ever. You manage to mix the genres which I like. I, on the contrary, love bio-fiction and The Woman Before Wallis sounds interesting.

R's Rue said...

So many good books.

thepaintedapron.com said...

I always enjoy reading reviews of the books my friends are reading, there are so many books out there! I haven't been reading as much lately, I need to set a dedicated time of day to sit down and read! Thanks Jeanie~
Jenna

Jenny Woolf said...

John Schneider sounds an interesting person who should be more widely known.

Jenny Woolf said...

I meant to say Schneider's book - it sounds like an interesting story about Mr Prangley. . (Though maybe Schneider is interesting himself too). I'm about to read a book by a journalist on our local paper which goes behind several local characters and issues.

Rain said...

Hi Jeanie! You did a lot of reading, those are some interesting books! ☺

Divers and Sundry said...

If I can ever get the insomnia under control I will spend more time reading... The books you read often sound right down my alley, but my attention span... :(

Sandra Cox said...

Button Man sounds intriguing.
Have a great one.

Friko said...

A nice eclectic mix. I probably would not have bothered with the Andrew Morton, so many of the Royal bios are not much good, neither literarily nor content wise.
I go for cosy thrillers too, anything to escape the miseries of life as it is.

Ricki Treleaven said...

You're reading list for February is very interesting! I always enjoy your reviews, and you've led me to a few great reads. I'm most interested in Bruno. Have you read any others from this series?

Hena Tayeb said...

Those are some interesting books. I read some years ago a historical fiction about how the king met Wallis. It was interesting.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

All very interesting books, Jeanie. You always do such a good job writing reviews. I have many books on my TBR pile but our book club chose many long 600+ page books so they are taking me a lot of time to read right now. I have not been feeling that well lately too--I don't think it is seasonal related but age-related..lol I do hope you will feel better soon! Spring will be here before we know it!

Gill - That British Woman said...

that indeed is a great list of books there. I need to read, one or all of them!!

Jeanie said...

Just me, testing!

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Jeanie. Looks like you read some good ones. I think I will look up Seargent Cluff, that sounds interesting. Hope all is well and you have all the doc appts. behind you for now..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

Marilyn Miller said...

Immediately on seeing the picture of your books my eyes went to Rick Steves book on London. Are you planning a trip? I hope so. That reminded me I need to get a Rick Steves book for an adventure we are thinking about doing in the fall. I love his books.
Thanks as always for your thoughtful reviews!!!!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

An interesting collection, Jeanie! The Martin Walker series sounds like something I'd like. I am currently reading The Underground Girls of Kabul. It's non-fiction, and interesting and heartbreaking, but I'm finding it a chore to get through.

Joanne Huffman said...

I'm early in the Bruno series and plan to read it through - very enjoyable.

Gill - That British Woman said...

we're in Barrie, Ontario, so the snow belt.

Carola Bartz said...

I feel like I'm repeating myself when I say I really like your book reviews, but here I go - I really like your book reviews! Isn't Bruno a gem? So far I haven't read another one in the series after the first one since there are so many other interesting books to read as well, but I'm sure I eventually will get back to him and his little village in France. I thought this was one was so interesting because it talked a lot about France's relationship with Algeria and I did learn a lot. "Waiting for Home" sounds very interesting, so I put it on my list.

Popular Posts