Monday, September 28, 2015

The Busy Season -- Looking Ahead to October!

Every month I receive a handful of magazines I enjoy and see even more on the store racks that pique my interest. I'm always eager to see what is in store for the given month -- new ideas for decorating and entertaining in particular. But by the time the magazine arrives, I often realize that I just don't have the time to implement all the fun things I noticed.


Holiday Issues are the classic example. You' find wonderful craft ideas, entertaining menus and tablescapes, delicious recipes, terrific gift and decorating ideas. And if you can master any of those after December 1, you are a far better person than I am! By December 1, my house better be decorated, gifts under control and parties planned if I'm going to pull it off with the other activities or travel that may happen that month.

Now, I don't advocate over-pushing the season. Believe me, I don't want to see an overabundance of Christmas before Halloween. But thinking and planning ahead may help alleviate some of the stress that comes with the Busy Season.


So, beginning this month on the Marmelade Gypsy,  I'm going to feature a "Look Ahead" around the middle of the month. I may (or may not) include some ideas you can implement, but more likely, it will include things to think about so you can get your plans in order well ahead of the rush.


Believe me, I know that so many of you are so filled with ideas, I'm quite certain I might be restating the obvious! Hopefully you'll be reminded of something that works, learn something new or share some of your favorite tricks in the comments!

Let's start with October -- harvest, Halloween and fall!

Halloween 

This is a big one, especially if you have little ones. If you have more self control that I do, thinking about buying your candy now. If you live in Goblinland, you will soon have witches, princesses and oversized bumblebees and ladybugs ringing your bell! Yes, you may find good deals leading into the holiday. But you may also find them now. Even if the price is the same, you won't have to worry about getting the leftovers (the necco wafers that may bring tricks!).

Pat's easy "Phantom" pumpkin. Simply carve out and make your mask with acrylic paint. An LED or battery light inside keeps it safe.

Consider ordering online if you prefer. (And if you are like me and hide the candy after you buy it well ahead of time, leave yourself a note on your calendar or something you are likely to see as to where you put it. Otherwise, you may have lots of mini-bars in the Christmas stockings -- which isn't a bad idea, either. (In fact, if you have a good deal of self-control, the after-Halloween sale is a great time to stock up on sweet stocking stuffers.)


I'd be remiss in not also suggesting non-candy giveaways if you can find the right thing. Stickers, pencils, silly toys are all good ideas. Web sites like Oriental Trading Company often have bulk buys. And I know -- some of that stuff is tacky but to an eight-year-old kid, it's kind of cute. (And do you really care what the teenaged boys dressed as something creepy really think about your treat? Only if you're in a "tricky" neighborhood!)

Inexpensive, no-sweat centerpiece: Creepy skulls from the Dollar Store enshrined in a glass bowl (or cloche -- even better!)

There are lots of good online sources for Halloween party planning, including plenty of recipes for creepy centerpieces (olive eyeballs sitting in greasy water). Google "haunted house" or "creepy decorating." If you're thinking of a Halloween gig for your kids, check Pinterest or get your ideas now because making shrunken heads out of beets takes time. (That's a Martha idea.  I did this once. They are very creepy but I didn't make the cloak -- I just stuck them in plants. Sewing crepe paper cloaks for beets just was too over the top for me.)

Fall Decorating 


I know a lot of you bloggers are already into this. If you haven't started, it's time! Take a look at what you have and decide if you still really want to use it and where. (If you don't, Goodwill will love it. Or, dissemble pieces and use them in your crafty projects.)


Remember the power of gourds! Picking up a bag at the grocery (or selecting your favorites from a bin) can offer instant decorating. Put them in a bowl or basket, add a bit of sparkle (if you like) and you are good to go!

 
Don't forget lighting! Why save those holiday lights just for Christmas? The tiny ones can make for an eerie and lovely focal point or gently brighten up a dark corner. (And bonus points -- they're already untangled when it comes time to decorate the tree!)

 

Mums are plentiful at this time of year and they are lovely inside or out. Check around for the best deals. You may be able to find lovely plants with lots of buds that will get you through the season. (And if you have garden space, don't forget to plant the hardy mums -- one less decorating task for next year!) Silks might work better for set-em-and-forget-em areas. There are some lovely ones out there at reasonable prices. (You might pay a bit more but find somewhat better quality in floral shops as opposed to craft stores) Mix and match them with your favorite gourds or pumpkins.


And of course, your pumpkins stand a good chance of lasting through Thanksgiving, depending on your climate.

Now is the time to pull out those cozy quilts and use them! Drape them over the back of a chair or (if you have neat eaters) use as a pretty table cover. (I love that concept but I don't have the nerve to eat on my antique quilts. Too much pasta in this house...) There's a cozy, homey feel that comes with sharing -- and using -- your quilts that goes beyond having them neatly folded on your quilt rack!


You can do my favorite pre-Christmas trick with your fall things as well. Bring what you can -- wreaths, certain decorative pieces, small boxes -- up to the guest room or another non-trafficked space -- whenever you come upstairs from laundry or litter boxing. When the time comes to put it up, it's close at hand. (This only works if you aren't expecting guests!)

Entertaining

Don't you love the party and entertaining ideas you see in magazines? I do! So, think about the kind of fall gathering you might want to have now and get "ready" for it. Are you planning a fun tailgate for homecoming? Maybe a soup-and-salad dinner or a harvest feast. Maybe it's a Halloween party -- for adults or kids, complete with pumpkin carving and costumes.

Invitations. I know evites are all the rage and certainly less expensive. Sometimes it's the only way to go. But if you are like me, you appreciate an invitation in the mail and if you are a crafty type like me (and believe me, I know not everyone is!) it's kind of fun! You can find many templates online that are computer-ready -- just fill in your info. If you have storage space, check out invites after the holiday (this is especially good after Christmas) and get them on sale. Consider photo sites where you can drop in favorite photos or information. Or start making them when you get the idea! Craft stores are filled with blank card templates. Cull through your fall images and paper stash, mix and match. Making your own isn't everyone's thing -- but it can be fun and memorable!

Shop Early. Shop for color-related things early, while you have the best selection. If you're going the paper plate route for a tailgate, consider the dollar stores, which have a fairly good selection of seasonal items and often have your team colors. Party stores carry the color themes to a greater degree. Get enough, which means more than enough. Trust me, if you're buying paper plates, you'll find tons of good ways to use the extras!) And don't forget extra plastic forks, especially if you're serving a forky dessert. Check the dollar store for those, too.

Think Ahead. Consider items you might be able to use later during the fall season. You might find a great platter that will be put into service for Thanksgiving, too. (Again, don't discount your dollar store or discount decorating stores.) I always get extra red paper plates at Christmas -- Valentine's Day is just around the corner.

There are lots of great pumpkin soup recipes online. Don't forget to add your own touches -- apple or cranberries, a favorite spice. A low centerpiece of gourds, creepy candlesticks and seasonal placemats make for an easy table setting.

The Grocery Connection. Pick up non-perishable or frozen items at the store while they are on sale, even if your gig is a few weeks away. (I'm doing this for Christmas baking now when I see good deals on butter, nuts, chocolate and staples). Canned pumpkin often goes on sale -- an orange pumpkin soup for Halloween, your pies or pumpkin rolls in November. If you're tight on cupboard space in the kitchen, get a plastic tub with a lid (it can even be an under-the-bed box) and store it there -- well, not the butter!)


The Food Plan. Get your food plan in order long before your event. Again, this allows you to shop sales and possibly bake or at least prep food ahead. Check out new recipes while you're watching telly or find some of the old favorites. Did you collect those recipe books to sit on your shelves?

Keep it simple, keep it low! Wooden tones and raffia make this centerpiece one that will disappear in no time!

Don't Overcomplicate! Remember, don't over complicate things! There are lots of wonderful tablescapes with many details that are prize-winning in every way. I see a lot of them online and I love them! But if you don't have the space, the time or a large enough table to accommodate a table fit for Downton Abbey's biggest party, don't worry! A simple centerpiece (keep it low, please!) with seasonal flowers, an arrangement of gourds in a basket or even a festive fall piece from your decorating stash may be all you need to set the mood. Add the right placemats or tablecloth and you are good to go!

Party Favors.  If you are a party favor person (and I am), here are a couple of ideas for inexpensive take-aways for your guests. Of course it depends on the size of your group but for a gathering of fourteen to sixteen people try one of these harvest ideas.

For the crafty, another easy party favor: Using gourds, jack-be-littles or small pumpkins, highlight with a gold glaze (I used USArtQuest) Tie on autumn flowers, leaves, raffia, moss. You can use them as a centerpiece or have by the door for guests to take when they leave. Time per pumpkin -- five minutes painting; five minutes embellishing (max) after brief dry time.)

Package mini-loaves of homemade pumpkin bread, fall cookies or your favorite savory in the decorative paper bread pans that you can find at stores like Michael's, Home Goods or T.J. Maxx (and I'm sure others -- those are all in my neighborhood). Just cover with plastic wrap and tie up with a fall ribbon. Leave them in a basket by your door so it's easy to remember to take along when your guests leave.

Or, you can take inexpensive (think Dollar Store) vases, tie with raffia and fill with fall flowers. These can be part of the table setting (including name cards, if you like) and a pretty takeaway.

We were all happy to take away the Cork Poppers favor Barb created. Glueing corks to an inexpensive base, she topped each off with a single rose, some raffia and our place cards.

OR, go slacker-simple. Pick up two or three bouquets of fall-themed flowers (and yes, you can get these at the grocery store, which quite often has respectable flowers). Put them in a tall vase near your entry -- a lovely greeting arrangement. As your guests leave, let each guest take home a flower or two from the arrangement.

And did I mention that most of this can be done ahead of time? Bread or cookies baked next week and frozen. Vases (little glass spice jars are cute for this, too) can be collected at any time. Looks for sales and coupons. The flowers at the door? Get those fresh!


The point is, we are entering the Busy Season. Families with children will have all the school activities pulling at their time. Even if you don't do much with Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas/Hanukkah tend to be major events and they come back to back. Holiday travel may be a part of your plans. There will be holiday gatherings with friends and offices.

And we want to enjoy it.

A clever pumpkin "sculpture" from the 2010 Ghoultide Gathering (artist unknown)

I know I'll still get stressed this season. But if I can take my own advice, I can count on it being a little easier.

Look for November's look-ahead in mid-October!

19 comments:

Mary Rose's said...

Genius ideas, Jeanie -- I especially liked using Yuletide holiday lights (like those candles) at Halloween. And seeing the apples in a bowl of raffia (?) pieces, well, it initially looked to me like longleaf pine straw, which is everywhere in South Carolina. That would look cool, too.

Someday, I'll be at your front door, hoping for a tour of *all* the crafty stuff!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

This was fun to read! You have such great ideas and it's good to read a post like this to remind me to get on my game! I pretty much only decorate for Christmas but I think that will change when I have a home and trick or treaters. Phil and I will carve a pumpkin so we talked about that this weekend as we need to make sure we have a cat-themed stencil to use (no free handing for us!!!). I'm starting to think about Christmas as I want to get my cards out around Thanksgiving because I had a slight address change (diff unit #) and I'd like to alert people to that before they start sending cards (although most probably won't notice but oh well!).

I'm looking forward to seeing more of these posts!!

21 Wits said...

Lovely things! I'm not a big fan of winter being next in line, but autumn sure has the best of holidays and decorations to enjoy, and pumpkin spices and lattes and all that yummy stuff that comes with fall!

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

I absolutely love your fall decor, your decorating and entertaining tips, Jeanie!! And the pictures are so wonderful -- really put me in the holiday mood!

Sally Wessely said...

Oh my gosh, you are just full of ideas and beautiful photos too! I love your new idea. Can't wait to read more. I may actually decorate this fall. That will be your influence in my life. ;)

Tracy said...

Ooo... LOVE, love, love all this Autumn and Halloween goodness, Jeanie!! :o) Oh, yes, the last quarter is always so busy, but even more so once we turn to October! I've been trying to think ahead to Thanksgiving and Christmas--especially where cards & gifts are concerned. Some VERY good tips and beautiful ideas you've shared here... WOW--very inspiring... thank you!! ((HUGS))

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hi jeanie I am at school and need to get to eork. I wish I had the time to entertain these ifeas. Have fun!!!

Mary said...

These are all such fabulous ideas, Jeanie! And I will so look forward to these preparation posts! What a festive post. I especially love the wonderful kitty! :)

Barb said...

I enjoyed reading your post and seeing the photos, Jeanie. I never get stressed because I keep it very basic. When I was younger, I pulled something out for every holiday and season. Now, I put some seasonal fruit in a bowl, pile some gourds on the table, and call it good! We don't get any trick or treaters at our mountain house. Even at Christmas, we leave for Denver, so my decorating is minimal, though I enjoy what the city has to offer. I do like what Nature does on a seasonal basis! My aspens are dropping leaves fast - it looks like fall here.

Marilyn Miller said...

Wow!!! This post is chalked full of fun ideas. I love them all. I just got my Halloween decorations out on Sunday and did a bit of decorating. Next week I will try to post pictures. We have so many little pumpkins in the garden this year they will be fun for Halloween and Thanksgiving. My first Christmas magazine came last week also, so my mind is tiptoeing over to December also. Such fun we can have!!

Lynda Shoup said...

I'm glad I stopped by and read this. I seem to always be behind in holiday arrangements. The time seems to be speeding up these last few years.

You have covered so many aspects that I need to be thinking about. Thanks for the nudge.

And there's too much pasta going on here for me to spread out the quilts. You're in good company.

Lynda Shoup said...

I'm glad I stopped by and read this. I seem to always be behind in holiday arrangements. The time seems to be speeding up these last few years.

You have covered so many aspects that I need to be thinking about. Thanks for the nudge.

And there's too much pasta going on here for me to spread out the quilts. You're in good company.

Victoria Zigler said...

Funny you should post this... I was just discussing potential Halloween plans with hubby the other day, as it happens.

I always try to do a little something for Halloween. One year, for example, I did a Harry Potter themed tea for my hubby, my parents, and one of my brothers, and sent the guys theirs as packed lunches for them to take to the gaming club they were attending for the afternoon and evening (the club my Dad runs) while my Mam and I had ours together at my place while handing out goodies to trick-or-treaters. We had pumpkin pasties, pumpkin spice muffins/pumpkin spice cauldron cakes, chocolate frogs, pumpkin juice, and butterbeer. I still have the recipes... They're on my website's recipe section, if you want to grab them. There are some other Halloween themed recipes on there too, including a few pumpkin themed ones, among other things.

We haven't decided for sure what we're doing this year yet. We aren't expecting many trick-or-treaters, since we live on the third floor of an apartment block, but we'll make sure to have some treats available "just in case" - since you never know. I'm sure I can manage to eat the leftovers. ;)

shoreacres said...

It's wonderful to see you bubbling over with ideas. I can't remember ever being stressed by a holiday, but I do keep things pretty simple.

I don't do anything for Halloween, but I do enjoy some fall decorating. That usually comes at Thanksgiving time, or maybe mid-November, because we don't get any real autumn until then. Christmas is the tree, a few baubles, and candles. That's it! Crystal votives and plenty of good music does it for me. As for entertaining, neither my friends nor I do much of that. The most we'll commit to is a dinner party for four, and that's easy enough to pull off. Last year's centerpiece was a clutch of red hibiscus -- still blooming at Christmas!

Annie Jeffries said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie Jeffries said...

What a great post, Jeanie. You definitely have this all worked out. I'm actually going to print this post for the many good tips.

Not living in Halloween land, with few knockers at our door, we have simply turned out lights off for the past few years. Saves money and calories because I, of course, eat all the leftovers.

Annie Jeffries said...

What a great post, Jeanie. You definitely have this all worked out. I'm actually going to print this post for the many good tips.

Not living in Halloween land, with few knockers at our door, we have simply turned out lights off for the past few years. Saves money and calories because I, of course, eat all the leftovers.

Annie Jeffries said...

Ehat a great post, Jeanie. You definitely have this all worked out. I'm actually going to print this post for the many good tips.

Not living in Halloween land, with few knockers at our door, we have simply turned out lights off for the past few years. Saves money and calories because I, of course, eat all the leftovers.

Joanne Huffman said...

I am in awe!

Popular Posts