Saturday, May 5, 2018

Cookies, Anyone?

Who doesn't love a good old cut-out sugar cookie, the kind we see at Christmas shaped like trees and snowflakes and stars? A lot of those cookies look pretty (far prettier than mine!) but they don't taste so good. So, I thought today I'd share a recipe for one that tastes wonderful and my method for making it easy.


And my invisible assistant in the kitchen this day was Rita of Panoply, who included this terrific fleur de lis cookie cutter in her purge package for me! Since our book club selection, "The Hare with Amber Eyes," took place in France (and Vienna and Japan), I thought it would be a good selection for our meeting.


Here's the recipe -- I suspect you may well already have this one at home and may not realize it. It comes from a relatively recent edition of "The Joy of Cooking" (titled, creatively, "The All New All Purpose Joy of Cooking"). And it makes a lot of cookies!

And, what I really like about this is that just sugaring them is fine -- it's a good cookie without frosting and frosting makes it even better! I'd rather frost but sometimes there just isn't time!

Ingredients:

2 1/2 sticks of butter
1 c. sugar
(Cream together till fluffy and add:)

1 large egg (I used extra large and it was fine)
1 T. milk (I didn't have milk -- used water, it was fine)
2 1/2 t. vanilla
1/4 t. finely grated lemon zest (I just did the whole lemon because I like them lemony; this is an optional ingredient)

Add (mixed together)
3 1/4 flour (all purpose)
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
Mix ingredients together and divide in half.

Roll each half out flat between two sheets of waxed paper and chill a half hour.


Peel off top layer of waxed paper and cut cookies, rerolling dough scraps.

If the dough gets too soft, roll flat again between waxed paper and re-chill.

Repeat for the second half.

Bake on parchment or greased sheets at 375 for 6 to 9 minutes. (If using sugars vs. icing, put on before baking) Cool on baking sheet for a minute or two before removing.

Cool on baking rack before frosting.


You probably have your favorite buttercream or frosting recipe. I frost with my trash can version of butter cream -- about a half stick of butter, up to 1 T. of milk (depending on how much powdered sugar -- I just throw it in) and about 1 t. of vanilla or -- if desired -- another flavor. I used lemon juice with these -- about 1 T., because I like it tart! (Or peppermint or whatever you like)

Adjust consistency with more sugar or milk.

Note: This recipe makes a lot of cookies and the dough will freeze, so you could bake off half of it, which is probably easier than making a half-recipe. It all depends on the size of your cutters. This cutter from Rita is extra large (as are some Christmas cutters) but many are much smaller.

Sharing today with:  Let's Keep in Touch (Let's Add Sprinkles)   /   Share Your Cup   

43 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Those cookies sound so good, thanks for sharing the recipe! Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

Marilyn Miller said...

Love a good sugar cookie! The recipe sounds similar to that one I have made for years. Yummmm! Happy weekend, dear friend.

Susie said...

Cookies are a weakness of mine. :(:( Yours look tasty and sounds ever so sweet. Lemon is a nice flavor for this weather. I like lemon and orange in spring. Pumpkin and cinnamon is cooler months. LOL Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Iris Flavia said...

Sometimes (only sometimes) I´m sad my sweet tooth sleeps most of the time - and that I cannot use the oven (a fellow student unexpectedly showed me how she burned herself and I nearly passed out).
Lemon sounds yummy for summer, though!

William Kendall said...

Very tasty!

NanaDiana said...

Hi Jeanie! I just saved this over to my files. I LOVE a cutout sugar cookie-it's really my favorite one of all. I like to make them at Christmas and then paint designs on them with a small brush. One day I will find that post and show them to you. xo Diana

DUTA said...

Eggs and butter make any cookie a celebration.

Mae Travels said...

You and I are on the same page: if you want a good cookie recipe, go to the Joy of Cooking! I haven't checked my very old 1960s edition OR my up to date app to see if they are the same as yours, but I think they are. I'm not a patient cookie maker so I don't think I have ever frosted them. Sugar only.

Too bad you didn't have a rabbit cutter for the Hare with Amber Eyes.

best...mae at maefod.blogspot.com

Ricki Treleaven said...

Your cookies look great! I love the fleur de lis cookie cutter! Have a great rest of the weekend!

xo,
Ricki Jill

DMS said...

I don't bake very often- but I do enjoy eating cookies. Sugar cookies are so tasty. :) Thanks for sharing!
~Jess

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, here's the yellow cookies! The fleur de lis cookie cutter is cute. I have two sugar cookie recipes - one with sugar and one with powdered sugar. I like the one with powdered sugar best. I've never thought of putting lemon in these. Oh, they look so good, Jeanie. Can I have one.....or five please? ; )

~Sheri

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your cookies turned out great and were perfect for your book club offering. I don't have milk, so I would use 1/2 and 1/2 instead of water. If I make these, I'll share photos. Right now, it's too hot to have the oven on and I am determined not to run the AC until June. I may cave in if it gets too much warmer here.

handmade by amalia said...

Yum. Cookies make the world a better place.
Amalia
xo

BeachGypsy said...

I love sugar cookies and those look great!! Save me some , okay? thanks! LOL

Joanne Huffman said...

A very tasty post!

Sami said...

That's a nice cookie cuter. Thanks for sharing the recipe Jeanie.
Have a nice Sunday.

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, I would love a couple of these cookies with my coffee...I do love something sweet for breakfast. Thank you for sharing your recipe, they look delicious. Love the fleur de lis cutter. Have a most wonderful Sunday!

shoreacres said...

I'm still on the hunt for the perfect sugar cookies that I remember from high school days. I'll give this recipe a try, and see if they might be the ones. I do like the addition of lemon zest, but I love anything lemony. Thanks for the post!

Rita C at Panoply said...

I love sugar cookies, pinning, thank you! and I know how big that cutter was, so those look like great, substantial cookies. Great choice for your book club theme! Happy to be the invisible helper. ;)

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

They look like fun cookies. I hope you enjoyed them! :)

My name is Erika. said...

I think those cookies look yummy! And nice choice picking the fleur de lyse. I like the fact that they are big cookies and not just little nibbles. :)I picked up that book (The Hare with the Amber Eyes) and just started it this morning. So far so good! I will thank you now for the recommendation now and hopefully I will enjoy the whole book. I am still in 1880's Paris. Happy rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

Victoria Zigler said...

Mmm... Cookies!

Your recipe sounds good.

Jennifer Richardson said...

brings back the sweetest memories:)
my mother made those cookies each holiday;
it was her creativity off leash and we delighted
in her handiwork.
the yumminess was just a happy aside.
thanks for stirring those memories and sharing
the recipe:)
(and so, SO good to be here again)
-Jennifer

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

beautiful Fleur de Lys!

Carola Bartz said...

They do look yummy! I almost don't dare to tell you what I first thought the cookies look like, but it cracked me up so much that I have to share - I thought they have the shape of a lizard! Go figure.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Jeanie, these look so good. I am jotting the recipe down. Don't know when I will make them but at least I will have a good recipe when I do..Happy Weekend..Judy

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I can almost smell them baking! Send a few down south please.

thepaintedapron.com said...

I've never made sugar cookies from scratch and it sounds so easy and the addition of lemon sounds delicious!! Pinning to try!
Jenna

Pam said...

How cute....and yes, I will take one. When it is about cookies I am in. Those look so cute.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I like my cookies tart, too. Even pucker tart. I like your "It was fine" comments. That makes me feel more like trying out the recipe. I'll probably cut it in half and substitute limoncello for the vanilla. I've been doing that a lot lately. Thanks for the recipe.

Regina said...

Oh that reminds me I have cookies in the pantry. They are calling me. And your cookies look scrumptious!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I do love a good sugar cookie. Problem is I eat too many when I make them! Love the fleur de lis cutter!

Lynne said...

In the mood . . .
Look, sound. . . Sugar Cookie Good . . .
Thanks for the recipe . . .

BB said...

I love sugar cookies. These look great.

Sketchbook Wandering said...

Well, I don't bake, and I'm not allowed to eat sugar cookies, but these are adorable!!! And how nice to see fleur de liies in cookie form!

Tracy said...

Sugar Fleur de Lis... how wonderful and beautiful! They look sooo good... And gotta have frosting! ;) I love a good sugar cookie... Thanks so much for the recipe, Jeanie! ((HUGS))

Danielle L Zecher said...

They sound good! Any recipe that starts off with lots of butter is going to be good. :-)

bj said...

I do love a great sugar cookie. Thanks much for the recipe.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I just love a good cut out cookie any time of year. I have my tried and true recipe I use all the time. Yours sound wonderful...lots of butter!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This recipe makes a lot of cookies so it will be perfect for Christmas when I make many to give to friends. I usually make royal frosting for cut out cookies, but a buttercream adds more flavor. Your fleur de lis cutter is fun!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Sugar cookies are my favorite! I have a bee skep cutter and was thinking I need to make some. Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

These look delicious! And of course I love the fleur de lis cut out! My mom makes THE BEST sugar cookies. They are so yummy. I like them soft and that's how she makes them. Unfortunately they are off-limits now that I know about my gluten intolerance. But I have an America's Test Kitchen GF cookbook with a sugar cookie recipe. It's delicious but you can cut out GF sugar cookies as the dough is very finicky and can't be handled much. So I have to settle for round cookies. I make them each year for my cookie decorating party that I host for my friends' kids. I was worried they wouldn't enjoy decorating round cookies but they don't seem to mind one bit!

Katie Mansfield said...

I'll try this. I love sugar cookies and feel my recipe could be better. Thanks for linking to Keep In Touch.

Popular Posts