Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Ice Berry Wreath at Southern Exposure

"So, what is an ice berry wreath," a friend asked, when I said I was going to Southern Exposure to make one.


"I don't know," I replied. "I'll find out when I get there, but whatever it is, it will be pretty."


And with that thought, my friend Kate and I were off to an evening at Southern Exposure (for past visits, put "Southern Exposure" in the search box over on the right!) Every visit includes a fabulous dinner, a lovely craft project and -- weather permitting -- a walk around the terrific gardens, followed by a trip to the gift shop.


Well, despite a glorious and relatively warm (for late November) evening, we had to skip the garden walk -- it was too dark! But that didn't stop us for enjoying plenty of beauty.


After our first stop in the gift shop we headed to the dining area and were handed a rosemary martini. We found our name tags on a Christmas tree attached with cute red clothespins with a half-cork glued on them. (Remembering that idea!)


We wandered around before going to the dining room. There were beautiful arrangements and vignettes, all designed to get one in a holiday mood!


At Southern Exposure you don't only look around...


You look up!


The designers know how to make the best of every available inch of space and the top of a cupboard is another platform for pretty!


A long table is staged with greens, lights and candles.


And this giant rocking horse (one of two) took center stage. I thought of blogger Elizabeth when I saw that!


And from this covered area outside the dining room you could peek inside to see what was in store!


The dining room is in the old Milking Parlor of this farm but it is hard to imagine cows in this warm and beautiful room! Tables are set elegantly.


I particularly liked the idea of placing a vintage photo under glass at each setting over an ivory tablecloth.


Of course, every bit of space was used there, too, from buffet chests...


...to the chandeliers!


The staff is introduced and dinner is served!


I loved how the butter was served on a rose petal.


Our dinner included wine, roasted acorn squash serving as a bowl for a sausage and rice mix, salad and pumpkin pie. I loved the little rose nosegay on the plate!


It was very festive and we were very happy!


After enjoying dinner, we headed over to the craft tent, where instructor Micah talked about the history of the wreath and described the various kinds of pine that we would add to our ice berry wreaths. White pine, scotch pine and the one I can't remember!


We each had a basket of pine to add to our wreath which was already filled with beautiful red berry branches.


And then, it was just a matter of inserting the pine in the direction of the berries!


This group of about 60 left with a beautiful project and a lot of wonderful memories.


I'll share mine when we do the Christmas walkthrough at home! Meanwhile, 'tis the season so don't forget to look up!


And don't forget to believe!

Happy to be joining Share Your Cup, Sweet and Simple Fridays and Pink Saturday today! Trust me -- glorious eye candy awaits!

31 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

What a wonderful place to visit and eat a great meal in good company. Sounds like you had BIG fun. I am looking forward to seeing your wreath soon. Have a great day, hugs from freezing Germany, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

Very enjoyable pictures! Their designers have so much imagination, don't they?

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW, WOW, WOW. You knew I'd love that rocking horse, didn't you? It's a gem.

Southern Exposure knows how to create fantastic vignettes. I also like to use the tops of my cabinets and such for creating various elements that set a mood. This place ROCKS.

Can't wait to see your Ice Wreath now.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Gorgeous! I love the wreath and what a fun time you had.

Preppy Empty Nester said...

OMG!!! How fun! That rosemary martini sounds pretty good to me! Great photos as always dear Jeanie!! Enjoy your week!!

Jenny Woolf said...

What a lovely place it is. I don't think I have been anywhere quite like it. How do they describe this business, Jeanie? It's not quite a craft workshop. Nor a fine restaurant. Nor a gift emporium.... not exactly any of those but such a good idea!

Daniela said...

@ Jeanie
for sure you had such a wonderful time amongst all that goodies and in that so charming place .. I wonder how special your dinner also was !

I'm so grateful to you for sharing all the joys you live, this is such a blessed place, thank you !

Hope you're having the best of weeks,
I'm sending my dearest love to you

Xx Dany

Joanne Huffman said...

Just the thing to bring on Christmas spirit!

My name is Erika. said...

Wow. The greenery is gorgeous. I love seeing your photos when you go there. And the dining room is so festive! Looks like you had a fun time out. Hugs-Erika

Marilyn Miller said...

Stunning! The photo of the table ready to serve you was amazing. I loved the idea of sitting there with that very festive meal. The icing on the cake for sure was a wreath with those beautiful red berries. What a treat.

Danielle L Zecher said...

How pretty everything was! That sounds like such a neat place.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

What a fun night! A beautiful wreath Jeanie. I had heard of snow berries, but never ice berries. Would love to attend something like this! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

BeachGypsy said...

my goodness, that place is stunning! The decorations are just GORGEOUS! I'd love to go there. Can't wait to see your pretty wreath! Bet you found a special place to put it! Thanks so much for sharing these lovely pictures, I sure do enjoy them.

Maggie said...

I always look forward to your Southern Exposure posts, they have really pushed the boat out for Christmas this year, everything looks absolutely wonderful.
The dining room is so festive and the food looks delicious as always.
Can't wait to see your iceberry wreath!

Bella Rum said...

What a beautiful place Southern Exposure is. That acorn squash and salad looked so pretty on the plate. The table setting was beautiful and all the decorations. This post is a feast for the eyes.

Victoria Zigler said...

I love how they go all out there, including theme menus and everything... I always love hearing about it when you've been.

Sandra Cox said...

I always enjoy your tours of Southern Exposure. It's just like spending time in fairy land.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Jeanie, isn't it wonderful to have a great place like that where when someone asks, "What is it [the project]?," you can say, "I don't know, but whatever it is, it will be pretty." Looks like you could say the same thing about the dinner! I hope I get to go there someday!

Doodle T said...

I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful Christmas table...wow...positively stunning. Such a lovely event.

Mary Rose's said...

Okay, I get it now -- the Iceberries are the little red berries.
I thought for sure there was frozen water involved in this process, but no.

I do love the idea of a rosemary Martini, though!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

What a FUN place to be! Jeanie, these berries are marvelous and lend so much natural cheer to any setting! And you too, you are having warm temps too? We had snow a week and a half ago and it melted the same day. A bit of fog last weekend which made for great photos, but it doesn't feel like December! But with friends, good food and crafting, the Christmas spirit lives. LOVE your posts from Southern Exposure!

The French Hutch said...

Oh Jeanie, what a magical evening this must have been. Beautiful and elegant decorations and the food is glorious. i have to remember the way they served the butter, on a rose petal! I know it was a fun evening, just look at the smiles on those faces. I enjoyed looking around so much...........

shoreacres said...

I thought real ice would be involved, too -- although it would be a little hard to get it home, now wouldn't it? Remember when it was all the rage to freeze things into ice rings and use them in the punchbowl? Good times!

Slow Marks said...

The florist was absolutely lovely and kind. Would use these guys again to send thoughtful bouquets to my clients. Prefer using local Flowers NYC business over the large delivery chains.

Barb said...

Southern Exposure is a magical place. I always love when you take us along. No matter the season, it's cozy and welcoming. Two of the angels in your photos are ones I have living at my house!

Arti said...

I'm heading to a Christmas market now but don't think I'll see anything as beautiful as yours here!

La Table De Nana said...

What a fabulous outing:)

I think you werevery lucky to partake..

I love sausage recipes in squash..especially acorn..

I bet you had a ball!

bj said...

what a great place to visit

Ann said...

That long Christmas table is glorious.
Ann

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That meal looked amazing! I love squash so would be all about a meal like that! And the tables were set so beautifully! I love the use of a simple ornament on each setting, too. That would be inexpensive but so festive! I can't wait to see how your wreath turned out!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

What a wonderful holiday event! I love the project of making a Christmas wreath, so much fun! Thanks for sharing all the photos!!
Hugs, Jody ♥

Popular Posts