Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Decorating on a Shoestring, Part Two

Welcome back to Christmas Decorating on a Shoestring at Southern Exposure. If you missed the first post, check it out HERE. We have two more rooms to go!


This is the Corn Crib. The photo above reminds us that small pieces of vintage luggage or a trunk can be filled with lights and greens to make a lovely decorating statement. And the one below I thought this one was good for outdoors, especially for those of us in heavy-winter states -- stack three pots and fill them with rock salt. Embellish with lights (corded or tea lights). You can use it all winter when you get some snow and ice.


This was another fun one -- put your used wine corks to work by inserting a skewer. You can use them to label cheeses on a cheese tray or for many other purposes.


I wish I'd photographed the rake that have been cut off mid-handle. It's triangle shape looked like a tree and on it were hung small ornaments. It would be perfect in a country kitchen/home setting or even on the outside of a potting shed (should you be so lucky to have one!)

A few other ideas from the Corn Crib: Use stick-on gems to bling up your wine glasses for New Year's -- they come off easily; use strips of lace, burlap or fabric as a swag (I wasn't sure about this at first but the more I looked at it I saw the potential -- I might add a little something like a vintage holiday medallion graphic at the knot on the top.)


And if you're having your guests put their coats on your bed, "welcome" them with lighted stars or another piece.


lf you collect lace rounds, try showing them off in embroidery hoops. I think these are a little large for the size of the tree but you get the idea -- and note the mirror and how it adds to the light of the room.


Then it was on to the Main House. The owners of Southern Exposure live here and for about four weeks, they have to keep the downstairs of the house ready for guests to walk through! (Molly asked if there was a kitchen upstairs. Nope. They just have to be neat!)


If you have a piano, rolled up Christmas music or music cut into strips and added to a vase can highlight the music of the season.


The Music Room also found us looking out the windows with lighted snowflakes found at goodwill and large glass vases filled with red balls and battery candles.


The Parlor included featured a child's chair filled with gifts, moss topiaries (you can stick them into an old flower pot that is painted), and greens tucked behind mirrors and pictures.


I loved the dining room! I just wanted to sit down and dine here everyday with its cozy fireplace! Candles were placed in wineglasses, a tea service filled with florals, and a table that had seasonal dishes and glasses from the Dollar Tree.


I loved the silverware in the small stockings, which could be party take-aways.


Lighting your china cabinet can shed new light on beautiful things. Add an ornament or greenery and it's even more festive.


And then there was the kitchen. I could live there, too. I don't think I'll be putting greenery in my kitchen sink but I loved the idea of filling the trifle bowl with oranges.



I'm going to give this a try too -- hanging greens from the top of the cupboards with wire and anchoring them inside with tape. I loved this look. Note the little bells on the cabinet doors, too.


If a cookie cutter tree doesn't do it for you, maybe this cute one with decorated spoons would look cute in your kitchen. You probably have the spoons already!


Scott also offered some good tips for outside. I don't have pics of those but a few of the ideas included turning a large piece of tumbleweed into a snowman with a scarf, bits for the eyes and a hat. I know this is hard to visualize but for my Western friends, you might get it! Fill an urn with Red Twig dogwood or spray other branches red or white. Tie up that old sled with ribbon. If you have minnow buckets at hand, they make a great luminary. Try using an obelisk or one of those wire frames you can find at Hobby Lobby for the garden and hang a birdseed bell in it. (Molly said she might try that one for her porch!)


And, if you have garden statuary, don't forget to light it.


We went home loaded with great ideas -- far more than I was able to share here. And we arrived home to this...


... Grandpa Rick lost Carson's pacifier (well, we think Carson lost it but it's not to be found yet!) and somehow he managed to get him to sleep without!


Hopefully you've found an idea or two in these posts that you can take into the season! Let the merriment begin!

Linking to: Share Your Style   Share Your Cup  Pink Saturday   / Happy Holidays 2019 Party   

42 comments:

Eilis said...

So many great ideas! Funny, I've never changed the inside of the china cabinet for the holidays. I will this year. What an undertaking to keep a home tour ready day after day!

Joanne Huffman said...

Lovely decorations - always fun to see.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful decorations, loved the cutlery holders. And little Carson looks great as always. Hugs, Valerie

Joyful said...

Everything is so beautiful in soft glow. I love the dining room too but the bedroom looks so cosy.

Marilyn Miller said...

Wow! So many inspirations. I think I will bring a couple clay pots in and decorate with greens. Oh the kitchen would be where I would live too. Ha! greens in the sink, well I guess I will have to go out for dinner everyday! What fun! A sweet greeting when you returned home too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Except for the fact your photos were simply stunning, I found absolutely nothing that gave me ideas in these rooms. I see more problems than ideas. For example, those stacked flower pots freeze and break in MY climate, and I know mine isn't as harsh as yours. So if you want terracotta shards come spring, I say go for it.

Although I don't have a fireplace or a mantle, I can see lots of problems with a cat and strings hung near a working fireplace.

I never found "the windows with lighted snowflakes found at goodwill and large glass vases filled with red balls and battery candles." But I've filled glass vases with red balls before. Never tried it with battery candles, though.

The absolute best part of the post was the adorable Carson, who made me smile. I DID like the bed warmer, but I doubt it would be of much use, except as decoration. Hope you don't think I'm Debbie Downer, because I got SO many tips from the previous post, I suspect you definitely got your money's worth.

Lynne said...

Rick is golden . . .
Taking care of “little munchkin” by himself . . . he must have an inner calm!

I like the fresh boughs, love the bowl of oranges. . . pomegranates and large pine cones have a nice look too.

Your ideas made me think of my all time favorite . . .
Once upon a time I had a real life, skinny, blue spruce tree.
I had it placed in the dining room where it picked up the glisten of crystal.
I called it my “ride by tree” because I was driving down the road near a Christmas Tree Farm when I found it.
Perfect, . . . my favorite tree ever.
After the holiday I put it outside, let the needles dry, fall off.

I still have that tree, place it near the garden house and it lights the way . . . little tree in the woods.

Isn’t it fun to come up with ideas of things to make, create . . .
Thanks Jeanie . . . Enjoy!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh so many great ideas and I have lots of stuff to change things up. I wish we had something like that around here. The only shops we have are beautiful, but VERY expensive.

Hugs,
Mary

Pom Pom said...

I love the milk glass pitchers full of white flowers and the fabric swags! I might have to try that. Also, the greens above the picture frames. Sweet! Thank you!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Lots of great ideas here I haven't seen before. Pinning this for inspiration once I really get into decorating for Christmas. I have already started :-)

My name is Erika. said...

I have seen some beautiful things in these 2 posts. I love the garland of fabric tied onto a string. That was particularly beautiful. And surely easy to copy. You have me ready to decorate already and think I might be heading up into the attic this weekend to get out my boxes, and maybe find the lost fall/Halloween decorations too. :) Hugs-Erika

Katie Mansfield said...

The lace tree is a darling. The lit stars on the guest bed is a precious idea too. I'd like to know how he got that baby to sleep without a pacifier. Wow. Good job, Grandpa.

Jenny Woolf said...

Such a lot of pretty ideas. I like to look at them, and like to be in rooms decorated like this, but I know that for me it'll be the usual strings of lights and traditional baubles on the tree :) :)

La Table De Nana said...

Oh Rick and C's pacifier:)
How adorable..
Love the ideas..the lit stars on the bed! the rolled up sheet music..so many great ideas..thanks so much for sharing so many with us!

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Oh you know how I love Southern Exposure and the name is just as enchanting as the atmosphere and the lovely ladies who attend. I hope one day to have such a spot to share the joy of crafting, communicating and inspiration. Wish I lived around you!
Jemma

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Grandpa Rick must be quite the baby whisperer if he got baby Grand to sleep with no pacifier! That's tough when a baby is used to having one to fall asleep. I bet they had a great day together and Molly enjoyed some time away doing something fun with you! I love seeing all of these ideas. It makes me excited for the holiday season! We are going to decorate our tree next weekend on Sunday. I can't wait to have the glow of the tree in our house!!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I'm enjoying all these Christmas decorations, Jeanie. The star tree is cool, and the soft lighting in these pictures look so pretty. I just went to a home décor shop today, and as I was browsing through all the silver and white, the RED caught my eye and gets to me every time. I just have to have RED at Christmas. Your sweet grandbaby looks very peaceful sleeping. The glass bowl with oranges made me smile because my mom used to put an orange in our stocking ever year. Such lovely and creative ideas here, and the last picture with the blue plate and lady statue....beautiful.

~Sheri

Pam said...

Great ideas and such a cool looking place. Thank you for sharing.

Rita C at Panoply said...

What two terrific posts, Jeanie. Thank you so much for sharing all.of these great ideas, rwally inspiring! Yay Rick!

Rita C at Panoply said...

Sorry for typos!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Jeanie, lots of fun ideas! I saw a tree made from rakes in a magazine today and told hubby I wanted to try making one for my porch. Love the stocking napkin holders as well. All is wonderful, but nothing quite as precious as a sleeping babe! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Tracy said...

WOW... so many beautiful and fun ideas... Love the mantle decor in the 4th photo--with the simple white ribbon & lace garland and rosy/snowflake-filled vases... And I like the old-fashioned way of adding some greenery behind pictures, etc. The dining room is just gorgeous! A little tree in the kitchen is a fun idea. Got no space for that. But I to have set of red-heart twinkie lights I keep up in the kitchen--year round! Sweet lil' Carson... *sigh*... Well, in spite of the pacifier, Grandpa did good! ;) That pacifier turn up yet, or was a new one bought?! LOL... ((HUGS))

Victoria Zigler said...

These sound like excellent and beautiful decorating ideas too. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Also, well done to Rick on getting the baby to sleep without the pacifier. That's not easy to do when a baby is used to having one.

Barbara said...

Lovely ideas. It is amazing the things people can do with some ingenuity. Thanks for posting these ideas, Jeanie.

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

Oh Jeanie, a beautiful post filled with inspiration. I love your decorating ideas, especially the dining room with that beautiful fire place glowing.
I could spend the entire holiday in there. And what could be more endearing than this sweet sleeping baby.
Thank you so much for sharing.
blessings dear friend
Penny

shoreacres said...

Last year, I adopted the lights in the china cabinet. This year? Who knows what I'll find in the midst of your suggestions to give a little extra zip to things? I'm such a simple soul, and my decorating matches -- but I do hang little stars from the tumbleweed I brought back from Kansas, and little gold and silver balls from my red twigs from Minnesota. Gosh, I can't remember what they are now -- I knew five minutes ago. Let me go look.... Red twig dogwood!

Blondie's Journal said...

So many lovely ideas to make your home cozy and festive during the holidays. All I can say is: I enjoyed each and every photo and had little lightbulbs going off in my head! The joy of blogging...thank you for that.

Love to see a content baby! And boy, is he a doll. My granddaughter has her little 'lambie'--a pacifier that has a little fluffy lamb attached to rub her fingers on. She just turned a year old, and my daughter is eliminating it much more, as she is not starting to say any words with lambie in her mouth all the time!! Now, it's just bedtime. But oh, I remember my own little 'blankie', so I have sympathy for all of our babes!! :)

Jane x

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the lights are my favorite decoration for Christmas. They are just so pretty. I love the cozy fireplace and all the lovely decorations. Great ideas and tips. Napping Carson is a sweetie. Thank you so much for your nice comment and visit. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.

thepaintedapron.com said...

oh thanks Jeanie, I got some really good ideas here, love the idea of filling a suitcase or crate with lights and greens, and the snowflake pillows on the bed!

Sandra Cox said...

These were great, Jeanie! I just might have to try the silverware in stockings.
Carson is such a cutie. Good job, Rick.

Pam Richardson said...

Jeanie, the photo of little Carson melted my heart...so sweet! I am sorry I am late to this fabulous post! I saw several ideas I might use! The wine corks on skewers to use as cheese or food markers is a great idea! One I will use is to roll up Christmas music! Look for that to show up at my house! Thanks sweet lady for generously sharing these great ideas!

handmade by amalia said...

I enjoyed both parts of the series, so many great ideas and fine inspiration.
Amalia
xo

Tristan Robin said...

I thoroughly enjoyed both posts.

The final photo in the second installment just knocks my socks off! Nostalgic and romantic and intriguing - I love it!

The French Hutch said...

Great ideas Jeanie and so much inspiration! I haven't even thought about getting Christmas out, I want to but just haven't had time. I'm keeping some ideas I see.
Happy Thanksgiving.

likeschocolate said...

So many incredible beautiful decorations! Loved your grateful list you left me! So grateful you are well! Happy Thanksgiving! Wishing you a lovely holiday surrounded by friends and family.

bj said...

I love all the natural decos...such great ideas...my favorite is the kitchen..

Carola Bartz said...

Those stacked terracotta pots are a great idea. And I love the little stockings for holding the silverware - sweet.

BeachGypsy said...

Loved this post! Wow!--so many pretty pretty pictures to gaze upon! That dining room is just beautiful. I did love all the ideas and see a few I will use, the first being the wreaths up on the kitchen cabinet doors, I love that one! Hope you're doing well and that you had a real nice weekend!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Such wonderful Christmas decorating ideas! It is so festive when every room is decorated and I saw many ideas I can try. I've been collecting wine corks for many years and hopefully one day I'll find a use for them, like these cheese label skewers. The tumbleweed snowman sounds like a fun idea!
Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Barbara said...

Hello Jeanie, another beautiful post. I have an oil lamp passed down from my granny to my dad and then to me. It sits on the kitchen window but gets packed away each year to make room for the decorations. Having seen how lovely the one on the piano looks in your photo, I won’t be packing it away this year!
I would love to sit down at that dining room table, and the kitchen is just wonderful.
How lovely to arrive home and find Carson sleeping so peacefully. I had to smile when I wondered if Grandpa Rick was also grabbing forty winks.

Danielle L Zecher said...

It all looks gorgeous. I really like the wine corks idea. Cute and practical.

Polly said...

What a gorgeous post Jeanie, beautiful photos and lots of great ideas. Such a lovely place. Grandad Rick did very well. Molly is very pretty, is she related to you?

Popular Posts