Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Unsupported Personality

There's a whole lot of crazy going around in  my world these days. When psycho cat who thinks my under-the-cover legs are prairie dogs or moles is the most sane element of my world, it's clear -- there's a whole lot of crazy going on. And more than a little is at work.
First, my office mate found a new job -- her last day was on March 1 and it's a bit lonelier going in each day without her first "good morning" of the day.

And, on March 1, another of our team turned in her notice. We've worked together about a year and I will miss her as well. We've been through a lot in that year -- several bosses, lots to do. Yes, that will be another loss. 

And let me remind those who live in warmer climates that it is still awfully cold and awfully white around here. 
When you're feeling none too swift, that doesn't help. About the only one who seems cozy and happy is Lizzie as she takes on the evil squirrels of the 'hood from the sanctuary of the window seat. Can't wait to see what she does when the screens go on. Or maybe I can.
The rest of us just suck it up, buckle up and drive carefully.
 
March is pledge month. That used to be a big deal -- we'd be there many nights doing live breaks and I loved the energy of working with our great crew, trying to come in somewhat articulately and just on time, hearing phones ring (or not). Now are pledge programs all have the breaks baked into them and even the ones with us locals are pre-taped and I miss that energy.
And then there was the computer. I had a somewhat older and slower computer, but I knew its ins and outs. We bonded. It was OK. I could link to all the printers I needed, I knew where to find everything, it was just fine.

And then they gave me another. Cool! And they installed it during Mercury Retrograde. Not cool. For those who don't know about this, here is a quick overview:
Not Mercury!

Technically, the planet Mercury slows to a halt and goes backwards. The lore of all this (and I find it to be pretty true) is that because Mercury rules things like travel, communications, electronics -- that things can go wrong. The computer goes wonky, data may be lost, the phone line might go down or you may not get a signal. There will be delays. Traffic accidents, broken stoplights, flight delays. Allow extra time.

They say that you should wrap up any legal business prior to Mercury retro or else you may have to redo it. Note to self: The appointment to renegotiate the home equity loan? Wait till it goes direct March 17 to sign. The same with our estate plans.
Not Mercury, either.

 Some folks say this is a good time to reflect. And when things go amiss, you may never know what might be revealed or who you could meet in that very slow line at the store where the checker is having trouble installing the new roll of tape in the cash machine.

Now, all of this is interesting (and I find truer than I would expect) but I don't really care. What I care is that I have a new computer with new programs that don't "look" or respond the way the old ones did. And, every time I print to my desktop printer, out comes a blank sheet with only two words.
Unsupported Personality.

It's not that I can't print. I link to our network printer ten steps away and that works fine. But my own little personal printer is not supporting my personality.
And it hurts.

Right now I need all the support I can get. Our work life is going to change radically in a few weeks, the snow seems stubbornly resistant to the warmth of the less-than-frequent sun and I'm trying to figure out how to get well, refinance the house and plan for my future.

Printer, we need to talk.
A follow-up to the above. The printer is partially fixed. It will support my personality only if I turn it off and on again. Well, better than nothing! Thanks, IT!
The planet Mercury rules communication, travel, contracts, automobiles, and the written word. It goes in a retrograde motion, where it appears to move backwards, three times a year for approximately three weeks at a time. When Mercury is retrograde, there’s a lot of confusion. People forget things. There are delays and frustrations.You should never start anything new when Mercury goes retrograde. But you can still put this astrological aspect to good use. Later, I will discuss how you can use this time period and work with the energy of Mercury rather than against it. There is usually a “wind up” period two weeks before Mercury goes retrograde. This is a time to finalize and finish things. When the retrograde day arrives, you should have all of your important projects put to bed. Now, you can’t stop your life just because a Mercury Retrograde rolls around. There are things you can’t possibly avoid or put off. But if you do have time to plan ahead, you can save yourself a lot of frustration and time by doing so.

Since Mercury also rules travel and trips, it is not a good time to travel unless you have backup plans. Expect delays, and double-check accommodations beforehand. - See more at: http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/1181#sthash.G4ZhheLQ.dpuf
The planet Mercury rules communication, travel, contracts, automobiles, and the written word. It goes in a retrograde motion, where it appears to move backwards, three times a year for approximately three weeks at a time. When Mercury is retrograde, there’s a lot of confusion. People forget things. There are delays and frustrations.You should never start anything new when Mercury goes retrograde. But you can still put this astrological aspect to good use. Later, I will discuss how you can use this time period and work with the energy of Mercury rather than against it. There is usually a “wind up” period two weeks before Mercury goes retrograde. This is a time to finalize and finish things. When the retrograde day arrives, you should have all of your important projects put to bed. Now, you can’t stop your life just because a Mercury Retrograde rolls around. There are things you can’t possibly avoid or put off. But if you do have time to plan ahead, you can save yourself a lot of frustration and time by doing so.

Since Mercury also rules travel and trips, it is not a good time to travel unless you have backup plans. Expect delays, and double-check accommodations beforehand. - See more at: http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/1181#sthash.G4ZhheLQ.dpuf

17 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

Gotcha moments. Hate them. Change at work is never easy. Refinancing is the pits and worse these days. The future. Tough. I thought we were settled and then took a big curve this week. Damn. Seems like even when you aren't doing anything and are under the radar thanks to retirement, there's still something out there to get you. Like I said - Gotcha moments.

Tamara said...

Thinking of you over there - wishing the sun will shine for you soon,inside and out. Sending you all my DownUnder sunny thoughts so that you might start to thaw out from the inside. And - really? Squirrels??? I guess our equivalent garden pest is the possom - but they only really come out at night.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jeanie. I hate change and computer problems and most of all, I hate health problems. You can deal with the other stuff if your healthy.

As for Mercury Retrograde, I wrote a couple of posts about it last year. Appliances and the computer seemed to break all at once around here. You even commented on one of them, suggesting that my problem might be the result of Mercury Retrograde. Now I'm a believer :)

When can you retire???? It's much easier to care for yourself when you don't have to work everyday. Best thoughts coming your way.

Joanne Huffman said...

Unsupported Personality must refer to the printer's personality, not yours. I swear, every time I turn around, Mercury is in retrograde (I have a friend who is seriously into astrology). This is a dreary, frustrating, going-on-forever winter and it's time for it to go. Anyway, I'm sending you gentle cyber hugs, virtual tea, and real sympathy.

Jeanie said...

Oh Jeanie, I hope thinks start spinning in your favor very soon...bringing you good health, a positive refinance, a calmer routine at work and reliable printing at your fingertips. I hope all the issues that have plagued you melt away with the snow.

Janet said...

I don't like computer changes because something usually doesn't work the way it did before. I hope you get the printer thing sorted out. It sounds like you have a lot going on in your world right now. Maybe you need some "me" time to just enjoy yourself and make some art.

anno said...

So sorry to hear this Retrograde is hitting you so hard -- you know I completely sympathize. Doesn't it make you wish you could just shut down and restart (like your printer) just to bring everything back into alignment?

Spring may be coming. We saw sunlight today! Shall we start the New Year in April? Why not!

Sally Wessely said...

Your humor shine through, and your creativity is intact, despite all that you are going through. I'm so sorry that things are dreary and lonely at work and there are changes all around. I hope you know you have a cheering squad out here. I hope spring gets here in a hurry. And, I hope you get those things figured out that make planning for your future easier. Sending warm thoughts and positive energy your way. XO

shoreacres said...

It's funny. When you started talking about Mercury retrograde, I remembered Bella Rum's posts from last year - keep an eye on your refrigerator!

I keep thinking my life is so boring, but it's not so much boring as it is uneventful. No big, bad events, anyway. Of course, I live outside the realm of most environments that create crises - like the workplace. Out on my dock, there's no one to give me the business but the birds!

I hope Mercury straightens itself out, you keep feeling better and your printer starts doing what it's supposed to. Tell it if it doesn't behave, you're going to cut off its supply of electricity!

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

One of my Facebook friends is always posting warnings about Mercury in retrograde but I didn't know what it meant until I read your explanation. Sorry things aren't going well. I hope you start feeling better soon and that your printer decides to be more supportive!

The Old Parsonage said...

Ah yes...Mercury in Retrograde. Guess we just have to deal with it:)

Loved your sweetie in the first couple shots - cute!

Leann

Mae Travels said...

Mercury going backward is only apparent, not real. Personally I don't even know how to find it in the sky, do you? It's the 21st century, astrology is for cave men, astronomy for experts.

Here's what I found by googling: "The retrograde cycle is due to the fact that we are viewing the planets from a moving platform, the Earth. The planets, in fact, do not actually change direction, but appear to do so from our perspective. This geocentric, or earth-centered, point of view is the basis for astrological measurements."

So chill out! Don't worry. Things can go wrong (or right) any time. The fault is not in our stars...

Friko said...

Sorry Jeanie, but your sad tale made me laugh, at the end, anyway.

Life just isn’t a request programme, is it? If you could write in and they played your music, now that would be good.

I hope it’s not all doom and gloom and spring will come. Eventually.

jet1960 said...

Had to smile at the printer message! Crazy! When does the Mercury retrograde thing start? We just had to replace a 3 yr old front loading washer because it would cost more to repair it than buy another one. Also crazy! Sympathies on the work issues! Still trying to adjust to my latest job change which is over a year old now. 4th place to work in 4 years time after being at the same job for 27 years has created a weirdness. Add to that the insecurity and feeling that you aren't really appreciated for doing a good job anymore...

I say I would love the winter weather that you have, but maybe I would get tired of it after a while. We had snow last weekend and it was around 70 here today. That is Alabama!

Hope you are feeling better!

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh don't talk to me about technology :) I am really aware that I need a new computer, I'm putting it off because of having to get used to it.

Love Lizzie, don't cats look so cosy, specially when it's white and chilly outside!

Marilyn Miller said...

I hope by now the printer is 100% and you are being supported wherever you need it.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Ok, the unsupported personality thing made me giggle a little bit... most of the time when I get printer errors, it prints all these strange characters. But printing unsupported personality is kind of funny. But very frustrating, for sure! I hope that it's 100% working now! It snowed here today, so I feel your pain with the weather. if spring could come, it would really help, but I do have warmer temps to look forward to when I arrive in Charlotte.

Popular Posts