Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Autumn Walk

I really hope you aren't all sick to death of photos of autumn, herons and egrets.
You see, I just can't stop taking pictures. This is one of the most beautiful autumns I can remember.
I put on the headphones (and they really DO make you walk faster) and do my time going around the large circular path.
 
At the Ditch, the colors don't seem to change all at once. It evolves, which makes every walk interesting.
The sunlight just seems to make every leaf glow.
And the water -- it looks absolutely magical.
I love watching Harry hunt for food. He is so focused, so determined.
There are actually two Harrys, but I don't know how to tell them apart, other than that one tends to be on the northern pond, the other a bit more south.
The egret tends to hang right in the middle (very unphotographable)...
...or near the reeds and weeds. (Equally tough to photograph).
It's so hard to catch a photo of them flying (that isn't totally blurred!). But I felt relatively good about this one, even if the focus is a little soft.
Of course, it's not just birds -- there are squirrels stuffing their faces...
...and playing "run up and down the tree."
The fauna is fabulous, but so is the flora, even those in a more muted palate!
There are lots of ducks. Is this a wood duck? He looks much different from the mallards.
And there are always other walkers. Sometimes we walk together, sometimes we watch together.
Someday I will get a great photo of Harry.
Till then, thanks for enjoying these with me.
I wish you could be walking this path...
...enjoying all this color and beauty. 
And my birds.
Winter will soon be here, Harry will head to a warmer climate. These beautiful leaves will make a crunchy carpet on the ground until they are covered by snow.
And believe me, I won't be ditching too much!

21 comments:

Nancy said...

What a beautiful place to walk and so many interesting things to watch and see.....I know you will miss both Harry's when they are gone but then there will be beauty in the snow to photograph....These are gorgeous shots.....

Jeanie said...

I would love to be able to walk that path with you. I love the vivid colors in these photos and that you are out enjoying it all.

Jenny Woolf said...

I don't get tired of these pictures any more than I get tired of walking round Hampstead Heath or even our own big communal garden area outside. So much variety. The garden doesn't have a pond or lake, but the Heath does and I specially like to look at it in the different seasons, or, even, as you say, on different days, because everything does change so much at this time of year.

Mary Ann said...

Jeanie. As usual your Photos are fantastic. Where are these places? Is it at your Cottage or in the Lansing Area?

Beth M. said...

Glow, yes! The leaves ARE glowing, perfect description! And I could never be tired of autumn. It's the best, no apologies. :)

Marilyn Miller said...

Your Autumn looks about as amazing as ours, but we don't have Harry or his friends. Just lovely, Jeanie!
Savor until the snow comes and keep on sharing, we love it.

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Dear Jeanie,
Thanks for coming over to visit and leaving such kind words.

You should be proud of Greg, he is such a talented artist...

Oh I would never tire of looking at your photos of Egrets Jeanie, or anything else.. You know, this is the first ~dark~ squirrel I have ever seen.. Lovely post.
Enjoy your week,
blessings,
Penny

Joanne Huffman said...

Going on your walks with you around the ditch is always a visual treat.

Bella Rum said...

These are beautiful and they make me realize there's something pretty wonderful waiting for me when we return home tomorrow. The trees were beginning to turn when we left last week. That makes it easier to leave the beach.

I'm always amazed at how much more wildlife is found around water. Beautiful.

The Artful Diva said...

we are just now getting some cooler weather - high today 82!

~*~Patty S said...

Thank you for taking us on another lovely walk with you...
I never tire of nature ♥
and you have captured it so beautifully again for us dear Jeanie...
Don't stop!
oxo

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Wow, these photos are so gorgeous! I love all the photos but I really love that squirrel pic - it looks like he/she is looking at you! It is nice to see your fall pics as we don't really have fall foliage here in the Charlotte area and the leaves were just starting to turn when I was in Chicago. So since I can't see the fall foliage with my own eyes, the next best thing is seeing it through yours! Soak it up while it lasts!

shoreacres said...

For once in my life I don't have to be jealous of your beautiful colors and wonderful creatures because I'm in the middle of a "real" fall myself! But even - especially! - if I weren't, I never would tire of your photos or narratives. You live in a wonderful bit of the world, and I love seeing it through your eyes.

This morning, I got to see some Canadian geese fly over. It's been some years since I've witnessed that. It seems everyone is getting with the "fall program" - leaves, birds, squirrels and maybe even we humans!

Arti said...

Keep them coming, Jeanie. I'll never get tired of them, colors, birds, everything fall. Why, we don't have much colors here except just golden brown, not much red. As for birds, I'm afraid most have gone south already. Love to see you still have Herons and Egrets. Also, that human in the photo looks real fine too... fits right in for a fall festival with that bright smile. ;)

Vagabonde said...

The fall colors in your area are really splendid. Here, most trees are still green and just starting to turn – we’ll have to wait to mid-November for color I think. I saw similar birds as those you show – they were on Lake Ponchartrain but I never could take a picture of them or of the alligators either. Thanks for commenting on my blog while I was away. I went back and read all your comments. My daughter in Memphis approved them every day for me – we brought Cody and little Mitsuko with us to her house and she watched them, in addition to her 3 cats, while we went south. Now I don’t know if I should download my pictures or read all the blogs I missed…

Dr. Kathy McCoy said...

What a glorious walk route you have, Jeanie! It's a great incentive to stick with exercise. I'll never, ever get tired of gorgeous pictures like this!

Travel With Lulu said...

You live in a dreamland! What beautiful scenery & photos.

Cottage and Broome said...

Jeanie, A beautiful collection of fall photos! Winter seems to be coming on way to quickly. Hope you are easing to your retirement. Have a great weekend, Laura

Barb said...

I was definitely walking alongside you, Jeanie, talking but hushing as we saw Harry 1 and 2. Your fall is glorious! I'm enjoying it vicariously.

paris parfait said...

Nice shots - including of the ever-lovely heron. Glad you are taking full advantage of beautiful fall weather.

I need orange said...

What a gorgeous place to walk! Wow!

And what a bunch of gorgeous shots! I especially love the heron in the pond with the reflected color all around....

Nice work!

Popular Posts