Sunday, September 25, 2022

Cork Poppers Taste the Wines of Bordeaux

It has been many moons since I attended and posted about our wine tasting gang, the Cork Poppers. Covid put a halt to our gatherings, and even after vaccinations and lifting of restrictions, we were hesitant to gather into a potential super spreader. But after many moons, we are together again, this time to sample the wines from the Bordeaux region.


We met at the home of Roger and Meredith during a rainstorm (which put a stop to the anticipated boat ride up the Grand River!). No matter. The wine was flowing, the food terrific!


We started with the only white of the day, a white from Roger. Blanc de Camarsac Bordeaux Sauvignon 2019 by Thierry Lurton was a refreshing offering. Barb (who likes everything) immediately pronounced "This is good!" Cheryl, our resident white-drinker said, "This is different -- it's interesting. I've never had anything like it." Rick liked it too. We agreed at $11.99 it was a good buy.


Next up wa Cheryl with Chateau Peyrabon Cru Bourgeois St. Perieur Haut Medoc 2018. It was a wonderful red blend and my favorite of the day, although plenty stepped up to that plate. It smelled great and other comments included it was peppery.


We also learned a new wine word: Grippy or Grip. Basically a positive reference, it refers to the pull on the sides of the mouth you get when drinking a red wine, probably tannins. It provides definition and texture to wine. But too much grip means it might be a little too dry, even for dry wine fans.

Needless to say, our group latched onto that word like Lizzie to her treats. As Rick said, "It grabs you by the mouth!" "Where does it take you?" asked Anne. "To the next glass!"


(However, Mike S. reminded us that grip could also be the flu.)

Dick paid $20 for it at a local wine store.

Barb presented North Forty-Five.2 Pauillac APC 2019. Roger noted it wasn't as intense as the first and Barb agreed -- it didn't have the grip. (see what I mean?) Rick said the previous red had more dimension. That reminded Barb of when she spilled red wine on her white pants at a previous event. Kate noted that's why she always wore black. 

This wine was also $20.

Anne and Clayton, who live in a small town about an hour north of Lansing, couldn't find a Bordeaux in their town so they bought a Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages AOC. I'm sure I was overstating the obvious when I said it tasted very different from the others. It was very light -- more like a Pinot Noir.


Low grip. (Barb) It was $16.99 and is available in many grocery/mass market stores.

Our wine was next -- Chateau Haut Sorillon Bordeaux Superieur 2019 AOP. It was from a vineyard near St. Emilion, France and definitely grippier than the previous wine. Roger proclaimed it "Very good!" 


By this time conversation was veering away from wine to the wonderful food that awaited us! But I think all were listening when Rick said it was $7 at Trader Joe's. Definitely the buy of the day -- and we'd buy it again.

Bob's "French Blue" Bordeaux Rouge was up next. Barb called it "Yummy." (When Anne and Barb both noted that it was good Dick said, "That's because it's the seventh wine of the day.") (Our sixth was an encore of the North Forty.Five.2)


The label was pretty. So was the price -- $12.99 at Kroger.

Last up was Kate with Reserve du Chateau Croix Mouton 2016 Bordeaux Superieur by Jean Philippe Janollieux.


This smelled incredibly good and for me it actually tied with the earlier Medoc. It was a bit in flavor like Pinot Noir but heartier. Rick said, "This wine should be drunk from a crystal glass." 

We all noted the warning on the label that if one is pregnant not to drink it. We had nothing to worry about. 

Then it was onto the buffet table. 


When Covid came in, We decided to abandon our traditional sit-down dinners for heavy appetizers and desserts. It was a wonderful decision no one has regretted. Our table included Bruschetta with a massive shrimp on top...

... along with French style crudite, kabobs, a marvelous Buffalo chicken dip, cold shrimp and more. (All this after cheese, crackers and bread during the tasting.)

 I brought madeleines that I baked that morning.

It was a good thing that I had three batches out of the oven before I overturned a full tray full of madeleine batter upside down inside the oven. Let's just say, "don't do that." What a mess!


All in all, a wonderful gathering and as always...

...the best part was the people! (The worst part was that when Popper Dick returned home, he started getting Covid symptoms and tested positive the next day. Cheryl got it a few days later, as did Bob.)  Somehow, we managed to dodge that bullet and remain negative. 

(For readers new since my last Corkies post -- which was long ago -- you can check our "reviews" (lively commentary!) on dozens of other wines here at my Cork Poppers Page. Wines are grouped, when possible, by category.)

Sharing with:   Love Your Creativity   /   All About Home   /   Share Your Style  

50 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

what a very fun event. I love how everyone brought a bottle to share and food. the food looks delicious too.
we have friends (our wisconsin friends that still drive down to see us) that visit wineries all over the country-sample the wine, enjoy the people and then usually buy a case of wine from each place.
fun times sorry about the covid cases-they probably had it before the wine party.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I've always loved going to your wine popper vicariously through your posts.

Linda Sue said...

I buy wine for the labels- I have no idea about the contents!

roentare said...

Always a pleasure to enjoy fine food and wine.

anno said...

Oooh! Interesting wines! I'll definitely be on the lookout for some of those "grippier" ones. Sounds like some delectable comestibles as well... appetizers are always a great way to encourage people to try "just one more bite" (or, one more sip).

Hope those with COVID are doing well. Glad to hear that it seems relatively contained.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Beautiful food display. I'm glad you had an evening with friends and tasting new wines.

Susan Kane said...

Your wine gathering much be a load of fun. The bottles are so beautiful. I am kinda "buy the bottle with the best labels." person. And I base other bottles from recommendations.

Right now I am interested in a "prisoners on ships to Australia". The labels are about the different prisoners, photos. AND you can go to the app where one can read and listen to these poor prisoners.
I need entertainment today.

Bill said...

Good wine, good food and good friends makes for a lovely time and it sounds like you all did.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

What a fun thing to do with friends. I do miss my wine. I had a rather delicious one I enjoyed called Jammy Roo. Not what I'd call a sophisticated wine. Rather fruity and very moreish, so you have to be careful with it. Full of fruity berry goodness. My friends and I have noticed with trepidation that numbers are starting to climb again. So it's back to wearing masks and sitting with open doors and windows.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Jeanie, what a fun event with the Cork Poppers. Though I'm not a big wine drinker I do enjoy hearing about your reviews. Your wine from near St Emilion bought back memories of our wonderful visit there years ago! A beautiful town in Bordeaux. I'll pass on the information to my hubby.

My name is Erika. said...

I always enjoy reading your cork popper posts Jeanie. What a fun idea. And it's nice to have a group you get to see for these meet ups on a regular basis. Thanks for sharing all your wines and for sharing that photo of your group too. Hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

'And a good time was had by all!' Gad you enjoyed getting together again and your wine and food. Sorry tht Covid reared its ugly head again! Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Good wine, good food, good friends - that's just about the essence of life isn't it? Getting to know Bordeaux wines is a very worthwhile endeavour - highly recommended! I expect that you all speak French now! Maybe a little slurred but French nonetheless. À la prochaine - David

Anvilcloud said...

You are very sophisticated. We get our wines in boxes. lol

NanaDiana said...

I am so glad you were able to get your Wine Poppers together. However, I am really sorry that some of the group ended up getting Covid. I think vaccinations have helped a great deal and, if someone does get it, the symptoms are much less likely to require hospitalization.

I am not much of a wine drinker but my daughter and her hubby belong to a wine group and just love it. They have had sommeliers attend their gatherings and have learned a lot over the years.

Have a great week- xo Diana

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Wonderful report of the event
The Camarsac catches my attention.

La Table De Nana said...

Great friends!

thepaintedapron.com said...

Your cork popper parties sound like so much fun, and what a great way to try a variety of wines. I prefer gatherings with appetizer buffets over seated dinners, easier on the host and the guests love to mingle and select what they like. Sorry about the Covid, hope you continue to test negative!
Jenna

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Looks like yummy food and a good time! Reminds me, I need to run my oven's cleaning cycle, LOL!! How's the dishwasher project going?

R's Rue said...

Yum

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

So glad you got your Cork Poppers going again. The wines sound lovely and the food looks delicious. Always fun to get together with friends. Have you done a blind tasting. Sorry about the Covid. I guess it is still around.

Pat said...

Another wonderful Cork Poppers gathering! Sad I couldn’t be there🥲. The wines sound great, I would have loved them, I know.
You all look so good. Tears in my eyes Love you all😍🍷

gigi-hawaii said...

For $7, your French wine was such a bargain. Good buy. I like the food, especially those kabobs, which are so pretty. The one who made it must be an artist.

Nancy said...

Oh my … I am so sorry to hear about your friends getting Covid. But because of vaccines it’s a little bit less frightening.
Your wine group sounds like a fun bunch… and enjoying each other’s company with wine is exactly my kind of fun!
Have a great week!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm glad you were finally able to get together with your friends. What a lovely selection of wines. I'm sorry your friends got sick, but I'm glad you did not.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I'm glad to see your Wine Poppers group back together celebrating again! I think everyone is ready to begin venturing out and gathering together again and still staying safe with updated boosters. I am a red wine aficionado. I never drank wine until I met my husband and he grew up with a father who made his own Italian wine and that is the first wine I tasted. It was very strong so I always judged wine by its strength of taste. I like the definition of "pull" as it was definitely a wine that had a lot of tannins. We often buy hearty reds.
Heavy appetizers are also a wonderful choice of food and fun to eat! Everything looked delicious!

Rita said...

I know nothing about wines but it was fun to join you all vicariously. Too bad about the ones who got covid, though. Glad you two escaped it! :)

Divers and Sundry said...

It's exciting to see folks coming back together again :) It would be fun to taste-test wines in company where you can share impressions in person. And that table -everybody did a sweet job of presentation, and my mouth is watering.

I'm sad to hear of the Covid infections. We may just never get fully past this :(

Red Rose Alley said...

Those madeleines sure look good, Jeanie. What fun to get together and have some wine and goodies with your friends. That spread looks fantastic! I'm not much of a wine person, but I always enjoy seeing the wines you choose for your special get-togethers. I basically buy a wine if it has a cool or whimsical label haha. I bet it felt so good getting together with the gang after all this time. My friend back in my hometown used to do this every now and then, but I never got a chance to attend. She said it was a lot of fun.

~Sheri

William Kendall said...

Sounds like you enjoyed yourselves.

Marilyn Miller said...

Now I don't drink wine, but everytime you write about your Cork Popper gathering it reminds me of the gatherings I go to for tea tasting. I was at one just this past Saturday and thankfully we could still meet outdoors with nibbles. Love your nibble table too. What a good idea.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As much as we enjoy wine, my knowledge is limited to how much I enjoy whatever we are having that night. It was nice to read about your cork poppers gathering again and the comments on each wine, Jeanie. It wasn’t so nice to learn that a few members tested positive for we all know what…will it never end?

acorn hollow said...

except for the covid that sounds completely lovely. We had a little group doing that but it disbanded many years ago. My daughter was passing around 2 buck chuck at her house last week. (of course, it is not 2 bucks anymore) Like a very mild wine Reisling is my choice not a fan of reds.
Cathy

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

What a fun evening together with great friends! I think an ap-based meal is ideal. I LOVE snacky meals like that. You can try many different things and not feel over-full. The wines sound wonderful, too. The white is right up my alley!

I am glad you didn't get covid!! Phew! I keep hearing of people getting covid when they travel. I'm probably at the end of my period of immunity and I got my booster in August - right before they released the new one. Doh. But I may be eligible for more monoclonal antibodies this fall/winter. We'll see!

Sandra at Maison De Jardin said...

Good morning, Jeanie. I love your Cork Popper stories and have missed them. So sorry about a member coming down with Covid. That mean and dreadful virus just won't leave us alone. Glad you and Rick are ok and you have some new wines to try for yourselves.

Enjoy these fall days.

DeniseinVA said...

I am very happy to learn that you dodged Covid and hope your friends feel better quickly. Looks like a wonderful gathering. I learned a lot about wine! I made a beef stew and am drinking a glass of Meiomi Pinot Noir, which I used to put in the broth also. It has a screw top not a cork! I don't know if that is considered a bad thing but I do enjoy a glass. I have taken note of all your shared. Thanks so much Jeanie :)

Prims By The Water said...

So glad you were able to bring back the gang. I know you had fun! Janice

Iris Flavia said...

Great labels. Not a wine drinker, but I bought a bottle just cause the label was so wonderful.
Now I don´t know what to do. I think you would cry if you visited.
One very small bottle (125 ml) open since weeks as I use it for cooking just to find another that might already be vinegar!
I do like the Hungarian, though, that we use for cooking goulash. I hope you don´t hate me now ;-)
Hmmmm, the food looks good!

How did those cookies end up upside down?! Too much wine? ;-)

Such a happy last pic and weeee... glad you are negative!

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, I have always enjoyed your Cork Poppers gatherings. The food looks amazing and the wine tastings were interesting. I am so sorry some got sick, hopefully they are better. Happy Wednesday!

crackercrumblife said...

That is the second time in three days I have run into Madelines! That is Billy's favorite cookie. I think that is a sign.

Your get togethers look like so much fun!! I think I need to start a Wayne County Chapter of your Cork Poppers with my friends. Lol. Louis Jadot is usually one I grab at the store, but now I want to try that French Blue one from Kroger and that $7 wine as well!

And I am pretty sure I am not discerning in the least. I imagine I probably a bit like Barb, liking them all. Lol.

crackercrumblife said...

And ugh sorry your friends caught the Covid but I am happy that you avoided it!

Polly said...

I'm so glad you and your Cork Poppers have got together again Jeanie, but sorry to hear about the covid cases, I hope they get well soon. I only drink Asti Spumante sweet white, but I do like a glass of red now and again. The food looks good :-)

Sandra Cox said...

Yay! What fun. Well except for overturning the batter.
Hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I always enjoy your cork poppers posts, even though I know nothing about wine. All the food looks wonderful, and I am so sorry to read about those who got covid. Glad you dodged the bullet. I have been lucky so far (knock on wood).

It's me said...

Nice to see….I do not drink wine anymore…I stopped with drinking alcohol….I give all my bottles away….and I am feeling good and fine….🍀🍀🍀 Happy weekend …love Ria and Leaf 🍀💗🐾🍀

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I love this idea. I've read some of your earlier posts about this group, but now I'm thinking how fun it would be to get some friends together. Tell your friend, Barb, I can one-up her. Years ago, I spilled red wine on a friend's white carpet -- twice in one night. I still cringe at the thought!

Lowcarb team member said...

Good wine, good food and good friends just go so well together :)

(although sorry to read that some succumbed to Covid - I wish them a speedy recovery)

All the best Jan

Victoria Zigler said...

Glad you all enjoyed yourselves. Sorry some of the group got Covid though... Hope those people are feeling a lot better by now.

Fundy Blue said...

What fun ~ good friends, good wine, good food! I haven't tasted any of these wines. I'm glad you dodged the Covid bug. Covid is no fun. I hope your friends recovered well!

Rita C at Panoply said...

Catching up. I love reading everyone's comments, esp as the samples continue, Food looked amazing, and I hope your friends are recovering well and that no one else came down with Covid.

Popular Posts