Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A Quick Visit to Stratford


Life's been a little crazy lately and I'm looking forward to finally being able to "land" at home! Last week I took a quick visit to Stratford and London (Ontario) to see some good theatre and my friend Suzanne (not necessarily in that order!).

 

If you live in the Midwest, love theatre and can easily get to Canada, let me recommend Stratford. While it was conceived as a Shakespeare Festival, the season is diverse with a mix of contemporary, classic, musical and yes, Shakespearean plays. The town itself is a fun spot, with lots of shopping and some tasty restaurants.

                     

This little street is a back street, yet on it you could find an enchanting tea shop, a coffee place, antique shop, record and book store, and some charming vignettes.


On my first day, before seeing an amazing production of "The Diary of Anne Frank," (updated after the diary itself was updated), I lunched at Bentley's, an English pub. The quiche and Caesar salad were perfect.



The next day I returned with Suzanne. We had a delicious chicken soup and spring rolls at Mone Thai. Then we shopped and took some photos at the river and town fountain.

                              

The fountain was built in honor of a W. R. Friedland, Stratford's first full-time music teacher. Students raised the money in 1897 (during Queen Victoria's Jubilee) for the fountain honoring their teacher. It also features water troughs for horses and dogs too!

                     

The weather was perfect -- a mid-fall day, warm but not too warm, bright and sunny. It was quite perfect! There was even a Lizzie sighting when I saw this very relaxed shop cat!


After dinner at Fellini's -- delicious individual pizzas -- we headed toward the Festival Theatre which is on the Avon. In the twilight, we noted ducks lazing along and a pair of kayakers, out for an end of the season row.



Our play at the Festival was "The Sound of Music." Suzanne and I have a long history with that play. She's been in a couple of productions, one of which was the high school production we were in together. We have high expectations for a difficult show -- it has one of the longest first acts ever! But it didn't drag for a second and the sets were spectacular. This basic designed easily turned into a mountain, an abbey, the living room, bedroom and ballroom of the von Trapp house. The scene changes were quick and entertaining and when the show was over, the lengthy standing ovation was well deserved.



The next day it was home again and time to head to the lake! I hope to have a bit of Northern Michigan fall color for you next time! Till then, happy memories of a lovely town!


Meanwhile, enjoy one last look at the Avon!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you must have had a marvelous time! I would love to explore that place and take in a show. The kitty is so sweet. Hope your week is going well.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Dear Jeannie,

This was such a welcome sight this morning.. What a wonderful time! I absolutely love the last photo, Jeanie.. Thank you so much for sharing.

It was such a treat to see you had come to visit so many of my posts.. How kind of you to take the time to leave such sweet comments.
Love and blessings,
Penny

Marilyn Miller said...

Now this looks like a totally delightful adventure. Loved seeing the tea shop and the lizzie look-a-like.

Tammie Lee said...

it looks
and sounds
as though you had a wonderful time
doing things
that i would also enjoy

Tracy said...

What a FUN time, Jeanie!! And how sweeT with the Lizzie look-a-like! And that tea shop... *swoon*... Just love when you take us along for your travels! :o) ((HUGS))

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Isn't the midwest charming? We love it here, and though we felt that New England was the end-all while living there and facing moving away, we have grown to love Minnesota. There is always something going on around here and the lakes and prairies, countrysides and city happenings make this HOME. LOVELY ideas, Jeanie!

Victoria Zigler said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip, with perfect weather to enjoy it!

Joanne Huffman said...

I'm really thinking I should go, maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

It's great that you are able to take these side trips.

The French Hutch said...

Jeanie, How great you are able to go to such marvelous places for your weekend getaways! This looks like a wonderful time to go and what great scenery. Love the photos, makes me want to pack the bags I've just unpacked! Loved this………...

Arti said...

Love this post! This will be on my list the next time I go to TIFF. I don't know why I haven't been to the Stratford right in my country (although it's still very far) but I've been to Stratford upon Avon in England twice and even saw a play there too. BTW, I'm going to the Cineplex tonight right here in my home town to see B. Cumberbatch in Hamlet. V. Excited. ��

Lizzie Cosette said...

This is a test -- Lizzie doesn't really type!

Mary said...

How fun! A wonderful friend, some excellent theater, and some delicious food! Love all these photos too, Jeanie. I would like to visit this place someday, and have added it to a future trip wish list! :)

~*~Patty S said...

Oh what a lovely lovely time in such a glorious spot highlighted with Autumn goodness too!
oxo

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That town sounds and looks so charming! What a great little getaway for you. I am sure it was great to take in the sights and spend time with a great friend!! I love the sound of music and would love to see it as a live production some day!

Looking forward to seeing some fall photos soon!!

joyce said...

growing up in the London area I was too young to take note of the heavy English influence in the locations of south Ontario. Would love to go back some day, Stratford is but a name in my memory but your pictures make it more real.

Bella Rum said...

Stratford sounds lovely. I love small towns like that. So glad you had a good time. A friend recently told me about a great antique store up in the mountains. I told H that we should take a drive. It's the perfect time of year. Our trees are beginning to change. I love this time of year..

Jenny Woolf said...

What a charming looking place! I passed through once, but in winter, and I wish I had seen it at this time of year. That lake is the most amazing shade of green, isn't it? Wonderful! And the pink flowers in the foreground just set it off.

Relyn Lawson said...

Oooo - you make me ready to travel!

Sandy K. said...

I have never been to Stratford, and it's not that far! Do they have a regular "season?" The town looks charming, as well. Fun!

Popular Posts